PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Jester 9th Level Spellcasting

Bobby Baratheon
2016-02-19, 02:48 AM
I'm thinking about making a Jester as my backup character. Some of the class features are a little underwhelming, but there's definitely some value there. However, I'm not big on sixth level spellcasting. I prefer to play full casters when I'm playing a caster (which, to be fair, is always). What are the possible ways for a Jester to get ninth level casting? Only ones that are readily coming to mind are Ur-priest and Prestige Bard/Sublime Chord, but I'm sure there are other ways. What do you guys got?

Graypairofsocks
2016-02-19, 03:00 AM
I'm thinking about making a Jester as my backup character. Some of the class features are a little underwhelming, but there's definitely some value there. However, I'm not big on sixth level spellcasting. I prefer to play full casters when I'm playing a caster (which, to be fair, is always). What are the possible ways for a Jester to get ninth level casting? Only ones that are readily coming to mind are Ur-priest and Prestige Bard/Sublime Chord, but I'm sure there are other ways. What do you guys got?

There is the Apostle of Peace PrC from "Book of Exalted Deeds".
It grants 9th level spellcasting, however it requires all these feats: Sacred Vow, Vow of Poverty, Vow of Nonviolence, Vow of Peace.

Bobby Baratheon
2016-02-19, 03:12 AM
I'm going for more of an evil jester. I'm considering swiftblade to make him a garishly colored blur of wisecracking death. Like Cicero on speed.

Troacctid
2016-02-19, 03:15 AM
Swiftblade does technically get you a 9th level spell, I suppose.

Nar Demonbinder gets you 8ths. That's pretty close. And there's also Divine Crusader if you can swing the BAB prerequisite.

Bobby Baratheon
2016-02-19, 03:22 AM
Nar Demonbinder would work really well, especially if I use to Otyugh hole to pay the Iron Will feat tax. Only problem is getting Summon Monster, and I could probably get away with just buying a Summon Monster I knowstone. One problem would be that as a jester, I wouldn't have access to level 4 spells until level 10. I'm sure an early entry trick could solve that.

I wonder if I'd be better off just playing a sorcerer that dresses and acts like a jester, but I play sorcerers a lot already.

Graypairofsocks
2016-02-19, 03:28 AM
If you take the Improved Spell Capacity (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/feats.htm#improvedSpellCapacity) Epic feat 3 times and select Jester, then you can gain 9th level spell slots (not spells known) for the jester class.
However that probably isn't useful for you.

Here are two PrCs from "Complete Divine" which grant 9th level divine spells :

The Blighter PrC eventually gives access 9th level spells, but its spell list is small and you need to be an Ex-druid who was capable of casting 3rd level spells.

The Divine Crusader PrC can cast up to 9th level spells, but their spell list is limited to one domain that their deity grants.

Vaz
2016-02-19, 03:48 AM
Swiftblade does technically get you a 9th level spell, I suppose.

Nar Demonbinder gets you 8ths. That's pretty close. And there's also Divine Crusader if you can swing the BAB prerequisite.

Nar Demobinder, Versatile Spellcaster and Bloodline Feats give you 9ths.

Grod_The_Giant
2016-02-19, 03:10 PM
This many posts and no-one's mentioned Sublime Chord? You need a level of bard (or Spellsinger, if you want to waste two feats instead of a caster level), but that's not hard.

torrasque666
2016-02-19, 03:12 PM
This many posts and no-one's mentioned Sublime Chord? You need a level of bard (or Spellsinger, if you want to waste two feats instead of a caster level), but that's not hard.
Mentioned in the first post actually.

Grod_The_Giant
2016-02-19, 03:14 PM
Mentioned in the first post actually.
Derp. That's what I get for posting while distracted. Sorry, Bobby Baratheon.

golem1972
2016-02-19, 03:50 PM
Maybe Bard into Sublime Chord and/or Ur-Priest and play as a jester? Are there any of the Jesters mechanics that you can't live without or fluff around?

Hiro Quester
2016-02-19, 04:07 PM
Could you convince your DM to let you refluff a bard chassis with jester performance flavor?

Jester into SC is practically impossible, because of cross-class skill requirements (knowledge:arcana and listen).

But a bard whose performances were refluffed as jester performances might be cool enough for a DM to allow.

Pyromancer999
2016-02-19, 06:30 PM
This link may be of use to you. Looks like all options that grant 9th except Beholder Mage(unavailable to you except with extreme cheese) have been mentioned. Nar Demonbinder, which was previously mentioned, seems to fit with the infernal feel you want.

Also, depending on how much the mechanics of the Jester are important to you, you may want to consider a dip in Jester, then enough levels of another class to help give the 9th level spells.

Bobby Baratheon
2016-02-19, 08:12 PM
I'm debating whether I should just make a prestige jester (exactly like the prestige bard but with jester abilities), smooth talk my DM, and just go in as a sorc/prestige jester/whatever I want. If not, jester/nar demonbinder seems to be the best option, especially with a little cheese sprinkled on top to get ninth levels.

Troacctid
2016-02-19, 08:17 PM
Prestige Jester seems like it would be easy enough to model after the Prestige Bard.

There's also the Jester's Magic feat from City of Splendors: Waterdeep. It doesn't do a ton, but it's flavorful.

Extra Anchovies
2016-02-19, 08:20 PM
Prestige Jester seems like it would be easy enough to model after the Prestige Bard.

Prestige Jester would probably be the best way to do this, yeah.

There's also the Jester's Magic feat from City of Splendors: Waterdeep. It doesn't do a ton, but it's flavorful.

You might also want to consider Spell Thematics [Assorted Pies, Checkered Clothing, and Silly Hats With Little Jingly Bells On Them] :smalltongue:

Bobby Baratheon
2016-02-21, 03:35 AM
Perhaps Craft (mirth) could be a class skill for the Prestige Jester? :smalltongue: