PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Warshaper qualification

Shnigda
2016-02-17, 01:37 PM
Hey guys, I was just going over a character I made and was looking at the Warshaper PrC when I saw a note that said that the Alternate Form ability is not enough to qualify for the PrC.
The character I have made is a Hengeyokai (not playing in the setting, but DM said it was OK). So I was wondering if the Hengeyokai qualifies for Warshaper or not. It has the Shapechanger subtype, but isn't listed in the class entry.
Any help would be much appreciated!
(If that race isn't sufficient, a suggestion of an alternative would be much appreciated! Preferably something without LA and with a Str bonus!)

Necroticplague
2016-02-17, 01:51 PM
Hey guys, I was just going over a character I made and was looking at the Warshaper PrC when I saw a note that said that the Alternate Form ability is not enough to qualify for the PrC.
The character I have made is a Hengeyokai (not playing in the setting, but DM said it was OK). So I was wondering if the Hengeyokai qualifies for Warshaper or not. It has the Shapechanger subtype, but isn't listed in the class entry.
(If that race isn't sufficient, a suggestion of an alternative would be much appreciated! Preferably something without LA and with a Str bonus!)

They qualify. Having the shapechanger subtype is enough on its own. Note that it mentions lycanthropes taking the class, even though they also only have alternate form (who are in pretty much the same position as you). You just have to have at least one method out of all the ones it lists, and some BaB.

Red Fel
2016-02-17, 01:51 PM

The class requires the Shapechanger subtype. The examples given are exactly that - examples. I would not infer that only Lycanthropes and Phasm qualify, but rather that they are illustrations of creatures with the relevant subtype.

Hengeyokai have the Shapechanger subtype. They therefore qualify for Warshaper.

Shnigda
2016-02-17, 01:59 PM
The class requires the Shapechanger subtype. The examples given are exactly that - examples. I would not infer that only Lycanthropes and Phasm qualify, but rather that they are illustrations of creatures with the relevant subtype.

Hengeyokai have the Shapechanger subtype. They therefore qualify for Warshaper.

Ah, right, I was worried that it was limiting qualification to only the races with the Shapechanger subtype that were mentioned in the class. Thanks!