PDA

View Full Version : The Three Boar's Inn - Team B (is for Bzzz; IC)

Zaydos
2016-02-17, 11:37 PM
The smell of spiced cider and fresh apple pie, tinged with cinnamon, wafts through the air of the inn. Apparently it has decided that apples are in this season. A notification board sits near the ‘exit’ of the inn, the most reliable way to take a break from its abode; if it lets an ad for help be placed upon it, it normally lets people go and complete it, or at least that’s what the bartender has said.

He stands behind the bar, bald and rotund today, heavy jowls flanking a jovial smile as he washes out a mug. Seeing you enter he snaps a finger sending a ‘waiter’ over. They look real enough, appearing like three half-elves that could pass as sisters, two human lads of about 14, an older human woman, and what looks like a grubby little orphan child, but without hunting them down odds are you’d never see them again and even if you did… still the bartender says they can obtain a permanent reality beyond being mere simulacrums.

One of these simulacrums approaches you carrying a tray with a wooden cup of water and what looks sort of like sugarcake. It’s the inn’s free food for ‘regulars’, almost completely tasteless and most likely magically fabricated. Not really something that one is typically eager to eat, but it’ll keep you alive.

Current Patrons: This will be updated with each post in the common room. Well ok it will be included in each post in case it has changed.
In the inn you can see Marakov Vlasvein, another ‘regular’ though not the most social of them. From what you’ve managed to gather he’s some sort of mage, and not one for the more socially acceptable forms of magic.

You can also see a pair of humans who seem to be together. They’re both middle-aged, and sitting at a table looking about the room with a bit of hope in their eyes. The male of the pair wears a stained tunic, stitched in many, many places. The female is more finely dressed, wearing silk robes, not quite a dress, and an appraising look on her face, dark brown eyes keenly judging what she sees, her brown hair done up in a bun on the back of her head.

Request Board: On the board by the entrance is a variety of requests, a summary of each placed at the bottom presumably by the bartender or one of the ‘waiters’ though you’ve never seen one place it there.
Like the Current Patron’s this will be amended to the end of posts in the common room of the inn as it will change over time. Full description is on request.
Farms being attacked by orcs, the local merchants’ association is looking for a well equipped team to fight them, and promises a reward of 500 gold pieces worth of honey in return for the head of the orcs’ leader Khorigol and found goods not stolen from the local farms.
Noble’s bride was abducted by ettercaps on her way to the wedding. Unspecified lavish reward promised on rescue or return of the body and proof that she has been avenged.
The matching paper has been torn away by someone Bounty on the head of a mage. Wanted alive. 100 lbs of platinum promised.
Arena warriors wanted. Solitary warriors given 500 GP in compensation per fight. Duos given 1200 GP in compensation. Five man teams given 3000 GP per fight. Losers get nothing. No summons. Familiars count as a team mate. Fine print promises your organs and bodies for arcane research if you die in the fights.
Mage wants bodyguards for the exploration of a local reality distortion. Promises ample compensation. Is staying in a private room in the inn until they have necessary bodyguards.

EdroGrimshell
2016-02-18, 01:30 AM
Stelliel raises a brow towards the humans, but shrugs before scratching beneath one of his scales... that was something he never got used to, even after spending the last couple years as a reptile. A click of his teeth and he examines the boards, clicking his teeth again in irritation at the orc raiders. Most of these would let him use the same blessings, allowing him to simply take a seat, and meditate.

As always, he dedicated to Tamara first, developing a seed of healing within himself that would grow with each blessing he took. The next was a dedication to body, fortifying his health and strengthening his breath. And finally, hardening his scales to resist damage.

Blessings: Healing Hands, Miraculous Endurance, Blessed Skin (2/Evil)
Penance: 18 Damage.
Current HP: 47/65 (including bonus from increased Con)

Healing Hands: 18/18

Dr.Gunsforhands
2016-02-19, 01:15 AM
"Ugh. I can't believe anyone really buys into this Gladiator crap. Hm?"

The woman with the feathers and cat ears looks away from the message board to see one of the young waitresses offering her the complimentary breakfast. She sighs. Once again, it's portioned for a human, which is to say it may as well be portioned for a squirrel as far as Zipper's concerned. But, it's just as well.

"Thanks," she says, taking the water cup with a black-gloved hand as she reaches into her belt for a silver piece. "Here, get me some apple pancakes, too. I could go for some real food right about now."

In one swift motion, Zipper grabs the the cake and stuffs it in her mouth, leaving a silver coin in its place. She continues to regard the message board as she washes down the tasteless snack.

alanek2002
2016-02-19, 01:31 AM
As he came down the stairs into the inn's common room, Silvistral started to reminisce slightly. It's been a while now, since he rolled in and bled on the floor; Several weeks at least. Silvistral paused and sniffed at the air. Oooh. Pie! Anyways, it was long enough to form an actual party with a few of the others stuck here. Speaking of which...

"Good morning, Stelliel." he says, slipping into a chair at the same table, but saying nothing more. It'd be rude to do more than announce his presence while the guy was meditating.

When one of the Simulacra Came by with a cake, Silvistral waved them off, and ordered an apple pie instead. (-3sp) Spotting Zipper, he waved. "Hey, Zipper! Anything good on the board?" Of course, he resolutely ignored the pair of humans. They were probably here for help, which he would be glad to do. But not before he got to eat breakfast. PIE!

Assuming we've just basically claimed a table in the Inn. As in not just for today, but day after day.

Ragnarok'n'Roll
2016-02-19, 09:43 AM
Clunk

Clunk pulls up a chair and sits down heavily. The chair creaked under the strain. "Lots of work on the board." he thumbs over his shoulder. He attempted a smile but his stiff features made it look like a grimace. He waved off the server as he didn't need anything at the moment.

He sat quietly waiting for someone else to make a suggestion. He pondered just how heavy 500 gp worth of honey would be. He lost track at some point with carrying his 'ones' and his mind wandered. "Honey isn't a convenient form of commerce I've decided." he says finally.

EdroGrimshell
2016-02-19, 10:43 AM
It takes only a minute for Stelliel's meditation to come to a close, "Mornin' Silvis," finally grabbing the customary morning meal from the server, though not eating it quite yet as he fishes out a trio of silver coins, "the usual, if you will," he comments, meaning syrup and a type of elven wine he'd gotten a taste for a few months back. More expensive than ale, but he liked it. The syrup, however, sweetened and flavored the tasteless pastries.

He nods to Zippers and Clunk as well, "Gladiator work is good money, doesn't help anyone but yourself though."

"No it is not," he replies to Clunk, "but the farmers could likely use the help more than the noble or mage. Unlike them, their livelihood is on the line. Honey's probably all they have to pay for. Might even be able to trade it in here for some more flavorful food or to make mead."

I figure I should note that Stelliel has not mentioned himself to be a half-orc. Only that he's obviously a dragonborn.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2016-02-19, 07:12 PM
"Good money my foot. At the end of the day, you're still fighting for some lunatic's amusement, and they know they don't have to pay you if you're dead."

She swipes the piece of non-cake from Clunk's server's tray as she goes to take her seat with the rest of the strange clique. When she'd first met the robot, she caught him staring at his plate, asked if he was going to eat it, and swiped it before he could answer. Thankfully, this turned out to be a very convenient arrangement.

"Really, I'm not sure the farmers are the ones behind that honey poster, either. The orcs could just be some squatters that some slumlord wants out of the way." She takes a bite out of Clunk's breakfast. "Hmmph... I could probably make some great candy with that honey, though..."

Zaydos
2016-02-20, 12:10 AM
"One moment," The waitresses said to Zipper and Silvistral almost in unison. Two of the half-elven lasses it was almost eerie, not quite twins in appearance with one noticeably a few years older than the other, but movements and mannerism were nigh identical. They walked towards the back room, long skirts swishing as they moved, only to reemerge moments later with hot pancakes and a pie so fresh it seemed to steam its fragrant aroma filling the room.

Approaching their respective guests quickly enough they smiled and presented the food, a stack of mouthwatering pancakes, and an aromatic pie.

Checking the full description of the farmer job there is a fair bit of self-aggrandizement about their brand of honey and how it is renown across three kingdoms including an elven one, and how the orcs have mercilessly raided their farms, killed their lifestock, and burnt some of their 'world famous apiaries'. The local militia attempted to fight the orcs but were routed, and the lord's men are refusing to take action.

They do not say why the lord's men are refusing to take action.

EdroGrimshell
2016-02-20, 12:30 AM
Stelliel clicks his teeth again, annoyance crossing his features, "I still want to take a look into this, this makes me think something bigger is going on under the surface, something I'd prefer known and dealt with. If the orcs aren't stirring up trouble, there's another reason whoever posted this wants them gone, and it's likely not a good one given that the lord's men won't do anything towards them."

Ragnarok'n'Roll
2016-02-20, 12:38 AM
Clunk

Looking further at the posting for help, Clunk chuckles. "So everyone that would help these farmers are dead and they are helpless and sitting on hundreds of gold worth of the world's best honey. Sounds like we should go raid those fleshbags - they are ripe for the picking. Those orcs might have had the right idea. Nice of them to advertise and post a map. Ranting about how good your honey is, well, geeze, that's just asking for shenanigans." It was obvious Clunk was joking (mostly).

"Worse comes to worse, I can use the honey to lubricate my wooden bits so they don't dry out. I vote we help them out but I can be convinced otherwise. " Clunk said matter of factly.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2016-02-20, 01:06 AM
Stelliel makes a convincing argument, and a smile crosses Zipper's face listening to Clunk's jokey brand of sarcasm. "Heh, alright, alright! We'll help the farmers."

As she uses Stell's syrup without asking and starts on her pancakes, Zipper is still a bit preoccupied with one of the other posters. "I do have a question, though. What's an ettercap?"

Don't worry, she puts the syrup back.

Ragnarok'n'Roll
2016-02-20, 01:16 AM
Clunk

Clunk thinks for a moment. " It's like an orc. Ugly, two arms, two legs, smelly. Oh and instead of an orc - its a spider." he shudders briefly.

alanek2002
2016-02-20, 01:57 AM
Silvistral nods, still munching on his pie. It was an excellent pie, with the aromatic cinnamon being just the right complement to the sugar on the crisp apples... Say what you will, can't complain about the food.

"Farms sound good to me. We wouldn't really be helping anybody if we went to the arena, and proof of death can wait - if they're really dead. Now, the tear in reality sounds like it needs to be addressed, but given that the mage is willing to wait here, it might not be too urgent. "

Snowbluff
2016-02-20, 01:03 PM
Beeatrice

A pretty young human named Beeatrice strolls into the room with the request board, her long, fur lined coat fluttering with her excited movements. Her black hair is tied up into a short pony tail, and has way too many yellow highlights. "WHAT?! This job is giving out honey as pay! That's the beest reward ever!" She says, a forced bee pun thrown into for good measure. She speaking a very large be that is buzzing near her. Because she's the kind of person would talk to bees. "Beethany, this is what our next job will bee. We've just gotta find some people to help us find some honey."

She turns around to face the crowd. "Who wants to help me get some honey?!" she yells.

alanek2002
2016-02-20, 02:05 PM
Silvistral shrugs. "Eh, I'll sell you my share afterwards, if you want it. But I'm pretty sure most of us are doing it for the farmers."

Snowbluff
2016-02-20, 06:13 PM
Beeatrice

"HUH?! Really?!" Beeatrice squees and runs up to Silvistral to hug him. Queen Beethany II lazily buzzes along behind her. "How many adventurers will their bee for this quest?"

Ragnarok'n'Roll
2016-02-20, 08:21 PM
Clunk

"I'll bee coming erm.. I'll go" Clunk stammers.

Snowbluff
2016-02-20, 09:08 PM
Beeatrice

"You'll bee coming?" Bee awkwardly throws herself onto Clunk, punch drunk on the prospect of some good honey. "You're a swell guy. I wish you would always come."

Dr.Gunsforhands
2016-02-21, 12:46 AM
"Hmm." It's hard to match the enthusiasm of a hyperactive bee-themed super-villain. "Don't you guys think the spider-orc thing is a little more pressing? I mean, if whoever they kidnapped isn't dead now, they might be tomorrow."

The indignation on Beeatrice's face is apparent immediately. Any two-bit investigator could go after the ettercaps, but no force in the multiverse would keep that girl from her precious honey. Zipper adjusts her plans accordingly.

"...you know what? Never mind. I'm in."

alanek2002
2016-02-22, 02:56 AM
Finishing off his pie, Silvistral shrugs. "Well, seeing as none are opposed... Barkeep! We'd like to go help the bee farmers!... After everybody finishes eating."

Zaydos
2016-02-22, 03:01 AM
The barkeep grinned back at Silvistral, "Just go through the door when you're ready, I'll make sure you get where you're going. Good luck with the orcs, and I hope you don't get stung."

Ragnarok'n'Roll
2016-02-22, 09:06 AM
Clunk

Clunk confirms he has all his gear and it's in the proper place before setting out. He grabs the advert off the wall and tucks it into his pack. "Might need those directions later." he says to no one in particular. Without thinking he naturally takes the lead of the group and sets off.

"We'll bee back later.. damn it, now I'm doing it." Clunk curses under his breath.

EdroGrimshell
2016-02-22, 11:53 AM
Stelliel stands to follow, "This'll be interesting..." he mutters to himself

Zaydos
2016-02-22, 11:25 PM
The scent of approaching Autumn is in the air, along with the song of birds. A pale blue sky hangs over head, nary a cloud in sight. The inn seems to be at the edge of a township, this time, not a large town, though from the farmhouses dotting the surrounding countryside you imagine its a farming village and these buildings are just the main hub for the disparate farms. The streets are mostly empty, not unnervingly so just but far from busy. A general store is open nearby being tended by a portly middle-aged woman, and an old man drives a small cart nearby, pulled by an ox and filled with produce.

alanek2002
2016-02-23, 12:40 AM
Silvistral steps through the door, and sighs slightly in relief at the sight of the intact buildings surrounding them. No obvious wreckage, and no orcs waiting for us. That's great! Means it'll take longer, but hey.

He turns to the others and says: "Hrm. Anybody else slightly suspicious that there isn't any wreckage around, despite being attacked by orcs? There might be something a little more to this... unless the orcs are just threatening them right now."

EdroGrimshell
2016-02-23, 09:54 PM
"Isn't that part of the reason we came here in the first place," Stelliel replies, "we should find whoever posted the job and get their end of the story."

Snowbluff
2016-02-23, 09:59 PM
Beeatrice

Beeatrice and Beethany walk up to the lady. "We're here for the honey," Beeatrice says. She's a woman on a mission and nothing is going to stop her.

Zaydos
2016-02-23, 10:16 PM
The old man on the cart takes a little gander towards your group as he rides past, eyes following his ears. Those same eyes seem to widen as they fall on Stelliel but he makes no sound, just continuing on his way to wherever he is taking his produce.

alanek2002
2016-02-24, 11:22 AM
Beeatrice

Beeatrice and Beethany walk up to the lady. "We're here for the honey," Beeatrice says. She's a woman on a mission and nothing is going to stop her.

Silvistral puts his hand over his face. "Mff Mrfhm mhffer -" He says, before realizing his gloves are muffling himself. "Rather, we've heard this village has an issue with some orcs, and was offering honey in return for help."

Snowbluff, you wrote " for the honey,", ending your speech on a comma. :P

Dr.Gunsforhands
2016-02-24, 10:55 PM
"Smooth," Zipper contributes, having followed Bee and Silvis into the general store. Still, she's more than happy to let them ask the questions, even if the shopkeeper is being mysteriously unresponsive.

Zipper slips back outside for a more detailed look around, scanning the farms on the horizon for any sign of a struggle. Suddenly, she winces as though she just got a strange taste in her mouth.

"...Stellie, why did the guy guy on the veggie cart give you that look?"

Zaydos
2016-02-24, 11:11 PM
The woman looks at Beatrice. "Are you here about the orcs?" There is a bit of fear in her voice as she speaks the last word. "Or would you simply like to buy some of our famous honey? If the former you'll want the Merchants' Association, it's in the town square, it's the big building, rather hard to miss it. Dwarfs the courthouse after all." Even as she talks she keeps giving Zipper, Clunk, and Stelliel odd looks. "My you do... excuse me. If you're looking to buy some honey, I've got three varieties in stock. Thunderoak, Riverford, and Marshfield. We normally carry Charwoood, and Vjaran but with the raids and the fires. I don't know if the famed Vjaran honey will ever be the same to tell you the truth, most of the bees were killed when they burned the hives."

EdroGrimshell
2016-02-24, 11:15 PM
Stelliel deadpans, "How often do you see a dragonborn walking around? Imagine how often a peddler or farmer must see one. Probably thinks I'm a lizardfolk or a half-dragon..."

Dr.Gunsforhands
2016-02-24, 11:48 PM
Zipper shakes her head. "Yeah, that's what I thought at first, but... the look a farmer gives a dragonborn is the same look they give to someone like Clunk. This was different, like he had to take a second to think about it. I'd almost guess he owed you money or something."

She shrugs before returning to her survey of the environs. "Eh, maybe I am reading too much into it. Any ideas about where to start looking for our alleged farm-bandits?"

She's using her hand to shield her eyes, even though she has perfectly good goggles on her forehead and the sun is currently behind a cloud.
Spot for anomalies in the distance: [roll0]

Ragnarok'n'Roll
2016-02-25, 12:25 AM
Clunk scratched his head thoughtfully. "Whoa whoa whoa, people look at me differently ? You fleshlings need to keep your eyes to yourselves. "

alanek2002
2016-02-25, 12:50 AM
"Sorry, no honey for me," says Silvistral to the lady. "But thank you for pointing us in the right direction."

He then leaves the shop, and turns to the three standing outside. "Merchants Association put up the notice, and they're in the middle of town... big building. Also, from the looks the shopkeeper was giving you three, it seems that you all are the odd ones out on this plane."

He shrugs, and then starts walking towards the center of town. "Either way, lets go help these people."

Snowbluff
2016-02-25, 01:41 PM
Beeatrice

Beeatrice looks around frantically as the others head to the mercenary building. "What, we're not getting honey?!" Beethany buzzes loudly, for an unknown reason. Beeatrice, being the person that she is, accepts this as a divine sign to continue her mission for the free honey. "Oh, alright..."

Zaydos
2016-02-25, 02:29 PM
The group attracts more strange, almost fearful glances. Then again this is a town whose farms are being raided by orcs, and the group contains a reptilian person, a bird girl, and a construct. The watchful eyes follow the travelers all the way as they go down the 'main' street all the way to the town square. The gallows dominate the center of the square, a site for public executions, with a large building which points its door directly at the gallows presumably being the courthouse. If for no reason other than it is the second largest building encircling the square.

The largest is much more ostentatiously colored, columns carved to resemble women, no the same woman over and over again, painted walls presenting a mural depicting a spring field women at play throughout it, seeming to make the flowers bloom with their touch. Four stories in total, the building is large, a large balcony-patio extending off the top story supported by the columns.

The woman depicted in the columns is Ellowhyr goddess of fertility, spring, and agriculture. The women in the mural are the whyrians, her servant spirits which are said to traverse the world when winter ends bringing spring in their wake.

EdroGrimshell
2016-02-25, 04:54 PM
Stelliel pauses at the statues, "no wonder the fame their honey so much, the pay homage to the Goddess of Spring" he says, "honey must be seen as her gift to them... making it their livelihood."

Dr.Gunsforhands
2016-02-25, 08:23 PM
"Makes sense. I guess they take it pretty seriously." Zipper avoids eye contact with the staring locals, trying not to act the way everyone acts when they're consciously trying to act casual.

"So... do you think the temple doubles as the guild house we're looking for?"

alanek2002
2016-02-26, 03:11 AM
"It might double as a temple," Silvistral says, coming to a stop not far before the building. "But they might just be making enough money off their honey to afford to be this extravagant. Either way, I'm pretty sure this is the right place."

Zaydos
2016-02-27, 12:03 AM
Two men, guards from the swords at their belts and shields on their arms, fidget a bit behind a pair of columns, eyes on the group with abject terror. One looks young for the job, maybe 15, a mere stripling lad. The other is older, but does not hold himself with a warrior's ease, and the way he's fumbling awkwardly at the hilt of his sword, not really preparing to draw it so much as nervously pawing at it, indicates that he's probably never wielded one before in his life. They don't seem to realize that you've spotted them... yet.

EdroGrimshell
2016-02-29, 12:01 AM
Stelliel raises a brow, "that may explain why the guard isn't doing anything," he says, nodding towards the guards, "if the rest are like them, it's no wonder... I do hope they aren't... they'd get into a lot of trouble if they were..." he shakes his head and heads over to the guards, "we're here in regards to the orcs," he says simply, "mind pointing us in the right direction to talk about the situation?"

Zaydos
2016-02-29, 12:05 AM
One of the men swallows, and stutters a bit even as the lad bites his lip. After a few moments the boy finally pipes up, "Inside. I... what are you?"

From their actions and bearing, these two seem either to be badly imitating guards or to have been put in the position untrained very recently.

EdroGrimshell
2016-02-29, 12:49 AM
Stelliel looks at the kid, "Me? I'm a dragonborn. Hard to explain beyond that unless you want to discuss the theology of dragons," he says, "it would take a while and I'm not the best at explaining it," he says with a degree of humor, "and a word of advice, stand straight and don't fidget or fiddle with your weapons, it'll make you seem more confident and make others less inclined to cause trouble. And you might want to grab spears rather than swords, they're easier to use and just as effective," he says walking by to get to the one that gave the job.

Ragnarok'n'Roll
2016-02-29, 01:05 AM
Clunk

"I've decided I like hanging out with you. It's nice not being the only freak around." Clunk says evenly to Stelliel. Walking past the 'guards' he looks down at the boy. "I guess school is out." he says with a slight sadness in his voice. He raises his empty hands to show he is currently unarmed and not a threat before heading inside.

alanek2002
2016-02-29, 02:32 AM
Silvistral follows the others inside, but not without leaving his own parting comment. "Relax, we're here to help. Note the lack of burning and pillaging that we did on our way towards this building."

As he walks past, Silvistral sighs. If this is who they have on guard... how many must have died? Such that even the richest can't find anybody actually trained in weapons to be guards?

Dr.Gunsforhands
2016-02-29, 06:19 PM
It's probably telling that Zipper's first thought at the guards' panic isn't that they're reacting to a griffin woman, a dragon man or a clockwork tank, but that her teal bandana must make her look like a stereotypical air pirate. She knows the drill with these kinds of guards - the ones who provide security mostly by giving travelers directions and finding the parents of lost 4-year-olds. Once they finally manage to tell us that this is the place, her instinct is to just give them a small smile and a quiet, "okay, cool, thanks," before proceeding inside.

Zaydos
2016-03-01, 01:57 AM
When the dragonborn gives the two advise the elder of the two nods, and the boy mumbles something incomprehensible. They make no attempt to stop the group, staring a bit at the bee, and your entrance goes smoothly. A small clerk, or secretary, sits behind a desk, spectacles on his nose as he raises his head to look at you and blanches. "I... I..." He glances between the bird-man, the dragonman, and the construct. "We sent to the capital but I never would have expected a lizardman and... whatever the other two are. You are here about the orcs correct?" He has a high pitched nasally voice, his head mostly balded with a few wisps of grey-white hair combed over it, despite that he looks no more than in his early thirties.

Ragnarok'n'Roll
2016-03-01, 02:47 AM
Clunk

"Well let's be honest, we are here about the honey. " Clunk gives an awkward wink. "You should tell us everything that has happened and all about the orcs please." he continues, missing any cue his joke was unfunny or in bad taste.

Snowbluff
2016-03-01, 03:01 AM
Beeatrice!

Beeatrice gasps! "Did you mean 'bee' honest? That's awesome!" She squeezes Clunk as hard as she can squeeze his wood and steel composite body before suddenly looking up to the clerk. "But yes, we are here for the honey."

EdroGrimshell
2016-03-01, 08:43 AM
"...You guys are morons," Stelliel says to the two that have already spoken, "we are here to help with the orcs, the honey is the payment for that according to the flier. And I'm not a lizardman, I'm a dragonborn," the last part is stated matter-of-factly rather than with any kind of annoyance, "But we do have a few questions before we get to dealing with this issue of yours."

Zaydos
2016-03-02, 01:13 AM
"Dragonborn?" The clerk says with a mix of apprehension and confusion, "As to getting honey the council will be paying in honey, although if the orcs are not stopped soon the apiaries may be permanently destroyed, a loss to the world as a whole. As for questions about the orcs, feel free to ask, I should be able to answer all questions; as long as they do not require me to authorize the looting of the farms, their wholesale destruction, or other things above my pay grade, you must understand. So what would you like to know?"

alanek2002
2016-03-02, 01:20 AM
"Well," Silvistral starts, "Where are they? Kinda feel like that is an important one. Also, when have they come and attacked you? Have they just been burning fields, or have they been killing people? Did you have prior contact with the orcs?"

Zaydos
2016-03-02, 02:56 AM
"Northeast. So far they haven't come to the town itself, but it can only be a matter of time. They burnt down the outermost Vjaran farms almost two weeks ago. We sent the main force of the militia after them after that and they returned scattered. Since then we've not had a direct assault, my guess is they're licking their wounds as well, but they've attacked a few farms and the remaining guardsmen have fought a few skirmishes. The town guard is all at the north-eastern farms, the town depends upon the honey for trade if the apiaries are all burnt there won't be much point in defending the town itself after all. They burnt Charwood as well. As for prior contact. Usually the orcs stay north-east of the Singwuin, but didn't hear anything from the river settlements about their coming, could be they snuck past somehow, could be the burnt their way through.

As for killings, plenty of farmhands died at Vjaran, and most of the militia at Charwood."

EdroGrimshell
2016-03-02, 08:59 AM
"And the Lord's men have refused to take action on this issue?" Stelliel asks, "it would seem prudent for him to help, yet the request said the Lord wasn't."

Zaydos
2016-03-02, 07:49 PM
"There has been a certain... disagreement... over taxes, minor rebellions, and the merchants' association's affluence. Simply put politically the merchants' association has influence and the lord does not like that. He trumped up a legal technicality, the apiaries have been traditionally tax exempt due to well legend says the result of a dance competition but no one really believes that. Either way it was in the books that the apiaries were exempt from taxes to the local lord, whose duties only, according to him, obligate him to protect those who pay him their taxes."

Dr.Gunsforhands
2016-03-02, 10:00 PM
"Ugh, you've got to be kidding me. That's the pettiest thing I've ever heard!" Zipper is vocal on this point, but somehow she doesn't seem surprised about it. "Leave it to a feudal lord to bail the one time you really need him. What a racket."

Once she's done raving about politics, she returns to the topic at hand. "Right, so we'll head over and see about striking back at the raiders! Where were the apiaries you said needed protecting?"

EdroGrimshell
2016-03-02, 11:08 PM
Stelliel nodded in agreement, "best to do this quickly. After we deal with them, I can help any injured, I have a degree of skill as a healer and would be glad to offer the service once the danger has passed."

Zaydos
2016-03-04, 02:54 AM
"They've been coming from the north-east, so we've concentrated defenders along the north-eastern borders. I can show you on a map where the defenders have been concentrated, if you'd like." He rises to his feet as he speaks, moving towards one wall, and pointing at a rather ornate, if childishly so, map. He pointed at three farms. "All of these are part of the Marchfield apiary holdings, but they're the closest to the attacked areas."

alanek2002
2016-03-04, 02:58 AM
Silvistral shrugs, and takes a step towards the door.

"All right. Local lord is a petty jerk. Orcs are roughly that-a-way, and they need to be stopped? Do we need anything else?"

Sorry for not posting yesterday. Realized that I had math homework due the next day; worked on said math homework till almost 4 AM... then got up at nine.

edit: Ninja DM!

Ragnarok'n'Roll
2016-03-04, 02:27 PM
Clunk

"Seems simple enough." Clunk said. He nodded satisfied with what he had heard. He waited to see if anyone else had questions before taking the lead again and setting off.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2016-03-04, 07:19 PM
"Right, I think we're good. We'll go talk to the people on the front lines and plan the rest from there."

Zaydos
2016-03-06, 08:47 PM
Leaving the merchants' association and heading northeast you pass by several farms, not including apiaries, on your 6 mile trek to the Marshfield holdings. Even then at first glance the farms seem abandoned, it's only as you continue to the northeast that you see people once more, armored and armed. Their eyes are peeled towards the far horizon, but even so one seems to spot you because he begins to freak out, shaking his comrades and pointing at your group.

EdroGrimshell
2016-03-06, 09:34 PM
"Might have been a good idea to get an escort..." Stelliel says as he looks on at the panicking soldier, "may have mitigated this issue," he said thinking, maybe he should get a hood, keep his face hidden in these situations... yea, that'd be a good idea, maybe sowed into his armor... thoughts for another time.

alanek2002
2016-03-07, 02:35 AM
"Ho there!" Silvistral calls. "We've been hired to help you with the orcs!"

Turning towards his companions, he says "I don't really get why they're all so... distrusting of non-humans, or at least those that look more than a bit different. Kind of rude of them. But I suppose we're helping them anyways."

Dr.Gunsforhands
2016-03-07, 10:27 PM
Zipper's face scrunches up on one side in a sort of resigned sneer. "Yeah, a lot of humans don't really get out much, I've noticed. All the more reason to do what we can for them."

As the group approaches the tense guard contingent, she puts on a bright warm smile and waves with one hand while keeping the other where they can see it. "Hiya! What he said." From gesturing to Silvis, her arms and expression zip to dire seriousness as she gets right on to business. "So, what's the status? Any sightings?"

Snowbluff
2016-03-07, 11:02 PM
Beeatrice

"Hello new friends!" Beeatrice waves enthusiastically. She's happy to be making new friends. "I'm here for the reward of honey!"

Zaydos
2016-03-07, 11:27 PM
Mutters run through the crowd at your words. "Is that a bird man?" "They brought a golem. I mean they brought a golem." "There's a giant bee." "Lizardman." "Seriously it's a bird person." "Where'd they come from?"

One of them does step forward, speaking up above he murmurs of the crowd, "No sightings yet today. We've got a few scouts in the nearby woods, but no true woodsmen."

EdroGrimshell
2016-03-08, 12:41 AM
Stelliel sighed, "the term is Dragonborn, not lizardman," he says simply at the Lizardman comment, a moment later he starts surveying the area, "how do they usually attack?"

Zaydos
2016-03-08, 10:44 PM
"Well the first time they came with dawn to their backs, approaching under cloaks of grass so that the guards didn't have time to see 'em not that it'd have mattered much out numbered at least four to one. The second time we came for them, but they retreated into the woods and scattered. We took down a few bands, but then there were cries of fire, seems they'd rigged the woods with the stuff to start some fires and once they'd beat their retreat from the woods they lit the whole thing. We escaped but we were scattered and disorganized and they fell upon us as we emerged."

alanek2002
2016-03-09, 12:46 AM
"Well, crud," Silvistral says. "Competent bandits." He spits off to the side. "This might be a tad bit harder and easier than I thought. They've probably got a leader holding them together, and without them the bandits will get disorganized. On the other hand, we'd have to fight through those same organized bandits in order to get to their leader.

He shrugs. "I'm not good with tacking or woodcraft. Anybody got ideas for finding them so we can hit them?"

Dr.Gunsforhands
2016-03-09, 06:48 PM
"Competent bandits don't burn their cover down," Zipper mutters. "The ad did say the chief was the one we're officially after."

Zipper assesses the geography of the area, based just on what her senses can tell her. "So, really, we just head to the woods and keep our eyes peeled! We can try to be systematic, but there's no need to overthink it. I'll see what I can find from the treetops."
Survival to make an educated guess as to where the orcs are camped: [roll0]+4

Perception from the trees to spot activity: [roll1]+11

Search for traps or other evidence of the orcs' passing, once we reach a likely spot in the woods: [roll2]+13

"Hey, Bee, do you think you can stay flying above the treeline? I wouldn't mind another set of eyes up there. Or, uh, however many Beethany's count as."

Ragnarok'n'Roll
2016-03-09, 06:52 PM
Clunk

Clunk scratched his head. He was a bit taken aback. He was so used to trouble finding him or having to fight an army. The idea of having to search for an enemy some how bothered him. "I guess its either search the woods or wait for them to attack, assuming we can guess where they want to attack. Probably best to scout the woods and be proactive" Clunk said very hesitantly. He was clearly out of his element.

Zaydos
2016-03-11, 02:40 AM
If the orcs are camped nearby it'd be in the woods, still while it's a forest it's hardly expansive, no more than a few miles across in its largest point in any direction. Entering the woods you can smell the refreshing scent of flowers, the ground bearing a boggy softness to it. A faint buzzing can be heard from a nearby bush, bees swarming over it. Wandering the woods you see no immediate signs of orcs, or their activity.

After several minutes, however, you do find signs of something. A human, wearing scalemail and the same style of trousers as some of the men at the farm. Or well a former human. Something or someone seems to have ripped into his throat, tearing it open, and one arm has been seemingly gnawed upon. It's almost as if some beast killed him, but why would it leave the corpse laying in the open undefended?

A pair of four legged green-brown creatures stand over the corpse. Little stalks, barely more than bumps, rise from the top of the creatures, and the front of their bodies bear a circular 'mouth' each, ringed with sharp tooth-like structures. They seem frozen, perfectly still as if by not moving they could go unnoticed.

Snowbluff
2016-03-11, 08:54 AM
Beeatrice

"Huh... it looks like those little bitey things at that guys neck," Beeatrice says.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2016-03-12, 01:22 AM
Zipper raises an eyebrow, getting the feeling that she should probably press about that before approaching the scene. "'Little Bitey Things?'"

alanek2002
2016-03-12, 02:11 AM
At the buzzing of bees of the bush, (Several minutes before they come upon the dead body) Silvistral takes out a wooden mug alongside a insectbane candle, and lights it. (No non-monstrous insects within 5 ft of me!)

"I had bees get inside my armor once. interesting little things that they are," He says with a nod to Beetrice, "I never want that to happen again."

At the dead body, he frowns. That wasn't an orc... "I'm... not seeing any little bitey things." Silvistral Says, tensing. Enemies you can't see were fun. Unless they were scavengers on the body, rather than what killed him. That's the problem with invisible enemies. You don't know what height to aim at when trying to stab them... or if the invisible thing was an enemy.

Zaydos
2016-03-12, 02:26 AM
The things continue to stay perfectly still.

Ragnarok'n'Roll
2016-03-12, 01:42 PM
Clunk

Clunk sighes deeply. He hated invisible enemies. He approached the body cautiously with shield raised. "Time to earn my keep I guess"

Zaydos
2016-03-12, 01:49 PM
As Clunk approaches the body the two creatures move, raising their sides that have mouths, or for lack of a better word faces, towards him and then pulling the oddly circular mouths wide to show several rows of thorn-like teeth. They stepped about to either side of the warrior and lunging towards him.

As Clunk approaches the body he'd hear the snapping of a twig, or was that just his imagination and paranoia? Something tears at him with unseen teeth but his shield pushes it away only for a second set to sink into the back of his neck, thorn-like hooks catching and pulling a bit. Thankfully whatever it was wasn't that strong, but it still hurts.

OoC: 3 damage AFTER DR.

Snowbluff
2016-03-12, 01:53 PM
"Yep, those," Beeatrice says. She readies her stinger, which manifests as flame-like energy over her hand than buzzes.

Zaydos
2016-03-12, 02:11 PM
A corona of fiery light forms over Clunk and the two creatures. Over four feet tall the two creatures stand on four legs each, their torso-heads covered in little nodules that seem to swerve back and forth, their faces merely distinguished from the rest of their form by the perfectly circular mouths which open to reveal rings of thorn-like teeth.

EdroGrimshell
2016-03-12, 03:05 PM
"Well that happened," Stelliel says, his scythe coming out and acting as a conduit for Stelliel's faith.

Draw Scythe as a Move Action
Enter Martial Spirit Stance as a Swift Action

Dr.Gunsforhands
2016-03-13, 01:11 AM
"Oh! Geez!" By the time anyone looks at her, Zipper is already jumping through the surrounding brush, knife in hand. "I'm afraid to ask what would count as a big bitey thing."

By the time anyone looks again, Zipper has zipped her way around to the other side of the monsters, setting up an easy flank for anyone else in the melee. This griffin-girl is more of a fighter than an outdoorswoman; the thought of simply shooing the wild animals away never crossed her mind.

Move action: Use Quick Movement, plus draw the heavy melee dagger as a free action during the move. Given that the group starts less than or equal to 20 ft. away (Clunk's move speed), she should be able to stay just out of the monters' reach as she gets to a flank-friendly angle.

Standard action: stab!
[roll0]+10 normally, with another +2 if someone can move in for the flank first without giving the creatures an opening.
Damage: [roll1]+7

alanek2002
2016-03-13, 01:12 AM
"Bleh. Those things are Ugly." Silvistral says, dropping his wooden mug as he draws both Lightblades. He then moves until he is 10 ft from the closest... thing, and launches a bolt of electricity from his blade.
Attack vs. Normal AC [roll0]
Damage: [roll1] Electricity

Free action to drop the mug with the candle. Free action to draw my Elvish lightblades, thanks to the weapon crystals. Move to get 10ft from one of them (Unless they are more than 40ft away), and Standard to use the Blade arc Maneuver.

Zaydos
2016-03-13, 01:41 AM
Zipper positions herself to flank with Clunk and strikes out with her dagger and the creature howls out in pain a mighty screech of fearful agony. Its cry is cut off when an arc of lightning streams from Silvistral's striking into it and it falls to the ground crumpling into a smoldering heap.

OoC: 1 down, and it's Clunk's turn before it gets to go again.

Ragnarok'n'Roll
2016-03-13, 08:51 AM
Clunk

Clunk draws his sword and in one fluid motion slashes at the thing. "Ow" he says, wincing briefly.

Attack : [roll0] (power attacking for -4)

Damage : [roll1]

Init: [roll2]

AC: 25
HP: 50/53

Zaydos
2016-03-13, 01:48 PM
As Clunk's sword goes wildly wide the creature flees at full speed into the woods, leaving itself open to a potential attack from Clunk if he wants to cut down the fleeing creature.

OoC: I would go ahead and roll the AoO, but Clunk might show the creature mercy.

Ragnarok'n'Roll
2016-03-13, 03:36 PM
Clunk

Clunk swings again at the fleeing critter. "Aaaaghrh"

Mercy ?? never heard of it.

Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

Zaydos
2016-03-13, 04:49 PM
The creature topples over, it's fiery outline twitching a bit as it falls dying.

Zaydos
2016-03-16, 11:55 PM
Do you investigate the corpse? Continue looking in the woods? Leave and search elsewhere?

alanek2002
2016-03-17, 02:40 AM
"So..." Silvistral says, Not paying the more recent corpses any mind. "Should we continue on to find the orcs, or should we take the body back to the guards? I'd vote for continuing on, personally."

EdroGrimshell
2016-03-17, 09:26 AM
"Just one moment," Stelliel says, laying the corpse out in a resting position, searching it for to find any effects to return to a potential family, then says a quiet prayer before lighting the body up with his fire breath, "now, we continue."

Dr.Gunsforhands
2016-03-17, 08:34 PM
Zipper's already patting down the dead soldier and the area around him for lost valuables. She keeps her eye open for evidence of foul play, but she figures there probably won't be any; this is just a case of forest monsters forest monsting.

Just to make it official, here's a search check, since that's kind of Zipper's thing:

[roll0]

Snowbluff
2016-03-17, 08:37 PM
Beeatrice

Beeatrice stares blankly for a second. "Welp, I have no idea what just happened." She shrugs. "We should bee going," she says, nudging Clunk and giving a wink.

Zaydos
2016-03-17, 08:42 PM
Slowly but surely the forms of the two planty? Fungoid? predators become wholly visible. The only signs that Zipper find, however, are consistent with an attack from whatever those creatures were.

The only valuables the soldier seems to have had are a bit of pay, amounting to a few silvers, and his sword and armor.

Traversing the forest once more you find no sign of the orcs, though you do manage to find another scout when you hear him calling out, "Bodrick? Bodrick where'd you get to?"

You do see more of those creatures momentarily watching your group as you walk, but they seem to think better of attacking a group of 5 people invisible or not. They seem to be by nature a cowardly lot.

OoC: If you want to point them out to the party to kill feel free, but they aren't about to initiate combat.

alanek2002
2016-03-21, 11:09 AM
Sorry for the delay!

"Ah... Hello There!" Sivistral calls. "We're looking for the orcs!"

He deliberately doesn't mention the dead scout. Running up to somebody and saying 'hey, I found your dead friend!' isn't the best way to start things.

Snowbluff
2016-03-21, 11:17 AM
Beeatrice

"There a bunch of those bitey things around. They're invisible," Beeatrice says. "They are not attacking, though. Maybe this has something to do with the orcs?"

Dr.Gunsforhands
2016-03-21, 08:03 PM
Zipper doesn't share Silv's reservations about getting straight to the point.

"Bodrick, huh?" Zipper sighs as she pockets the loose change, puts on her rhetorical White Mage hat and draws the dead man's eyes closed before getting anyone else's attention.

"Yes, I think we found him... I'm sorry."

Once the wandering soldier comes over to identify the body and Beeatrice's impeccable reconnaissance has a chance to sink in, she continues. "If the forest is going to be filled with invisible monsters, you and the rest of your squad should probably clear out. We can finish our mission alone."

Ragnarok'n'Roll
2016-03-24, 11:50 PM
Clunk

Clunk waved to try and appear friendly. "We didn't kill your dead friend" he offered. Social interaction was clearly not his strong suit.