PDA

View Full Version : DM Help An Attack from the Sun!

Jon_Dahl
2016-02-18, 02:31 PM
I have a very hack 'n slash heavy adventure idea, but I need your help to get the game mechanics right. Flavor ideas are welcome too.

The game world is Greyhawk. The efreeti that reside in the Sun (called Liga) have gathered a massive amount of mercenaries and slave soldiers, put them in ships (that I'd like to look like caravels) and set out to conquer the earth (called Oerth), or at least a part of it. Suddenly these flying caravels fly from the sky, crash or land in several places across the world and start frantically killing and subduing any and all creatures they find. The shock effect is everything; this is blitzkrieg.

What should the ships be? Any technical data? I've read a bit of Spelljammer, but they don't need to be Spelljammer ships. Any ideas for the Army of the Sun?

Mr Adventurer
2016-02-18, 02:35 PM
Stormwrack has rules for ships. Eberron has rules for elemental-powered airships.

Edit: out of interest, where'd they get the mercenaries from?

Jon_Dahl
2016-02-18, 03:06 PM
Stormwrack has rules for ships. Eberron has rules for elemental-powered airships.

Edit: out of interest, where'd they get the mercenaries from?

Are you sure that Stormwrack has all the rules one needs to built ships on a sun and fly them across the stars?

I don't know about the mercenaries, but I was thinking that the sun has a portal to the elemental plane of fire, and they can hire mercs from there. Also, there are other planets along the way. One of the stars could have... devils? Devil star, for banished devils.

Mr Adventurer
2016-02-18, 03:11 PM
There are no rules in 3.5 for such a thing. So, make it up. I gave you some pointers you could use if you want.

nedz
2016-02-18, 03:29 PM
Lichtkrieg you mean ?

So these ships: you could make them out of prisms and have mirror sails, or mirror sails atop brass hulls ? The mirror sails are important I think.

Mr Adventurer
2016-02-18, 04:16 PM
In some cosmologies, the sun IS a big portal to the Plane of Fire. You could do something cool with the civilisation of genies that live there being a travel hub for the fire-immune. Shades of the City of Brass and the Outlands gate towns.

An alternative to mirror sails could be shadow sails and mirror engines.

Albions_Angel
2016-02-18, 04:32 PM
The chances of anything coming from Liga are a million to one. A million to one!

But still they come!

Âmesang
2016-02-18, 07:39 PM
I beseech you; name the efreeti sultan "Omar Khayyám," and have them sail on a ruby yacht. :smallbiggrin:

I take it you've read the (2e) Greyspace supplement for SPELLJAMMER®?