PDA

View Full Version : Would like a answer to this question plz and thxs

Sir cryosin
2016-02-18, 10:02 AM
If I sorcerer cast witch bolt next turn can I quicken a different spell. Or does cast the new spell take my action then get turn in to a bonus action there forgoing my witch bolt?

Ninja_Prawn
2016-02-18, 10:08 AM
Casting a quickened spell does not stop you from using your action to maintain the existing Witch Bolt.

So you could...

Turn 1: Take the Dash action (or any other action that doesn't use a spell slot).
Use a bonus action to cast Quickened Witch Bolt.

Turn 2: Use an action to deal Witch Bolt's damage again.
Use a bonus action to cast Quickened Magic Missile (or any other bonus action).

I don't see any reason why this wouldn't be allowed.

CaptAl
2016-02-18, 06:54 PM
Casting a quickened spell does not stop you from using your action to maintain the existing Witch Bolt.

So you could...

Turn 1: Take the Dash action (or any other action that doesn't use a spell slot).
Use a bonus action to cast Quickened Witch Bolt.

Turn 2: Use an action to deal Witch Bolt's damage again.
Use a bonus action to cast Quickened Magic Missile (or any other bonus action).

I don't see any reason why this wouldn't be allowed.

Yup, listen to Ninja_Prawn. Totally on point with this.

Gnomes2169
2016-02-18, 07:36 PM
Usimg an action to maintain a spell is not the same as using your action to cast a spell, so you could quicken other spells while maintaining Witch Bolt.

Than
2016-02-18, 09:44 PM
So long as you don't quicken another concentration-type spell. Casting a second concentration spell causes you to lose the previous one.

Lines
2016-02-18, 10:09 PM
On that note - is there ever an actual reason to use witch bolt? Does 1d12 damage per level, and then 1d12 damage (does not scale) if you stay within 30 feet and use up your action and concentration.

The initial damage is crap, the scaling's ok but doesn't really cancel out how crap the initial damage is and the maintained part does not scale at all and does less than a cantrip will past 5. What's the actual point of the spell?

RickAllison
2016-02-18, 10:22 PM
They overestimated its power?

Lines
2016-02-18, 10:26 PM
Looks like they did by a large margin. Wouldn't be the worst spell if the secondary damage was 1d12 per level, too - it'd be a fairly risky venture, needing to stay within 30 feet, use your action each round and concentrate on it, you'd lose the spell unless you were very careful, but it'd pay off reasonably well if you could keep it going for multiple rounds - but as it is, I can't see a use. Just cast a spell that does better damage on the first round and use cantrips thereafter.

RickAllison
2016-02-18, 10:43 PM
Looks like they did by a large margin. Wouldn't be the worst spell if the secondary damage was 1d12 per level, too - it'd be a fairly risky venture, needing to stay within 30 feet, use your action each round and concentrate on it, you'd lose the spell unless you were very careful, but it'd pay off reasonably well if you could keep it going for multiple rounds - but as it is, I can't see a use. Just cast a spell that does better damage on the first round and use cantrips thereafter.

Does Spell Sniper increase the range? I really want to make Witch Bolt viable, but I'm just not seeing it. The only thing I can think of that could potentially make good use of it would be a creature with Legendary Actions; if they're at that level, however, Witch Bolt probably does less than a variety of other actions. It's really a shame, the spell sounds so awesome!

EDIT: I got one idea! Still not great, but its at least something, if only useful for an enemy. A Glabrezu Sorcerer (Draconic) 8 (for ASIs) can make his Multiattack to attack and grapple two PCs while keeping them at 10 ft using his Pincer attacks, then finalize the attack using a Twinned Witch Bolt. At least at that point he gets 2d12+10 each turn with Elemental Affinity and can then Quicken spellcast. There, witch bolt is now capable of doing passable damage under questionable rulings with one specific CR 9 creature.

PeteNutButter
2016-02-18, 10:59 PM
Quicken is one of those few abilities that is really useful for multi-classing. On its on there are a few sorcerer spells that can utilize it, but having other spells or options (smite), make it a lot better.

A multiclassed tempest cleric can make some use of that d12 die on witch bolt for maximization, you can also twin it and maintain both at the same time.

If you really want to abuse the concentration + quicken spells look for ways to get Call Lightning, such as 5 levels of the aforementioned tempest cleric. A 3rd Level Sorcerer, 6th Level Tempest Cleric, could cast a 5th lvl witch bolt and a 4th lvl call lightning, maximising both to deal 100 damage. (60 on the witch bolt and 40 on the call lightning assuming you hit and they fail their save)

RickAllison
2016-02-18, 11:01 PM
Quicken is one of those few abilities that is really useful for multi-classing. On its on there are a few sorcerer spells that can utilize it, but having other spells or options (smite), make it a lot better.

A multiclassed tempest cleric can make some use of that d12 die on witch bolt for maximization, you can also twin it and maintain both at the same time.

If you really want to abuse the concentration + quicken spells look for ways to get Call Lightning, such as 5 levels of the aforementioned tempest cleric. A 3rd Level Sorcerer, 6th Level Tempest Cleric, could cast a 5th lvl witch bolt and a 4th lvl call lightning, maximising both to deal 100 damage. (60 on the witch bolt and 40 on the call lightning assuming you hit and they fail their save)

Can I steal that to use as a cleric of Talos?

CantigThimble
2016-02-18, 11:09 PM

How much better is that really than chromatic orb though?

Talamare
2016-02-18, 11:10 PM
On that note - is there ever an actual reason to use witch bolt? Does 1d12 damage per level, and then 1d12 damage (does not scale) if you stay within 30 feet and use up your action and concentration.

The initial damage is crap, the scaling's ok but doesn't really cancel out how crap the initial damage is and the maintained part does not scale at all and does less than a cantrip will past 5. What's the actual point of the spell?

No attack roll after you hit with it once
Meaning its technically pretty good at levels 1~4

It just doesn't scale

PeteNutButter
2016-02-18, 11:26 PM

Yes you can.

And how much worse is it than chromatic orb? Well it doesn't even pass it up until 3rd lvl slots, but out scales hard from there if you maximize it.

CantigThimble
2016-02-18, 11:37 PM
Yes you can.

And how much worse is it than chromatic orb? Well it doesn't even pass it up until 3rd lvl slots, but out scales hard from there if you maximize it.

After having played a cleric I have a really hard time believing I would ever want to use an entire level of a spell slot just to deal 12 damage on an attack roll. spell levels above 3rd are just so valuable for prayers of healing, revivification, dispel magic, death ward, banishment and all the other utility clerics need to provide. Using a 1st or 2nd level spell slot for damage is fine but higher than that just gets so precious.

PeteNutButter
2016-02-18, 11:41 PM
After having played a cleric I have a really hard time believing I would ever want to use an entire level of a spell slot just to deal 12 damage on an attack roll. spell levels above 3rd are just so valuable for prayers of healing, revivification, dispel magic, death ward, banishment and all the other utility clerics need to provide. Using a 1st or 2nd level spell slot for damage is fine but higher than that just gets so precious.

This build would not be the party's healer. Simple as that. It is a blaster that happens to be capable of healing.

Consider this: If you successfully deal 100 damage on round one of combat, all your party has to do is about 20 to 40 damage and you have killed the enemy big baddie on round 1. You won't need as many healing spells then.

Nicodiemus
2016-02-19, 04:56 PM

So this is pretty niche, but displacer beasts snap into focus when they're damaged. Lasts until their next turn so if you lock on with witch bolt then it effectively negates the beast's primary defense as long as you maintain concentration.

Vogonjeltz
2016-02-19, 05:16 PM

Potential damage range and spell slot efficiency.

It's the most efficient use of a spell slot when you get it, having the highest single target damage potential out of that 1st level slot.

10d12 damage from a single level 1 spell slot; nothing else comes close.

Ah you say, cantrips? You have to keep making attack rolls/saving throws for cantrips. Witch Bolt is automatic after it lands. The only requirement is to maintain range. This actually makes it an ideal spell for say, an Eldritch Knight, or a Wizard supporting a grappler (whose target won't be able to get away).

Lines
2016-02-20, 08:33 AM
Potential damage range and spell slot efficiency.

It's the most efficient use of a spell slot when you get it, having the highest single target damage potential out of that 1st level slot.

10d12 damage from a single level 1 spell slot; nothing else comes close.

Ah you say, cantrips? You have to keep making attack rolls/saving throws for cantrips. Witch Bolt is automatic after it lands. The only requirement is to maintain range. This actually makes it an ideal spell for say, an Eldritch Knight, or a Wizard supporting a grappler (whose target won't be able to get away).

But fights pretty much flat out don't last a full minute. And a wizard lasting a full minute without moving more than 30 feet away from someone or losing concentration makes no sense - if the target is completely locked down you've won anyway, and if it isn't it's going to hit you.

Once a Fool
2016-02-20, 11:14 AM

I think Witch Bolt could be okay in conjunction with Booming Blade.