PDA

View Full Version : whaaat?!?! (alignment thread)

Wraithy
2007-06-17, 09:07 AM
this is about determining the alignment for a specific character, please read through the full description before you post.

this person feels satisfaction from helping others occasionally if they are in need or he likes them (eg: helping an old person cross the street), but if he dislikes a person he will get a similar satisfaction from ruining their day (eg: mixing fecal matter into their rations and telling them after they've eaten).
this said, he only enjoys either of these things if he can, in some way (small or big), be praised for it.
he dislikes gambling because if there is a good chance for winning, there is not enough to win, and if there is a chance to win alot then there is not enough to win.
he works well on his own because whenever he works in a group, his group can never get serious because he makes too many jokes, however when its crunch time he can be serious, he just can't keep serious in groups, in spite of this he will still do his best inside a group and often take a position similar to advisor, he likes power and influence but dislikes responsability.
when it comes to doing something he waits untill the last minute, usually the last second, he hates being put under pressure and being nagged.
he respects others as long as their respect is justified, and once their respect is justified he is generally loyal to them.
he enjoys the law and the safety it brings, but if a law does not make sense to him he is not bound to it, he merely obeys it for fear of punishment.
he dispises monotiny, if he has to do something for more than a few days he will grow bored and abandon it unless he has a good reason not to, these reasons include punishment, a promise, pay, or negative side affects such as death. if the task is too monotinous he may abandon it even with pay, but not punishment, and her takes much longer to abandon it.
he believes that people should have responsabilities as well as rights and that people should have equality over freedom. people should be able to excell and be rewarded for their efforts, but the needy should still be looked after.
if an ally poses a large threat to him he will consider betraying them for the benefit of his faction, but never for personal gain.
if dumped into a difficult situation (eg:shipwrecked) he will try to create a power structure as fast as possible, choosing a charismatic person with a similar ethic code to advise and pull the group together, distributing resourses where needed most and organising efforts from the side lines.
he hates it when people disrupt group progress for personal gain and views such people as an enemy of the group.

what alignment is he? i'll post what all of the alignment tests say later

Tengu
2007-06-17, 09:13 AM
Chaotic Neutral.

LordLocke
2007-06-17, 09:13 AM
Sounds Neutral Good to me- follows a loose set of guidelines and rules, but isn't entirely hesitant to break them when they become more of a hindrance then a help, and while potential of some petty reactionary evil sounds like someone who'd be mostly good when left to his own devices.

Thrawn183
2007-06-17, 09:16 AM
True Neutral. Maybe even chaotic neutral.

The key part isn't that he causes problems for others. Its how often he does it. Any character can do something against their alginment occaisionally. Even paladins can make fun of people they really don't like. It becomes an alignment issue when someone regularly and consistently does something. (oh, and family members/friends don't really count: you can really tell how someone is on the good/evil axis by how they treat people they don't know).

I think of lawful more as ordered. Does the person always solve problems the same way? Do they keep to regular habits. Do they stick with something once they've decided to do it? Do they have difficulty accepting new ideas/methods?

Basically, I saw some things that were good and some that were bad. I saw a guy having a consistent set of beliefs etc.. but not always following through with them (the hypocrite). Sounds pretty neutral to me.

Saph
2007-06-17, 09:20 AM
this is about determining the alignment for a specific character, please read through the full description before you post.

Okay, I'll go through it bit by bit.

this person feels satisfaction from helping others occasionally if they are in need or he likes them (eg: helping an old person cross the street), but if he dislikes a person he will get a similar satisfaction from ruining their day (eg: mixing fecal matter into their rations and telling them after they've eaten).

Chaotic Neutral.

this said, he only enjoys either of these things if he can, in some way (small or big), be praised for it.

Neutral again.

he dislikes gambling because if there is a good chance for winning, there is not enough to win, and if there is a chance to win alot then there is not enough to win.

Neutral, with Lawful leanings (dislikes risk).

he works well on his own because whenever he works in a group, his group can never get serious because he makes too many jokes, however when its crunch time he can be serious, he just doesn't work well in groups.

Nothing (neither good, evil, chaotic, or lawful).

when it comes to doing something he waits untill the last minute, usually the last second, he hates being put under pressure and being nagged.

Chaotic.

he respects others as long as their respect is justified, and once their respect is justified he is generally loyal to them.

Nothing/neutral.

he enjoys the law and the safety it brings, but if a law does not make sense to him he is not bound to it, he merely obeys it for fear of punishment.

Neutral.

he dispises monotiny, if he has to do something for more than a few days he will grow bored and abandon it unless he has a good reason not to, these reasons include punishment, a promise, pay, or negative side affects such as death. if the task is too monotinous he may abandon it even with pay, but not punishment, and her takes much longer to abandon it.

Chaotic.

he believes that people should have responsabilities as well as rights and that people should have equality over freedom. people should be able to excell and be rewarded for their efforts, but the needy should still be looked after.

Neutral, slightly lawful (equality over freedom).

if an ally poses a large threat to him he will consider betraying them for the benefit of his faction, but never for personal gain.

Can't understand this one. If he's willing to betray someone for personal gain, that's an Evil trait. But if he only attacks someone if they behave aggressively towards him first, that's not really betraying, that's self-defence. I'll ignore this.

Definitely not good, definitely not evil. More chaotic than lawful.

That puts him somewhere on the scale between Neutral and Chaotic Neutral. Can't say for sure just from this which one he fits into, and it'd probably depend on play style.

If I had to guess, I'd probably say Neutral. Most people are neutral, after all. But Chaotic Neutral could fit, too.

- Saph

lord_khaine
2007-06-17, 09:24 AM
exelent analysis saph, ill throw in my 5 copper on your conclusion

Cade Shadow
2007-06-17, 09:39 AM
I'll throw in another six

Spiryt
2007-06-17, 09:48 AM
Indeed great analysis, however i will argue about this two:

Sounds more good to me, however Wraithy should tell us how much can this guy risk to help those in need.

he works well on his own because whenever he works in a group, his group can never get serious because he makes too many jokes, however when its crunch time he can be serious, he just doesn't work well in groups.

This looks little chaotic to me: it seems that even if he is seroius, he won't work well in groups, so he is indiviualist.

Wraithy
2007-06-17, 10:14 AM
sorry about this, edited in some other things, didn't really mean CAN'T work well in a group, really meant can't stay serious in one.

Peregrine
2007-06-17, 10:51 AM
I was thinking Neutral to Chaotic Neutral, just on impressions. Then Saph came along and did a very nice job of analysis.

Nothing to add here but agreement. :smallsmile: (...except for the first point. That's more just Neutral to me, rather than Chaotic Neutral.)

Neon Knight
2007-06-17, 12:10 PM
I'd like to post my own analysis.

Hmmm.... Seems slightly evil to me. Only enjoying actions if he receives praise for them. So he only does good actions to receive praise for them, something certainly non-good. And he only does evil actions to receive praise. He seems slightly hedonistic, living only for the praise and therefore the gratification the praise brings. Overall, an indication of Neutral with a dash of Evil.

No alignment distinctions here. Disliking or liking risk is more of a personality trait than an alignment one. A lawful person might enjoy risk because it allows him to put his personal code to the test and prove its infallibility.

he works well on his own because whenever he works in a group, his group can never get serious because he makes too many jokes, however when its crunch time he can be serious, he just can't keep serious in groups, in spite of this he will still do his best inside a group and often take a position similar to advisor, he likes power and influence but dislikes responsability.

Hmm... Seems Neutral to me. Nothing sticks out enough so that I can really hammer his alignment.

If he always (and I mean always) puts things off till the last minute, that might be a sign of lawfulness. It is a consistent trait. If you can always count on him to do this, no matter what, that is a definite bit of Lawful. Hating pressure is a personality trait.

Hmm... Something of a lawful trait here, so long as he applies this across the board. If he has to have his respect justified whether the person is a king or a peasant, and this trait is consistent, that is a lawful trait. however, the generally seems to raise some doubt. Overall, Neutral.

Neutral here, with a slight pinch of lawful.

Neutral, with a slight bit of Chaotic and a dash of Evil.

Neutral with a dash of good.

Seems slightly contradictory with earlier statements that indicate he is motivated by praise which is a personal gain (of the self-esteem kind.) Neutral. The "consider" bit seems to imply that there might be a bit of lee-way. Yes, Neutral.

if dumped into a difficult situation (eg:shipwrecked) he will try to create a power structure as fast as possible, choosing a charismatic person with a similar ethic code to advise and pull the group together, distributing resourses where needed most and organising efforts from the side lines.
he hates it when people disrupt group progress for personal gain and views such people as an enemy of the group.

Seems lawful to me. And slightly contradictory in places. Praise is a personal gain. If, however, he does this consistently, it does seem to be a lawful trait. He had a plan and he will stick to it, and dislikes it when some disrupts the plan. Definite Lawful piece right here. With a bit of hypocrisy.

Difficult to say. It seems contradictory in places. I'd peg him as Neutral, leaning towards evil. He seems to do things for the praise he earns, which is a form of gratification. He seems to have several consistent behaviors, all pointing to lawful. There seems to be a bit of randomness and general guidelines instead of solid, well defined codes in there as well. Thus he seems to be a neutral person on the law-chaos axis. His personal code is halfway between a solid rule of law and a general guideline that can be easily discarded. What good bits he has seem slightly odd and contradictory, when some of the baseline character motivations are neutral/ borderline evil.

So, Neutral Evil. Or maybe just Neutral, but near Neutral Evil.

Wraithy
2007-06-17, 02:23 PM
time for the great unveiling *drumroll* .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................. Lawful Neutral?

thanks for playing i might do another of these sometime

CrazedGoblin
2007-06-17, 03:40 PM
i guess some alignment tests are abit limited.

*shudders at the words "go figure", pauses and jumps out a window screaming*

Sutremaine
2007-06-17, 04:01 PM
Huh, I'd have thought Chaotic Neutral, bordering on both True Neutral and Chaotic Evil. Lawful? What answers would you need to change on the test to stop him being Lawful?

One quiz I did for a character, simply changing the preferred order for the 'who do you admire' question was enough to shift him quite conclusively between CN and CE. What, admiring Genghis Khan because of his military prowess makes him (the character) Evil all of a sudden? Pfft.

TheElfLord
2007-06-17, 04:54 PM
I say either neutral or neutral evil. Yes I know the test results were already posted but, I wanted to stick my say in anyway. Plus I think the test was flat out wrong on this one.

Aurion
2007-06-17, 07:04 PM
I say he's a massive ball of redundant contradictions and should never be made in the first case....

Wraithy
2007-06-18, 07:13 AM
this isn't really for a character, it is more of an excersise about what alignment means etc.
P.S: this personality was lawful neutral under about 3 alignment tests.

i'm allready constructing a second one

Saph
2007-06-18, 07:18 AM
this isn't really for a character, it is more of an excersise about what alignment means etc.
P.S: this personality was lawful neutral under about 3 alignment tests.

You do know that an alignment test is basically the opinion of a completely random guy on the internet, right? No different from ours. :P

What's this "exercise" for?

- Saph

PlatinumJester
2007-06-18, 07:46 AM
I know who this is based on and that person is totally lawful neutral.

Wraithy
2007-06-18, 02:34 PM
in all truth I have no reason to trust any of you ('tis the nature of the internet) but consider how many people chose the same answer and suddenly there is a reason. a communist (i'm not going to say who just incase i get it wrong) said quantity is a quality of its own, and since there is no other way of ensuring quality on the internet i will accept this...da

and platinumjester, we will keep this thread a secret from him unless we both want a hard kick in the posterior (thankfully we mentioned no names)

PlatinumJester
2007-06-18, 03:11 PM
Thats why I didn't say who it was. My arse still hurts from the last kick.

Aurion
2007-06-18, 03:32 PM
I see, I thought you were trying to get an semi-accurate alignment diagnosis by polling a bunch of random people for a character you were going to attempt to run. The problem with those alignment tests is that usually there arn't enough answers to a particular question to find one that completely suits your character, or the questions are vague and you could go multiple ways on an answer.

Amphimir Míriel
2007-06-18, 04:20 PM
I would rate it Chaotic 3 / Neutral 4 in my system (click below)