PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Blood Hunter / Nature Cleric (Shillelagh + Rite of the Dawn)

JakOfAllTirades
2016-02-18, 02:17 PM
I'm not sure this is a legal combo:

I've got a Blood Hunter (Ghost Slayer archetype) with a level in Nature Cleric, and I chose Shillelagh for his Druid cantrip. This lets me use his WIS modifier for attack and damage with his staff, which is no problem. However, as a 3rd level Blood Hunter, the Rite of the Dawn feature also adds his WIS modifier his attacks as Radiant damage vs. Undead. (At 10th level, this affects all creatures, not just undead.)

So, I'm creating a 15th level Blood Hunter, he's got a 20 Wisdom, and I'm looking at adding his Wisdom twice to all his attacks (with another +2 for the Dueling fighting style) and wondering if this is "too good to be true" because I'm seeing +12 damage on pretty much all of his melee attacks.

Is there any rule in 5E against that type of "double dipping" where you add the same ability modifier twice to the same die roll?

PoeticDwarf
2016-02-18, 02:39 PM
A link to this blood hunter would help me. I'm not too sure but I think you can't. Not 100% sure

JakOfAllTirades
2016-02-18, 02:53 PM
I got the free version when it was Geek & Sundry; now it's available on the Dungeon Masters Guild on a Pay What You Want basis:

http://www.dmsguild.com/product/170777/Blood-Hunter-Class

Xethik
2016-02-18, 02:55 PM
I believe you are allowed to do this. It works for Warlocks + Shillelagh + Lifedrinker. This is pretty much identical.

Since the bonus damage is Radiant, too, it should work fine.

JakOfAllTirades
2016-02-18, 03:02 PM
I believe you are allowed to do this. It works for Warlocks + Shillelagh + Lifedrinker. This is pretty much identical.

Since the bonus damage is Radiant, too, it should work fine.

Interesting. Has there been any "official" discussion of this in Sage Advice or elsewhere?

Thanx heaps.

BRC
2016-02-18, 03:44 PM
Unlikely, Blood Hunter is a 3rd party class.

The only potentially similar situation in Core is a very high-level Warlock/Bard build. Lore Bard 6 to get Shillelagh as a Bard spell, then 12 levels in Blade Pact Warlock to get Lifedrinker.

But that does not come online until 18th level.

Xethik
2016-02-18, 03:51 PM
Interesting. Has there been any "official" discussion of this in Sage Advice or elsewhere?

Thanx heaps.

I actually looked and couldn't find anything for Shillelagh + Lifedrinker, but I didn't see anything. I'll double check after work as I'm not curious.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?399153-shillelagh-bladelock-lifedrinker is a discussion from last year on the topic, at least.

Douche
2016-02-18, 04:00 PM
My blood hunter uses a whip & a hand crossbow. It's pretty awesome. I am the night!!!

wunderkid
2016-02-18, 04:08 PM
Is this DMs guild all homebrew stuff?

Xethik
2016-02-18, 04:21 PM
Is this DMs guild all homebrew stuff?

That's the idea of the site, yeah. There is some non-rule stuff, like character sheets or spell cards that would be hard to call 'homebrew'. But other than some images hosted by WotC, it is all player created content.

Hamster Friend
2016-11-17, 08:26 PM
I was thinking of trying a build like this too, but with Magic Initiate instead of flat-out multiclassing. On paper it does look like it helps a bit with the Blood Hunter's MAD, keep refreshing Shillelagh on your weapon(s) of choice and that's pretty much WIS to attack/damage forever. The only problem I can see for now is all the bonus actions you'd have to spend re-buffing if you somehow get disarmed, or a fight lasts more than 10 rounds.

Am I reading this right, TWF disallows you to add WIS to a shillelagh club wielded in the off-hand until you get the dual wield fighting style?