PDA

View Full Version : Speculation Half Red Dragon Bronze Draconic Sorcerer Black Dragonborn: How much is too much?

Spectre9000
2016-02-18, 03:35 PM
So, theoretically, you can choose to be a Dragonborn of a particular type of a dragon, whilst also being a Draconic Sorcerer of a different type. You can then become a Half-Dragon of yet another type. How much Dragon is too much, and what would be the implications of this? Also, how are you not a full dragon by this point? You have to be almost pure-blooded draconic by this point with this much dragon blood running through your veins. What do you all think about this, the fact you can have resistance to 3 types of magic attacks, as well as multiple breath weapons?

Ralanr
2016-02-18, 03:37 PM
How are you a half-dragon? That's not a player option.

Sir cryosin
2016-02-18, 03:39 PM
Your puff the rainbow dragon. He would need to go see a counselor because he will be having identity issues.

DracoKnight
2016-02-18, 03:40 PM

Some DMs I know allow their players to use the template from the MM.

I don't agree or disagree with their allowance of the template, but there it is. :smalltongue:

GandalfTheWhite
2016-02-18, 03:42 PM
You are one PROUD dragon-being. No one can nail down your identity, it's fairly fluid, and you fly the rainbow flag.

hymer
2016-02-18, 03:47 PM
the fact you can have resistance to 3 types of magic attacks, as well as multiple breath weapons?

Well, the sorcerer resistance is conditional on spending resources on it. And if you get a free template, other PCs should have something of similar value. So I'm not particularly worried about someone having some resistances. Bear totem barbarians can do something similar at a pinch.
As for the breath weapons, they rather lose their lustre as you gain levels. If you do it late enough, I don't think it's going to be a problem. The sorcerer is likely to have better things to spend his time on in a fight.

As for the whole half black, half blue, half brass kinda thing, well... If a serious player has a serious explanation, I'd consider it, and insist it be sufficiently small fractions that you aren't playing more than one dragon. :smallwink: But generally speaking, it seems quite silly to me. It's hard to imagine a good background story.

Lines
2016-02-18, 03:51 PM
You're doing Tiamat's work here, son. I would have gone Bahamut, but a dragon god that's 5 different types of dragon seemed more appropriate. Back in 3.5 you could be, I **** you not, a half-dragon dragon. A half dragon was more draconic than a regular type of whatever the other half was, getting a breath weapon, extra strength/charisma etc and if it was big enough, wings - and that apparently applied even if the other half was dragon too so it would be stronger than a regular one with two breath weapons and (maybe?) four wings. Is a half red half white dragon a pink dragon?

What I'm saying here is that this is a noble tradition that you should be proud to carry on and if a bear type race should come out you should also consider making a bear totem werebear.

Also optimisation wise be half silver dragon, paralysis breath never stops being good.

Since when? It has specific rules for how to be one. Sure I wouldn't call it open by default, but nor is a death cleric - DMs are free to allow it, the work's been done for them.

Sir cryosin
2016-02-18, 03:58 PM
Mom was dragonborn of Xcolor daddy was Xcolor dragon polymorphed. Then afters slaing dragon of Xcolor took a bath in Xcolor dragon blood. And came out looking like a hippie attacked him.

KorvinStarmast
2016-02-18, 04:04 PM
Mom was dragonborn of Xcolor daddy was Xcolor dragon polymorphed. Then afters slaing dragon of Xcolor took a bath in Xcolor dragon blood. And came out looking like a hippie attacked him. Man, that's like Aggies and Longhorns dating and getting married: some things just aren't right! :smalleek: (Wait a sec, my sister in law and her husband are in such a mixed marriage, and all is well 25+ years later).

OK, to answer the OP:

You are a pair of boots and a purse just waiting to be made for a Storm giant's wife. Fashion accessory? You are it, soon.

gfishfunk
2016-02-18, 04:13 PM
I can only image some Dragonborn going off on various lineages and tracing back to great grandparents to justify being a half-red but really primarily Bronze Dragonborn that inherited a bit of the old Black (Sorcerer's) magic from his great, great grand-pappy.

If I were the GM, I would occasionally force a history check. On a natural 1-3, the Dragonborn would be related to one of the villains as a second cousin on the half-red dragon side. "Oh that's right......My mother's second cousin married an owlbear....ah."

RickAllison
2016-02-18, 05:15 PM
I can only image some Dragonborn going off on various lineages and tracing back to great grandparents to justify being a half-red but really primarily Bronze Dragonborn that inherited a bit of the old Black (Sorcerer's) magic from his great, great grand-pappy.

If I were the GM, I would occasionally force a history check. On a natural 1-3, the Dragonborn would be related to one of the villains as a second cousin on the half-red dragon side. "Oh that's right......My mother's second cousin married an owlbear....ah."

I love this. I feel like a 1-level dip into Cleric (Knowledge) to get Expertise in History would fit right in :smallbiggrin:

Temperjoke
2016-02-18, 05:18 PM
*sighs and mutters "Adventurers" under his breath*

Steampunkette
2016-02-18, 06:19 PM
If I allowed Half-dragons I'd allow it.

Dragonborn aren't dragons. They're related, but they're not dragons.

The first Dragonborn were hatched from the eggs of the dragons whose scales they bear, whether by the hands of the Gods or some draconic alchemy. But they are not exactly bound to it.

Now you could have a Black Dragonborn who, thanks to a tryst long ago, had bronze dragonblood introduced into his bloodline through a half-dragon ancestor who was still a black dragonborn. And then, have the descendant, the bronze-blooded black dragonborn mate with a red dragon to produce their offspring who is a half-red bronze-blooded black dragonborn.

That child would not be a Dragon, since half of their direct parentage is dragonborn. Nor would it be any more "Dragon" than any other half-dragon.

But it would be closer in direct bloodline, thanks to the alchemical or deific creation of the Dragonborn.

And thanks. Now Dragon and Born mean absolutely nothing to me because I overused them...

Ralanr
2016-02-18, 06:23 PM
And thanks. Now Dragon and Born mean absolutely nothing to me because I overused them...

I suggest we change their name so we can avoid this confusion. I vote Drakogin.

CaptAl
2016-02-18, 06:46 PM

The first Dragonborn were hatched from the eggs of the dragons whose scales they bear, whether by the hands of the Gods or some draconic alchemy. But they are not exactly bound to it.

Now you could have a Black Dragonborn who, thanks to a tryst long ago, had bronze dragonblood introduced into his bloodline through a half-dragon ancestor who was still a black dragonborn. And then, have the descendant, the bronze-blooded black dragonborn mate with a red dragon to produce their offspring who is a half-red bronze-blooded black dragonborn.

That child would not be a Dragon, since half of their direct parentage is dragonborn. Nor would it be any more "Dragon" than any other half-dragon.

But it would be closer in direct bloodline, thanks to the alchemical or deific creation of the Dragonborn.

My eyes crossed reading that. It's perfectly clear, just convoluted.

AstralFire
2016-02-19, 09:24 AM
Sometimes I wish V had cast his epic spell in so many other settings... So much dragon saturation. :p

DizzyWood
2016-02-19, 12:09 PM

I think this would make a great NPC or BBEG. Think of it! You could have some comedy as the PCs try and figure out the guys ancestry and they keep getting it wrong and have to be corrected. Weird and overly complicated back story makes for a great bad guy.... Hmmm I might have to use this!

Belac93
2016-02-19, 01:42 PM
I shudder to imagine how this creature came to be. I feel like a black dragonborn had a child with a bronze dragon, and those two's great great grandchild had a kid with a red dragon.

If you did this, you could actually know your great great great grandfather.

Corran
2016-02-20, 01:05 AM
Sometimes I wish V had cast his epic spell in so many other settings... So much dragon saturation. :p
Certainly you mean her epic spell, right? :smallbiggrin: