PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Help with build - 1h weapon Crusader

leobahmed
2016-02-17, 03:13 PM
Hey guys,
I want to build a Crusader, possibly multi class with Knight and/or Barbarian, to play a tank role for my group.
I am looking for a 1 handed weapon, so I don't have to give up on the shield, with extended range. This way I could get better control on the battle field using the Iron Guard's Glare stance.
I thought that the Trident would give what I want, but I guess I was wrong...
Does any weapon like this exist?

Thanks yall!

sleepyphoenixx
2016-02-17, 03:24 PM
The Kusari-Gama (DMG) is a light weapon with reach that can trip.
The Spinning Sword (SoS) is a one-handed weapon with reach, but it can't be used to trip. You can however wear it as a belt, where it takes a DC 15 search check to identify as a weapon.
If Dragon Magazine is allowed there's the Shield and Pike Style feat (#338) that lets you wield any two-handed piercing polearm with reach together with a light shield.

At higher levels you can also get an Animated shield and use a martial or simple two-handed reach weapon without spending a feat on exotic weapon proficiency.

ComaVision
2016-02-17, 03:34 PM
I'm playing a character like this, though I just started (level 1). I'm using a flail because they're cool. I also got my DM's permission to change the Stone Dragon school for the Iron Tortoise school from Path of War.

Planning for Crusader 2/Martial Monk 2/Crusader +16

The monk dip is for feats (Improved Trip and Shield Ward) and to get stances at better initiator levels.

Feats look like:
1. Jotunbrud
F1. Abberration Blood
F2. Inhuman Reach
H. Power Attack
3. Knock-Down
MM1. Improved Trip
MM2. Shield Ward

Intending to grab Combat Reflexes and Stand Still at some point. I'm not going to be doing a whole lot of damage but I should be able to do some lock down for the group.

Red Fel
2016-02-17, 03:44 PM
Hey guys,
I want to build a Crusader, possibly multi class with Knight and/or Barbarian, to play a tank role for my group.
I am looking for a 1 handed weapon, so I don't have to give up on the shield, with extended range. This way I could get better control on the battle field using the Iron Guard's Glare stance.
I thought that the Trident would give what I want, but I guess I was wrong...
Does any weapon like this exist?

Thanks yall!

Two things to consider.

First, to make optimal use of your Crusader abilities, you don't want your AC to be too high. Your delayed damage pool only serves a purpose if you actually take damage; moreover, if attacking you obviously accomplishes nothing, attackers may well seek to avoid you altogether and suck up the IGG penalty. So maybe you don't need the shield after all.

Second, if you do decide that you need the shield, consider investing in the Animated enhancement. This allows you to enjoy the benefit of the shield without having to actually hold it; that leaves your hands open for a two-handed reach weapon.

Alternatively, the Kusari-gama (DMG) and Spinning Sword (Secrets of Sarlona) are both one-handed weapons with reach that can also strike adjacent enemies.