PDA

View Full Version : nWOD vs. oWOD

puppyavenger
2007-06-17, 10:44 AM
I'm thinking of buying WOD an wondering, which is better old or new? anyway any help is apreceiated(sp)

and if I don't get any repliese I'll just buy CoC

InaVegt
2007-06-17, 11:26 AM
I personally like oWoD better, though nWoD is a more unified system and easier on those new to the game, it is also more balanced in between the different kinds of players (a novice werewolf would tear a vampire elder apart in oWoD, but alas this beauty is no more)

Kurald Galain
2007-06-17, 11:30 AM
Depends, really.

nWOD has a better ruleset - it is more polished and consistent, and does crossovers better. Note btw that oWOD spans three editions and several subsystems, and the more recent ones are also pretty good in this aspect. It is a matter of taste whether or not this is important.
oWOD is said by many fans to have the better atmosphere, especially wrt vampires and mages. This, too, is a matter of taste.

It's really apples and oranges. For instance, oWOD vampires grow stronger with age, play centuries-lasting political games, and tend to be influenced by hidden forces way older than them. nWOD vampires grow stronger through blood and weaken down after centuries (or so I'm told, I haven't played it).

oWOD mages are fighting a losing battle to change the way the world thinks, because belief equals reality. nWOD mages are simply spellcasters with no meta-reality effects.

Also, oWOD has Demon, Mummy, Changeling, Hunter and Wraith; nWOD has Prometheus. Matter of taste really. nWOD is probably easier to get these days.

Jannex
2007-06-17, 02:35 PM
I vastly prefer oWoD, especially in terms of setting. The system for nWoD has some good points (i.e. streamlining, equipment rules), but there are also elements that strike me as problematic (for starters, the starting power level of most PCs) and honestly, I feel like nWoD lost the richness and vitality of atmosphere that made oWoD interesting. The oWoD stuff may be a little more of a challenge to find, but as someone who's played in the setting for years, I can tell you it's well worth the effort.

Driderman
2007-06-17, 02:58 PM
I vastly prefer oWoD, especially in terms of setting. The system for nWoD has some good points (i.e. streamlining, equipment rules), but there are also elements that strike me as problematic (for starters, the starting power level of most PCs) and honestly, I feel like nWoD lost the richness and vitality of atmosphere that made oWoD interesting. The oWoD stuff may be a little more of a challenge to find, but as someone who's played in the setting for years, I can tell you it's well worth the effort.

Took the words right out of my mouth.
Well except for the good points...

LongVin
2007-06-17, 04:43 PM
You can find nearly every oWoD book on Alibris.com or Dragonstrove.com and generally for a good price. I just ordered 6 of the books I missed in their original runs.