PDA

View Full Version : hellbred

geekintheground
2016-02-19, 05:23 PM
this is a really confusing... race? is it a template or a race? like, if im a human and become a hellbred, do i keep my bonus feat? do i keep spent skill points? do i keep getting extra skill points?

ComaVision
2016-02-19, 05:25 PM
this is a really confusing... race? is it a template or a race? like, if im a human and become a hellbred, do i keep my bonus feat? do i keep spent skill points? do i keep getting extra skill points?

It's a race that sounds like a template, kind of like Elan. You were something else but you have no hold-overs from it.

Nashira
2016-02-19, 06:22 PM
Not a template, but you do keep the language list of your previous race.

Necroticplague
2016-02-19, 06:28 PM

Race, no, no. It used to be something else in the same way an Elan is, in that it haws pretty much no mechanics leftover from what you used to be. Regardless of your base, you're a medium humanoid. The only thing you carry over is languages.

Eloel
2016-02-19, 06:32 PM
While at it, Illumians are on the same boat, right?

Troacctid
2016-02-19, 06:42 PM
While at it, Illumians are on the same boat, right?

Not exactly. That's how the Illumian race originated, but they can reproduce naturally. The Ritual of Words Made Flesh (used to transform a human into an Illumian) was hidden away long ago and is no longer in use, so if you're an Illumian, you were probably born that way.

The last Illumian created via the ritual, according to legend, was a bard named Kaodei. It's said that the ritual was altered to make him ageless, and he still wanders the earth doing good deeds.

OldTrees1
2016-02-19, 06:50 PM
Hellbred, Spellscale, & Dragonborn (listing order was intentional) all act very similar. They each retain something from before the transformation while wiping everything else clean. Hellbred retains the least (languages known and maybe a favored class IIRC).

Coidzor
2016-02-19, 07:48 PM
Daelkyr Halfbloods are similar, but even more total.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?323220-Creepiness-in-the-Daelkyr-Half-Blood-race

geekintheground
2016-02-19, 10:30 PM
thanks for clearing this up guys. is this a common problem, or did my brain just decide to shut down while reading this race?

Nashira
2016-02-20, 01:22 AM
Hellbred, Spellscale, & Dragonborn (listing order was intentional) all act very similar. They each retain something from before the transformation while wiping everything else clean. Hellbred retains the least (languages known and maybe a favored class IIRC).

Hellbred favored class is paladin.

Tiri
2016-02-20, 03:36 AM

Actually, no. Spellscale is a race by itself, not a transformation from anything, and Dragonborn is no more similar than any other template.

Troacctid
2016-02-20, 03:48 AM
Actually, no. Spellscale is a race by itself, not a transformation from anything, and Dragonborn is no more similar than any other template.

You're both right: Spellscale is a race by itself, and they reproduce naturally, but you can also perform a ritual to transform into one. It's called the Rite of Spellscale Assumption, and it's on page 31 of Races of the Dragon.