PDA

View Full Version : MtG: YMTC challenge IV: Don't make functional reprints

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6

braveheart
2016-04-14, 05:18 PM
Actually the wording on the indestructible equipment would leave your creatures dead at the start of the second main phase, if that's your intent then good, but if you want it to keep things alive, then It should say "whenever equipped creature attacks, it gains indestructible until end of turn"

Blue Ghost
2016-04-14, 10:32 PM
There are a few cards that turn other things into themselves. It's an exciting ability with a lot of potential. Putting it on an equipment gives it more flexibility and allows it to be reused. I think this is a good design.

http://i1283.photobucket.com/albums/a560/BlueGhostITP/Parasprites_zpsiebmpjpy.png

Next: A cursed artifact.

braveheart
2016-04-15, 02:05 AM
Interesting, a multiplier that actually has some utility, and evasion, it might need to cost 3 though to keep it from sweeping limited games to quickly when it comes up, or maybe just have a second color

Blade of the Damed 4
Artifact - Equipment - R
Equip (4)
Equipped creature gets Trample, Haste, Indestructible, and +3/+0
At the end of combat, if equipped creature dealt combat damage sacrifice it
"Such power, to bad it consumes all who dare to use it"

Make a blue green spell

r2d2go
2016-04-15, 03:15 AM
Seems a bit overcosted - at 4 to equip it's unlikely to haste much of value, and the rest encourages/supports aggressive damage to face, which doesn't suit a 4 cost 4 equip too well. It could find a place where aggro tends to hit a wall of midrange creatures, letting you slowly trample through, one creature at a time... but I think the idea is just hard to implement. It's a lot like fling on a stick for 4 mana, except your opponent chooses the one who takes damage.

Eater of Stories 5(B/G)U
Creature - Eldrazi R
Devoid, Hexproof
Whenever ~ attacks, defending player exiles the top X cards of their library, where X is ~'s power.
Put a card in exile into its owner's graveyard: ~ gets +1/+1 until end of turn.
3/5

Takes 6 turns to end someone (0+3+6+12+24+48=93) or 5 with one initial card in exile (0+4+8+16+32=60). I think that's okay on a 7 drop with Hexproof but no evasion.

Challenge: Another tricolor big dude. Or another Eldrazi.

ben-zayb
2016-04-15, 05:36 AM
Your math seems to assume adding +1/+1 counters instead. That said, it still feels better than Szadek.

Disaster 7(W/G)R
Creature - Eldrazi (U)
Devoid
If ~ would deal combat damage, it deals that much combat damage distributed among any number of target creatures and planeswalkers instead.
9/9

Make another replacement effect, or a combat-based effect. Bonus points for both!

Beelzebub1111
2016-04-15, 09:37 AM
So it's a bigger, badder, meaner version of thorn elemental. I think that the cost is approptiate to accomidate the nastyness. I fear it. With the right buffs.

Great Uncle Istvan 3BB
Legendaty Creature - Human Horor R
If Great Uncle Istvan would be dealt combat damage, deal that much damage to each other creature and player instead
1/5

Challenge:Update another old-school legend

braveheart
2016-04-15, 12:22 PM
So a board-wide stuffy doll, that can kill you as well, at least it's only combat damage, it is right at rare, however I don't think I'd ever use it.

Ishmael 2WU
Legendary Creature - Human, Sailor - M
Protection From Whales, First Strike
When ~ enters the battlefield, put a 5/5 blue whale Creature onto the battlefield under target opponent's control.
~ can block Whale Creatures even while tapped
4/4

Another Literary Reference

Blue Ghost
2016-04-15, 03:23 PM
Haven't read Moby ****, so I can't speak to how accurate the portrayal is. From what I know, this would be better suited for Captain Ahab.
So he's here, and there's a whale. The whale prevents profitable attacks from your other ground creatures, but Ishmael can attack past it unimpeded. The whale can never attack profitably, because Ishmael can chump block it all day. Ishmael can't kill it on the block alone, but can do so with help from any other creature. The gameplay thus evokes the image of a warrior holding off a marauding monster. That's an interesting dynamic, but not really what I think of when I think of Moby ****.
Being able to block while tapped is weird and may cause rules issues. Consider giving it vigilance instead?
Also, Sailor is not a creature type.
Also also, remember to do the judging for the contest~

Sanguine Reaper 1BB
Creature - Spirit (R)
Skulk, deathtouch
Whenever Sanguine Reaper deals combat damage to a player, that player sacrifices a creature.
"And Darkness and Decay and the Red Death held illimitable dominion over all."
1/4

http://i1283.photobucket.com/albums/a560/BlueGhostITP/Black/Sanguine%20Reaper_zpsa1kghqt7.png

Next: A mono-red Angel.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2016-04-15, 11:20 PM
Oddly enough, skulk on the stealthy reaper seems kind of unnecessary. Regardless of what can block it, the idea remains the same: the reaper never finishes combat without taking home at least one soul, and that seems cool. Then again, since Skulk on a 1/4 is basically a one-syllable way of saying Unblockable, it takes a card that's already difficult to deal with and makes it seem impossibly oppressive. An inevitable demise is probably the whole point, isn't it? Your opponent won't be able to keep creatures on the board for the rest of the game, and there's nothing they can do about it but hope to draw removal. It's a limited bomb even if the metagame specifically devalues the effect with easy token generation, and otherwise it guarantees enough value to cause a turn-3 scoop in some matchups... it could easily cost 5 or 6 and feel just as powerful. In constructed, it's trickier to evaluate, but I feel like the metagame has to be be defined around it rather than the other way around - any 4-plus-cost creature without haste has to be protected somehow or this guy laughs it off the stage.

Anyway, it's still a cool card. Most of my over-thinking comes from it being so cheap to cast.

(Also, I just realized he's stealthy but wears red? Must be taking fashion tips from the ninjas in Final Fantasy.)

Soulfire Seraph 3RR
Creature - Angel U
Flying
Whenever an Angel or Spirit creature enters the battlefield under your control, that creature deals 1 damage to target opponent.
4/3

Challenge! A nonblack, nonwhite spirit that interacts with noncreature cards.

r2d2go
2016-04-16, 02:54 AM
It's a fine effect, good for an uncommon, but I don't think it's constructed playable on a 5 drop. A 3 drop 2/1 flier would enjoy the effect, maybe - then it can be used to get the last few points of damage off turn 5-6. In limited, on the other hand, this is really powerful - people will appreciate pulling this and be enraged getting slowly whittled away by it :smalltongue:

Rootreach Naturalist 2GG
Creature - Spirit U
When ~ or another Spirit enters the battlefield, destroy target artifact or enchantment unless its controller pays 3.
3/4

Challenge: Another card that allows mana payment to negate. Bonus points if it's not a counterspell.

ben-zayb
2016-04-16, 08:27 AM
It could get crazy with token generators, but this is otherwise pretty neat tribal sideboard.

Recerebration Lag 4(U/P)
Enchantment (R)
2(U/P)(U/P), Return a card from your hand on top of your library: Target player can't draw cards until end of turn. Any player may activate this ability.

Make another card that can be utilized by any player (though not necessarily concurrently), or another card related to BRAAAINS.

Beelzebub1111
2016-04-16, 08:42 AM
Pretty decent uncommon. I'd definitely sideboard it if I was playing mono-green. I'm not sure I'd draft it unless the set were enchantment or artifact heavy.

Rhysticatog 1U
Creature Atog - R
2U: Counter target instant or sorcery unless the caster pays (1). Rhysticatog gains +2/+2 until end of turn
1/2

Challenge: Atog

Jormengand
2016-04-16, 09:48 AM
So basically, "Any time you could cast an instant, you may pay 2UU. If you do, target player can't play the game". If your opponent is topdecking and you can win with what you have on the field, you can win. This is especially true if you have draw spells, because you only have to toss one card and your opponent can't draw any cards at all. This card is basically no fun.

War Mind 1R
Enchantment U
Players have Warleader 3 (They can attack and assign combat damage as though they were creatures with power 3. Multiple Warleaders stack. Players with Warleader have vigilance) during their turn.
Lead from the front or don't lead at all.

Next: Another card that allows players to get into some kind of personal combat.

Beelzebub1111
2016-04-16, 10:57 AM
Only ever useful if your opponrnt has no blockers, otherwise it will have no effect other than you taking damage. i can only think of a handful of situations where a 3/(your life total) attacker that has damage dealt to it dealt to you instead would come in useful.

Sinister Simulacrum 4UB
Artifact Creature-Construct
When Sinister Simulacrum enters the battlefield, choose a player. That player gains control of sinister simulacrum

If damage would be dealt to sinister simulacrum, it's dealt to you instead.

Sinister Simulacrum attacks each turn if able

8/8

Challenge: make an Atog or another alliterative automoton

ericgrau
2016-04-16, 11:15 AM
Seems tough to build around since it triggers late game. But if you already have a beater deck and you're afraid of your opponent working around beaters, it's a good late game way to force him to play by your rules.

Millatog 3UB
Creature — Atog (U)
Put the top 10 cards of your library into your graveyard: Millatog gets +1/+1 until end of turn.
1/2

Challenge: Recursion of any kind (typical or not).

Jormengand
2016-04-16, 11:57 AM
Only ever useful if your opponrnt has no blockers, otherwise it will have no effect other than you taking damage.

You can assign combat damage to blockers, so enemies might not want to use their 2/3 flying deathtouch to block a player trying to kill them.

Ignoring the fact that Millatog is a stupid name, the only rule on deck sizes is that they must be shufflable in a "Reasonable length of time". Also, self-mill is ususally a benefit, not a drawback (see Delve, Delirium, Flashback, effects that take place from your graveyard). Combining these two is positively silly: not only does your 5-drop win you the game if you can sneak Skulk onto it, but it also wins you the game even if you can't because your silly WUB shadowborn apostle/immortal servitude/champion of the parish/tutors deck is going to ruin everyone's day.

Void Soldier C
Creature - Human Soldier C
Otherworlder C (If this card is in exile, you can cast it for its Otherworlder cost)
1/1

(I may actually make all of the purple stuff I was planning colourless instead, using Cs instead of Ps. The flavour is very similar anyway. The side effect is that you get colourless humans and colourless-and-a-colour combinations, but whatever.)

Next: Another colourless permanent.

Beelzebub1111
2016-04-16, 01:30 PM
An interesting ability, if you can reliably get it into exile. I guess that's why it's a common.

Hunted Eldrazi 3CC
Creature - Eldrazi R
Ingest
When Hunted Eldrazi enters the battlefield target opponent puts 6 1/1 white Kor Soldier creature tokens with "Non-Basic Landwalk" onto the battlefield
8/6

Challenge: Another colorless addition to a Horizontal Cycle

Blue Ghost
2016-04-16, 02:18 PM
@Dr. Gunsforhands: No such thing as overthinking a card. I appreciate a detailed critique. :smallsmile:
You're right, my card would be better off without skulk. I guess I didn't mentally playtest it enough.

Landwalk has been phased out for good reason, since it randomly hoses players and is uninteractive. And in this situation, it's pretty much just unblockable. I think the gameplay would be better if the tokens were vanilla. It plays a similar role to the other hunted creatures, and I guess it's decent in that regard. Double-colorless and ingest are a bit questionable choices, with colorless being significantly harder to pull off than any color, and ingest not being really relevant on an 8-power creature, but I can see them working.

Scrap Titan 6
Artifact Creature - Giant (M)
Trample
Whenever Scrap Titan enters the battlefield or attacks, creatures you control gain indestructible until end of turn.
6/6

http://i1283.photobucket.com/albums/a560/BlueGhostITP/Colorless/Scrap%20Titan_zpsghlube5k.png

Next: Something that plays into the theme of progress.

r2d2go
2016-04-16, 02:56 PM
Seems like another under costed money mythic :smalltongue: the sad thing is, it's probably printable. So, uh, good job?

Progress Report 1(U/P)(B/P)
Sorcery - U
If you paid life for ~, scry 1.
If you paid U for ~, draw a card.
If you paid B for ~, target opponent discards a card.
Subject 37% Compleated.

Challenge: Another card that's got different effects based on how you cast it. Or another card that would be worse (or at least not strictly better) if it costed 1 less.

Five-Suns Compleation 5(W/P)(U/P)(B/P)(R/P)(G/P)
Choose a target creature.
If you paid U for ~, it gets -3/-0 and loses all abilities until end of turn.
If you paid W for ~, it gets +1/+3 and can block any number of creatures this turn.
If you paid R for ~, it gets +3/-3 and trample until end of turn.
If you paid B for ~, destroy it and lose life equal to it's toughness.
If you paid G for ~, draw cards equal to half its power.

(Each ability synergizes with allied colors, but is asynergetic with enemy colors! :smallbiggrin: I still need to work out W/U but it's pretty neat in concept.)

ericgrau
2016-04-16, 05:40 PM
I'm guessing P is purple mana is life? That's some nice versatility there. I'll turn it up to 11 at the risk of hate.

Minor Wish (1/P)(1/P)
Instant - R
Affinity for Artifacts.
~ is all colors.
Flashback (1/P)
If you paid life to cast ~, add 1 mana of any color to your mana pool.
If you cast ~ without paying any mana, put a 0/1 construct artifact creature token onto the battlefield.
If you cast ~ using U, scry 1.
If you cast ~ using B, destroy target non-black non-artifact creature with power 3 or less.
If you cast ~ using G, target creature gets +1/+1 and trample until end of turn.
If you cast ~ using R, deal 1 damage to target creature or player.
If you cast ~ using W, gain 2 life or prevent 2 damage to target creature.
If ~ was cast from your graveyard, put target creature from your graveyard with CMC 5 or less onto the battlefield until end of turn.
(Using more than 1 of a color of mana or more than 1 life does not give an effect multiple times)

What the indecisive wizard prepares.

Wish 10
Instant - MR
(This card does not have affinity for artifacts, because I'm not that crazy)
~ is all colors.
Flashback 10, exile 5 cards from your graveyard
If you cast ~ using U, draw 3 cards
If you cast ~ using B, exile target permanent.
If you cast ~ using G, target creature gets +4/+4, trample and reach until end of turn.
If you cast ~ using R, deal 5 damage to target creature or player.
If you cast ~ using W, gain 10 life or exile target creature until end of turn.
If you cast ~ without any colored mana, until end of turn you cannot lose the game, opponents cannot win the game and your life total cannot go below 1.
(Using more than 1 of a color of mana or more than 1 life does not give an effect multiple times)

Challenge: Create a cantrip with an effect that most decks can use, besides mana or card draw. A cantrip is a card that lets you draw a card in addition to its usually minor effect.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2016-04-16, 07:44 PM
The most interesting thing about this card is that it represents a certain archetype among cards made by people in this forum game - a card with an ability for each color of mana you can pay into it. The problem with these cards is that they almost always end up being much too long to read effectively. Even the player with the theoretical 5-color deck that uses this would still forget about half of its abilities. It would make a lot more sense if you split this up into multiple cards, featuring maybe two or three colors at a time.

Call Out Through Time 1U
Instant - C
Name a card. Choose any number of cards with that name in graveyards and/or in exile and shuffle them into their owner's libraries.
Draw a card.
Those who don't repeat history are doomed to study it.

Challenge! More temporal shenanigans... but not in blue.

ericgrau
2016-04-16, 10:08 PM
Ah so it's been overdone before. Oh well.

r2d2go
2016-04-17, 12:06 AM
Doesn't seem like something WotC would print - They've tried to keep Exile as something mostly beyond reach except via specific means. Of course, the recent Eldrazi messed with this, but it still feels off. Still, if you were to make a card like this at common, I'd expect it to look like this (or maybe 2U and you put one card into your hand).

Temporal Shenanigans 1R
Sorcery - R
You may exile any number of spells by paying their costs. At the beginning of your next turn, cast those spells without paying their costs.
Draw a card.

Hopefully, instant speed removal and counterspells in the standard this exists in (or a lack of strong combos) makes this balanced enough.

Challenge: Another card that enables combos.

ericgrau
2016-04-17, 07:36 AM
EDIT: Oh yeah the critique. It seems like a good way to spell spam past counterspells and/or pull off some kind of blitzkrieg attack. Still hard to make useful, so a couple mana for that isn't bad.

Spell Mosquito 2UUU
Instant - U
Miracle UU
Counter target spell.
If Spell Mosquito would enter your graveyard, put it on top of your library instead. At the beginning of your main phase, if Spell Mosquito is in your graveyard, put it on top of your library.

Can anyone please kill it for good?

Challenge: Make a repeatable counterspell hoser with a fair amount of difficulty to get it on the board.

Jormengand
2016-04-17, 09:00 AM
Temporal Shenanigans is... weird. I don't know exactly what it's for... surge/storm? Otherwise, I'm not certain what you would do with it.

Spell Mosquito is weird too. You have to use an instant draw spell to miracle it. I don't know if you realise that. And what it also means is that you won't be able to miracle it again when it returns to the top of your library, unless you're in a multiplayer game and you use another draw spell... this card is just too weird.

Ericgrau's rule-following game is weak. You need to critique the card before yours.

Prevention Mage {B colour indicator}
Creature - Zombie Wizard U
Madness 1B
Whenever a spell would be countered, that spell's controller may discard a card instead. If they don't, the spell is countered.
1/2

Next: Make another card which only has alt-costs.

ben-zayb
2016-04-17, 09:39 AM
It's a pretty good sideboard for madness decks, albeit one with a generic name. Personally, though, a 2/1 for 2B seems more fitting for a zombie wizard.

Soulfeaster {B colour indicator}
Enchantment Creature - Demon (U)
Trample
Bestow 3BB
Whenever ~ or enchanted creature attacks, each player sacrifices a nondemon creature.
6/6

Make another dual-type card, or another fattie that has some sacrifice-based effect.

ericgrau
2016-04-17, 10:00 AM
@^ Seems like a nasty sack engine but at 3BB plus one of your own creatures it seems fair.

@ Jormengand: It was intentionally meant as instant-draw combo fuel. I edit-fixed the unintentional regular draw issue.

Mantle of the Titans {R color indicator}
Land Enchantment - Mountain Aura
If ~ does not enchant a creature when it enters the battlefield, it comes into play tapped.
Enchanted creature gets +3/+3 and haste.
Tap: Add {R} to your mana pool. (This ability may only be used when ~ is not attached to a creature) .
The mountains were their armor, and the volcanoes their forges.

Challenge: A land that doesn't produce mana.

braveheart
2016-04-17, 10:13 AM
There is no reason that the mountain could not tap for mana, attached cards are capable of tapping and you have the tap prevention set up as reminder text, it would need to be a card ability

Burning Lake
legendary Land - R
Instant and sorcery spells you cast cost (1) less to cast

A multicolored Planeswalker

Jormengand
2016-04-17, 11:29 AM
I don't know why a burning lake is legendary, and I would have guessed it was UR in some fashion. Otherwise, it's... okay, I think.

Erika, Croshan Princess 1CWR
Planeswalker - Erika MR
Demivoid (This card is colourless but also keeps its colours), Warleader 4 (This can attack and assign combat damage as though it were a creature with power 4. Players with Warleader have vigilance. Multiple Warleaders stack.)
+2: Until end of turn, Erika, Croshan Princess has lifelink and "Whenever Erika deals damage, put that many loyalty counters on her".
-11: Each Opponent gets an emblem with “Standalone - whenever you control no creatures, you lose the game.”

Next: Another coloured-and-colourless card (ie one with C and one or more colours in its cost).

ben-zayb
2016-04-17, 11:46 PM
For someone that can attack, Erika loyalty gain feels uninteractive. Without removal or damage prevention, that's 6 loyalty counters + 4 combat damage + 4 life gain with no bells and whistles. It could also use rules clarification on summoning sickness, although it fortunately seems like it gets one based on "as though it were a creature" clause.

Ghostfire Mystic 1CR
Creature - Human Monk (U)
Ghostpurge Mystic is colorless.
CR, Exile a card from your hand, T: ~ deals 3 damage to target creature. If that creature dies this turn, exile it.
1/2

Make another monk, or another card with "ghost" in its text.

r2d2go
2016-04-18, 12:02 AM
Most planeswalkers don't have text beyond their planeswalker abilities. This in particular has a lot of text, and since Warleader isn't the most intuitive thing (and thus cutting the reminder text is questionable), I'd say the Warleader should go into one of the planeswalker abilites. But then, you run into the question of "why not just turn it into a creature". In fact, there are reasons why it shouldn't have Warleader (blocking for itself, damage confusion). All in all, I think it's about as good as you could expect from a "Planeswalker Creature", but I don't think the idea has too much potential.

Oblivion Shaper 3(W/C)
Creature - Eldrazi Processor C
1, Put a card an opponent owns from exile into their graveyard: Add C or one mana of any color to your mana pool.
3/3

Challenge: Another color-fixer, or another 3/3 for 4. Bonus points for both.

So, it spellshapes Searing Spears! Powerful, of course, but on a vulnerable body, it shouldn't be overpowered. Not much more to say.

Ghostspeaker Monk 1WW
Creature - Spirit Monk R
W, T - Reveal the top card of your library. If it's a Spirit, put a 1/1 Monk with Lifelink and Vigilance onto the battlefield. If it's a Monk, put a 1/1 Spirit with Flying onto the battlefield.
2/2

Challenge: Another card that makes guys.

Beelzebub1111
2016-04-18, 08:16 AM
A white token generator with the potiential to make two tokens with abilities. I like it, though I feel like it should cost either one more or have a second color.

Tresserhorn Recruiter RBU
Creature - Human Knight R
3T, exile a creature in a graveyard: Put a 3/1 black zombie knight creature token with haste onto the battlefield. If the exiled creature was red it has first strike. If the exiled crature was black it has"B: Regenerate". If the exiled creature was blue it has hexproof
2/2

challenge: Based on your favorite mtg lore.

r2d2go
2016-04-20, 10:45 AM
It's interesting, but I think it's too much of "answer me or lose" for 3 mana. The abundance of ways to fill a graveyard means "exile a card from your graveyard" is probably better than "discard a card", and the guys it makes are easily worth 3, possibly 4 mana. Basically, if your opponent doesn't immediately kill this recruiter, you're getting at least a 2 for 1 with minimal or no tempo loss. Taking out haste (or first strike) would probably help.

Firemind 1UR
Legendary Enchantment - MR
1UURR - Attach ~ to target creature. It becomes an aura with Enchant Creature until it becomes unattached.
Enchanted creature is legendary and has "T - Draw two cards."
(U/R), discard a card - tap or untap target creature. Deal 1 damage to it.

Challenge: Another card that lets you draw a lot of cards. Or another card that lets you ping.

Blue Ghost
2016-04-20, 12:59 PM
That's an awfully complicated card, with a ton of pieces that don't seem to have anything to do with each other.
An enchantment that you can pay a cost to turn into an Aura until it's unattached? Isn't that basically an equipment?
It looks like making the enchanted creature legendary is a flavor conceit that doesn't contribute much in terms of functionality. But the gameplay it creates doesn't really match the flavor. Why should all other creatures of the same type cease to exist if one becomes the Firemind?
The last ability is fine in itself, but doesn't match the rest of the card at all.
A good card should tell a cohesive story, and that goes especially for an important flavor card. If the pieces don't match up, the flavor doesn't come through.

Rakdos's Familiar R
Creature - Devil (R)
At the beginning of your upkeep, Rakdos's Familiar deals 1 damage to each player.
2/1

Next: An Ally.

Jormengand
2016-04-20, 01:10 PM
It's a rare. It's one of those kinda I-see-why-it's-a-rare-but-really rares like Champion of the Parish (weirdly, Hada Freeblade is only uncommon, but I digress). It could probably be an uncommon. But it's still a 2/1 for 1, so I dunno. It's an obvious beatdown card. I mean, it's fine.

Winged Insurgent 3UU
Creature - Bird Ally U
Rally - Whenever Winged Insurgent or another ally enters the battlefield under your control, creatures you control get flying until end of turn.
2/2

Next: Another card with conditional flying.

r2d2go
2016-04-20, 03:24 PM
(pre-post-edit): Okay, after writing this I realize it's quite belligerent, mostly because I spent quite some effort on balancing and matching flavor for the card. I thought through each ability as an important flavor decision, basically, so that it all made sense in my head. This probably was what made the critique rather aggravating, but I realize now it doesn't necessarily connect for someone else without any sort of outside indication. Still, I think the complexity without mechanic necessity has some flavor necessity, and since the challenge was flavor-based, I stand by my card as-is. A simplified version might be a straight aura.

The response in full is below.

An enchantment that you can pay a cost to turn into an Aura until it's unattached? Isn't that basically an equipment?

Yes, but it's an enchantment because the Firemind doesn't seem like an equipment. It's Niv Mizzet's near-omniscience, not a machine.

It looks like making the enchanted creature legendary is a flavor conceit that doesn't contribute much in terms of functionality. But the gameplay it creates doesn't really match the flavor. Why should all other creatures of the same type cease to exist if one becomes the Firemind?

I believe it doesn't. It's intended as more or less purely flavor (though if your opponent has a Firemind they can't cause two identical creatures to be the Firemind at the same time).

If a player controls two or more legendary permanents with the same name, that player chooses one of them, and the rest are put into their owners’ graveyards.

(I believe they both have to be legendary)

The last ability is fine in itself, but doesn't match the rest of the card at all.

It untaps the Firemind. I had flavor text before ("Only the worthy can survive the Firemind") to represent this, but decided it wouldn't fit the box.

A good card should tell a cohesive story, and that goes especially for an important flavor card. If the pieces don't match up, the flavor doesn't come through.

I quite thought it did - an intelligence capable of sharing vast stores of knowledge, taking a large investment to connect, with great power and great difficulty to control.

The Firemind is an extrasensory link to Niv-Mizzet’s omniscience. To possess it is to be immersed in passionate brilliance. Not all Izzet are in tune with the Firemind though; the honor must be earned by passing a test or by accomplishing an extraordinary achievement.

I did do some research.

The biggest complaint I have is that it's all creatures instead of all allies (like most allies do). It's expensive but strong for finishing off enemies, and fits in most aggressive white decks because of its universal buff. Pretty good.

Whirling Tinker 1UR
Creature - Human Wizard U
U - ~ gets -1/+1 and Flying until end of turn.
R - ~ gets +1/-1 and First Strike until end of turn.
2/2

Challenge: Another flexible fighter.

Blue Ghost
2016-04-20, 04:16 PM
Yeah, each piece does connect to some part of the flavor. But the important thing in a top-down design is not perfect representation of the flavor concept, but resonance. By putting in too many disparate pieces, you sacrifice resonance for technical accuracy, as well as taking a hit in mechanical execution. The best flavor pieces, IMO, are the ones that capture the basic essence of the flavor concept in a mechanically elegant way.

I quite like Whirling Tinker. Tying the common motif of granting extra abilities to the red/blue P/T shifting ability is quite clever, and makes for a design that's elegant yet strategically deep.

Shadowshifter BB
Creature - Shade (U)
Skulk
B: Shadowshifter gets +1/+1 until end of turn.
1/1

Next: Something that uses an existing keyword mechanic in a new way, or a fix to an existing keyword mechanic.

Jormengand
2016-04-20, 05:53 PM
The biggest complaint I have is that it's all creatures instead of all allies (like most allies do).

Most allies affect all creatures. See Chasm Guide, Firemantle Mage, Hero of Goma Fada, Kor Bladewhirl, Lantern Scout, Makindi Patrol, Ondu Champion, Resolute Blademaster, Tajuru Beastmaster, Tajuru Warcaller.

Lightning Striker 2R
Creature - Human Shaman U
Persist
When Lightning Striker enters the battlefield, it deals 2 damage to target creature or player.
2/1

Next: Another card which uses -1/-1 counters.

r2d2go
2016-04-20, 06:13 PM
Most allies affect all creatures. See Chasm Guide, Firemantle Mage, Hero of Goma Fada, Kor Bladewhirl, Lantern Scout, Makindi Patrol, Ondu Champion, Resolute Blademaster, Tajuru Beastmaster, Tajuru Warcaller.
I realize now that new Allies do all creatures, while old Allies do allies you control. I haven't actually played new allies, while I have played old allies, my bad :smalltongue:

On the other hand, you seem to have forgotten Ghost's critique, so I'll cover that:

The shade seems quite above current shades - Other evasive shades tend to require 4 mana (with the exception being the snow-mana shade costing 3). This, at 2 mana, is probably too powerful - you often get a large chunk of unblockable damage, while most <2 power minions will easily get eaten for free with only a slight pump.

Lightning Striker seems a little too powerful - 2/1+shock is probably fair at 3, but this gives you another shock when it dies. Also, it's basically the same as "when ~ enters or leaves the battlefield". One solution to both problems might be making it a 4 mana 2/2 or 3/2.

Blighted Ghoul 3B
Creature - Zombie C
Persist
Wither
3/2

Edit: Was 2BB until I remembered Rendclaw Trow (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Discussion.aspx?multiverseid=158902).

Challenge: Another common, or another card with two keywords. Bonus points for both.

ben-zayb
2016-04-20, 07:46 PM
It's a nice 4-drop version of Trow. Sure it's pure B, but a 2/1 Wither hurts more for non-chump blocks.

I just realized menace could be interesting on a ninja deck, thus:

Boryokudan Bully 3B
Creature - Rat Rogue
Skulk, Menace
2/1

Make another rogue, or another card with 3 + <color> mana cost.

Beelzebub1111
2016-04-21, 07:26 AM
Can only be blocked by two creatures with a power of 2 or less. Seems a bit expensive for something that could easily be killed, but it's balanced for a common

Kjeldoran Watchdog 3W
Creature - Hound C
Banding, Vigilance
Untap all creatures that attacked in a band with ~ at the end of combat
1/4

Challenge: Useful Banding

Jormengand
2016-04-21, 09:12 AM
A specific type of Banding is the only mechanic that is higher than storm on the storm scale (https://36.media.tumblr.com/772b05781ef96eab54c8c8432d214f1e/tumblr_mfv0hihCu01qa5nk6o1_500.png), handily punching out an Urza walker, card effects that put cards in other people's hands, and Gotcha!. Banding itself is less likely to appear than purple or fractions. It's not coming back.

The card itself is fine, I suppose. If banding were coming back, this is the kind of way it would come back.

Airborne Carrier 2UU
Creature - Bird U
Banding, Flying
Creatures in a band with Airborne Carrier can't be blocked except by creatures with flying or reach.
2/2

Next: Another creature with an ability that benefits from other creatures having the same kind of ability, but not the same one (the way that Airborne Carrier benefits from Kjeldoran Watchdogs more than it does from other Airborne Carriers, or Heroes of Goma Fada benefit more from Makindi Patrols than from other Heroes of Goma Fada).

r2d2go
2016-04-21, 11:11 AM
It seems balanced enough - a bit like a big Wingcrafter, I guess. If Banding ever came back in force, it'd be much stronger, but it's hard to make this into a fast finisher, which balances that out.

Unseen Benefactor (W/U)(W/B)
Creature - Human Ally U
Skulk
Whenever ~ attacks, other allies you control get +1/+1 until end of turn.
Oh, I'm quite present in our little movement. But I'm glad to hear you haven't noticed.
0/1

Challenge: Another stealthy white card. Or, for bonus points, another card that fulfills Jorm's challenge without granting keywords in a different way.

Blue Ghost
2016-04-21, 01:00 PM
Nice flavor, clever design. I don't think that's a proper use of hybrid mana though. Skulk is not a white mechanic.

Tyrax, Flame of Glory 4RW
Legendary Creature - Dragon (M)
Flying, exalted
Whenever Tyrax, Flame of Glory attacks, you may tap any number of untapped creatures you control. Tyra, Flame of Glory deals damage to defending player equal to the number of creatures tapped this way.
4/4

Next: A card with the same art as an existing card. Bonus points if it doesn't share a color with the original.

ben-zayb
2016-04-21, 10:50 PM
I like that you don't have to put it in an Exalted-heavy deck to work,, although I'm not sure it's mythic level.

Ana (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=25856)kin, Force Apprentice 2WU
Legendary Creature - Human Wizard (R)
WU,T: Tap target creature, then tap or untap another target creature.
2/2

Make another card with "force" in its name, or another non-mythic legendary.

r2d2go
2016-04-22, 02:32 AM
It's pretty close to strictly better than WU - Tap target creature. That's quite strong, maybe too strong for a 4 drop. I'd prefer if it were 1WU but couldn't untap itself, honestly.

Zixle, Izzet Forcemage 3UR
Creature - Weird Wizard R
Whenever you cast an instant or sorcery, ~ gets +1/-1 until end of turn. Untap it.
UR, discard a card, T - Deal damage equal to ~'s power to target creature or player.
2/6

Challenge: Another spellshaper-type card without spellshaping an existing card. Or, another weird card.

Beelzebub1111
2016-04-22, 02:51 PM
I think this card is likely to have you loose your hand fast. Still, I could see a commander deck built around it. Another possibility is a cheap aura to boost power depending on the set. Madcap skills comes to mind as an easy one.

Kzzak, Knight of Ebb and Flow 3RU
Legendary Creature - Weird Knight R
Kzzak's power is equal to 10 minus the number of cards in your hand
Kzzak's toughness is equal to the number of cards in your hand
RU, Discard a card: Kzzak gains either flying or first strike until the end of turn
*/*

Challenge: A creature that is worse to block than it is to not block. (i.e. Vedalken Ghoul)

braveheart
2016-04-22, 03:01 PM
Interesting, it makes you keep cards in hand to keep it alive, however you really want to hit when you have only one card in hand

Vindictive Shaman 2BB
Creature - Shaman - R
Deathtouch
whenever ~ becomes blocked, the defending player must sacrifice the creature they control with the highest power (in the event of a tie, the defending player chooses which one to sacrifice).
2/4

Another thing that kills things

Ninjaman
2016-04-22, 05:53 PM
Why does it have deathtouch and an effect that punishes the opponent for blocking? It seems kind of like a weird way to write can't be blocked. Also the wording is off, look at Crackling Doom.

Slay the Weak - BB
Instant - U
Destroy target creature with power 4 or less.

Another cmc 2 instant.

braveheart
2016-04-22, 08:53 PM
It feels white actually, but I can see where you'd think to put it that way

Swell of strength. GR
Instant - U
Target green creature gains +3/+1 until the end of turn. If a creature damaged by that creature dies this turn, place a +1/+1 counter on it

A green aura

r2d2go
2016-04-23, 04:02 AM
Well, it's Titan's Strength + eating things. That's honestly pretty bad - Giant Growth is usually best as a 2 for 1, where your guy survives what would be a fatal fight, and kills an enemy who wouldn't have died. This sacrifices a large amount of the survivability and usability for, what, a couple +1/+1 counters, maybe? Could have been +3/+3, or +4/+2.

Also, if I remember correctly, getting counters from killing things is more of a vampire thing. You could probably flavor this as a red-vampire spell, but then, with the lopsided power buff, why not simply make this mono-red?

Legacy of Might 1GG
Legendary Enchantment - Aura R
Enchanted creature gets +3/+1 and Trample.
When ~ is put into a graveyard from the battlefield, return it to your hand.

Legacy of Fire 1RR
Enchantment - Aura R
Enchanted creature gets +1/+1 And "R - This creature gets +1/+0 until end of turn."
When ~ is put into a graveyard from the battlefield, return it to your hand.

Challenge: Another legendary enchantment. Bonus points if it's another card from this cycle, with a more interesting effect.

Beelzebub1111
2016-04-23, 08:40 AM
It's okay. Basically a slightly stronger, but more costly and legendary version of rancor. I can't think of a deck that would use it, or anything that would nesecitate it being legendary, but I'll bite (with an improved twist to the cycle)

Legacy of Honor 1WW
Legendary Enchantment - Legacy Aura R
Enchant Creature you control
Enchanted creature has bushido X where X is equal to the number of Legacy counters on ~ +1
When the enchanted creature dies, attatch ~ to another creature you control and put a legacy counter on ~.

Challenge: Experiment with subtypes.

Jormengand
2016-04-23, 08:58 AM
The problem I see with Legacies is that they're really annoying to get rid of, and if you try they just get stronger. Also, bushido is an odd mechanic to use with them, but I guess it's just about fine.

Ivahn, Supreme Inventor 4CUR
Legendary Creature - Human Rigger Dreamer MR
Demivoid (This permanent is colourless and each of its colours)
Ivahn, Supreme Inventor can’t be countered.
At the start of your upkeep, each rigger you control Assembles a Contraption (Put a colourless contraption artifact token onto the battlefield attached to it.).
Inventor - Contraptions you control have Indestructible, “Armed creature has Indestructible” and “T: This contraption deals 1 damage to target creature or player.”
4/5

I actually don't like Demivoid, but it's the only way to make my colourless-and-a-colour things actually work. They were all originally going to be purple, which wouldn't need Demivoid to work. Hmm.

Next: Another rigger.

Blue Ghost
2016-04-23, 01:42 PM
Demivoid makes no sense. Colorless means has no color. A card cannot be colored and colorless at the same time. And I don't really see why it's necessary. Why is it so vital that the creatures count as both colored and colorless?
I'm not a big fan of combining colorless symbols with colored symbols in general. Colorless is its own thing, distinct from the colors, and treating it as just another color feels off. I'd need to see a good reason for the combination before I accept it.
There's too much text. Getting rid of demivoid and the "can't be countered" clause would bring it down to a reasonable amount.
This is a pretty interesting solution to contraptions. It makes sense of creatures assembling contraptions, and it's pretty thematic. I don't know if it's the best solution, but it's worth exploring. But if you're doing contraptions, I'd recommend making them their own thing and not part of your purple/colorless block, because that's crowded enough as it is.
The inventor ability word is unnecessary. Riggers should do stuff with their contraptions by default.
I don't like tapping things that are attached to other things. If contraptions are going to be things that go on creatures, I think they should act like equipments and grant things to their assemblers rather than doing things themselves.

Manic Roboticist 2U
Creature - Human Rigger (U)
At the beginning of your upkeep, Manic Roboticist assembles a contraption. (Put a colorless Contraption artifact token onto the battlefield attached to it.)
When Manic Roboticist dies, put an X/X colorless Construct artifact token onto the battlefield, where X is the number of contraptions Manic Roboticist assembled.
2/3

Next: An enemy-colored dragon.

r2d2go
2016-04-23, 02:33 PM
It's very strong in limited, mostly. As long as you're not forced to use it to chump to survive when it drops, it's value. In fact, it may be too much value - this humble three drop can become the biggest threat on the board for no cost, while still being reasonable in baseline stats. I'd be a lot more comfortable with it either having a small cost (U, maybe) to Assemble, or being Rare as to have a lower impact on Limited.

Mizzet-Spawn 1UR
Creature - Weird Dragon U
Whenever you cast an instant or sorcery, ~ gets +1/-1 and Flying until end of turn.
Whenever ~ deals damage to a player, draw a card.
While some protested, nobody was surprised when Niv-Mizzet declared the weird as his spawn.
0/5

Challenge: Another creature in the image of an existing legendary creature. Or, another card that makes things functionally cantrip.

Beelzebub1111
2016-04-23, 03:49 PM
It's a neat little guy. I like the idea. I'm pretty sure that it wouldn't see a lot of play, but it's an interesting idea.

Riot Spawn 3RB
Creature - Demon U
Riot Spawn costs 1 less for each damage that was dealt this turn
Flying, Trample
4/4

Challenge: Something that affects the card you play after it.

Atomburster
2016-04-24, 12:26 AM
Well, the cost seems a bit low for it's effects (5 with a -1 for damage), eventhough it requires 2 colors. Maybe increase the color weight, or increase the cost?

Manawarp URG
Instant - Rare

Add the mana cost of target spell an opponent played to your mana pool.

The next spell you play has Flash and Uncounterable.

Draw a card.

Challenge: Cantrip, cantrip!

r2d2go
2016-04-24, 03:19 AM
As someone who really likes those colors, especially in control... I really want this spell to be printable, but I don't think it is. Once you fix the words (mostly "controls" instead of "played"), you get a card that might be more powerful than Mana Drain. It uses your opponent's bomb to fuel your bigger, uncounterable bomb and you draw a card in case your opponent isn't playing a deck that uses that sort of spell. I'd love to play this, but hate to play against it.

Trainee's Tricks 3U
Instant - U
Rebound (If you cast this spell from your hand, exile it as it resolves. At the beginning of your next upkeep, you may cast this card from exile without paying its mana cost.)
Target creature gets -1/-0 until end of turn.
Draw a card.

Challenge: Another very minor spell (in flavor) that's got CMC >3. Or, another trick.

[email protected]: You almost got it right - "Add the mana cost of target spell an opponent controls to your mana pool" means you add the mana cost of a spell on the stack to your mana pool (though you generally want to make this CMC, because hybrid, phyrexian, etc gets confusing).

The main issue is that this has crazy potential anyway - Even if you're targeting just a 4 CMC utility spell, you're 1 mana up and get to flash in an uncounterable win-con (so no Force of Will or Daze). While that might not be good enough for Legacy (where if you're not countering/otherwise dealing with their 4 CMC spell you've probably lost), it'd certainly win Commander games and be great value in most Standard and Modern environments. Getting rid of the cantrip, the uncounterable, or making it cost more might balance it, though - Plasm Capture does much the same thing, and isn't considered overpowered.

Atomburster
2016-04-24, 03:54 AM
The intention was actually to target a spell that was on the stack but it looks like I edited that out somehow.

No idea how to word it, regardless.

Beelzebub1111
2016-04-24, 08:56 AM
Card draw and rebound is the only think that make it close to worthwhile. The -1/-0 won't help much for four mana. Serve is -6/-0 for two mana and has protect attatched to it. Bumping it up would help its usefulness a lot and still keep its required rarity low.

Necromancer's Trick 3B
Instant U
Rebound
Return target creature from a graveyard to the battlefield. At the end of turn, sacrifice it.

Challenge: Something that could help your opponent, but at a cost or risk.

ben-zayb
2016-04-24, 11:10 AM
So it's basically a 4-drop 2 round reanimation shared by up to 2 creatures. Looks pretty niche especially without any haste, but it's too complex for common and probably too cheap even if costed at 1BB.

Speedforce Rift (2/R)(2/R)(2/R)
Enchantment (R)
Creatures with haste have first strike and can't be blocked by creatures without haste.
(2/R)(2/R): Target creature you control gets +3/-2 and gains haste until end of turn. Any player may activate this ability.

Make another card related to rifts or another low-cost rare

r2d2go
2016-04-24, 01:43 PM
Well, this is pretty strong, but I think a ton of things are unnecessary. The first strike just means that existing first/doublestrikers with haste get boned, since haste is basically Shadow now. This seems mostly like a finisher to make your dudes unblockable (or, almost unblockable, since it's unlikely the defending player has hasted dudes or 8 mana), that then gets to follow up with a power turn of say, Keldon Marauders (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=234709) at 6/1 haste. Taking out the +3/-2 (or toning it down), and cutting out First Strike would go a long way to making this more printable.

Also, that card has CMC 6 :smalltongue: so...

Rift Rager 2RRR
Creature - Elemental R
Suspend 5 - R
Trample, Haste
Whenever a creature you control dies in combat, if ~ is suspended, remove a time counter from it.
At the end of your turn, sacrifice ~.
6/1

(edit: Added "in combat", not sure if that works)

Challenge: Another Ball Lightning variant. Or, another card that has an alternate payment method. Bonus points for both.

Beelzebub1111
2016-04-24, 07:48 PM
Potentially faster ball lightning. I like it, It's also not terribly bad as a turn 5 drop.

Darkflame Sphere BBB
Creature - Elemental R
Flash, Deathtouch
~ may block any number of creatures
At the end of turn, sacrifice ~
6/1

Challenge: Rabbit

ben-zayb
2016-04-25, 02:07 AM
So by default, it's a BBB Holy Day (Darkness!) + deathtouch to six attacking creatures. That's very powerful, especially given the cost is most usually for single removal. Not to mention, blocking multiple creatures is a W ability and Flash is a U/G keyword. While Flash can be used sparingly for combat tricks, that design space is mostly W/R territory, too. I can see a 2/1 version that can block just an additional creature being printable

Tangleheart Bunny (2/G)(2/G)X
Artifact Creature - Rabbit (U)
~ enters the battlefield with X +1/+1 counters on it.
Outlast (2/G)
Remove a +1/+1 counter from ~: Add one mana of any color to your mana pool.
2/2

Make another non-Tarkir usage of a Tarkir block ability that isn't Prowess, or another artifact. Bonus for both!

Blue Ghost
2016-04-25, 12:25 PM
This does not look like a rabbit at all. It's a huge threat worthy of a hydra. And definitely at least rare, if not mythic.
A hydra that acts as mana storage is quite an interesting idea. I like alternate mana generation methods, as they add a new dimension of resource management to the game. And I like the new context you've given outlast as a way to charge the batteries of artifact creatures. The mechanic's name doesn't quite fit, but the gameplay works great.
I guess the twobrid mana is there to justify the artifact-ness. I guess it's fine, though I feel it doesn't really add all that much to gameplay in this case.
All in all, I like this.

Also, remember to judge the contest~

Syndicate Enforcer 1WB
Creature - Human Knight (U)
Exploit
When Syndicate Enforcer exploits a creature, each opponent loses 3 life and you gain 3 life.
3/3

Next: Make a common to help the red/black deck against blue/white flyers in draft.

Fortuna
2016-04-25, 02:20 PM
Nice; that's a very appropriate use of Exploit, and I can absolutely see it as an Orzhov mechanic. This will play nicely with White's half of Selesnya token generation in limited, and maybe with some Golgari graveyard tricks as well. Unlikely to hit constructed because of the card disadvantage, but it's a good limited card.

Icarus Bolt 1R
Instant - C
Icarus Bolt deals 2 damage to target creature. If that creature has flying, Icarus Bolt deals 1 damage to that creature.

Challenge: Make a Ravnican card with a brand-new keyword for an existing guild!

r2d2go
2016-04-25, 04:50 PM
Strictly worse Searing Spear is strictly worse Searing Spear :smalltongue: This needs a reason to exist - an extra damage to fliers, at least. This could easily be 1 mana though.

Golgari Rebuilder 1BG
Creature - Human Shaman C
Mulch 1 (When ~ enters the battlefield, you may exile a card from your graveyard. If you do, put a +1/+1 counter on ~.)
"Their bones do the dead no good. They would want us to rebuild with them."
2/3

Izzet Reconstructor 1UR
Creature - Himan Wizard C
Flux - Put a 0/1 weird onto the battlefield. (Flux whenever you cast an instant or sorcery.)
"We can't afford to keep the weirds in a broken lab they could be rebuilding."
2/3

Challenge: Another common, or another old mechanic, made new. Bonus points for both.

Blue Ghost
2016-04-25, 05:37 PM
Strictly worse Searing Spear is strictly worse Searing Spear :smalltongue: This needs a reason to exist - an extra damage to fliers, at least. This could easily be 1 mana though.

The power of common removal ebbs and flows according to the needs of the limited format. Being strictly worse than Searing Spear is still pretty darn good in limited, and I can easily envision a limited environment where it's the right power level (see Reality Hemorrhage in Oath of the Gatewatch).
I think Icarus Bolt is great. It's a decently powerful maindeckable removal spell, but not premium as removal tends to be, so the decks that need it to shore up the specific weakness can get it reliably. Just need to change the wording to "deals 3 damage instead" to avoid confusion.

Mulch is an interesting mechanic. I'm all for using the graveyard as a resource, but perhaps getting +1/+1 at the cost of a single card in the graveyard is a bit too much. Golgari Rebuilder is easily a 3/4 for 3 with minimal setup cost. If it were 2/2, it would be more balanced, but the range of cards with mulch that are good but not overpowered seems extremely narrow. I like the idea, but I have no idea if it can be balanced.
Also, they only have a few slots for multicolor cards at common even in dedicated multicolor sets, because multicolor cards are much harder to cast than monocolor ones, and having too many of them at common does weird things to draft. Khans of Tarkir had only a single multicolor cycle at common, and those had morph. RTR had more, but the great majority of commons were still monocolor. I wouldn't spend a multicolor slot on a vanilla with the guild mechanic; we can easily have those in monocolor.

Setessan Lieutenant 2W
Creature - Human Soldier (C)
Vigilance
Legacy 4W (4W: Return this card from your graveyard to the battlefield as an Aura enchantment with enchant creature attached to target creature. Exile it when it leaves the battlefield.)
Enchanted creature gets +2/+2 and has vigilance.
2/2

Next: A card that supports a tribe in a thematic way. (See the Shadows Over Innistrad tribal cards for some examples.)

Beelzebub1111
2016-04-25, 08:23 PM
So...a reverse bestow? I like it, but how about "When this creature dies you may pay (Cost) if you do it becomes an enchantment attached to target creature" You could get away with the ability costing less if it's a conditional thing like that you have one chance for. it might also let you keep a creature on the board if your opponent knows you have the mana to spend for it. Creates an interesting dynamic if you ask me.

Shin'hare Milkeye Scout 1B
Creature - Rabbit Ninja U
Deathtouch
When ~ deals combat damage to an opponent, scry 1 then reveal the top card of your deck. If it shares a creature type with ~ put a 0/1 black rabbit ninja creature token onto the battlefield.
1/1

(Yes, I've been playing a lot of Hex recently. So sue me, it's a fun ripoff.)

Challenge: New Keyword for Rakdos.

Fortuna
2016-04-26, 02:36 AM
So I think the real action here is the scry - making 0/1 tokens just ain't exciting unless the tribe does other things with them. It's an interesting tension between attacking and blocking, since deathtouch usually skews towards being a good blocker.

Frenzied Flagellant 2B
Creature - Human Berserker C
At the beginning of your upkeep, you may torment Frenzied Flagellant. (A tormented creature gets -1/-1 until end of turn.)
Whenever a creature you control is tormented, Frenzied Flagellant gets +2/+0 until end of turn.
2/2

Challenge: Make a new mechanic for one of the Khans clans, and showcase it on a rare.

BasketOfPuppies
2016-04-26, 05:57 AM
On its own, it's your choice of a 2/2 or a 3/1 for 3. I like the modal nature of it, and I think that the ability has a lot of potential, but this card on its own seems lackluster. You may want to make it "whenever a creature is tormented".

Talar, Jeskai Loremaster 2W
Legendary Creature- Human Monk R
Prowess
Whenever you cast an instant or sorcery spell, you may pay (U/R)(U/R). If you do, it gains Rebound.
1/4

Make something that counters.

Beelzebub1111
2016-04-26, 07:58 AM
I see a potential burn commander, but not much else.

Vennen Spellgorger 2UB
Creature Spider Wizard R
Flash
When you cast ~, counter target spell.
~'s power and toughness is equal to the countered spell's converted mana cost
*/*

Challenge: Command Zone ability.

Blue Ghost
2016-04-26, 12:45 PM
It's a Draining Whelk that's 1 P/T less and doesn't have flying. Still very powerful; I'd probably cost it at 5.
Ability triggering on cast is interesting; you can't abuse it with recurrence engines, but it's also an uncounterable counterspell. Whether that matters or not depends on the format, but it's certainly unconventional, and I'd stick to the traditional ETB trigger unless there's a development reason for the on-cast trigger.
Keeping track of its size is a memory issue. I'd recommend using +1/+1 counters to track.

Kerea of Summer's Song 2G
Legendary Creature - Dryad (M)
When Kerea of Summer's Song enters the battlefield, untap up to two target lands.
Whenever a land is tapped for mana, its controller adds one mana of any color that land produced to his or her mana pool.
When Kerea of Summer's Song enters your command zone from the battlefield, transform it.
2/3
///
Boreas of Winter's Dirge 2U
Legendary Creature - Dryad
When Boreas of Winter's Dirge enters the battlefield, tap up to two target lands.
Whenever a permanent becomes tapped, it doesn't untap during its controller's next untap step.
3/4

Intention for how it works:
Kerea/Boreas is the "face" commander for a commander supplement deck. Her color identity is green/blue.
She always starts on the front face, as with any double-faced card. When she enters the command zone, usually by leaving the battlefield while your commander, she transforms to her back face. Then you can cast her from the back face, and she is put on the stack and then the battlefield on her back face. Then when she leaves the battlefield again, she is put back on her front face as by default for transform rules. Both faces share a commander tax, so barring shenanigans, she will cost 4U to cast from the back face the first time. Might need to tweak the wording to make it work that way, but that's how I intend for it to work.

Next: Make another commander for a different deck in the cycle. Should use the same transformation method.

r2d2go
2016-04-26, 01:08 PM
Edit: Ninja'd, one sec.

Somethings very similar already exists in Draining Whelk (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=111057), so I'd say this should use +1/+1 counters for memory reasons. Otherwise... Not sure why it's black, but it should be reasonably strong. Vanilla dudes aren't insane, especially in U/B, so shouldn't be overpowered either. Good enough :smalltongue:

Melek, Unstable Reconstructor 2UURR
Legendary Creature - Weird Wizard R
Haste
UR - Put Melek from the graveyard or command zone onto the battlefield. Sacrifice him at the end of turn.
Sacrifice Melek - Copy target instant or sorcery. You may choose new targets for the copy.
2/4

You'd have to write new rules to make this work -

While a double-faced card is not on the battlefield, consider only the characteristics of its front face... A double-faced card enters the battlefield with the front face up unless it is stated that the card enters the battlefield transformed.

Not sure how to do that - maybe call the cumulative 2 increase a "death counter" and have it ETB transformed if you have odd counters. I'll think about it.

As for the card itself - It's probably too strong. The synergies it provides aren't crazy, but the raw power of doubling your mana, is insanely powerful. The second face feels just like a downside and excuse to use counterspells - I'd probably run a lot of green devour in this deck for the sake of sacrificing this commander. The front needs toning down and the back needs more, basically. It's also overpowered for non-commander, where the back side is a non factor.

Melek, Stabilized Researcher 2UU
Legendary Creature - Weird Wizard R
1RR - Put ~ onto the battlefield from your hand or command zone transformed.
T, UU - Draw two cards.
You may only cast ~ if it entered the command zone this turn.
2/4

Melek, Unstable Constructor
Sacrifice ~: Copy target instant or sorcery. You may choose new targets for the copy.
4/2

Challenge: Another repurposed legendary creature.

Beelzebub1111
2016-04-26, 04:24 PM
It's interesting. I do like it, card draw and copying is perfect for red and blue.

Lim-Dûl, Dimir Skullscribe 5BU
Legendary Creature - Human Wizard R
Whenever a zombie or skeleton enters the battlefield under your control you may bay BU to exile an instant or sorcery with a converted mana cost of two or less from your hand encoded to that creature. It gains "Whenever this creature deals combat damage to a player, cast a copy of the endoced spell"
4/4

Challenge: Take a legend from one plane, and put him on another.

ben-zayb
2016-04-26, 08:19 PM
That's pretty good way to do Cipher, I could even see this printed for a guild leader. I'm just not sure if Lim Dul's lichness fits right in with Cipher's flavor, or even Dimir's subtlety, at all.

Capashen, True Father 7(W/P)(B/P)
Legendary Artifact Creature - Avatar (M)
Sources you control have infect and lifelink.
Whenever ~ attacks, tap each creature with a -1/-1 counter on it.
Don't mourn for me. It's my destiny.
7/7

Flavor is that Gerrard's soul was again separated from Karn after the latter got liberated, he took all the corruption with him, and he was the one actually referred to as the new father of the machines all along..

Make another dual type version of a single type card, or another card with alternative costs.

r2d2go
2016-04-30, 01:30 AM
Well, it's a big 7/7 for 7. The effects are relevant if not huge. The only downside is it doesn't feel like a huge impact - switching to infect is usually bad while existing infect creatures only gain Lifelink. The tapping might give you the winning swing (especially with contagion engine) but that makes the Lifelink a little more underwhelming. It's okay.

Mizzium Surge XUR
Instant - MR
You may exile any number of spells you control while casting ~. For each spell exiled this way, ~ costs 2 less.
Deal X damage to target creature. It's controller draws X cards.
Overload XXUURR

Challenge: Another draw spell that could be used to mill out an enemy. Or, another overload of power.

Beelzebub1111
2016-04-30, 07:46 AM
Interesting, but hard to use the overload effectively unless your opponent is playing tokens. It's hard to get that much mana in a non-commander game, and having your opponent draw that many cards in commander will screw you over and it's harder to mill them out.

Symphony of Knowledge XXRUB
Sorcery Rare
Each player exiles cards from the top of their library until they exile X non-land cards. Put any lands and creatures exiled this way into their owner's graveyards and the rest into their owner's hands.

Challenge: Return to Arabian Nights

ericgrau
2016-04-30, 03:33 PM
A bit expensive way to help out a non-creature deck. Without creatures or with low creatures it's hard to build a deck that will ramp out the 7-9 mana to make this worth casting. And even then your opponent might get a card or two. I think even making it cost XRUB might be playable.

Nomad (R)
Creature - Human Nomad (C)
Tap: Regenerate target camel, goat or sheep.
0/1

Pick any creature type you think is weak or under-appreciated (for example with no cards rated 4+ stars on Gatherer). Make a card that makes them powerful. Bonus points for flavor or lols.

braveheart
2016-05-01, 04:06 AM
Why is he red? He looks like he should be white, but you have the cost as red.

Bug Herder 1BG
Creature - Human - R
As long as you control an insect ~ has Flying
Insects you control have flying
Whenever a creature dies put a 1/1 Black and Green insect creature token onto the battlefield under your control
2/3

(I know there is at least 1 good insect for EDH in giant adaphage but otherwise it has never really shined)

Make another card for insect tribal

Beelzebub1111
2016-05-01, 06:36 AM
Being able to make its own bugs when bugs give it an ability seems like it shouldn't be. It should probably just have one or the other.

Nantuko Swarmshadow 2GG
Creature - Insect Ninja U
Ninjitsu GG
When ~ deals damage to a player, prevent that damage and put that many 1/1 green insect tokens onto the battlefield under your control
4/1

Challenge: Another race type with an unusual class type.

ben-zayb
2016-05-01, 06:57 AM
Ninja/ninjutsu by design space is strictly U/B, so this should work better as a B/G insect. And this example of massive token generation to from green (and white, and to a lesser extent, red) shows a good reason why: crapton of unblocked creatures.

Undercity Necropolitan B
Creature - Zombie Citizen C
Wither
1/1

Make another citizen!

somethingrandom
2016-05-01, 07:11 AM
Bug Herder 1BG
Creature - Human - R
As long as you control an insect ~ has Flying
Insects you control have flying
Whenever a creature dies put a 1/1 Black and Green insect creature token onto the battlefield under your control
2/3

It shoud probably read either "Whenever a non-tocken creature dies" or "Whenever a non-insect creature dies" because as written when the tocken it generates die they will immediatly be replaced by an idential tocken.

ericgrau
2016-05-01, 11:06 AM
Unless you kill the Bug Herder and end the loop. Should probably cost more mana if left as-is though, even if the goal is to make bugs stronger.

Why is he red? He looks like he should be white, but you have the cost as red.
Yeah probably. I was stuck since those creatures are mostly red, with a little white. Maybe I should have done (W) or (W)(R) or (W/R).

Undercity Necropolitan B
Creature - Zombie Citizen C
Wither
1/1

Make another citizen!
1/1 and 1 ability is about right for 1 mana. A bit simple, but nice. Time to extend the concept a bit.

Burrow Mob (1R)
Creature - Goblin Citizen (C)
Citizens you control have banding.
1/1

Challenge: We're not done yet! Continue and make something for our Citizen deck. Doesn't need to be a creature. Based on my check of Gatherer the Citizen type did not exist until now.

Beelzebub1111
2016-05-01, 02:37 PM
Today we learn: How not to use banding. This is basically a 1/1 that makes you decide how your other 1/1s die when you attack or block. and for two, it's too much for what it does. And citizens were exclusively tokens (http://magiccards.info/query?q=o%3Acitizen), previously.

Tivadar's Banner 3
Artifact r
Citizens you control have protection from goblins
Sacrifice Tiviadar's Banner: Prevent all damage that would be dealt by red sources this turn

Challenge: Let's break this up. Let's try something Warhammer related.

r2d2go
2016-05-01, 03:44 PM
So, win vs goblins, strong vs red? I'd make it slightly weaker hate (e.g. low-cost equip that grants protection), at lower cost - instant wins vs certain archetypes are frowned on nowadays.

(also you should probably explain a bit on Warhammer if you're making a challenge on it - some have no idea)

Probably wouldn't get printed - Banding lets you attack with all your guys as long as at least some are high-toughness, which is powerful. Also, it's a card with banding, period :smalltongue: pretty high on the storm scale.

Note: I used the Citizen subtype for the other YMTC thread about a week ago, as a special identifier between dreamer/citizen form on transform cards in a dreamworld. Hopefully, you don't mind if I continue on that vein.

Inspiring Mayor 2W
Creature - Citizen U
Citizens you control get +1/+1.
At the end of turn, if no Dreamer's transform abilities have triggered, transform ~.
1/1

Weaver of Awe (W)
Creature - Dreamer U
Dreamers you control get +2/+2.
At the end of turn, transform ~.
2/2

Challenge: Another card with transform, or another anthem buff.

More Dakka 2RR
Instant - U
Creatures you control get double strike until end of turn.

Challenge: Another finisher, or a card that doesn't buff or deal damage. Bonus points for both.

Blue Ghost
2016-05-02, 02:00 PM
A nice finisher, simple and effective, and can be used defensively as well. I like it. Might work at rare due to how easily it ends games.

Conqueror's Ultimatum RRRWWBB
Sorcery (R)
Put twelve 1/1 white Warrior creature tokens onto the battlefield. They gain haste and lifelink until end of turn.
The Mardu hordes sweep over Tarkir like a wave, covering the land in a tide of blood.

Next: Another Ultimatum for one of the Tarkir clans.

braveheart
2016-05-02, 02:53 PM
No, even costing seven specific colors that card is too strong, 12 is just to many, if they were not haste, and kept the lifelink it might be ok, but the haste means that you have 12 extra attackers on that turn, and they are likely to all do damage so another 12 life gained, it's just too much

Sultai Ultimatum XUBG
Sorcery - M
Each Player puts the top X cards of their library into their graveyard twice, then put a 2/2 black Zombie token onto the battlefield for each creature spell put into a graveyard this way

Make a tri colored spell

Ionbound
2016-05-02, 03:09 PM
Not really an ultimatum...Those are pretty specific things in terms of what they are. Also seems pretty powerful, though symmetrical enough that it would be okay.

Abzan Ultimatum-WWWBBGG

Sorcery-R

Places 5 +1/+1 Counters on each creature you control. They gain deathtouch until the end of the turn.

Any challenge to a single Abzan is a challenge to the entire clan.

Challenge! Help finish the cycle!

Blue Ghost
2016-05-02, 03:21 PM
@braveheart: Is it really that much stronger than Cruel Ultimatum (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=376288)?

I like the use of +1/+1 counters for the Abzan ultimatum, but it'll make your creatures so big that the addition of deathtouch is pointless.

Grandmaster's Ultimatum UUURRWW
Sorcery (R)
Exile the top seven cards of your library. You may cast any instant or sorcery cards with converted mana cost 6 or lower exiled this way without paying their mana costs.
"Immerse yourself in the flow of the Way, and you shall be a conduit for its might." --Narset

Next: A Temur card. Preferably the Ultimatum.

braveheart
2016-05-02, 03:38 PM
I had been looking at those in the context of regular magic, seeing that it is intended as commander product does change my reaction to scope significantly
This one also falls into the only fair in commander catagory

Temur Ultimatum UUURRGG
Sorcery- R
Creatures you control get +4/+4 and trample until end of turn, then for each creature you control it may fight another creature you don't control

Something big and colorless, but not Eldrazi

r2d2go
2016-05-02, 05:38 PM
Honestly all these ultimatums seem pretty over the top. I guess that's the point of Ultimatums, but even Cruel Ultimatum wasn't even close to "if this resolves in the right deck, win" - you still lose to any solid board in that case. They seemed less about specific power and more general use. This one is kind of redundant (the fighting means there's likely less to trample over) and seems mono green, maybe green red, so I don't really like it. Even if you fix the blue focus since Temur is primarily green, it's still a problem.

Manastone Golem 4
Artifact Creature - Golem R
Nonartifact spells cost 1 less to cast.
3/5

Challenge: Another card based on an existing card - this one's Lodestone Golem. Or, another card the encourages mana fixing but not color heavy costs. Bonus points for both.

ericgrau
2016-05-02, 10:04 PM
Since it affects everyone and not just yourself, it's a bit high of a mana cost. But it's also a 3/5 so that balances it out. It's an ok sideboard against an artifact deck.

Moxie 0
Artifact - MR
(T): target creature with an activated ability with (T) in its cost gains vigilance until end of turn.
What? Him again?

Challenge: Make an "Un"(glued/hinged) card.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2016-05-02, 10:52 PM
I'll give you one thing - I think you may have created the game's first balanced Mox.

Dr. Gunsforhands 1WR
Legendary Artifact Creature - Human MR
Haste
T: Dr. Gunsforhands deals 1 damage to target creature. Regenerate that creature.
Whenever another creature you control blocks or is blocked, untap Dr. Gunsforhands.
"Don't worry, I'll fix 'em!"
1/2

Challenge! Make a simple, one-color, common-style creature with an ETB effect that targets another creature.

r2d2go
2016-05-02, 11:31 PM
I'd like it better if it said something like "If it's still alive, regenerate it", since otherwise the 1 damage is more or less pointless, since it immediately gets the damage removed. I suppose it restricts him to 2+ toughness patients. Though, one (intentional?) side effect is you can use him to remove people from combat, and do so fairly effectively because the untapping triggers stack and then you can machine-gun down something until it's regenerated. It's probably fine, and interesting enough.

Fireform Stalker 2R
Creature - Elemental Dreamer C
When ~ enters the battlefield, deal 2 damage to target creature.
2/1

Challenge: Another common card with a ETB equal to another common card, or another card that is generally played as a 2 for 1. Bonus points for both.

braveheart
2016-05-03, 12:03 AM
it's fair and actually pretty strong, maybe a little too strong for common, but it would really depend on the set you're in for how powerful that is as removal

Might Bringer 3G
Creature - Elemental - U
Trample, Flash
When ~ enters the battlefield target creature gets +3/+3 until end of turn.
3/3

A black flyer

Jormengand
2016-05-03, 09:01 AM
It's a big, flashy Yeva's Forcemage. Is that okay? Possibly, but I feel that it should probably cost a little more.

Shadow-Wing Slayer 3BB
Creature - Demon MR
Flying
Whenever Shadow-Wing Slayer deals damage to a player, you may return up to that many creatures named "Shadowborn Apostle" from your graveyard to your hand.
Whenever you sacrifice a creature, put a +1/+1 counter on Shadow-Wing Slayer
1/1

Next: Another card for a Shadowborn Apostle deck.

Beelzebub1111
2016-05-03, 10:13 AM
Pretty good. One thing a lot of shadowborn apotle decks miss is card draw, and this one cuts out the middle man, making way for bigger and badder demons.

He With No Name
Legendary Creature Demon Horror MR CI:B
(spells with no mana costs cannot be cast)
Trample, Wither, First Strike
3B: Draw two cards, the shuffle ~ into your library. You may only activate this ability if ~ is in your hand.
13/13

Challenge: another card with no mana cost

r2d2go
2016-05-03, 11:37 AM
Pretty good. One thing a lot of shadowborn apotle decks miss is card draw, and this one cuts out the middle man, making way for bigger and badder demons.

He With No Name
Legendary Creature Demon Horror MR CI:B
(spells with no mana costs cannot be cast)
Trample, Wither, First Strike
3B: Draw two cards, the shuffle ~ into your library. You may only activate this ability if ~ is in your hand.
13/13

Challenge: another card with no mana cost

It'd be fine if it had an anti-cheating clause (like Phage). Unfortunately, it does not. And because CMC nonexistent counts as CMC 0 (202.3a: The converted mana cost of an object with no cost is 0), Green Sun's Zenith and Chord of Calling ensure this would be immediately banned in modern, while no standard this is in can have any similar effects. Also, the reminder text is untrue - It should be "nonexistent mana costs can't be paid", since something like Fist of the Suns can give it a cost - unless you wanted it to be rules text, in which case it needs editing.

I'd like it a lot more, actually, if it had a built in cheating mechanism (e.g. you pay 2 life for the draw ability and it says "if this would bring you to 0 life, put this into the battlefield instead") since then at least you can claim it was designed for a standard which has minimal CMC based effects that move things to the battlefield. Given that, it becomes an interesting and relatively balanced card.

Counterflow
Instant - U
(Color Identity Blue)
(Nonexistent mana costs can't be paid)
Splice onto Instant 1UU (As you cast an Instant, you may reveal this card and pay 1UU. If you do, add this card's effects to that spell.)
Counter target spell unless its controller pays 1. Draw a card.

Note that since a spell can never target itself, you can't have the spliced spell counter itself.

Challenge: Another spell that gets more card advantage than its draw, or another spell that often is partially useless.

Ealon
2016-05-04, 02:30 PM
Counterflow
Instant - U
(Color Identity Blue)
(Nonexistent mana costs can't be paid)
Splice onto Instant 1UU (As you cast an Instant, you may reveal this card and pay 1UU. If you do, add this card's effects to that spell.)
Counter target spell unless its controller pays 1. Draw a card.

Challenge: Another spell that gets more card advantage than its draw, or another spell that often is partially useless.

I like this card. The splice into arcane mechanic was a good mechanic held back by the lack of cards with the 'arcane' sub-type. Allowing to splice into any instant overcomes this problem but makes balancing more difficult. Adding 1UU to a instant to make it a cantriping force-spike seem balanced.

Premeditated Assumption U
Instant - C
Look at the top card of your library and either put it into your graveyard put it 3rd from the top of your library.
Draw a card.

Challenge: Make a card that reorders parts of your library.

Black Socks
2016-05-04, 03:43 PM
Very nice! Cheap and lots of ways to use it!

Stack the Deck BB
Instant- C
Draw 4 random cards from your library. Put two on the top of your library and the other two at the bottom.
Amateurs try to predict the next card. Pros know.
-Kaloni, Tumundrian gambler

Challenge: Make a card that mixes two colours you wouldn't normally see together.

Blue Ghost
2016-05-04, 04:13 PM
Drawing has a specific meaning in Magic, namely moving cards from the top of your library to your hand. What you're proposing is functionally very similar to scry 4, which belongs in blue, not black, and is not an effect that's worth spending a card on.
There aren't any two colors that you wouldn't normally see together, since every color pair has been explored extensively, and at least one card in each pair appears in nearly every set. So I suppose I'll just post a random multicolor card.

http://i1283.photobucket.com/albums/a560/BlueGhostITP/Multicolor/Sammaran%20the%20Shadowed%20Earth_zpsqxbxd1eh.png

Next: Make a fixed version of an existing card or mechanic.

Black Socks
2016-05-04, 04:52 PM
I intended for the card to require 2 blue mana. If B means black, what is blue? BL?

BasketOfPuppies
2016-05-04, 05:06 PM
I intended for the card to require 2 blue mana. If B means black, what is blue? BL?

Blue is referred to by U.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2016-05-04, 05:08 PM
Sammaran is pretty solid! It's hard to review cards like these sometimes, especially when they seem to fall in the category of, '6+-cost cards where either your opponent kills it with removal or you win, the end.' With some thought, I can also say that this guy is especially good at punishing your opponent for delaying the inevitable with chump blockers, which fits nicely with his theme. Even if they throw enough bird tokens in its way that they can draw into a kill spell, you've at least gotten a few counters on your other creatures as compensation, so it's good value. As an elder dragon, he could easily get away with costing 2BBGG or more and still feel powerful.

Elder Dragon Highlands
Land - MR
When Elder Dragon Highlands enters the battlefield, name a legendary creature card.
T: Add 1 to your mana pool.
2, T, Sacrifice Elder Dragon Highlands: Choose target card you own with the chosen name in your graveyard or in exile. Return that card to your hand.

Moon Spite (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=25485) 1G
Creature - Spirit C
When Moon Spite enters the battlefield, it deals 1 damage to target creature with flying.
2/1

Challenge! Make a artifact useful to a deck full of small fliers.

v: I should probably note: the change I made to the name was not a typo.

ben-zayb
2016-05-04, 07:45 PM
The mechanics is more appropriate for green. Subtype doesn't need fixing, however; WotC distinguishes fey/faerie from spirit types, and sprite seems strongly associated with the former despite its etymology.

Magetower Roost 4
Artifact (U)
1UU,T: Up to X target creatures with flying gain prowess until end of turn, where X is the number of cards in your hand.

Make another card that works with prowess, or another tower.

Ealon
2016-05-04, 09:50 PM
Magetower Roost 4
Artifact (U)
1UU,T: Up to X target creatures with flying gain prowess until end of turn, where X is the number of cards in your hand.

Seems hard to play. It requires 1) casting the artifact 2) Having a meaningful number of flying creatures in play 3) Having cards in your hand 4) Having enough mana to both active the artifact and cast non-creature spells.

I think the card requires too much setup for too little payout. Perhaps lowering the cost of the activated ability would help.

Steam Pilot 2RU
(Art of a Goblin driving a steam-punk car that has wing-like attachments to the sides)
Creature - Goblin Wizard U
Prowess
~ has flying as long as its power is 5 or greater.
3/3
"With enough velocity, anything can fly! -- Izzet saying"
Izzet watermark

Make a card that kills fliers or creatively impairs them.

r2d2go
2016-05-04, 11:13 PM
I like it! Thematic and reasonable. Four turn clock with enough noncreature spells is certainly motivation to play noncreature spells - I worry it's not quite strong enough for limited, but I can't think of a way to make it stronger without being too strong. Maybe 3(R/U)?

Rocket Wrecker UURR
Creature - Goblin Artificer U
(Image: A goblin on a rocket flies by a bird and some sort of thopter, slamming rockets onto them.
Trample, Flying, Haste
~ must attack if able.
Whenever another creature with flying blocks or is blocked, it gets +2/-2.
4/1

Challenge: Another aggressive card that has CMC > 4. Or, another card that could benefit your enemies.

[email protected]: If a weenie blocks this, this still becomes blocked, normally negating all damage to the player. Trample lets you deal damage anyway.

ben-zayb
2016-05-05, 10:25 AM
It's unblockable to most weenies, so trample is a bit redundant. It's also hard to use in that even your own flyers may end up dying easily.

Akkijin Lightningforged (2/R)(2/R)(2/R)
Artifact Creature - Goblin Construct (R)
Champion a creature with power 2 or less
Whenever a creature you control enters the battlefield, you may have it gain haste and double strike. If you do, return it to its owner's hand at the beginning of the next end step.
3/2

Make another goblin (4th in a row!), or a group of creatures. Bonus for both!

braveheart
2016-05-05, 11:14 AM
The problem with that guy is how much potential it gives to win without allowing your opponent any options. It would win any limited game it shows up in, I can't say much about other formats, but the card seems just a little too dangerous for 3 mana

Goblin Brawler 2R
(Image of a goblin surrounded by foes and grinning)
Creature - Goblin - R
Trample
Whenever ~ becomes blocked, he gets +3/+3 per creature blocking it.
All creatures able to block ~ do so
2/2

A creature with first strike

Beelzebub1111
2016-05-05, 11:44 AM
Pseudo-rampage 3 goblin with trample AND a lure. I feel like the lure would make it cost way more by virtue of being a goblin alone. Trample Rampage is just overkill. Either needs the cost increased (about 4RR, 3RR if you lower rampage to 2) or the lure removed. Lures mean lots of unblocked creatures getting through and is a near guaranteed kill for a goblin deck.

Plague Scorpion 1(ɸ/B)(ɸ/B)
Artifact Creature - Insect U
First Strike, Infect
1/2

Challenge: ɸ mana cost

Ealon
2016-05-05, 12:20 PM
Plague Scorpion 1(ɸ/B)(ɸ/B)
Artifact Creature - Insect U
First Strike, Infect
1/2

1/2 Infect for *cough* '1' mana! Slot that in my modern infect deck!

In other contexts the card is good. The interaction between First Strike and Wither damage is fun interaction to have and at 1/2 it's not broken.

Corrupted Witness 2(ɸ/G)
Creature - Elf Shaman U
When ~ dies, you my pay (ɸ/G). If you do, return a non-elf card from your graveyard to your hand.
2/2
"I no longer require my grove, Phyrexian perfection is my family now."

Drat, I didn't know about that precedent. Making it an artifact breaks the flavor of the card and removing Phyrexian cost breaks the challenge and breaks the nice mechanics of the card... I guess if it was to be redone it would be an artifact creature and the elf sub-type and non-elf would be changed to something else.

Make an corrupted Phyrexian version of a card.

Blue Ghost
2016-05-05, 01:02 PM
Ooh, I quite like this. As with any Phyrexian mana card, there's the danger of color pie breakage, but I don't think any color would get particularly broken by this effect. The Phyrexian payment for the death trigger encourages you to leave up mana, but doesn't force you, and doesn't unduly punish you if you neglect to do so. The non-Elf clause keeps it from recurring itself or other copies of itself, and does so with only a single word (or two, depending on your perspective). And it's a nice callback to a very powerful card that many players will be familiar with.
I believe the precedent is that all permanents that use Phyrexian mana are artifacts. I could be wrong.

Ravager of Zendikar 5BB
Creature - Elemental (M)
When Ravager of Zendikar enters the battlefield, put a 1/1 black Germ creature token onto the battlefield for each land you control.
Whenever a land enters the battlefield under your control, you may put a -1/-1 counter on target creature.
5/5

Next: Something with madness.

r2d2go
2016-05-05, 01:52 PM
It's not great - Landfall and land synergy is good, but one comes before and one after. This will likely get you a bunch of germs and a big dude for 7, but in colors without anthem buffs it's probably not strong enough. Also, by the time this drops, very little will come of its Landfall. Since you didn't use the ability word anyway, maybe the second should trigger whenever a creature ETB?

Rambling Ravager 4(B/P)(R/P)
Artifact Creature - Beast U
Trample
Madness 1RB
If ~ is cast for its madness cost, it gains haste. Sacrifice it at the end of turn.
It gained sentience, only to have it broken.
6/1

Challenge: Another big, fragile artifact.

somethingrandom
2016-05-06, 06:22 AM
I think it is a bit to powerful for a uncommon I think you should make it either cost 4BR or be rare.
Glass Cannon 6
Artifact R
T:Put a Charge counter on ~
X,remove a charge counter from ~,T: Deal X damage to target creature
2: Destroy ~, Only any opponant may activate this ability.

Challange: make a creature with and high mana cost but low power and toughness

ben-zayb
2016-05-06, 06:48 AM
It's pretty gimmicky, and it isn't powerful and durable enough to justify combo-ing with an artifact untapper. It looks acceptable as an uncommon.

Shinobi Nightforged 2(2/U)(2/B)
Artifact Creature - Ninja Construct (R)
Each blue and each black creature you control has skulk.
Champion a creature
~ has the championed creature's abilities.
1/2

Make another "special suit" / "mobile suit" / "mecha", or another creature that grants evasion.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2016-05-06, 04:16 PM
Mechanically it kind of fits together, but flavorfully it's a bit more confusing than you're likely to get away with. Why not just let it cost 2UB? Esper creatures like this are allowed to be artifacts; you don't have to rely on weird scarecrow mana to make it work. It just barely feels enough like Ninjutsu to potentially bring back ninjas, and Champion feels just as weird to bring back, but I don't have a big problem with all of that. The in-game function is naturally to champion a creature with a nasty when-this-hits-a-player ability but no evasion of is own, and this does that just fine... but is the suit itself supposed to be the skulklord, or does it give the ability to the thing it championed or what?

Phyrexian Gremlin-armor 1(b/ɸ)(b/ɸ)
Artifact - Equipment R
(You may pay (b/ɸ) with B or 2 life)
Equipped creature has deathtouch.
Sacrifice equipped creature: Phyrexian Gremlin-armor becomes a 5/5 black Horror artifact creature with deathtouch until end of turn.
Equip 2

Challenge! Make another thing that eats your own minions, even if it's for the greater good.

braveheart
2016-05-06, 05:10 PM
It seems pretty fair, and strong, I don't have much to say otherwise

Flame Belly Gorger 2RR
Creature - Dragon - U
Flying, Devour 2 (As this creature enters the battlefield, you may sacrifice any number of creatures. It enters the battlefield with twice that many +1/+1 counters on it.)
When ~ enters the battlefield deal X damage to target creature or player, where X is the number of creatures sacrificed this turn
2/2

Use devour

BasketOfPuppies
2016-05-06, 06:18 PM
So it's a 4-drop flyer that lets you stack pings at the cost of your minions, plus it gets huge. I see this getting way too out of hand. Maybe have devour 1 and just make it deal the damage to a creature.

Phyrexian Swarm 4BB
Creature- Horror R
Devour 1
Infect
put 2 +1/+1 counters on ~ for each creature with infect sacrificed for its devour ability.
"They started to converge on each other, and they combined into something far more powerful than the sum of its parts."
"Like Defensor from Transformers?"
"...Sure."
1/1

Make something blue. Bonus points for using multiple definitions of blue.

r2d2go
2016-05-06, 10:15 PM
I'm not sure I like the wording, but beyond that... It's pretty mediocre. It's got the opposite problem of the previous one - You more or less have to sacrifice "real" creatures to get a big benefit (rare to have infect tokens), and then it's got nothing beyond a big, mostly-vanilla body. Sure, with "just" a 2-guy sacrifice you get a 7/7 for 6, but that's pretty bad. Needs trample or something.

Blue-Flame Progressive 1WUUR
Creature - Monk R
Double Strike, Flying, Hexproof, Lifelink, Defender
Prowess
Whenever you cast a noncreature spell, ~ gains Vigilance and can attack as if it didn't have defender until end of turn.
1/4

Another card with many keywords on it. Or, a card that explores mechanics. Bonus points for both.

Blue Ghost
2016-05-06, 10:20 PM
That's a lot of keywords. Does make it quite complex, but I suppose it's not so bad after you figure it out the first time. The main thing here is a powerful creature that can't attack unless you cast a spell this turn. I guess I can respect that.

http://i1283.photobucket.com/albums/a560/BlueGhostITP/Colorless/Slumbering%20Colossus_zpsrtplv4we.png

Next: A card that animates artifacts.

Ninjaman
2016-05-07, 03:17 AM
At first I was like, you forgot power and toughness. Then I realized what you did. Fun design but compare it to the hockey puck (darksteel relic), you wouldn't pay 3 for 3 keywords when you animate it, and relic isn't seeing play. This could probably cost 1 or have a weak ability to animate itself.

Vedalken Animator - 2U
Creature - Vedalken Artificer - U
When Vedalken Animator enters the battlefield you may have target artifact become a 3/3 artifact creature.
2/2

Another nonartifact card that supports artifacts.

Fortuna
2016-05-07, 04:04 AM
Mild memory issues; I would probably have it be "Target artifact becomes a 0/0 artifact creature. Put three +1/+1 counters on it." It's pretty respectable as a limited tool, although its best-case is worryingly strong, particularly for blue. I might drop it to a 1/3 or 1/2.

Scrapheap Tinkerer 2RR
Creature - Goblin Artificer R
Whenever an artifact you control is put into a graveyard from the battlefield, put a scrap counter on Scrapheap Tinkerer.
1, T, remove X + 1 scrap counters from Scrapheap Tinkerer: Return target artifact card with converted mana cost X from your graveyard to the battlefield.
2/3

Challenge: Make a creature that untaps other creatures.

Blue Ghost
2016-05-07, 01:56 PM
Not bad. The ability requiring it to tap prevents some shenanigans. You'd have to work quite a bit to build up enough counters for it to do much. Perhaps it would be better as an artifact rather than a creature, so it's a bit less fragile?

http://i1283.photobucket.com/albums/a560/BlueGhostITP/Blue/Battle%20Dancer_zpsepegpf8s.png

Next: Another bard. (Petition to make bard an official creature type!)

r2d2go
2016-05-07, 02:47 PM
My main complaint is that it doesn't seem like a battle dancer :smalltongue: If it's functioning well, you don't want it to see battle. The same concept seems more like a card for WW or WR to me, with vigilance and maybe first strike.

Bardic Beguiler 1UB
Creature - Demon Bard U
Whenever a creature blocks or is blocked by ~, it gets -2/-0 until end of turn and you gain 2 life.
2/3

Challenge: Another devil, or another defensive card.

Ninjaman
2016-05-07, 03:46 PM
It doesn't seem like a devil, as they shouldn't really be defensive, and if they were, not in a life gaining way, but other than that it is quite cool. It is a quite efficient blocker, and quite neatly deals with deathtouch creatures. Also devils are red, this would probably be fit better as an imp, or a humonculus or something like that.

Chained Fiend - 2R
Creature - Devil - C
Defender
Whenever Chained Fiend dies it deals 3 damage to each opponent.
3/2

Another defender with only creature types that haven't been printed with defender before.

r2d2go
2016-05-07, 04:22 PM
It doesn't seem like a devil, as they shouldn't really be defensive, and if they were, not in a life gaining way, but other than that it is quite cool. It is a quite efficient blocker, and quite neatly deals with deathtouch creatures. Also devils are red, this would probably be fit better as an imp, or a humonculus or something like that.

Chained Fiend - 2R
Creature - Devil - C
Defender
Whenever Chained Fiend dies it deals 3 damage to each opponent.
3/2

Another defender with only creature types that haven't been printed with defender before.

Just a quick note: I mixed up D&D devils with MtG devils again :smallsigh: I'll edit it - was supposed to be a Demon, which has been UB and/or lifegaining before.

ben-zayb
2016-05-07, 08:30 PM
It's pretty cleverly done as a defensive red card. It really looks good for a common.

Howlpack Mother 2GG
Creature - Wolf (R)
Defender
Whenever a creature deals damage to another wolf or werewolf you control, ~ fights that creature.
4/5

Make another Mother's Day card, or another terrible pun.

r2d2go
2016-05-07, 08:45 PM
It's pretty cool - Essentially gives your wolves +4 power in combat as long as it lives, which is a tad scary, but I think it's balanced well.

Mother Grizzly 2G
Creature - Bear U
When ~ enters the battlefield, put a 0/1 green Bear Cub token with "creatures blocked by or blocking this creature have First Strike" onto the battlefield.
Whenever a Bear dies, ~ gets +2/+2 until end of turn.
2/3

Challenge: Another thing that grants first strike. Or, another bear. Bonus points for both.

Fortuna
2016-05-08, 01:23 AM
Mechanically it's fine, and I see what you're going for flavourwise, but the story it creates through gameplay is very weird. You're encouraged to murder the bear cub - or any other bears - at an opportune moment, almost tricking Mother Grizzly into getting stronger for your nefarious ends. It's one thing when wonky gameplay stories arise through play, but this is really the only story you can tell with this card, making it pretty disappointing. I'd rather see a Mother Grizzly that gets up in arms when her cub is threatened, not killed.

Temur Totem-Beast 3R
Creature - Bear R
Whenever a creature you control with exactly 3 power attacks, it gets +1/+0 and first strike until end of turn.
3/2
The Temur respect the strength of bears greatly. When one joins with a hunting party, it is an omen of great strength.

Challenge: Make a white or blue double-faced card.

ben-zayb
2016-05-08, 03:33 AM
Wasn't Temur's "power" measured in 4s? The effect is fairly restrictive, which makes it a bit harder to work with.

Detective Stevan (W/U)(W/U)
Legendary Creature - Human (R)
1U: Investigate.
W: Transform ~. Activate only if you control 3 or more clues.
1/3
//
Stevan, Verdict-Knight {W/U indicator}
Legendary Creature - Human Rogue (R)
Sacrifice X clues: Exile target nonland permanent or spell with converted mana cost less than X.
When ~ deals combat damage, investigate and transform it.
3/3

Make another card based on the superhero genre, or another knight.

ericgrau
2016-05-08, 11:46 AM
Is investigate supposed to generate clues or some such? I think you're missing something.

Billy Browndust 1W
Legendary Creature - Human (R)
If there are 3 or more enchantments attached to ~, transform ~
1/1

//

Enchanto-Man (W indicator)
Legendary Creature - Human Knight
Double Strike, Vigilance
(T), Sacrifice an enchantment attached to ~: destroy target permanent
If there are less than 3 enchantments attached to ~, transform ~
4/6

Challenge: Make another card with some kind of special attack activated ability in addition to its regular abilities.

ben-zayb
2016-05-08, 01:40 PM
Is investigate supposed to generate clues or some such? I think you're missing something.
Yup, investigate (http://mtgsalvation.gamepedia.com/Investigate) is a keyword action introduced in the latest set, Shadows over Innistrad.
EDIT: d'oh, needs link!

ericgrau
2016-05-09, 09:10 PM
Yup, investigate (http://mtgsalvation.gamepedia.com/Investigate) is a keyword action introduced in the latest set, Shadows over Innistrad.
EDIT: d'oh, needs link!

Ah, should have known. Didn't sound MTG-ey to me so I didn't check.

In that case I see an unintended danger with the card in that it allows instant speed card draw for 4 mana a card. What's more, you can store it up 2 mana at a time which makes things a bit easier. I can see this card being (ab)used in counterspell decks. It's also a bit powerful for clue generation in general. Might be better with "2U,(T): Investigate", and transform with 2 or more clues.

r2d2go
2016-05-09, 11:52 PM
It seems like a painful card, both to play and to play against. It's basically either your opponent has removal that gets around whatever protection you've given it, or not. If there's no removal, your opponent just kinda sighs and watches his face get beat in by what's probably like a 9/9 double strike trample vigilance hexproof can't be blocked by more than one creature, and you just shrug because that happens like half the time. If it does get removed, the same thing happens, except the other way around. Your opponent shrugs and wins the game because you just got 4 for 1'd. I suppose if you topdeck to hit that critical mass of enchantments or to kill it, you'd be happy, but that's true of most good topdecks. This just seems to encourage really stale, one-track gameplay.

That said, I do think it has potential. Maybe as a bear, two enchantments to activate, and a slightly less insane transformed state, it'd be a (relatively) healthy extension of Daybreak Corona (though that was a bit broken in itself). Not sure.

Echo Charger UURR
Creature - Human Warrior R
Double Strike, Hexproof
Whenever ~ deals damage to a player, put a +1/+1 counter on it. Then, if it has 4 or more +1/+1 counters, remove them. Draw a card for each counter removed this way.
1/4

Challenge: Another card that charges. Or, another card that generates card advantage by hitting an enemy (there are many: try a gatherer search of blue creatures with "card", "damage" and "player" in the text). Bonus points for doing both, without using the damage-a-player to generate "charge".

braveheart
2016-05-10, 12:20 PM
my only complaint is that you have to do 10 damage to get the draw unless you are using other methods of gaining +1/+1 counters, so the draw ability is usually going to prove irrelevant because other sources are likely to do more damage before this card gets a chance to

Lighning Charger 1UR
Creature-Elemental-U
Haste
Whenever ~ deals combat damage to a creature it may deal 1 damage to up to 2 other target creatures
1/3

Another creature

Ealon
2016-05-10, 01:08 PM
From a flavor standpoint, there is isn't much mechanically blue about this card other than it's power to toughness ratio.
Other than that, the card seem weak as your opponent can either decide to never block it and accept the 20 turn clock it hold off attacking until he/she has things with 3+ toughness creatures on the board. I'd move it to common, cost it one less, or give it flash.

Thieving Ooze 2G
Creature - Ooze U
Whenever a non-token creature dies, place a +1/+1 counter on ~.
Whenever ~ attacks, you may remove 2 +1/+1 counter from ~. If you do, draw a card.
"My swords's missing again! That slime must have absorbed it in last night's attack. - local guard"
2/2

Make a combat trick that is best used on a unblocked attacking creature. Bonus points if it's playable on to target either your and your opponent's attacking creatures.

r2d2go
2016-05-10, 02:14 PM
Wait, so somehow the local guard didn't notice his sword getting eaten by a bear-sized slime? I feel like this should have Skulk or something. And, to be honest, it'd make more sense in Skulk colors - death bonuses afe more Black than Green, and card draw is more Blue. Still, it's interesting, and balanced enough.

Wounds to Wisdom 3WU
Instant - R
Prevent all damage target creature would deal this turn. Draw a card for each point of damage prevented this way.

Challenge: Another card that's a lot worse in most mirror matchup, or another card that provides multiple functions. Bonus points for both.

Blue Ghost
2016-05-10, 03:59 PM
Potential for massive amounts of card draw, but it's situational, and requires you to leave a lot of mana open. I'm not a very good judge of power level for Standard and such, but this seems pretty reasonable in the formats I play (Limited and Commander). Pretty good. Flavor's a bit awkward though; you could probably find better flavor for the same concept.

Ravager Devil R
Creature - Devil (R)
Haste
Whenever Ravager Devil deals combat damage to a player, it deals 1 damage to you.
2/1

Next: Something that involves sacrifice.

Ninjaman
2016-05-11, 05:35 AM
This is really good, you might want to at least change the trigger to whenever it attacks, or whenever it deal combat damage (to anything). But I quite like it.

Unleashed Soul - 1B
Creature - Spirit - U
Menace
When Unleashed Soul enters the battlefield, sacrifice a permanent.
3/2

Another 2 mana creature with 3 power.

r2d2go
2016-05-11, 12:13 PM
It seems alright in suicide black, but I feel like it'd be better at maybe 3 mana 4/3, or something like that. A curve topper, so you can sacrifice your lands without remorse.

Hellfire Scum RB
Creature - Rat Horror U
Deathtouch, Menace, Trample
Whenever ~ takes damage, sacrifice a creature.
Giant rats have never been so horrifying.
3/1

Challenge: Another giant [creature], or another creature that hurts your other creatures.

braveheart
2016-05-11, 02:14 PM
So if I block it with 10 1/1's you have to sac 10 other creatures, because it's dead before the ability resolves, it can backfire too easily, because what I gave is an extreme case, but an opponent can easily get 3 of your creatures for 2 of his, it's far more a liability than a benefit

Fiend Guard 4RB
(Image of a demon blocking an attack with a goblin's face)
Creature-Devil-R
Menace
Whenever damage would be dealt to ~you may prevent that damage and deal that much damage to another creature you control
7/4

A white human

Jormengand
2016-05-11, 04:12 PM
Hmm. Stuffy Doll combo, maybe? I dunno, it seems really, really, powerful, but I'm not sure whether or not it's too powerful.

Lord Inquisitor 2WW
Creature - Human Soldier R
When Lord Inquisitor enters the battlefield, for each equipment you control, you may equip that equipment to Lord Inquisitor.
When Lord Inquisitor dies, for each equipment equipped to it, you may equip that equipment to a human you control.
3/3

Next: Another inquisitor.

Ealon
2016-05-12, 05:51 PM
Lord Inquisitor 2WW
When Lord Inquisitor enters the battlefield, for each equipment you control, you may equip that equipment to Lord Inquisitor.
When Lord Inquisitor dies, for each equipment equipped to it, you may equip that equipment to a human you control.
3/3

The card is mechanically sound. The abilities are strong but not over-powered do to the prerequisite of needing equipment in play. Flavor wise though, I don't get what makes him an Inquisitor or why he gives his stuff to someone else when he dies. Sweet card around.

Merciless Inquisitor 2WB
Creature - Human Cleric - MR
When ~ Enters the Battlefield, target opponent may reveal his/her hand. If they do, you choose a creature card from it. That player exiles that card. If that player does not reveal his/her hand, that player loses 5 life and you gain 5 life.
xWB:Cast a creature card exiled by ~ without paying it's mana cost. X is the converted mana cost of the creature card.
"You either follow me and my Lord, or suffer the consequences."
2/2

Make a land that has a ETB effect or a creature with a Landfall effect.

EDIT: I can spell, really I can.

Fortuna
2016-05-12, 06:36 PM
That seems absurdly strong. Either +2 card advantage or a ten-point life swing with a body for 4. I think I would bump it as high as six mana, and beef the body a little.

Sleeping Stones
Land R
T: Add C to your mana pool.
Landfall - When Sleeping Stones or another land enters the battlefield under your control, Sleeping Stones becomes a 1/2 artifact creature with defender until your next turn. It's still a land.

Challenge: Another card that changes its own types.

Blue Ghost
2016-05-12, 11:36 PM
A 1/2 defender is likely to get itself killed in short order. Sacrificing a land for a chump block is not a good feeling, and there's not much else the creature form is good for. And it turns itself into a land on the turn it's played, which means that if you want to tap it for mana that turn, you have to do it in response to its activation, which is awkward and confusing.

Living Sword 3
Artifact (R)
Living Sword is a 3/3 Construct artifact creature with indestructible as long as it's your turn.

Next: In defiance of the thread title, make a functional reprint! Points for creative flavor.

somethingrandom
2016-05-13, 09:39 AM
Cursebreaker W
Instant C
Destroyed target Enchantment. If the destroyed enchantment is a curse gain 3 life.

Challange: Make a non green mana drok

r2d2go
2016-05-13, 03:19 PM
You're missing a critique, so I'll do that: I think Living Sword's too strong. Immune to sorcery speed creature removal, attacks indestructibly. Though, it's probably not fast enough to get played in constructed, so I guess it's probably okay.

As for your card: It's pretty bland, and I don't think it's a functional reprint of anything. There's Cursebreak (1W, destroy an enchantment, gain 2 life), but I looked up destroy enchantment gain life, and there was nothing like this. It's probably okay though - assuming curses are a significant subtype of cards in this set, it's a 1 mana common that's strictly better than Demystify. There's a few uncommons that do that, as well as Quiet Purity which is similar but Arcane. So, it's probably printable in a set with moderate enchantment density.

Drok 1R
Creature - Goblin U
Drok can't attack or block unless you pay 2.
"Okk found new friend!" - Okk
4/4

Challenge: Another card that makes a previous card less bad.

Ealon
2016-05-13, 04:14 PM
Cleverness can know no bounds. Nice card, perfect at uncommon. Only thing I can critique on that it feels more like an ogre or orc than a goblin.

Guardian Waterfall
'Art of one of those Zendikar floating islands with waterfalls flowing off all sides of it. The island is hovering over a giant tree, surronding it with waterfall.'
Land - R
{T}: add one C to your mana pool
When ~ entered the battlefield, target land gains indestructible until end of turn.
1U{T}: Exile ~ and return it to the battlefield tapped

Edit: Re-costed the activated ability.

Challenge: Make an ogre, a big smelly scary ogre.

Black Socks
2016-05-13, 06:47 PM
Seems pretty good. I can't think of many cards that destroy lands, but that's probably just due to the people I play with.

Big Smelly Ogre 2RR
Creature- R
When Big Smelly Ogre enters the battlefield, choose a non-artifact creature with toughness equal to or less than BSO's toughness. That creature is tapped for a number of turns equal to the amount of Mountains you control.
When the ogres attack, many fall beneath their weapons, but a good amount fall beneath their stench.
2/4

Challenge: Make a character/creature from another game into a card. Bonus points for giving the card a special ability related to the creature's original powers!

r2d2go
2016-05-13, 07:25 PM
Seems pretty good. I can't think of many cards that destroy lands, but that's probably just due to the people I play with.

Big Smelly Ogre 2RR
Creature- R
When Big Smelly Ogre enters the battlefield, choose a non-artifact creature with toughness equal to or less than BSO's toughness. That creature is tapped for a number of turns equal to the amount of Mountains you control.
When the ogres attack, many fall beneath their weapons, but a good amount fall beneath their stench.
2/4

Challenge: Make a character/creature from another game into a card. Bonus points for giving the card a special ability related to the creature's original powers!

The main problem, I think, is memory problems. It probably needs Stench counters or something. To make room for that extra text, maybe make it a fixed number of counters? The variability on toughness makes some sense, but the mountains seem like an unrelated restriction to encourage mono-red, which is achievable simply through costing it at 1RRR.

Purple Worm 4GG
Creature - Wurm R
Trample
Whenever a creature with toughness less than ~ blocks or is blocked by ~, exile that creature. When ~ dies, return each creature exiled with it to the battlefield.
4/6

Challenge: Another big guy.

Jormengand
2016-05-14, 01:59 PM
Disappointed that it's not really purple. :smalltongue:

It's weird, because the trample doesn't work when the creature blocks it. Also, it can just kill most things with lower toughness, unless it's exactly one lower.

Arcane Colossus WUBRG
Creature - Giant C
Sometimes there is no time for order, for subtlety, for trickery, for emotion or for growth, only for power. Everyone, whether they admit it or not, wants power.
8/8

Next: Another creature that's all colours.

Fortuna
2016-05-14, 03:03 PM
It's... a functional reprint of Fusion Elemental (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=271139). Yay?

Resplendent Beast WUBRG
Creature - Beast R
When Resplendent Beast becomes the target of a spell or ability, or is turned face up while it's the target of a spell or ability, choose a different target for that spell or ability at random.
Players can't nonrandomly choose other creatures you control as targets.
Morph WUBRG
5/6

Challenge: Make a common creature with CMC 2 or less.

r2d2go
2016-05-14, 03:16 PM
Seems like too much text for what really comes down to a fancy Spellskite with random deflection - which is unfortunate, because random deflection is a pain to do (you have to figure out all possible targets, then shuffle them around and choose one at random, and put in placeholders for players...) - there are better and easier ways to get similar power, function and flavor. I also think this should just be red-blue (maybe not even blue, though the board target manipulation is more blue than red) - chaos and variability is represented by red, not five color, generally. At least it's not boring? :smalltongue:

Wolfpack Delta 1G
Creature - Wolf C
Pack - Whenever ~ attacks, it gets +1/+0 for each other attacking Wolf.
1/2

Challenge: Another card that synergizes with itself. Or, another animal. Bonus points for both, without using the word "each" or "other".

ben-zayb
2016-05-15, 09:40 AM
It's a pretty good fit for common. I could've sworn I've seen this before, and I'd be disappointed at WoTC if I was just imagining that.

Shinken Oathforged 4(2/W)(2/W)
Creature - Samurai Construct (R)
Champion a creature
Creatures you control have lifelink and bushido X, where X the championed creature's converted mana cost.
~ has the championed creature's abilities. (Multiple instance of this ability doesn't stack.)
3/3

Make another creature that is good for both offense and defense, or another card with X.

ericgrau
2016-05-15, 10:34 AM
So champion a big beast and swing with army for the kill. It's a bit like a re-usable overrun-lite. You need a big army for it to get out of hand, so it's not bad.

Bear Spirit 2WR
Creature - Spirit Bear U
X is the number of red mana symbols in the cost of creatures you control.
Y is the number of white mana symbols in the cost of creatures you control.
X/Y

Challenge: Make a card that copies something(s) from other permanent(s) but isn't just a clone.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2016-05-15, 05:08 PM
So, super-weird Devotion bear? Even though it's not all that powerful, it still kind of has to be rare just because it's so annoying to keep track of its stats. The general idea could have been sound back when Devotion was a thing, but this poor ghost bear is just a bit too small no matter how you try to shore it up. A mono-green version might pull it off better. Green is a more appropriate color for bear spirits anyway.

Disciple of the Hydra 1G
Creature - Human Monk C
As this creature enters the battlefield, choose another creature you control. This creature enters the battlefield with X +1/+1 counters on it, where X the number of +1/+1 counters on the chosen creature.
2/2

Challenge! A colorless or mono-color card that's clearly meant for a multicolor deck, but doesn't reference any other color in particular.

r2d2go
2016-05-15, 05:16 PM
So champion a big beast and swing with army for the kill. It's a bit like a re-usable overrun-lite. You need a big army for it to get out of hand, so it's not bad.

Bear Spirit 2WR
Creature - Spirit Bear U
X is the number of red mana symbols in the cost of creatures you control.
Y is the number of white mana symbols in the cost of creatures you control.
X/Y

Challenge: Make a card that copies something from other permanent(s) but isn't just a clone.

It's perfectly serviceable, though I might use the keyword Devotion (X is your devotion to red) - that'd include all permanents. It probably could cost 1WR like this.

Crystalmorpher UR
Creature - Weird R
R - ~ becomes an X/1 creature until end of turn, where X is target creature's base power.
U - ~ becomes a 1/X creature until end of turn, where X is target creature's base toughness.
One part chaos, one part crystal, and three parts paradox.
1/1

Challenge: Another bear, or another thing that negates its own abilities. Bonus points for both.

ericgrau
2016-05-15, 09:07 PM
Looks like we got ninjutsu problems. I'll take care of this.

@ Dr. Gunsforhands: Seems like it's meant to copy apocalypse hydra and other hydras. And even a clone can't copy their full power. As such it's a bit cheap for 1G, especially as a common. Maybe 2G. Otherwise fun and interesting in a green deck.

@ r2d2go: I would attack and use its ability after my opponent declares blockers, to either save crystalmorpher or to go for the kill. If I had a spare mana I might even bluff and use its ability before combat then switch. Equipment/enchants could expand the options. Seems like a fun card.

Gnomish Bear 3
Artifact Creature - Bear Construct R
1: Until end of turn, gnomish bear gains protection from the color of mana used to activate this ability.
2/2
Actually no, it doesn't poop in the woods.

Challenge: Make a spell that costs 7-9 colorless mana.

BasketOfPuppies
2016-05-15, 10:17 PM
Cons: I don't see the gnomish-ness of this and what about using colorless mana? Maybe make it type of mana. Also maybe only let it be used one a turn.
Pros: you followed all of the restrictions amazingly. 11/10.

Worldrender 7CC
Creature-Eldrazi MR
When ~ attacks, exile target land and ~ can't attack during your next combat step.
The mark it leaves can never be undone.
9/11

I want a bear that hates bears. Do with that what you will.

Blue Ghost
2016-05-15, 10:56 PM
I'm not sure if combat step is the correct usage here. Wording is a bit awkward, but I quite like this card. It conveys the destructive power of the Eldrazi and the slow annihilation of a plane quite well.

http://i1283.photobucket.com/albums/a560/BlueGhostITP/Green/Tundra%20Mauler_zpsd6yaj1jh.png

Next: An instant or sorcery that transforms into a permanent.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2016-05-16, 12:35 AM
Love it. Not much to criticize, really. It's a 2-for-1 that's generally balanced by the fact that it's eating something it probably would have eaten anyway. The art is great, the flavor text is hilarious, and the mana cost... might be a little better as double-green, but the thought of someone splashing for Bears Out of Nowhere is so wonderful it evades my better judgement.

Weird Wizardry 1UU
Sorcery - MR
Kicker 3RR
Reveal the top 4 cards of your library. Put all instant and sorcery cards revealed this way into your hand and the rest into your graveyard.
If Weird Wizardry was kicked, transform it and put it on the battlefield.

//

Steam-sky Sorcerer
Creature - Weird Wizard MR
(This creature is red and blue.)
Whenever you cast an instant or sorcery spell, put a 5/5 red and blue Elemental creature token with flying on the battlefield.
3/3

Challenge! A non-izzet, two-color instant or sorcery.

Fortuna
2016-05-16, 12:39 AM
Pretty much what I expected of this challenge. Solid design. You could probably get away with it at 2GG or maybe even 3G - at 4G it feels a little costly.

Hateful Rending 2BB
Sorcery R
Target player loses 3 life, discards a card and sacrifices a permanent. If you cast ~ from your hand, put it onto the battlefield transformed under that player's control.
In the few moments of freedom it is afforded, the demon wreaks what destruction it can.
///
Demon's Prison
Artifact
When ~ is put into a graveyard from the battlefield, return it to its owner's hand.
Even contained and harnessed, it cannot truly be called tame.

Challenge: Make an enchantment that cares about instants and sorceries.

r2d2go
2016-05-17, 01:21 AM
More ninjas. I'll try to get both, as ericgrau so kindly did before.

Weird Wizardry 1UU
Sorcery - MR
Kicker 3RR
Reveal the top 4 cards of your library. Put all instant and sorcery cards revealed this way into your hand and the rest into your graveyard.
If Weird Wizardry was kicked, transform it and put it on the battlefield.

//

Steam-sky Sorcerer
Creature - Weird Wizard MR
(This creature is red and blue.)
Whenever you cast an instant or sorcery spell, put a 5/5 red and blue Elemental creature token with flying on the battlefield.
3/3

Challenge! A non-izzet, two-color instant or sorcery.

It's cool, but not particularly red. Maybe if the summoned things were topheavy, or had a red keyword? Other than that, it's really the power of the front half that worries me, but it's rarely going average more than draw 2, and then the stuff going to the graveyard is unlikely to have Flashback. It could fuel delve, though. Maybe it could exile them? Not sure. The kicked version costs 8 mana, so that's certainly fine.

Hateful Rending 2BB
Sorcery R
Target player loses 3 life, discards a card and sacrifices a permanent. If you cast ~ from your hand, put it onto the battlefield transformed under that player's control.
In the few moments of freedom it is afforded, the demon wreaks what destruction it can.
///
Demon's Prison
Artifact
When ~ is put into a graveyard from the battlefield, return it to its owner's hand.
Even contained and harnessed, it cannot truly be called tame.

Challenge: Make an enchantment that cares about instants and sorceries.

It seems relatively weak - a two for one, kind of, but it ramps your opponent and gives them a lot of choice over what two cards are getting removed. For four mana, I could see just the first sentence being printed. I suppose with artifact hate it becomes repeatable, which is a plus, but then you're putting an otherwise mediocre card at 2BB in what's probably B/R or B/G? Which also seems bad. It should probably cost less or do more.

Angelic Wisdom 1UW
Instant - U
Draw a card.
Put ~ onto the battlefield transformed.
//
Dormant Divinity
Enchantment - U
Whenever you play an instant or sorcery, you may pay 1UW. If you do, return ~ to your hand.
At the beginning of your upkeep, gain 1 life.

(Disclaimer: Sacrifices in design were made for the sake of fulfilling both challenges.)

Angelic Wisdom UUWW
Instant - U
Draw a card, then gain 1 life for each card in your hand.

Cantercycle U
Enchantment - U
When ~ enters the battlefield, draw a card.
Whenever you cast an instant or sorcery, you may pay 2UU. If you do, return ~ to your hand.

Challenge: Another card that gives continuous card advantage. Or, another card that will help keep you alive. Bonus points for both.

Jormengand
2016-05-17, 08:45 AM
Angelic Wisdom//Dormant Divinity is... odd, but I like the Instants Matter enchantment theme you have going on.

The sole angelic wisdom is... not great. Heroes' Reuinion+Cantrip should be about 2WG for 7 life and a card, and you're unlikely to have enough cards for that to be any better.

Cantercycle is 3UU per card for repeatable draw, and comparing practically anything that draws cards... it's not worth it by a long shot.

Upper Hand 3WU
Enchantment - R
Whenever an opponent draws a card, draw a card unless that player controls a permanent called "Upper Hand".
Whenever an opponent gains life, you gain that much life unless that player controls a permanent called "Upper Hand".

Next: Another white-blue card that isn't Azorius-related.

somethingrandom
2016-05-17, 09:49 AM
The power of this card varies wildly depending on what sort of deck you are playing against but I would tend to think that most of the time you will be effectivly be drawing 1 extra card per turn. Which seams kind of weak for 5 mana in 2 colors

Caelumnos Lord of the Skys 3WU
Creature - Elemental R
Flying
Other cretures you control with flying get +1/+1
Cretures your opponants control lose flying and cannot gain flying
3/3

Challange: make something that doesn't like instant or sorcerys

Blue Ghost
2016-05-17, 01:25 PM
Pretty nice card. A good flying lord, functional and flavorful. But lots of spelling and grammar issues that really hurt readability. Also, named characters should be legendary. Should be formatted like:

Caelumnos, Lord of the Skies 3WU
Legendary Creature - Elemental R
Flying
Other creatures you control with flying get +1/+1.
Creatures your opponents control lose flying and cannot gain flying.
3/3

Ivy Order Zealot 2GG
Creature - Human Warrior (U)
Hexproof
Whenever an opponent casts an instant or sorcery spell, put a +1/+1 counter on Ivy Order Zealot.
"We will not rest until the taint of sorcery is purged and the world is pristine once more."
3/3

Next: Another Ivy Order card.

r2d2go
2016-05-17, 01:54 PM
Seems like a perfectly reasonable uncommon. Not much to say - it's limited fodder, but good limited fodder.

Ivy Order Constrictor 1GG
Creature - Human Shaman R
When ~ enters the battlefield, exile target instant or sorcery in a graveyard. Spells with the same name as the exiled card can't be cast.
3/2

Challenge: Another 3/2 for 3, or another card that inhibits some alternate casting methods.

Ionbound
2016-05-17, 01:59 PM
Seems really powerful. Probably decent for 2GG, but even then with Hexproof and pumping from your opponent playing Magic, it seems like it might be a little too good.

Ivy Order Castigator-2WG

Creature-Human Warrior-R

Flash, Hexproof

When ~ enters the battlefield, exile target creature that has been targeted by an instant or sorcery this turn.

Those who would use foul magics will soon feel our wrath. ~Alexia, Ivy Order Pontiff

2/2

Challenge! Make the legendary creature in this flavor text: Alexia, Ivy Order Pontiff

Blue Ghost
2016-05-17, 03:16 PM
Ivy Order Constrictor: Restricting casting spells is a white ability, and the card with its reactive nature feels very white. But I quite like the idea. It punishes without being too oppressive. Maybe expand it to any noncreature nonland card, so it has a wider range of utility.

Ivy Order Castigator: I guess the intention is to punish combat tricks. But combat tricks aren't something you can rely on a player to have, especially in constructed, unless this is a very unusual environment. It feels like the more common use case would be to combo with your own instants and sorceries, which doesn't mesh well with the flavor.

All the Ivy Order cards so far have been reactive, which makes sense, but a deck should have a proactive strategy of its own.

Alexia, Ivy Order Pontiff 3GW
Legendary Creature - Human Cleric (M)
Creature tokens you control get +1/+1 and have hexproof.
Whenever a creature token enters the battlefield under your control, you may destroy target artifact or enchantment.
3/5

Next: A card for a faction that opposes the Ivy Order.

Jormengand
2016-05-17, 03:28 PM
Mana costs are written in WUBRG order (or X1CWUPBRGS order). But anyway: it's a nice token anthem but with a lot of sideboardable hate thrown in, except that you can almost afford to mainboard it. It looks like it might be a bit powerful.

Iron Legion Warlord 3U
When Iron Legion Warlord enters the battlefield, draw a card.
Whenever an artifact you control dies, exile all creatures, then return them to the battlefield under their owner's control.
2/4

Next: Another Iron Legion card.

r2d2go
2016-05-17, 03:41 PM
Mana costs are written in WUBRG order (or X1CWUPBRGS order). But anyway: it's a nice token anthem but with a lot of sideboardable hate thrown in, except that you can almost afford to mainboard it. It looks like it might be a bit powerful.

Iron Legion Warlord 3U
When Iron Legion Warlord enters the battlefield, draw a card.
Whenever an artifact you control dies, exile all creatures, then return them to the battlefield under their owner's control.
2/4

Next: Another Iron Legion card.

Usually, only creatures die. But otherwise, it's probably fine - strong, and maybe more red/blue than straight blue, but it's thematic and reasonable enough.

Iron Legionaire 2R
Implanted (When ~ enters the battlefield, put a Implant artifact equipment token with "Equip 1" onto the battlefield attached to it.)
~ gets +1/+1 for each equipment attached to it.
2/1

Challenge: Another common keyword showcaser.

Blue Ghost
2016-05-17, 03:53 PM
Mana costs are written in WUBRG order (or X1CWUPBRGS order).

G actually appears before W in mana costs (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=368944). The rule is that costs appear in the order they appear on the color wheel, going counterclockwise.

I'm not too fond of having a bunch of tokens floating around that do nothing by themselves. It raises complexity a lot, since the function of the tokens would presumably be different on different cards that use them (otherwise they'd have their own ability).

Vanguard Myrmidon 1R
Creature - Human Soldier (C)
Formation (Whenever this creature attacks, it gets +1/+0 until end of turn for each other attacking creature you control.)
1/2

Next: Something that uses an unconventional resource.

Jormengand
2016-05-17, 04:24 PM
Decent keyword, alright common. Not much to say.

Nemesis Engine 4
Artifact - MR
Return target creature you don't own from the graveyard to the battlefield under its owner's control, T: Add X mana in any combination of colours to your mana pool, where X is that creature's converted mana cost.
Fueled by the eternal rage of our enemies.

Next: Another engine with a similar ability.

r2d2go
2016-05-17, 05:01 PM
That's long line to be before T. I think you normally put non-mana costs after the T (search Gatherer for {T} for some examples not too far down). Other than that... Seems potentially really broken, since you can add your mana to the mana generated by their dude. Playing this turn 4, then turn 5 playing an 8 drop by resurrecting a 3 drop seems strong. I'd like it better if it actually created nemeses - Something like "T, return target creature you don't own with converted mana cost X from the graveyard to the battlefield: Search your deck for a creature with converted mana cost X. Put it onto the battlefield."

Sycophant Gathering 4WB
Enchantment - R
Whenever a nontoken creature enters the battlefield, put X 1/1 white human creature token onto the battlefield, where X is that creature's converted mana cost.
Sacrifice a creature: Target creature you control gains protection from a color of your choice until end of turn.

Challenge: Another card that creates and expends the same resource.

somethingrandom
2016-05-18, 05:55 AM
Pretty nice card. A good flying lord, functional and flavorful. But lots of spelling and grammar issues that really hurt readability. Also, named characters should be legendary.

I ment to make it legendary but forgot and when I realizedit was not a good time to post. I will try to watch my grammer and spelling in future.

Also I realy like the Ivy Order series

Sycophant Gathering 4WB
Enchantment - R
Whenever a nontoken creature enters the battlefield, put X 1/1 white human creature token onto the battlefield, where X is that creature's converted mana cost.
Sacrifice a creature: Target creature you control gains protection from a color of your choice until end of turn.

Challenge: Another card that creates and expends the same resource.

I am not sure how to judge this card I certainly find it's first ability scarier than it's second I think it would be very easy to get a ridiculous number of token creatures with this card fairly quickly.

Mugus of Life and Flame 1(G/W)R
Creature - Human Wizard R
(G/W)T:Gain 1 life
R Pay 1 Life: Deal 1 damage to target creature or player
1/1

Challange: Create a plane card for Theros or Takier (Planechase) or if you don't like that create a land.

Blue Ghost
2016-05-18, 12:56 PM
I'd rather have a regular pinger that doesn't cost mana and life most of the time. Being able to gain life instead of pinging is such a marginal benefit. But an underpowered card could have a place in a set. It's disappointing at rare, but could work at uncommon, especially in a multicolor set where there's no expectation that every gold uncommon will be powerful.

Kolaghan Encampment
Plane - Tarkir
All creatures have haste and attack each turn if able.
{Chaos}: You may put a creature card from your hand onto the battlefield. Return it to your hand at the beginning of the next end step.

Next: Another supplemental product card. (Plane, Scheme, Conspiracy, or something else of your devising.)

Ealon
2016-05-18, 01:15 PM
I like it. The chaos interacts with the plane nicely without messing you over too hard if you are just rolling just to planeswalk away.

If SOI had Conspiracy:

Hidden agenda (Start the game with this conspiracy face down in the command zone and secretly name a card. You may turn this conspiracy face up any time and reveal the chosen name.)
Non-land cards you own with the chosen name that isn't on the battlefield has madness. The madness cost is equal to its mana cost.

Challenge: Make a card that could fit in SOI (Uses the set mechanics, using one of the five tribal themes, etc.)

Dr.Gunsforhands
2016-05-19, 11:59 PM
You didn't naaaame it! A conspiracy needs a good name if you want it to be fun! From a purely mechanical standpoint, yeah, this is an entertaining card for the parallel universe where a Conspiracy set has a discard theme. Well, save for the verb conjugation errors anyway. But, what are you conspiring to do? What does it meeeean??

Definitely Probably Nothing 5
Artifact - R
When Definitely Probably Nothing enters the battlefield, investigate twice.
Whenever an artifact you control leaves the battlefield, target opponent exiles a permanent he or she controls.
"Why do my sheep have tentacles?"
"Don't worry about it."

Welp, We're Dead 9WB
Instant - MR
End the turn. Then, the game ends in a draw.
If you did not cast Welp, We're Dead from your hand by paying its mana cost in full, you lose the next game you would play.

I Actually Don't Like Innistrad Very Much 1RG
Enchantment - R
Non-human Werewolf creatures you control get +2/+2 and have trample. (As though they weren't bonkers enough already.)
"AWOOOOOOOOO!"

Not Even This Person Can Make It Feel Better CC
Planeswalker - Tamiyo
+2: You lose the game
-1: Discard your hand
-12: Do absolutely nothing
Loyalty: 0

Challenge! Think of a deck that you consider un-fun to play against, and make a card that counters it. Try to make the counter feel specific without going overboard.

r2d2go
2016-05-20, 12:27 AM
You didn't naaaame it! A conspiracy needs a good name if you want it to be fun! From a purely mechanical standpoint, yeah, this is an entertaining card for the parallel universe where a Conspiracy set has a discard theme. Well, save for the verb conjugation errors anyway. But, what are you conspiring to do? What does it meeeean??

Definitely Probably Nothing 5
Artifact - R
When Definitely Probably Nothing enters the battlefield, investigate twice.
Whenever an artifact you control leaves the battlefield, target opponent exiles a permanent he or she controls.
"Why do my sheep have tentacles?"
"Don't worry about it."

Challenge! Think of a deck that you consider un-fun to play against, and make a card that counters it. Try to make the counter feel specific without going overboard.

It seems really silly, and really slow. I can see it maybe being a very slow win con for a control deck, but it'd have to cost less and do less to be actually playable (maybe 3-4 mana, one investigation).

Flamedrinker Adept WUR
Creature - Efreeti Monk
Flying, Vigilance
Whenever a player would take noncombat damage, prevent 1 of it, then put a +1/+1 counter on ~.
X, T, Remove X +1/+1 counters from ~: Deal X damage to target creature or player.
2/2

Challenge: Another card that could fit into a Standard set. Or, another card that converts one thing to another. Bonus points for both.

Fortuna
2016-05-22, 12:34 AM
So obviously it's anti-burn tech, although honestly it's actually not very good at it - it draws a bolt and dies. What's notable is, of course, that it's really designed to go in a control deck that's splashing some burn, where it's an interesting role-player the primary flaw of which is that it has to drop early or it never triggers.

Temur Flamebinder RUG
Creature - Human Shaman U
Exile an instant or sorcery spell you control: Put an X/X colourless Elemental creature token into play, where X is the converted mana cost of the exiled spell.
3/3

Challenge: Make another card that makes Elemental tokens.

Blue Ghost
2016-05-22, 01:47 AM
Another use of Nivmagus Elemental tech. That's a card that not everyone likes, but hits just the right notes for some people. This brings a new take on it, with a card that's much more expensive and harder to cast, but with a much bigger payoff. I really like it. Might be better at rare though.

Chandra's Invocation 3R
Sorcery (C)
Put two 3/1 red Elemental creature tokens with haste onto the battlefield. Exile them at the beginning of the next end step.
Surge 1R

Next: An artifact associated with a planeswalker.

braveheart
2016-05-22, 04:15 AM
It fits, and is at a perfectly reasonable and even useable power level

Garruk's Axe 1BG
Legendary Artifact - Equipment - M
Equip 3
Equiped Creature gets +3/+3, trample, and is unblockable when attacking a Planeswalker.
When one touches this tainted blade, they feel it's owner's rage and power

Make a creature that interacts with artifacts in some way

Fortuna
2016-05-22, 04:19 AM
Garruk's Axe 1BG
Equip 3
Equiped Creature gets +3/+3, trample, and is unblockable when attacking a Planeswalker.

Psst. You're meant to critique the card above you, and set a challenge for the person after.

ericgrau
2016-05-22, 11:08 AM
Garruk's Axe 1BG
Equip 3

Make a creature that interacts with artifacts in some way

So in most cases the equipped creature auto-kills a planeswalker once a turn. Though it is still strictly worse than full unblockability. Reminds me of Loxodon Warmhammer, but with planeswalker killing and some toughness instead of lifelink. Seems fair.

Contraption Smasher 2GR
(Art: A shaman riding a very large armored beast)
Creature - Beast Shaman U
If ~ would deal combat damage to a player who controls an artifact, prevent that damage and destroy target artifact controlled by that player.
4/4

Challenge: Make a new ferret (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Discussion.aspx?multiverseid=184592) that works well with Joven (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Discussion.aspx?multiverseid=3006). Bonus points for nerdy flavor.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2016-05-23, 09:04 AM
Technically, you would want the creature type to be that of the shaman, not of the beast he has trained... but in this case, what you really want is for it to be an easily-distracted beast and not a shaman. This card's fun! It could probably have gotten away with being one color or the other, and it might make more sense to have the defending player sacrifice the artifact, but there is a certain charm to a beast repeatedly ramming its head into a Darksteel Ingot when it's supposed to be hitting your opponent.

Chandler's Ferrets R
Creature - Ferret C
R, Sacrifice Chandler's Ferrets: Destroy target artifact creature.
1/1

Challenge! Make a new Brushwagg (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=3377). Either a tamed one, or an especially surly one.

r2d2go
2016-05-23, 08:55 PM
Seems quite specific, but it's not bad. Strong if it blows something up, at least.

Brushwagg Brute 3GG
Creature - Brushwagg U
Trample
Whenever ~ blocks or is blocked, it gets -3/+3 until end of turn.
3GG - ~'s power becomes equal to its toughness until end of turn.
4/5

Challenge: Another creature that can take advantage of its own drawback. Or, a simple creature. Bonus points for both.

braveheart
2016-05-25, 06:57 PM
That's a pretty strong brushwag, and everything seems to fall in about the right strength

Sanctom Screecher 3BB
Creature - horror - U
Flying
When ~ enters the battlefield each player must sacrifice a creature.
When ~ dies add BBBB your mans pool
3/3

Another creature that adds mana to your pool when it dies

Ninjaman
2016-05-26, 12:47 AM
It can be used as an edict effect that only leaves you down one mana, that seems too strong. The body is also probably too strong for the abilities. I am also very scared of it with birthing pod like effects. Cool design otherwise.

Firestarter Shaman - 1R
Creature - Elf Shaman - U
When Firestarter Shaman dies, add RRR to your mana pool.
2/1

Another 2/1 for 2

r2d2go
2016-05-26, 01:45 AM
Given the prominence of sacrifice effects in red (second to black and no other), this seems a little too strong. If you do manage to sacrifice it (especially if it costs 0), you're up more than most rituals by a significant amount, 2-3 usually rather than 1-2. This can probably get you an easy 7 mana turn 4, or 11 mana turn 5 with two of 'em. I'd make it add RR, because even if that makes it constructed weak or unplayable, it's better than risking too much power.

Akroan Veteran 1W
When Akroan Veteran dies, put a 1/1 white soldier token onto the battlefield.
I have no family, boy. You're all the legacy I've got.
2/1

Challenge: Another veteran, or another creature that does something when it dies. Bonus points for both.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2016-05-27, 11:46 PM
The veteran is a very fair card. Old man dies, new man takes up old man's mantle. Stickiness makes for a high-priority common. Throw it in the set and print it!

Weathered Rococo 2(w/b)
When this creature dies, each opponent gains 2 life.
"Only two more weeks 'til retirement!"
4/2

Challenge! Make... a green three-drop using hybrid mana.

BasketOfPuppies
2016-05-27, 11:57 PM
I don't see how this is Black. Other than that, this is a solid card that seems ripe for some synergy stuff. Give it first strike or buff toughness, both of which White does, and you've got a really solid limited creature.

Gitrog Angler 1 (G/B)(G/B)
Creature- Fish Horror U
Whenever a land card is put into your graveyard, you may put a +1/+1 counter on Gitrog Angler.
1/1

Make a curse that you'd sometimes want to cast on yourself and sometimes want to cast on others.

Ninjaman
2016-05-28, 06:34 AM
Needs to state from where the card come from, being everywhere would be fine, it then needs to read "
Whenever a land card is put into your graveyard from anywhere, you may put a +1/+1 counter on Gitrog Angler." It is quite good if you can mill lands into your graveyard, but that is fine for an uncommon.

Curse of Rage - 2R
Enchantment -Curse - R
Enchant Player
At the beginning of enchanted player's upkeep, Curse of Rage deals 2 damage to that player.
Creatures Enchanted player controls have haste.

Make another Rare enchantment.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2016-05-28, 07:23 PM
Curse of Rage is a little weird, but that's not a bad thing. It makes sense that it would be used for the damage most of the time, but either configuration's drawback can come back to bite you if you don't close out the game quickly. I don't think that any major Spikes are going to get too excited, but it would fit perfectly in a theme deck and is comedy gold in multiplayer.

Elemental Conscription 3UUR
Enchantment - Aura R
Enchant Creature
When Elemental Conscription enters the battlefield, untap enchanted creature.
You control enchanted creature. It has flying and haste.

Challenge! Make a card that's best played in multiples.

Sgt. Cookie
2016-05-28, 10:05 PM
Sooo Mind Control+? The Red influence with Haste is pretty clear. Looks like a decent card, by my reckoning.

Blue Jussdad Elemental 1UU
Instant Creature - Jussdad Water U
Whenever Blue Jussdad Elemental enters the battlefield, add U to your mana pool for each Blue Jussdad Elemental you control. (This ability counts the Jussdad that has just entered the battlefield.)
2/2

Your challenge! Make another pun-based card.

Jormengand
2016-05-29, 07:53 AM
You want it to be a creature with flash. Instant creatures don't exist because they both are and aren't permanents. Anyway, it's a bit too powerful: 3-mana draw two cards without a body is powerful enough, and a 2/2 cantrip for 3 is also powerful enough. If you only get one out at a time, they're decent. If you drop four of them, they're insane.

Woods of the Djinn
Land R
T, discard a card: Add G to your mana pool. Put a 1/1 blue genie token onto the battlefield under your control. Put a charge counter on Woods of the Djinn.
Remove 5 charge counters from Woods of the Djinn: transform Woods of the Djinn.
/
Drink of Gin (U/G colour indicator)
Enchantment R
Sacrifice Drink of Gin: Add UUUGGG to your mana pool.

Unfortunately the pun only works in French, and the card itself is weird, which is what you get when you try to base a card around a weird pun. Ugh, can we just...

Fiery, the Mental 3RRR
Legendary Creature - Elemental R
T: Fiery, the Mental deals 4 damage to a random creature or player. Repeat this process until Fiery, the Mental deals lethal damage to itself (Even if it's indestructible or can't leave the battlefield).
4/5

Much better.

Next: Make another elemental.

Blue Ghost
2016-05-29, 05:34 PM
The amount of randomness that MTG should have is a matter of taste, but for me, this is too much. It radically alters the field in an unpredictable way, and that's going to make a lot of matches down to luck. People complain about Hearthstone being too random, and while some people prefer it that way, I think Magic should stay away from huge random effects like this. Also, the logistics of choosing multiple random targets in a physical game would be really annoying.

http://i1283.photobucket.com/albums/a560/BlueGhostITP/Multicolor/Soulspark%20Incarnum_zpsceem40br.png

Next: A blue/green card that's not affiliated with Simic.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2016-05-29, 08:32 PM
Oh hey, it's a lightspawn (http://static.icy-veins.com/images/hearthstone/192-lightspawn.png). :smalltongue: I like the idea of this card a lot, actually - a lightning elemental that can also block for a turn. Wizards uses stuff called Incarnum in some of its other fantasy franchises, and it seems to mean something different each time, so I'm guessing it has some new meaning here, too.

Selkiora 2(u/g)(u/g)
Planeswalker - Kiora MR
+1: Until end of turn, target creature gains, "whenever this creature deals combat damage to a player, you may draw a card."
-3: Return up to one target artifact and up to one target enchantment to their owners' hands.
-8: You gain an emblem with, "You may play any number of lands on each of your turns," and, "Whenever you play a land, you may draw a card."
Loyalty: 3

Challenge! Make a trailblazing adventurer!

Jormengand
2016-05-30, 05:55 PM
Hmm. It's a card that synergises with... evasion, landfall and doublestrike? Is that common? Whatever. The artifact and enchantment hate - and not even very good artifact and enchantment hate - is weird, but whatever. I just wonder what Selkiora is really for. Also, neither monoblue nor monogreen should be able to do all that.

Blazing Scout R
Creature - Elemental Scout U
Flamestorm 1 (Whenever an instant or sorcery spell you control would deal damage, it deals 1 more damage)
At the end of your turn, sacrifice blazing scout.
Those who guide the way are destined to burn in the fires that light it.
1/1

Next: Another creature with an ability that's been used before in one of these threads but doesn't exist yet in the game.

Ninjaman
2016-05-31, 03:23 AM
Play this before grapeshot in modern storm. Flamestorm will never be a keyword and that's a good thing, because it is too hard to make it generally usable without just breaking it in some situations.

Ugh, now I have to look through the thread to find an ability.

Goblin Tactician - 1R
Creature - Goblin - U
Formation (Whenever this creature attacks, it gets +1/+0 until end of turn for each other attacking creature you control.)
Goblin creatures you control attack each turn.
2/2

Another goblin that swings for lots of damage.

braveheart
2016-05-31, 12:49 PM
I love it, flavor by mechanics is always fun, and it's actually a decent card too, maybe it should be RRor 2R because of how strong the plus side can get

Bonk, the big Goblin 4R
Legendary Creature - Ogre - R
Trample
when ~ enters the battlefield, put a +1/+1 counter on him for each goblin that died this turn
~ is a goblin in addition to its other types
"You hurt Bonk brothers. Bonk bonk you"-Bonk the big Goblin
4/4

Blue Ghost
2016-05-31, 01:15 PM
"Is a X in addition to its other types" is obsolete wording from back in the day when creatures weren't allowed to have more than one printed type. Nowadays, this would just be an Ogre Goblin.
Might have memory issues, since creatures dying isn't something that you normally track when there isn't something on the battlefield that calls for it, even in a single turn. An opponent who doesn't know you have this won't be keeping track of how many goblins died.

No challenge posted, so random submission.

http://i1283.photobucket.com/albums/a560/BlueGhostITP/White/Glimmer%20of%20Hope_zps1bg1vdyz.png

Next: A three-color card that's not tied to an existing faction in Magic lore.

braveheart
2016-05-31, 02:46 PM
I'm aware of the ability for cards to have more than one type, i put it that way intentionally to point out that it's an ogre that thinks it's a goblin

as for your card, I'd cost it at least 1 mana more and perhaps a stronger color weight as well, because at 3 mana it could simply mean that you win the game in a lot of formats, by the way, magic defines "win" as each opponent losing, so just saying that you cannot lose the game prevents the game from ending if your opponent achieves an alternate win condition, the only difference would be in a multiplayer game (3 or more) if an opponent "wins" then everyone except you and the one who wins would be eliminated from the game

Wizened Devil 3UBR
Creature - Devil - R
Flying
Whenever a creature you control dies, you may draw a card, if you do, pay 1 life or discard a card
Whenever a creature you control deals combat damage to an opponent ~ deals 1 damage to target creature that player controls.
5/5

something in white and green

Fortuna
2016-06-02, 01:16 PM
It's pretty much a hodgepodge of on-colour stuff. There's really no coherent identity to it at all. It works, I guess.

Sage Beast 2WG
Creature - Beast R
Convoke
When Sage Beast enters the battlefield, draw a card.
2/4
Elusive and rare, the Sage Beasts are said to know a thousand wisdoms apiece, which they will share if you can catch them.

Challenge! Make something from Arthurian lore, or make a creature with an activated ability that costs something other than tapping or mana. Bonus points for both.

Ionbound
2016-06-02, 04:15 PM
That seems...Really crazy, if only as it's a very cheap cantripping 2/4, as it would be very easy for a go-wide strat to play this on turn 2, or later on for free. If it didn't have convoke, it would probably be fine, though.

The Questing Beast-2RRB

Legendary Creature-Beast-R

Deathtouch

When ~ enters the battlefield, choose one:

Destroy target creature
Gain control of target creature until end of turn. Untap that creature. It gains haste until end of turn.

2/4

Challenge! Create a card representing someone turning into a werewolf for the first time.

r2d2go
2016-06-03, 02:40 AM
I'm not so sure about the cohesiveness of those abilities, but the balance is fine. I assume since this is based on a different lore that there's a reason for those specific abilities. Also, I think it's more black than red (destroy target creature is black, and black is much more prone to bottom heavy statlines) - I might just make it 3RB and call it a day. Overall, it's a fine card, it just feels awkward. A bit like a Roborosewater card.

Fresh Meat Vendor R
Creature - Human Werewolf U
Whenever an opponent casts a spell during your turn, ~ gets +1/+0 until end of turn.
At the beginning of each upkeep, if no spells were cast last turn, transform ~.
People have started commenting on his overly rare steaks...
1/1

Fresh Meat Omega
Creature - Werewolf U
Whenever an opponent casts a spell during your turn, creatures you control get +1/+0 until end of turn.
At the beginning of each upkeep, if a player cast two or more spells, transform ~.
At least he's got new friends who agree.
2/2

Challenge: Another transform card with one word changed between the sides. Or, another card that gets strictly stronger somehow. Bonus points for both.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2016-06-03, 11:13 AM
It's probably playable as a conditional 2/2 for 1. If your opponent is casting a spell during your turn, chances are that either combat is already over or she's killing one of your dudes. I'd say that it could help squeeze in a couple points of damage to make up for losing an attacker, but an opponent can dodge that by just using her removal on her own turn, which against Werewolves is probably a good idea anyway. I guess it makes defensive combat tricks slightly worse, and gives you a small consolation prize after an Essence Scatter? It seems balanced enough, but none of those functions really scream, "Meat Salesman," to me.

Vampyromancer 1RR
Creature - Vampire Shaman R
R, T: this creature deals 1 damage to target creature. When that creature dies this turn, transform this creature.
The technique is actually quite painful, but the smell it produces is positively intoxicating.
1/1

--

Crazed Bloodboiler
Creature - Vampire Shaman
R, T: this creature deals 3 damage to target creature.
1/1

Edit: Let me know how adding the same transform clause to the Bloodboiler feels as an alternate execution.

Challenge! Burn spell! Common! Vampire-themed! Go!

Warmatt
2016-06-03, 11:10 PM
Now, this particular vampire reminds me of a transforming ogre that did the exact same thing, including the transform... but turned into a 3/4 legendary? Overall, a nice, if fragile source of burning.

Blood Funnel 1BR
Instant- C

Deal 2 damage to target creature. If it is a human, deal 3 damage instead. Place a +1/+1 counter on target Vampire.
Morbid- If a creature died this turn, target vampire gains Lifelink until the end of the turn.
Who says you need to be close to get the blood?

Challenge; A Colorless or Snow permanent.... bonus points for both.

braveheart
2016-06-04, 11:56 AM
Is the +1/+1 counter intended to go to the sabe vamp as the Lifelink, because as is this card can do 3 different things to 3 different creatures, which while mechanically viable is rather uncommon, and it should have at least that rarity, also the morbid effect cannot be triggered on the damage one, it can only be implemented by previous spell's, abilities or combat, combat being the most common which would minimize the usefulness of the Lifelink

Cryonator XS
Artifact - U
~ enters the battlefield with X charge counters in it
T, Remove a charge counter:Tap target creature, it doesn't untap durring it's controller's next untap step.

Something with gravity warping in the flavor

Dr.Gunsforhands
2016-06-04, 01:25 PM
You forgot to give it the Snow supertype. :smalltongue: Other than that, between the X in its cost, its effectiveness as colorless removal and its snow dependency, it probably needs to be a rare. I kind of want to know what this thing looks like. "Cryonator," sounds like an Izzet card, but that seems wrong for the context... All I can think of is a lightning rod that attracts big blobs of snow instead of lightning.

Cloud Canopy 2G
In a foggy, groundless jungle, a group of patrolling Avens flies into an ambush.
Enchantment - R
Creatures without flying can block creatures with flying.
Creatures with flying can't block creatures without flying.
1U: Target creature gains flying until end of turn.

Challenge! A creature that lives in a tower!

Jormengand
2016-06-04, 03:14 PM
Pretty much what I had in mind when I saw the challenge. Green is weird until you remember it has all the anti-flying stuff. Clever, clever, I like it.

Studious Archmage 3UR
Creature - Human Wizard R
Whenever you cast an artifact spell, you may cast target instant or sorcery spell in your graveyard with a lower converted mana cost. Then exile that instant or sorcery card.
2/3

Next: Another card which requires at least two card types other than its own to function properly and doesn't have delirium.

ben-zayb
2016-06-04, 03:34 PM
The correct template would be "...sorcery spell with a lower converted mana cost from your graveyard." Flashback-generator tacked on an artificer-ish creature seems fresh.

Expedition Archaelogist 2UU
Creature - Human Artificer (U)
Landfall-Whenever a land enters the battlefield under your control, you may pay XXUU. If you do, search your library for an artifact with converted mana cost X, reveal it, put it into your hand, and shuffle your library afterwards.
2/2

Make another card based on a profession that isn't (or is barely) explored by M:tG.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2016-06-04, 07:18 PM
Well, that's... a tutor. I'm not altogether sure what to make of it in terms of power. Archaeology sounds more like graveyard exploitation to me, but I can see the argument for using libraries instead; you're supposed to be discovering stuff in whichever land you just played. Unless it's in an environment where that ability is important or extra-intuitive, I'd probably have it look for an artifact in the top few cards of your library, or even just draw a card. After all, good explorers don't already know what they're going to find!

Space Plumber 2U
Creature - Moonfolk C
Flying
U, T: Target creature gets -2/-0 until end of turn
1/3

Challenge! Ghirapur, AKA "the plane with the constructs and thopter tokens," is going to have a set soonish! But what kind of GREEN card would fit into a place like that?

Fortuna
2016-06-04, 07:39 PM
That surely is a blue common. Unexciting, although the potential for combat tricks maybe cranks up board complexity a little more than is desirable for a common.

Rustcoat Bear 1G
Creature - Bear C
When Rustcoat Bear blocks or is blocked by an artifact creature, that creature gets -1/-1 until end of turn.
2/2
The naturally corrosive claws of the forest bears make them a serious danger to infrastructure.

Challenge! A black uncommon enchantment with CMC 4.

Warmatt
2016-06-04, 08:21 PM
A very nice debuff bear, able to wear down or outright destroy little tokens that it can reach, making it bearly a fight :smalltongue:

Dark Awakening 2BB
Enchantment- Aura UC
Enchant target creature. It is a Black Vampire in addition to it's other creature types.
Enchanted Creature has Lifelink and 'When enchanted creature deals combat damage, place a +1/+1 counter on enchanted creature'.
Vampires, always thirsty and the more they drink? The harder it is to put them back in the grave......

Dr.Gunsforhands
2016-06-05, 12:36 AM
Hey! You heard the thread title: Don't make functional reprints. (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=9684) :smalltongue:

Okay, to be fair, Awakening isn't just a nerfed Embrace. You're granting lifelink instead of flying, granting a creature type in a set that cares about Vampires, and rewording the +1/+1 ability so you don't have to kill creatures to get it to work. It's low-impact when you first play it, so your opponent might take advantage of the two-for-one before it does anything interesting. You might want to make a cheaper version if you just want to quick turn something into a Vampire for the Lifelink and creature type. Still, it ramps up more easily than its predecessor if you can buy enough time, so someone out there will still want this. You don't need the word, 'target,' in the Enchant Creature ability, though, at least not in English.

Wasting Away 3B
Enchantment - Aura U
Enchant Creature
At the beginning of enchanted creature's controller's upkeep, that player sacrifices it unless he or she pays 5 life.

Challenge! Make a white weenie that's clearly meant for a mono-white deck of some sort.

Warmatt
2016-06-05, 03:34 AM
Did not know about Embrace to be honest :smallredface: Just went with 'make it a vampire, and give it the iconic abilities, drink blood and profit'.

And a nice little thing, that would either be removal, or combo with some vampire decks, with a good possibility of removal.

Union Boss WWW
Creature- Human Lord- UC
If your devotion to White is 6 or more, creatures you control with 2 or less power have first strike
T, W- Place a 1/1 White Human Mook token onto the field
'As in all unions, the big threat is in how many members the boss can call. And of course, if they have the numbers for a strike.'
1/2

Next challenge, a Colorless (ala Oath of the Gatewatch Waste Land) or Snow Permanent!

Ninjaman
2016-06-06, 01:25 PM
I think making it cost triple white was a kind of cheaty way of living up to the mono white challenge, and quite unnecessary. It is also too weak, compare to Thraben Doomsayer and Archetype of Courage. Also Mook is not a creature type, you probably want Human, though Citizen is technically a possibility.

Glacial Monstrosity - 2CC
Snow Creature - Eldrazi - U
When Glacial Monstrosity enters the battlefield, each player sacrifices a non-colorless non-snow creature.
Even with the last of the titans defeated his mark on the multiverse remained.
3/3

Another colorless creature with an ability that typically belongs to a color (black in this case)

Blue Ghost
2016-06-06, 01:49 PM
I'm not a fan of snow in general, and I especially don't think it should be combined with colorless mana. Colorless is already a special kind of mana in itself; trying to compound it with a second kind of special mana doesn't seem like it'll turn out well. Also, since colorless is generally more difficult to achieve than normal mana, I think this would work better requiring only a single colorless. And it should be "colored", not "non-colorless." Make those changes, and remove the snow element, and it'll be a pretty decent card.

Missile Drone 4
Artifact Creature - Thopter (C)
Flying
When Missile Drone enters the battlefield, it deals 2 damage to another target creature with flying.
2/3

Next: A card associated with an existing legendary creature.

Warmatt
2016-06-06, 02:11 PM
A nice little flying creature, that damages other fliers, and first into Americas 'if we don't kill them in person, it's all right!' mentality? I approve :smallbiggrin: Overall, a tough little thing, that you could play early on, and if the opposition only has one blocker in the skies..... It's a nice little thing.

Vengeance of Sek'Kuar XBR
Sorcery- R
Gravestorm
Deal X damage to target creature. If the creature that was damaged was placed in the graveyard, place a +1/+1 counter on all Graveborn Tokens.
Morbid- If a creature died this turn, Populate.
"He is the Deathkeeper (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=376488), and now he stands on the brink of unleashing his terrible vengeance against those that sought to cheat him of his due...." - Last words of a Paladin

Will say outright, yes, this a nasty little thing that triggers off his ability, but at least you have the one turn to deal with the minions.... unless you dedicated to just blasting things before the battle phase :smallbiggrin: After all, the more things you kill off, the more minions you have to work with, and the bigger this thing gets.

So, Challenge..... Something Necromancer inspired, but no vampires. At all.

Edit; And yes, this is meant to kill off your own creatures :smallamused: Remember his older flavor text? 'Karplusan Legend spoke of an Orc so cruel that he burned his own followers in a rage, and yet so revered that they rose from their pyres to serve him.' Kill off your allies in the first stage, and when they are all dead? Unleash vengeance, and watch your legions practically explode.

Eldan
2016-06-07, 10:48 AM
Well, it's very specialized. You have to play three colours to get Sekuar, which is already hard, and if you don't have him, this is pretty bad. I'm not sure we should make cards that limited. That said, if it works, it works.

Read the Bones 1BB

Sorcery

Scry X, where X is the combined number of creature cards in all graveyards.

Threshold - If there are seven or more cards in your graveyard, draw a card.

Challenge: another form of divination (in the real-world sense, not the card) that is not blue.

BasketOfPuppies
2016-06-07, 11:09 AM
Just something that I think that you may have overlooked: http://shop.tcgplayer.com/magic/duel-decks-zendikar-vs-eldrazi/read-the-bones

braveheart
2016-06-07, 11:10 AM
Read the bones is already a card name, and is in a very similar design space.

Stargazer 2UG
Creature- Centaur - U
At the begging of your end step scry 1
I have watched the stars and they have told me our future
3/3

Another centaur

Jormengand
2016-06-07, 11:56 AM
So, it's blue even though the challenge is not to make it blue, and green even though the effect is fine in monoblue? Uhm?

Charge Leader 4GG
Creature - Centaur Warrior R
Creatures you control have Trample and +1/+1.
4/4

Next: Another creature with an anthem or lord effect (X you control get Y).

Blue Ghost
2016-06-07, 01:52 PM
Current convention is for lord creatures to only grant their effect to other creatures, and have the bonus for themselves built in. Easier to understand that way, and same function. Green doesn't really get anthem effects; the only one I know of is Gaea's Anthem, which doesn't count because Planar Chaos weirdness. Gameplay-wise, is pretty good. We could use a general anthem effect on a creature.

Questing Knight 2W
Creature - Human Knight (R)
Vigilance
When a creature an opponent controls with power 4 or greater dies, transform Questing Knight.
2/2
///
Honored Prince
(W) Creature - Human
Vigilance
Other creatures you control get +1/+1 and have vigilance.
4/4

Next: Make a new version of an existing mechanic to solve one or more problems with that mechanic.

Sgt. Cookie
2016-06-07, 08:52 PM
Ensuring that a 4 power critter actually ends up dying might be a bit tough early, but other than that, seems like it'd be a nice card. Vigilance is a pretty standard White effect, after all.

Virulent Cobra 1G
Creature - Snake U
Deathtouch
Virulent Cobra has Venom. (This creature deals damage to players in the form of Venom counters. Whenever a player gains Venom counters, that player loses 1 life for each Venom counter he or she possesses. This loss of life cannot be prevented in any way. Each attack adds only one instance of Venom counters, regardless of power.)
2/1

(This is designed to be a new version of Poison counters, but isn't a case of "10=loss")

Make an equipment card with an Equip cost that ISN'T mana. (I.e, something like Murderer's Axe's equip cost of "Discard a card".

Dr.Gunsforhands
2016-06-07, 10:58 PM
...so, basically, "If this creature would deal combat damage to a player, instead that player loses that much life?" But... damage already causes loss of life. Did you mean for the new poison counters to tick up damage every turn? Because that would just be crazy powerful on an early creature like this. If you just want the counters to be a marker for a set-specific mechanic rather than a second life total, poison can still work for that. Just use the old Poisonous mechanic instead of infect, and don't stuff the set so choc-full of poison sources as the New Phyrexia block did.

Rival's Lance 3
Artifact - Equipment R
Equipped creature gets +2/+2 and has first strike.
Equip 5
Put 2 +1/+1 counters on a creature an opponent controls: attach Rival's Lance to target creature you control. Use this ability only any time you could cast a sorcery and only once each turn.

Challenge! A variant of Act of Treason.

Fortuna
2016-06-08, 01:34 AM
Interesting. I could almost see it in a tempo deck where you intend to bounce the creature you just buffed, except for the tempo cost of playing it in the first place. Likewise, a control deck would probably rather just run another piece of removal rather than buff a creature. Maybe in an unblockable-aggro deck, although at that point you'd just as well have +2/+2... combo with Akroan Horse, maybe? I'm not seeing who wants this, but I'd be interested to see someone who did.

Lost In Echoes 4RR
Sorcery - R
Exile target creature. Put two tokens that are copies of that creature onto the battlefield. Those tokens have haste. At the beginning of the next end step, exile those tokens and return the exiled creature to the battlefield under its owner's control.
"We are never so very far from a stronger, more savage self."
- Tak, Master of Passion

Challenge! Design an enchantment that makes token copies of something.

Sgt. Cookie
2016-06-08, 07:24 AM
...so, basically, "If this creature would deal combat damage to a player, instead that player loses that much life?" But... damage already causes loss of life.

The idea is closer to a slow buildup of damage (I forgot to insert the line that specified that. Will quickly update.). So, the first time Virulent Cobra attacks, you gain 2 Venom counters and lose 2 life, the second time it hits you, you gain 2 more and lose 4 life, third time is 6 and so on and so forth.

Think of it like Curse of Predation or Stensia Masquerade with their +1/+1 counters.

Blue Ghost
2016-06-08, 01:10 PM
Lost In Echoes 4RR
Sorcery - R
Exile target creature. Put two tokens that are copies of that creature onto the battlefield. Those tokens have haste. At the beginning of the next end step, exile those tokens and return the exiled creature to the battlefield under its owner's control.
"We are never so very far from a stronger, more savage self."
- Tak, Master of Passion

Challenge! Design an enchantment that makes token copies of something.

Red doesn't do temporary exile. Should add white or blue to let it do that. Other than that, this is a really sweet design. Functionally a Threaten effect that gives you double the creature. I really like this, and would be happy to see it printed.

Mirror's Temptation 4UUU
Enchantment - Aura (M)
Enchant creature
When Mirror's Temptation enters the battlefield, put a token onto the battlefield that's a copy of enchanted creature.
You control enchanted creature.

Next: A Curse.

Warmatt
2016-06-08, 02:21 PM
A card steal that doubles your stolen card? That is an awesome little card ^-^ And it looks great in most blues. High enough cost that you aren't spamming it early on, and can't use it to snag double legends, but overall full of awesome.

Curse of Competence 3B/WB/W
Enchantment- Curse R
Enchant Target player
Enchanted Player has 'When you would gain life, place that many -1/-1 counters divided among creatures you control. When creatures you control would gain a +1/+1 counter, you lose that much life.'
'Trust me, if you were incompetent, you would be in Management.'

And yes, that is a Dilbert Reference.

Next challenge! Another Dilbert Reference!

braveheart
2016-06-08, 02:33 PM
Steal a creature and get a copy, that price makes it just about right, I like the card, and would definitely run it in an edh deck

Curse of Defiance 3UU
Enchantment - Aura Curse - R
Enchant target player
Whenever enchanted player casts a spell any other player may pay (X)(Y), where X is the spell's converted mama cost, if you do counter that spell unless it's controler pays Y

Make a card that transforms into another card type

Dr.Gunsforhands
2016-06-08, 03:17 PM
Curse of Competence approaches Ambiguity levels of confusing, which might be appropriate if you intended it as a silver-bordered joke card.
Curse of Defiance is just mean. It's not quite Commander Erayo evil, but it's sure to be abused and make the game un-fun for all involved as both players sit on their butts doing nothing.

Phil, Prince of Insufficient Light 2(b/r)
Legendary Creature - Human Devil MR
If a player would gain life, that player instead gains half that much life, rounded down.
When Phil, Prince of Insufficient Life dies, cast it transformed without paying its mana cost.
3/2

--

Darnation
Sorcery
(This spell is red and black.)
Put a -1/-1 counter on each creature.

Challenge! 5/5 creature! Go!

Warmatt
2016-06-08, 03:30 PM
Curse of Competence essentially mimic s Dilbert style management. If the workers are doing well (getting +1/+1 counters), the player (the budget) loses life. If the company is doing well (player gaining life) you get a number of -1/-1 counters you have to divvy up among creatures you control. In other words, it punishes creatures for the player gaining life, and punishes the player for buffing their creatures.

Also, that is totally accurate, though in the nature of Dilbert, a B/W and Extort could probably have been added. And a nice way to combine them both.

Corporation 8CC
Enchantment Creature- Incarnate Demon R
Cumulative Upkeep; Sacrifice a Permanent
When ~ attacks, target player may sacrifice X lands, where X is equal to the number of Age Counters on ~. If they do not, ~ gains +x/+x and Trample, where X is the number of age counters on ~
Landfall- When a land you control enters the battlefield, place a copy token of ~ onto the field.
'It consumes all in it's path. Thankfully, the more intelligent people, those who do not live in so called civilization, do not have to worry about them. They are unwelcome in the real world after all.'
5/5

Next challenge; A Politician Parody

BasketOfPuppies
2016-06-08, 05:55 PM
That is definitely a corporation. I would take out the bit about getting more, since it could be hard to keep track of them, especially if you have other tokens on the board. You also don't need to define X twice.

Drumpf Wall 3WW
Legendary Creature- Wall R
When you cast ~, target opponent may pay mana equal to its converted mana cost. If they don't, put 5 white Soldier tokens onto the battlefield. If they do, untap up to 5 lands.
0/2

Make a mythic rare.

r2d2go
2016-06-08, 07:44 PM
That is definitely a corporation. I would take out the bit about getting more, since it could be hard to keep track of them, especially if you have other tokens on the board. You also don't need to define X twice.

Drumpf Wall 3WW
Legendary Creature- Wall R
When you cast ~, target opponent may pay mana equal to its converted mana cost. If they don't, put 5 white Soldier tokens onto the battlefield. If they do, untap up to 5 lands.
0/2

Make a mythic rare.

Seems a little too strong. It's either a 0/2 and a 10 mana swing for 5 mana, or 6 guys for 5 mana, both of which is too powerful. Now, normally I'd say they're not so strong that the option for either balances it, but the problem is that unlike, say, Vexing Devil, the both options are really strong early game, while the second gets weaker late. I like the symmetry, but it might be better if you didn't untap 5 lands if your opponent pays.

Ancient Ancestor 2RG
Creature - Werewolf Human MR
Hexproof
Whenever a player casts the first spell of each turn, ~ deals 3 damage to them and 3 damage to itself.
At the beginning of each upkeep, if no player cast a spell last turn, transform ~.
3/4

Ascendant Beast
Creature - Werewolf
Trample
Whenever a player casts the second spell of each turn, ~ deals 6 damage to them and 6 damage to itself.
At the beginning of each upkeep, if a player cast 2 or more spells last turn, transform ~.
6/8

Challenge: Another card that alliterates. Or, another card that self-synergizes. Bonus point sfor both.

Sgt. Cookie
2016-06-09, 01:22 PM
Hm... For starters, I don't see much green influence, but the red is there, clear as day. On the other hand, I really don't see this card doing much beyond being big and scary saying "NO SPELLS FOR YOU!". It's effect makes blocking/attacking with it quite a risky proposition. It's a nice fatty for its price. But it's a VERY risky fatty.

Corpse Rat 1B
Creature - Zombie Rat ((U/R? Not sure what to peg this as.))
Corpse Rat's power and toughness are each equal to the number of creatures named Corpse Rat you control.
T, Exile a creature card from any graveyard: Place a token creature onto the battlefield that is a copy of Corpse Rat. You may activate this ability even when Corpse Rat is in the Graveyard. Activate this ability only once per turn for each creature named Corpse Rat you control.
*/*

Your challenge! Make a creature that makes lands do something OTHER than become Land Creatures.

Svata
2016-06-09, 01:48 PM
(sorry, I'm bad with names)
Elf of the High Groves 1GG
Creature- Elf Druid

Whenever you tap a land for mana, add G to your mana pool

1/2

Is that good?

BasketOfPuppies
2016-06-09, 02:17 PM
(sorry, I'm bad with names)
Elf of the High Groves 1GG
Creature- Elf Druid

Whenever you tap a land for mana, add G to your mana pool

1/2

Is that good?

You forgot to critique and to add a challenge.

Corpse Rat seems much too powerful, thanks to its exponential growth and graveyard recursion. When it's in the graveyard, how do you activate the ability, since cards in the yard don't tap? Take out the graveyard clause and maybe then this'll be playable.

Elf of the High Groves is insane. A T2 drop that doubles all of your land's mana in green. I'd scoop instantly if I wasn't playing a creature removal deck of this hits the battlefield. This needs to cost much, much more or significantly limit the number of lands effected.
EDIT: it also needs a rarity.

Whirling Blade Wheel 4
Artifact Creature- U
Whenever ~ attacks, it deals 1 damage to defending player or target creature defending player controls
"Stand back, you definitely don't want to be the first person to attack it. Or the last. Or anywhere in the middle. You know what? You should probably just run."
2/2

Challenge! Another uncommon.

Blue Ghost
2016-06-09, 03:09 PM
Whirling Blade Wheel is interesting. At 2/2, it's likely too fragile to get much mileage out of its ability, but it can create some interesting combat situations. I think it could be fair at 3 mana. I'd like to see it at common, though perhaps the possibility of repeated pinging and combat complications preclude that.
Needs a creature type. Construct?

http://i1283.photobucket.com/albums/a560/BlueGhostITP/Black/Fellfrost%20Wendigo_zps8ne2yvh3.png

Next: Something based on the last book you've read.

braveheart
2016-06-09, 03:26 PM
It's good, and printable, without change ing anything else on the card it would still be printable with one more power or toughness, (not both) but it's still good as is

Thousand Nights Tales W
Enchantment - U
When ~ enters be batlefield put a story counter on it
Whenever a player casts a spell put a story counter on ~
At the beginning of each player's upkeep remove a story counter from ~, if there are no more story counters on ~ sacrafice it, and exile target permanent
"I have no more stories" - the concubines last words

Something based on your favorite book

Svata
2016-06-09, 03:59 PM
You forgot to critique and to add a challenge.

Corpse Rat seems much too powerful, thanks to its exponential growth and graveyard recursion. When it's in the graveyard, how do you activate the ability, since cards in the yard don't tap? Take out the graveyard clause and maybe then this'll be playable.

Elf of the High Groves is insane. A T2 drop that doubles all of your land's mana in green. I'd scoop instantly if I wasn't playing a creature removal deck of this hits the battlefield. This needs to cost much, much more or significantly limit the number of lands effected.
EDIT: it also needs a rarity.

Whirling Blade Wheel 4
Artifact Creature- U
Whenever ~ attacks, it deals 1 damage to defending player or target creature defending player controls
"Stand back, you definitely don't want to be the first person to attack it. Or the last. Or anywhere in the middle. You know what? You should probably just run."
2/2

Challenge! Another uncommon.

Sorry, forgot that. New to this. It'd probably be a rare. Would costing 1GGG be better, or does it need to be costed in such a way as to make it largely unplayable from it (outside of a really rampy deck or EDH)? I was thinking 1GG would be okay because ramp is green's thing, and that'd be similar to a green Crypt Ghast for 1 less that required a steeper color commitment, and Crypt Ghast is generally considered kinda meh.

r2d2go
2016-06-09, 04:17 PM
Seems like anti-werewolf tech. Or, I guess, spell-light deck the (but who does that?). Right now, however, it looks like it just automatically sacrifices itself at the beginning of the next ten and is insanely powerful. If you meant the sacrifice clause to be "if you can't, sacrifice...", on the other hand... balanced enough, if on the weak side. If think it'd simplify and balance things if it were simply "Whenever a player casts a spell, put a story counter on ~. Cumulative Upkeep: Remove a story counter from ~. When ~ is sacrificed, exile target permanent."

Edit @ above: Crypt Ghast is in black, which isn't ramping (minus Dark Ritual, but that's mostly banned). Green, you can consistently drop a 1GG card turn 2, and then use the 7 mana you have turn 3 efficiently (many fatties fall under the 6-7 range). Compare that to Crypt Ghast, which generally only gets you to big mana (10) by turn 5, and then can't even use it that well (not enough to Death's Grasp for lethal, too much for most black fatties).

Lamb 2WW
Legendary Creature - Spirit R
Lifelink
1WB, T, Discard a card: Exile target nonland permanent. Transform ~.
Tell me again, little Lamb, what things are ours to take?
3/4

Wolf
Legendary Creature - Spirit R
Menace
1WB, T, Discard a card: Target creature gets -5/-5 until end of turn. Transform ~.
"All things, dear Wolf."
4/3

Challenge: Another transform card where the second half is arguably worse. Or, another card that an be used offensively or defensively.

Sgt. Cookie
2016-06-09, 04:49 PM
So... it flips between exiling things and killing them outright for a hefty Discard cost. It's... interesting. It's GREAT Madness fuel, though, so it has that going for it. An Exile every other turn is scary enough that this critter would be smashed practically as soon as it hits the battlefield. I can understand WHY this is a Legendary Creature, but surely "Activate this ability only once per turn" would achieve the same effect?

Sword Automa 4
Artefact Creature - Soldier
You may have Sword Automa enter play Transformed.
Whenever Sword Automa becomes blocked, it gets +2/+0 until end of turn.
Sword Automa attacks each turn if able.
0, Transform Sword Automa. You may only activate this ability if this creature has not transformed this turn.
3/3
////////////////////////////////
Shield Automa
Artifact Creature - Soldier
Defender
Whenever Shield Automa blocks, it gets +0/+2 until end of turn.
0, Transform Shield Automa. You may only activate this ability if this creature has not transformed this turn.
3/3

Challenge! A card that relies on Devotion to Colourless.

Jormengand
2016-06-09, 05:16 PM
It's decent, but I'd take out the first line - after all, you can activate the transform the first turn it comes down anyway - and probably make both sides 2/2, or maybe 3/3.

I have no idea if devotion to colourless is actually a thing, but if not, we can always define it, just like a new keyword.

Lekasha, Deity of Naught 3C
Legendary Enchantment Creature - God R
Indestructible
As long as your devotion to colourless is less than 5, Lekasha isn't a creature.
Whenever a card would enter a graveyard from anywhere except from exile, exile it instead.
3/3

Next: Make a creature with a new keyword.

r2d2go
2016-06-09, 06:14 PM
I feel like gods are meant to be Mythic Rare and appropriately made that way. If this wasn't a God, I'd be 100% on board with it - but it is a God, and so I wish it had something like "(cost involving C), move a card target player owns from exile to their graveyard: (do something cool)". It's alright though.

Blade Trooper 3
Creature - Golem U
Charge RR (Whenever ~ or another creature enters the battlefield, you may pay ~'s charge cost. If you do, put a charge counter on that creature.)
Remove a Charge counter from ~: ~ gains First Strike and Haste until end of turn.
4/2

Challenge: Another card with an ability that synergizes with other creatures with the same ability. Or, another card with a new keyword. Bonus points for both.

Blue Ghost
2016-06-09, 06:28 PM
Using charge counters instead of +1/+1 counters for creatures for a block is an interesting idea. It'll definitely be very parasitic, but while parasitism is a downside, it's not a deal-breaker. The simplest implementation for commons would be to have creatures with a static ability when they have a charge counter. Such creatures would be able to charge immediately if they have the mana, or charge later, which actually seems like it'll be quite fun. More complex implementations like this could work as well, but you'd need to be careful not to do too many different things with charge counters, because the complexity can ramp up quickly.
I wonder if you could do the same thing with +1/+1 counters. It would solve the parasitism problem, but would be a lot more developmentally dangerous as well. I think it'd be worth trying.
Would all charge creatures be artifacts? Would they be colorless? This seems like a mechanic that would require a high as-fan to work, and if it were restricted to colorless artifact creatures, that might be too much for a limited environment. I think it makes sense to go on nonartifact creatures as well, if the setting is high-tech enough.
First strike, haste, and charge counters should not be capitalized.

Sludge Manta 1UB
Creature - Fish (U)
When Sludge Manta enters the battlefield, pollute. (Put a pollution counter on target land. Whenever a land with a pollution counter is tapped for mana, its controller loses 1 life.)
Whenever a land with a pollution counter becomes tapped, it doesn't untap during its controller's next untap step.
3/2

Next: Another Fish.

Fortuna
2016-06-09, 06:51 PM
Yeouch, really? 1CD for a 3/2 flier is reasonably respectable. Its ability amounts to half-destroying a land, and synergizes painfully with other pollute. I think this needs to cost 2UB or be a rare - possibly both. Also, pollute is almost impossible to remove; I might consider making it "Whenever a land with a pollution counter is tapped for mana, if a permanent with pollute is in play, ....".

Delgar Carrier 3BB
Creature - Zombie Fish R
Whenever a non-token creature dies, you may exile it under Delgar Carrier.
Other creatures you control have "T, put a card exiled with Delgar Carrier into its owner's graveyard: Put a black 2/2 Zombie creature token into play."
When Delgar Carrier leaves play, put each card exiled with it into its owner's graveyard.
3/6

Challenge: The Delgar are blue and black necromantic merfolk. Make another Delgar card. For bonus points, make it an enchantment.

braveheart
2016-06-09, 06:54 PM
The fact that you are making that a keyword implies a set with a lot of it, and pollution counters seem like they'd lead to a toxic (lol) play environment, aside from that land disruption is usually considered unfun, and while it is valid and works mechanically, I don't like what this card would imply about its set.

Guardian Blowfish 2UB
Creature - Fish - U
~ can block an additional creature each combat
When ~ dies destroy each creature that damaged it this turn
1/5

Make a creature that has an on death trigger

Ealon
2016-06-09, 07:10 PM
Delgar Carrier:
Interesting card, overall it works but I don't understand why the complexity of giving your other creatures the activated ability is needed. The card itself cold be doing the zombie processing and the card will work just fine.

EDIT: Oh, it's carrying the bodies, I guess I see the flavor now but I feel like the activated ability could still use tuning.

Guardian Blowfish:
Big Blockers are Blockers. Overall fair in Limited

Shaman of the Polluted River 2UB
Creature - Fish Shaman - U
Deathtouch
Other Fish you control gain +1/+1 and "When this creature dies, Target opponent's creature gain -2/-2 until end of turn.
2/2

Can we please stop making the comment that every other self-discard effect is a "Good or Bad" Madness enabler? Madness is a very obscure mechanic that sees little to no play in eternal formats and is fringe in current standard. The only really good madness cards where printed back in Torment and those cards on only played in Pauper where there are REALLY good enablers (I'm looking at you, Tortured Existence). If the card it meant to be drafted with madness in the set, say so; otherwise, don't assume the words "Discard a card" means "Madness a thing".

Challenge: Make a card that uses 0/1 white Goat tokens in some way.