PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Using a Shield Guardian

TheRedTemplar
2016-02-18, 12:17 PM
Recently, my Paladin/Sorcerer got a Shield Guardian Amulet from Out of the Abyss. Considering the fact that this is a CR 7 Construct that you are otherwise unable to get in any manner, I thought it might be a cool idea to see what uses some people could come up with for it.

Here is a typical Shield Guardian's stats:

Large Construct, Unaligned
Armor Class: 17 (natural armor)

Hit Points: 142 (15d10 + 60)
Speed: 30 ft.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
STR 18 (+4) / DEX 8 (-1) / CON 18 (+4) / INT 7 (-2) / WIS 10 (+0) / CHA 5 (-3)
Senses: Blindsight 10ft, Darkvision 60ft., Passive Perception 15
Damage Immunities: Poison
Condition Immunities: Charmed, Exhausted, Frightened, Paralyzed, Poisoned
Languages: Can't Speak, but understands any order given too it.
Challenge: 7 (2,900 XP)
Bound: The shield guardian is magically bound to an amulet. As long as the guardian and its amulet are on the same plane of existence, the amulet's wearer can telepathically call the guardian to travel to it, and the guardian knows the distance and direction to the amulet. If the guardian is within 60 feet of the amulet’s wearer, half of any damage the wearer takes (rounded up) is transferred to the guardian.

Regeneration: The shield guardian regains 10 hit points at the start of it’s turn if it has at least 1 hit point.

Spell Storing: A spellcaster who wears the shield guardian's amulet can cause the guardian to store one spell of 4th level or lower. To do so, the wearer must cast the spell on the guardian. The spell has no effect but is stored within the guardian. When commanded to do so by the wearer or when a situation arises that was predefined by the spellcaster, the guardian casts the stored spell with any parameters set by the original caster, requiring no components. When the spell is cast or a new spell is stored, any previously stored spell is lost.
Multiattack: The Shield Guardian makes two Fist attacks.

Fist: Melee Weapon Attack: +7 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 11 (2d6 + 4) bludgeoning damage.
Shield: When a creature makes an attack against the wearer of the guardian's amulet, the guardian grants a +2 bonus to the wearer's AC if the guardian is within 5 feet of the wearer.

Here were some ideas I was thinking of:

Revivify: On-Demand revive incase someone dies, to help save the cleric some time and spell slots.

Haste: Because it is the one maintaining concentration, the Shield Guardian can cast haste on my Paladorc, and simply stand out of harm's way so that no one targets it to disrupt it's concentration. This could also let me stack another buff on top of Haste, such as Blur or Elemental Weapon.

Beacon of Hope + Aura of Vitality: By concentrating on Aura of Vitality I can have the Shield Guardian use it's bonus actions to restore 2d6 HP to anyone in range who needs it. Combined with the party Life Cleric or myself for Beacon of Hope, and it becomes an automatic 12 hit points to whoever needs it the most. This includes the Shield Guardian itself, because Aura of Vitality doesn't exclude Undead or Constructs like Cure Wounds does.

Death Ward: Prevent insta-kills and simulate the Half-Orc's natural ability.

Any Blast Spell: Fireball, Erupting Earth, Ice Storm and Lightning Bolt could all be useful for some extra damage in a pinch, although it's probably not the best use of this ability.

Find Steed: Give the giant robot it's own mount. Tavern Wenches love giant robots on mounts.

Dimension Door: Probably the best Panic Button that the Shield Guardian can use.

Anyone else got any fun ideas of what to do with this thing?

MaxWilson
2016-02-18, 12:29 PM
I'm paranoid enough that Revivify would be my choice. Dimension Door is nice, but you can't generally predict in advance how you will need to use it. E.g. Contingency: Dimension Door straight up 500' (and then Feather Fall back down) is great in some areas and suicide in others.

The main way I'd use the Shield Guardian is to basically double my hit points and slightly increase my AC. The extra damage isn't bad either, although you get that part from any minion at all including a (Planar Bound) Invisible Stalker.

Segev
2016-02-18, 05:10 PM
Cast haste (or other concentration spell) into it, then, when it uses that spell on you, cast revivify into it. It can maintain concentration and cast revivify in a pinch. Downside: you could be caught with your normal revivify person being the one surprise-KO'd while the Guardian has the concentration spell, but that would require one specific person be the one to drop during what you thought was a non-combat situation.

Sir cryosin
2016-02-19, 08:17 PM
Is that in the dmg? If so we're I can't fine it.

MaxWilson
2016-02-19, 08:53 PM
Is that in the dmg? If so we're I can't fine it.

The Shield Guardian is a monster in the Monster Manual.

PeteNutButter
2016-02-20, 02:12 PM
I as well am a gish paladin/sorcerer that has aquired a shield gaurdian. I'd suggest haste.

It says it shares all the parameters of the original casting, so does that include metamagic? Ask your DM.

Limited Gish
2016-02-21, 04:47 AM
Warding Bond!

MaxWilson
2016-02-21, 04:51 AM
Warding Bond!

Mad props for creativity, if you're a Crown Paladin with access to Warding Bond.

TheRedTemplar
2016-02-21, 09:23 PM
Mad props for creativity, if you're a Crown Paladin with access to Warding Bond.

I don't have warding bond, but my Life Cleric pal does ;)

On another hand, it seems a lot of people like Haste. It's a shame I can't cast it yet (just two more levels!)