PDA

View Full Version : Regarding Cloakers

Syrinth
2016-02-19, 05:30 PM
Question regarding Cloakers, and more specifically their Unnerving Moan. From the SRD:

Moan (Ex)
A cloaker can emit a dangerous subsonic moan as a standard action. By changing the frequency, the cloaker can cause one of four effects. Cloakers are immune to these sonic, mind-affecting attacks. Unless otherwise specified, a creature that successfully saves against one of these effects cannot be affected by the same moan effect from the same cloaker for 24 hours. All save DCs for moan effects are Charisma-based.

Unnerve
Anyone within a 60-foot spread automatically takes a -2 penalty on attack and damage rolls. Those forced to hear the moan for more than 6 consecutive rounds must succeed on a DC 15 Will save or enter a trance, unable to attack or defend themselves until the moaning stops.

Fear
Anyone within a 30-foot spread must succeed on a DC 15 Will save or become panicked for 2 rounds.

Nausea
Anyone in a 30-foot cone must succeed on a DC 15 Fortitude save or be overcome by nausea and weakness.

Affected characters fall prone and become nauseated for 1d4+1 rounds.

Stupor
A single creature within 30 feet of the cloaker must succeed on a DC 15 Fortitude save or be affected as though by a hold monster spell for 5 rounds. Even after a successful save, the creature must repeat the save if the cloaker uses this effect again.

Several questions follow:
1) Does the unnerve form of the moan only function while the cloaker continues to use the unnerve moan? So, if there is a single cloaker, it moans once to unnerve and then attacks and there is no more penalty on the original subjects?
2) Does the unnerve form work for any moan once it is in a trance?
3) It is listed as being subsonic, so I would assume that there is no penalty for it afflicting the party with moans while hiding before attacking them?

Thanks a lot. I think I know the answer, just wanted some confirmations.

Droopy McCool
2016-02-22, 12:50 AM
1) Well, while I do not have any solid evidence backing this up, I would say: yes, the effect only lasts while the Cloaker continues to moan with this particular effect in mind. Furthermore, I would venture a guess that the penalties last until the start of the Cloakers next turn, so unless it has two standard actions, it couldn't use an Unnerving Moan and attack in the same round.

2) I don't actually get what you're trying to ask here. :smallconfused:

3) I don't think this would be covered by any rule specifically. I imagine it could moan while hanging on a wall without revealing itself (or taking a penalty?) then spring into action when found.

Hopefully you either figured it out already or this helps. Rewording the second question might help for an answer. However, it is possible I'm having a brain fart.

McCool