PDA

View Full Version : how do i get wounding?

van luke
2016-02-18, 09:24 AM
How would I get wounding as a special ability . or magicly . like when I hit some one they take hit point damage every round and it stacks with each hit . so wounding or bleeding

Inevitability
2016-02-18, 09:25 AM
There's a weapon enchantment.

You also could be an anthropomorphic bat swarm.

Darrin
2016-02-18, 09:45 AM
It's not a special ability or magical, but:

Wind and Fire feat [Style] (Secrets of Sarlona). Requires Str 13, BAB +4, EWP (cutting wheel), TWF, Weapon Focus (cutting wheel). Each hit causes 1 bleeding damage per round, and multiple hits are cumulative.

van luke
2016-02-18, 10:18 AM
Yes feats are good too I don't care where it comes from

sleepyphoenixx
2016-02-18, 10:28 AM
There's a bunch of wild shape forms that have it. You can usually get it with Enhance Wildshape or automatically if it's listed as a special attack.

Not actually that useful - killing enemies outright is the preferred tactic in D&D after all - but it's there if you really want it.

Shpadoinkle
2016-02-18, 12:36 PM
There's a feat in the Song and Silence splat whose name I forget at the moment (I think it's called Arterial Strike,) it lets you sacrifice Xd6 of sneak attack damage in order to inflict a target with a wound that causes X points of damage every round until it's healed. I only remember that it can be stopped by a Cure Wounds spell of any level or a successful Heal check, but fast healing and regeneration might stop it as well.

Troacctid
2016-02-18, 04:01 PM
Arterial Strike is from Complete Warrior.

Inevitability
2016-02-18, 04:10 PM
Arterial Strike is from Complete Warrior.

It's also pretty bad. You're spending a feat to get what amounts to half a point of extra damage per attack, and that's assuming the battle lasts at least four rounds, and the target doesn't get healed in the meantime. And as damage now is better than damage later, I really can't imagine a scenario where this feat is worth it.

Though I guess the OP just wanted a way to get Wounding, so hey, perhaps it works for him.

Troacctid
2016-02-18, 04:22 PM
Arterial Strike isn't that bad. It keeps dealing damage even if the fight stalls out, or if you run away (or if they run away). It's usually not too difficult to prolong an engagement, if that's what you want to do.

Bat swarms also deal bleed damage, and can be summoned with Summon Swarm. A 1st level Warlock can conjure them at will.

Arael666
2016-02-18, 05:53 PM
You also could be an anthropomorphic bat swarm.

Raw never ceases to amaze me. And yet you just gave me an awesome idea for a villan, a multitude of (insert creature name) develops conscience and wants to take over the world, maybe cranium rats to better explain it... why do I have the feeling that I've seem this somewhere?

frogglesmash
2016-02-18, 11:07 PM
Raw never ceases to amaze me. And yet you just gave me an awesome idea for a villan, a multitude of (insert creature name) develops conscience and wants to take over the world, maybe cranium rats to better explain it... why do I have the feeling that I've seem this somewhere?

Moon Rats from MMII could also be a good choice, though I can't remember if their stats are for a swarm or an individual. A combination of Moon Rats and Cranium rats could also prove to be interesting.

Inevitability
2016-02-19, 03:13 AM
Moon Rats from MMII could also be a good choice, though I can't remember if their stats are for a swarm or an individual. A combination of Moon Rats and Cranium rats could also prove to be interesting.

Moon rats are individually statted, though the Mob template should let you throw a few thousand at once at the PC's.

Arael666
2016-02-19, 05:33 AM

They do look god, but now I think that vermin would be at least 20% cooler. The hivemind concept really brings the BBEG to this character, I wanted something like the worm that walks, but inst an epic monster, is there a template or other way to give them conscience? If not I think I'll just waive the "animal" requirement for the antropomorphic animal to create this guy.

Toilet Cobra
2016-02-19, 10:33 AM
... why do I have the feeling that I've seem this somewhere?

If you are cool with Pathfinder, they have a bunch of fun variants on the Worm That Walks. Locusts, hornets, even cockroaches. It's mostly just a flavor difference but the stats are out there if you want 'em.

Arael666
2016-02-19, 02:11 PM
If you are cool with Pathfinder, they have a bunch of fun variants on the Worm That Walks. Locusts, hornets, even cockroaches. It's mostly just a flavor difference but the stats are out there if you want 'em.

Could you point a link kind sir? :smallbiggrin:

Bobby Baratheon
2016-02-19, 08:20 PM
Warlocks get a greater blast essence (vitriolic blast, IIRC) that does an extra 2d6 acid damage for 1 round/5 caster levels. Oh, and it's per hit. So if you hit twice (with eldritch glaive), and you're caster level 15, that's 4d6/round for three rounds. Not too shabby. Also, it ignores spell resistance. Probably the best blast essence for most situations.

Elxir_Breauer
2016-02-20, 04:26 AM
As was stated before, the Wounding effect can be had via Weapon Properties, it's a +2 equivalent, so minimum +3 overall for cost. However, it doesn't do HP damage as its bonus, it does Constitution damage at 1 point per hit, which is not multiplied on crits (unfortunately). http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicWeapons.htm#wounding There is also Arterial Strike from Complete Warrior/Song and Silence (use the Complete Warrior version since it actually overrides the Song and Silence version due to newest printing). Certain Wildshape forms likely have bleed effects. Usually your best bet as a player is to one- or two-shot the enemy if at all possible, but if you're looking at something to throw against the players as DM, there are worse things you could do to keep up somewhat with their abilities and make longer fights actually start making them worry some.

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-02-20, 03:42 PM
A spell storing weapon with the power word: pain spell in it deals 1d6 points of damage per round for 4d4 rounds if the target's hp are 50 or below, for 2d4 rounds if the target's hp are 75 or less, and for 1d4 rounds if the target's hp are 100 or less. That's 1d6 times better over those rounds, and a cure minor wounds spell won't negate the ongoing damage from it.

And there's no save to avoid, either.

Toilet Cobra
2016-02-20, 05:34 PM
Could you point a link kind sir? :smallbiggrin:

Here you go (http://www.archivesofnethys.com/MonsterDisplay.aspx?ItemName=Locust%20Variant). Apologies for the tardiness.

I'm not sure if the other variants actually have their own stats or not, but the locust version is fully drawn up at least.