PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Cosplayer (5e Homebrew, WIP)

2016-02-18, 11:36 PM
Most people who call themselves "cosplayers" are scrubs unwilling to go the extra mile. They don't learn how to mimic their favorite fictional tricks with impressive imitations, they don't go out and challenge monsters to duels, they can't even wear armor that's actually functional! Filthy casuals, the lot of them. You always go the extra mile, putting together elaborate costumes that let you actually function in a fight; every last hidden pocket you've got is filled to the brim with firecrackers, pepper spray, coal dust, grenades

HIT POINTS
Hit Dice: d8
Hit Points at 1st Level: 8+Constitution modifier
Hit Points at Higher Levels: 1d8(or 5)+Constitution modifier

PROFICIENCIES
Armor: Light Armor, Shields
Weapons: All Simple Weapons
Tools: one set of artisan tools of your choice, Disguise Kit
Saving Throws: Wisdom, Charisma
Skills: choose any two skills

EQUIPMENT
You start with the following equipment, in addition to the equipment granted by your background:

"Cosplayer"

Level
Proficiency Bonus
Features
Cantrips Known
Spells Known
Spell Slots
Slot Level

1st
+2
Stage Magic, Cosplay Genre
1st

2nd
+2
Genre Ability
1st

3rd
+2
Wrong Genre Savvy
2nd

4th
+2
Ability Score Improvement
2nd

5th
+3
Genre Ability
3rd

6th
+3
Expertise
3rd

7th
+3
Dazzling Display
4th

8th
+3
4th

9th
+4
Genre Ability
5th

10th
+4
Dangerously Genre Savvy
5th

11th
+4
Showstopper (lvl 6)
5th

12th
+4
5th

13th
+5
Showstopper (lvl 7)
5th

14th
+5
Genre Ability
5th

15th
+5
Showstopper (lvl 8)
5th

16th
+5
5th

17th
+6
Showstopper (lvl 9)
5th

18th
+6
Genre Ability
5th

19th
+6
5th

20th
+6
Genre Mastery
5th

Class features are not detailed yet, but the current plans are "detailed" below (for a certain value of "detailed):

Stage Magic: Works like Pact Magic, Cha-based, spells known may be chosen from any list (which will almost certainly change, with certain spells being also put on the class spell list for you).

Dazzling Display: Cha mod/long rest, you can use a bonus action to distract all enemies within (30 or 60) feet who can see you (including through special senses). They must make a DC (8+Prof+Cha) save or be affected by the appropriate condition for up to (Cha mod) rounds; they can attempt the save (at disadvantage) on the beginning of their turn every round during the duration; if they succeed, it ends. The condition applied on a failed save gets worse at higher levels.

Wrong Genre Savvy: Cha mod/long rest, you can use a bonus action to change out your base Genre abilities for others; you can mix-and-match between up to (Prof) total genres; at the end of the encounter, all non-base Genre abilities return to their equivalent base Genre ability, and you suffer a number of levels of fatigue equal to the number of genres you had abilities for that were not your Base Genre.

Showstopper: Works just like Mystic Arcanum, moving on.

Dangerously Genre Savvy: Not sure what I want to do here yet, but the name feels right.

Genre Mastery: As DGS.

Cosplay Genre: Currently, I've got plans for High Fantasy, Historical, Sci-Fi, High-Action Anime, Magic Anime, Sentai Anime, and a few others. If other genres could be suggested (or more appropriate names for anime genres), I'd be appreciative.

JNAProductions
2016-02-18, 11:40 PM
Dangerously Genre Savvy-Perhaps make it work like Foresight? Or a lesser version thereof?

2016-02-18, 11:52 PM
Dangerously Genre Savvy-Perhaps make it work like Foresight? Or a lesser version thereof?

Current idea is either...

a) Cha mod/long rest cast a spell not on your spells known list

b) half-proficiency (if not proficient) on Initiative, Perception/Insight/Investigation checks, advantage on Initiative.

c) some kind of spell recovery method

It's worth mentioning that the 2nd lvl Genre ability is intended to be a bonus proficiency and a small effect, while the 5th lvl Genre ability for Historical and Action Anime will be Extra Attack. I'll fill in my ideas when I can over the next 4-5 hours, but I can't promise it'll be particularly soon beyond that.