PDA

View Full Version : Help with Two Character Ideas

RMS Oceanic
2007-06-17, 11:50 AM
Idea One

Hearing how fun and effective a Rogue 3/Swashbuckler X build with Daring Outlaw from Complete Scoundrel can be, I've decided to give it a try with a Human in a normal game that starts at level 6. A total loss of only 1 BAB and that d10 HD looks pretty tasty. I have two ideas for his style of combat, however:

1. Exotic Weapon Proficiency - Elven Courtblade (Two-handed sword, 1d10 damage, Weapon Finessable, Critical 18-20), Combat Expertise, Improved Feint - In order to improve my sneak attack frequency.
2. Exotic Weapon Proficiency - Elven Lightblade (Identical to Rapier, but a Light Weapon), Two-Weapon Fighting - To increase my sneak attack damage when the opportunity arises.

Which combat style would be more effective for this build? Either way, my stats will be going into dexterity-intelligence-charisma-constitution-strength-wisdom, in that order.

Idea Two

In a Gestalt game that starts at level six, I want to try a Dwarven Knight//Fighter, with interest in advancing to Dwarven Defender. Which class should I abandon? I'm leaning towards Knight, so I can get that Fighter ability from Complete Champion to sacrifice base will save for a bonus to AC, which works well with the Knight as a tank, and the Will save progressions of both the knight and the Defender. It also means I'm not having redundant d12 hit dice. My stat priority will be constitution-charisma-strength-intelligence-wisdom-dexterity.

A couple of other things to consider for this build:
1. Would it be too much of a stretch to persuade my DM to accept Improved Toughness (rather than just Toughness) as a DD prerequisite?
2. What kind of weapon/armor configuration would I go for? Would Waraxe/Shield/Adamantine Fullplate be the best choice?

Thanks for your input.

Jannex
2007-06-17, 02:45 PM
For Idea One, I'd say go for the Lightblade. As shiny as the Courtblade is (and it is...), with Swashbuckler you'll have a high enough BAB to make TWF, with its -2 to attack, still worthwhile, and 2d6 + sneak-attack-twice is better than 1d10 + sneak-attack-once.

Bear in mind, though, that (if I remember correctly) Swashbuckler gets crap skill points, so be prepared to take that hit as a tradeoff for the increased combat prowess. Honestly, if it were me, I'd play the Rogue//Swashbuckler in the gestalt game you talk about in Idea Two (and thereby keep all the shiny Rogue abilities, and not lose that +1 BAB), and then you wouldn't have to drop a feat on Daring Outlaw (Weapon Finesse at first level!) but that's just me; YMMV.