PDA

View Full Version : Does a campaign require a map?

Comet
2016-02-18, 04:42 AM
I'm trying to really cut down on the amount of paper on the table for our next campaign, which is going to be a character driven historical adventure in a relatively small environment of a few cities.

This has led me to consider just skipping my usual process of creating a map to give the players context on where they are where they might go. Travelling isn't going to play a huge role in the campaign, so there's no need to use a map as a tool for measuring distance or time, but I'm afraid the players are going to feel lost or disconnected from the world due to not being able to quickly visualize the area they are in.

So, a question: do you, as a player or GM, find it frustrating to play in a game that does not have a world map sitting on the table? Do you find it hard to come to grips with the world without a visual aid to give you a sense of scale and relation?

goto124
2016-02-18, 04:55 AM
There are campaigns where players draw their own maps, so...

hymer
2016-02-18, 04:58 AM
I recall a very successful one-shot once which had no map of the world, or even the area. There was a map of the vessel we were travelling in, though, and where most of the mystery unfolded and most of the action took place.

I guess it depends on the player whether you can do without a map. I love maps, and my sense of immersion is certainly much improved if there is a map giving me a sense of environment, scale and directions. But maybe you can do a compromise. Only show a map if the PCs go out of the way to buy one. If they want one they'll get one.

Lord Gehnvaar
2016-02-18, 07:33 AM
I think that while maps are a nice addition to de game, you can easily play without a map, all it takes are good descriptions from the DM(in regards of direction, scale,etc.) and players with enough imagination. :smallbiggrin:

Berenger
2016-02-18, 07:40 AM
I'd strongly prefer a map of the area where the campaign takes place, but a map of the city you are playing in is almost a prerequisite to make informed decisions in many standard adventuring situations (chasing a criminal and guessing where he's heading, planning the defense of a city under siege, knowing how far away the nearest constabulary / library / doctor etc. is...).

DigoDragon
2016-02-18, 07:49 AM
My old local group would hang up little maps on the world to keep the table open for the battlemat. They're not required though, as long as your descriptions of where each place is in relation to one another is good. PCs can make their own maps then.

Âmesang
2016-02-18, 08:57 AM
I think that while maps are a nice addition to de game, you can easily play without a map, all it takes are good descriptions from the DM(in regards of direction, scale,etc.) and players with enough imagination. :smallbiggrin:
Or at least players who shut the %&#$ up long enough for one to hear the referee give out the "good" description. :smallconfused: I almost lost a character 'cause I barely heard a thing over the chit-chat going on, so I prefer a map—perhaps with 3×5 cards plastered over it to simulate "fog of war" or hide places they haven't been to yet.