PDA

View Full Version : Painful Dreams

Artemis97
2016-02-17, 07:41 PM
Hey folks, looking for a bit of advice, or taking something of an informal poll. Do you ever have painful dreams? As in, you get hitby somebody or something in the dream and it actually hurts, not that dull distant dream-pain, but ow you hit me! pain. For the past few nights I've been having dreams with real pain in them, and I've never experienced anything like this before. Is it unusual? Most surprisingly, the first night, I woke up with my side hurting where I had been kicked in my dream.

As a side note, I have tourettes, which makes my limbs jump around, even in my sleep. So I wonder if I'm just accidentally hitting myself somehow. Of course, I've had this condition for years now, and this is the first time this sort of thing has ever happened.

So is this something that happens to other people? Am I going crazy? Am I cursed or possessed or something like that?:smalltongue:

Chime in folks, I'm curious to know what y'all think.

blunk
2016-02-17, 07:58 PM
A few nights ago, I was stalked and torn apart by demonic beasts, and yes, it physically hurt. But this is quite rare for me.

Dodom
2016-02-17, 07:59 PM
In dreams I feel pain more intensely, but less often. If I dream I got an injury I already had in real life, it hurts more than in my memory. But if I dream of an injury I never experienced, my sleeping brain doesn't bother trying to imagine a new type of pain, and it's either a dull approximation or nothing at all. Injuries that aren't my main focus during the dream are also painless.

Pain perceived while I sleep (by example if I'm asleep and my bowel is upset) will translate as freaky stuff in dreams. I commonly dream that I'm being stabbed or crushed or have limbs ripped off at the joints, while when I finally manage to wake up (usually after a bout of sleep paralysis because while we're having a bad time lets have it all the way!) it turns out I was just slightly sore from a bad position.

Seto
2016-02-18, 05:41 AM
Most surprisingly, the first night, I woke up with my side hurting where I had been kicked in my dream.

First thing that comes to mind is : you slept in a bad position, which made your side hurt, which in turn made you dream that you were kicked there. In other words, you dream of pain because it's already there, rather than the reverse.
But I'm no expert, it could be something else entirely.

Togath
2016-02-18, 06:31 AM
I've had pain in my dream too, though mostly blunt(like, from bashing into something) pain(even if it was something like someone shooting me).
Not sure how much is tossing in my sleep and hurting myself, and dreaming about that, and how much is the dream itself though.

Winter_Wolf
2016-02-18, 07:15 PM
I used to wake up with pain from dreams, but now I'm so jacked up from decades of physical trauma that I wake up with pain regardless of whether I've had a dream I can remember.

I think I prefer the painful dreams, since they weren't that common.

veti
2016-02-18, 09:19 PM
First thing that comes to mind is : you slept in a bad position, which made your side hurt, which in turn made you dream that you were kicked there. In other words, you dream of pain because it's already there, rather than the reverse.
But I'm no expert, it could be something else entirely.

This looks plausible, but... it's only one of several possibilities.

I've had pain in dreams that's carried over to being awake. For example, I've been bitten by an animal (in the leg, or in the side) in a dream, and been able to feel the pain all the next day. Pretty sure there was nothing physical wrong with the spot, it was purely psychosomatic - but from the perspective of Inside My Head, i.e. the only perspective that matters to me, it was just as real as "real" pain.

KerfuffleMach2
2016-02-18, 09:41 PM
Closest I've ever had is falling in a dream and getting that weird feeling in your stomach associated with falling. It wakes me up and sticks around for a little while after.

I honestly have no idea why pain in your dream would transfer to when you're awake. I've never heard of that before.