PDA

View Full Version : Additional Lycanthrope forms

martixy
2016-02-17, 07:04 PM
Apart from the SRD, what other Lycanthrope forms are there scattered through the books and whatnot?

I remember seeing at least werebats somewhere, but I've no idea where.

Also, is there any easy, self-consistent way to create more forms?

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-02-17, 07:16 PM
The lycanthrope template in the SRD and the Monster Manual, and the entomanthrope template on the WotC website (archives) make it easy to create new types of lycanthropes. Just use a humanoid or giant and a carnivorous or omnivorous animal, or a vermin, of your choice, and combine 'em.

Or you could take a divine minion (also from the WotC website archives), refluff a bit, and take your first level in the shapeshift druid variant (PHB2), and for +1 LA, you've got a homemade lycanthrope that is, in the long run, MUCH more powerful for a noncaster than a garden variety lycanthrope, due to lack of animal HD and far too much LA. (Manifesting is fine, however, so if you want a "spellcaster," druid 1/psion or wilder or psychic warrior X is great.)

Ruethgar
2016-02-17, 07:17 PM
Um, the Lycanthrope template covers pretty much every animal ever printed(with enough twisting). To get other forms, Hengeyokai has three natural forms that should combo with Lycanthrope hybrids. So a Crane-Croc is a possible form.

Necroticplague
2016-02-17, 07:47 PM
Apart from the SRD, what other Lycanthrope forms are there scattered through the books and whatnot?

I remember seeing at least werebats somewhere, but I've no idea where.

Also, is there any easy, self-consistent way to create more forms?

Um, the rules for Lycanthropy detail how to make a were-X for any type of Animal X. I'll quote the relevant parts from the SRD:

The base creature’s type does not change, but the creature gains the shapechanger subtype. The lycanthrope takes on the characteristics of some type of carnivorous or omnivorous creature of the animal type (referred to hereafter as the base animal).
This animal can be any predator, scavenger, or omnivore whose size is within one size category of the base creature’s size (Small, Medium, or Large for a Medium base creature). Lycanthropes can also adopt a hybrid shape that combines features of the base creature and the base animal. A lycanthrope’s hybrid form is the same size as the base animal or the base creature, whichever is larger.

Hit Dice and Hit Points: Same as the base creature plus those of the base animal.

Speed: Same as the base creature or base animal, depending on which form the lycanthrope is using. Hybrids use the base creature’s speed.

Alternate Form: A lycanthrope can assume the form of a specific animal (as indicated in its entry). It does not assume the ability scores of the animal, but instead adds the animal’s physical ability score modifiers to its own ability scores. A lycanthrope also can assume a bipedal hybrid form with prehensile hands and animalistic features.

Abilities:.....In addition, when in animal form, a lycanthrope’s physical ability scores improve according to its kind, as set out in the table below. These adjustments are equal to the animal’s normal ability scores –10 or –11. A lycanthrope in hybrid form modifies its physical ability scores by the same amount.

Te first two parts define what the base animal can be, and the rest uses that base animal to determine stuff, basically.

martixy
2016-02-17, 08:33 PM
I honestly have no idea why I missed that...

But you're right, it's pretty straightforward.