PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Need help replacing our BSF with Lesser Planar Binding/Ally

Azoth
2016-02-19, 02:38 PM
Okay, so last session the player of the party beatstick rage quit the group for losing a fight he tried to solo that was well above our CR but winable if we came at it as a group. This has left our current party composition hurting as we are mid mission on something time sensitive, so we can't easily just go back to town and grab an NPC currently.

The party consists of myself an early entry (DM allowed) Mystic Theurge specializing in BFC, an Enchantment focused Fey Bloodline Kitsune Sorcerer, an Elan Lifeleech Sadist Vitalists, and a Hidden Blade Rogue (Mithral Current and Veiled Moon focused).

We are level 10, and realized that due to our typical means of fighting not having a dedicated BSF means that melee is left to a rather squishy rogue who is best used to spike damage high value targets.

The Sorcerer and I can lesser planar bind/planar ally to get some temporary muscle to last us until we finish our job, but I am having trouble finding anything worth the cost to use as a meatshield. The best I have found is the Half Fiend Minotaur.

Does anyone know of some decent 6HD or less outsiders that can be melee brutes? They just need to be good enough to make them worthwhile delivery systems for the Enchanter's buffs.

CockroachTeaParty
2016-02-19, 03:00 PM
I'd take a look at Nightmares or Shadow Mastiffs. Both are reasonably tanky, with 51 hp each and a base AC of 18-19. The Mastiff is faster on the ground with a single nasty bite attack that trips, and it has a better Will save and Power Attack, while the Nightmare can fly, has a slightly better full attack routine, and releases a debuff smoke.

You'll probably want to avoid the Mastiff's bay attack, as it is non-discriminatory.

If those are too evil, the Hound Archon is another decent option, with decent DR, okay SR, and better SLA's. It only has 39 hp, though, so if something gets through its defenses it's more likely to drop.

Geddy2112
2016-02-19, 03:33 PM
In the same vein of a hound archon/shadow mastiff, a cayhound is basically a chaotic good shadow mastiff. It can direct its bark, and it can dimensional door/attack.

Azoth
2016-02-19, 04:20 PM
Okay, DM just opened up some new options to me. He has said that since the list of options for binding/ally include creatures not normally outsiders that have the half fiend/celestial templates applied to them to make them outsiders, I can use any creature that has 6HD or less and just apply either template to it.

Helluin
2016-02-19, 05:39 PM
In that case, a celestial Flame Drake might be a good option if you are not dealing with cold-themed enemies?

Segev
2016-02-19, 05:49 PM
Have you considered the humble hound archon (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/archon.htm#houndArchon)? They are only 6 HD, but their Aura of Menace might get a few enemies, and they make excellent scouts with your rogue, having a racial bonus to hide and survival in canine form and a message spell-like ability at will that they can use to facilitate quite communication.

They're reasonably tanky for a 6 HD monster; I know that's not much by level 10, but with two of them, the action economy might make up for the loss of the fighter. Buff them well to keep them alive.