PDA

View Full Version : How do i go about building two weapon fighting build

Sir cryosin
2016-02-19, 01:18 PM
I would like to pick people's brains on this one how can I build a two weapon fighter build that keeps up with the rest of the party it doesn't have to out shine. I know it won't but it still needs to keep up.

swrider
2016-02-19, 01:53 PM
I would like to pick people's brains on this one how can I build a two weapon fighter build that keeps up with the rest of the party it doesn't have to out shine. I know it won't but it still needs to keep up.

I've been considering a two weapon fighter variant human with the two weapon fighting feat. He would use two versatile weapons dealing 1d8 damage each.

Additionally I was going to take one level in warlock so he could cast the Hex feat which deals an extra 1d6 damage when you hit the opponent and can be shifted as a bonus action to a new enemy when you drop the first below 0 hp.

so warlock 1/ fighter 2
1st round bonus action->Hex Move->close on target Attack-> one weapon for 1d8+2+Str+1d6

2nd round attack->1d8+2+Str+1d6 Action surge-> 1d8+2+Str+1d6
Bonus action->1d8+2 (two weapon fighting style)+str( two weapon feat)+1d6

So in round two you would be doing (assuming a str modifier of 3) 2d8+10+3d6 damage.

You can only cast hex once per short rest but it has no save and lasts for an hour.

Oramac
2016-02-19, 01:57 PM
If I were you, I'd take at least 3 Rogue for the Swashbuckler features, and pick up the Two-Weapon Fighting Feat.

This way you can attack with both weapons and still move around without provoking OA's from the targets you attacked. Sucks you won't be able to use Cunning Action, but such is life.

MadBear
2016-02-19, 02:10 PM
The biggest reason (although not the only reason) that TWF falls behind other style's is due to other ways to get a bonus action attack. A TWF will get to make 2 attacks that deal 1d8+str. A greatsword wielding fighter with polearm expert will make one attack dealing 2d6+str and another dealing 1d4+str. Even a sword and board with shield bash will get to knock an opponent down and swing with advantage for 1d8+2+str.

Keep in mind these other classes can also dip for hex/hunters mark/etc. and end up with the same result.

With all of that said, a pure TWF fighter will still output enough DPR to contribute to a group in a meaningful way. The only time I've noticed it to be a problem is if your group has another DPR dealing class that will outshine yours.

edit: Not a greatsword, it's not eligible. In a hurry I mistyped. Replace great-sword with applicable polearm.

Foxhound438
2016-02-19, 03:07 PM
Level one fighter, take 2wf style, all other levels in paladin, end up with 3 attacks at 2d8+str each. Paladin 2 get defense style to have AC 20 without magic items. Grab divine favor so you can cast that as your first bonus action in combat, swing 4d8+2d4+10 right off, then 6d8+3d4+15 later. That's kind of high level you would see that much damage (~12) but it's good to start and great when you get there. Probably get fighter 2 eventually for action surge, maybe even 3 for improved crit (made super good with smites)

Honestly a bit worse than PAM paladin, but if 2wf is what you want it's definitely an option.

PoeticDwarf
2016-02-19, 03:09 PM
The biggest reason (although not the only reason) that TWF falls behind other style's is due to other ways to get a bonus action attack. A TWF will get to make 2 attacks that deal 1d8+str. A greatsword wielding fighter with polearm expert will make one attack dealing 2d6+str and another dealing 1d4+str. Even a sword and board with shield bash will get to knock an opponent down and swing with advantage for 1d8+2+str.

Keep in mind these other classes can also dip for hex/hunters mark/etc. and end up with the same result.

With all of that said, a pure TWF fighter will still output enough DPR to contribute to a group in a meaningful way. The only time I've noticed it to be a problem is if your group has another DPR dealing class that will outshine yours.

First, with polearm master you can't use a greatsword. Second; only for figthers it's worse but as you said it isn't that weak

Foxhound438
2016-02-19, 03:11 PM
The biggest reason (although not the only reason) A greatsword wielding fighter with polearm expert will make one attack dealing 2d6+str and another dealing 1d4+str.

wat?

polearm master requires that you use... a polearm...

Foxhound438
2016-02-19, 03:17 PM
i would also add that monk is a fine option for psuedo 2wf, although your hp will suffer a bit. scales better than other classes later on (3d10+15 instead of 3d8+15) and when damage reeeally needs to be pushed you can go for a full 4 attacks with hex from magic initiate or hunter's mark/divine favor from multiclassing.

MadBear
2016-02-19, 03:26 PM
First, with polearm master you can't use a greatsword. Second; only for figthers it's worse but as you said it isn't that weak

sorry meant halberd/polearm/etc.