PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Class Rage Fighter class

JPlayah
2016-02-19, 07:00 PM
Rage Fighter

This is an alternative fighter/barbarian class which I made to explore anger as a double-edged sword rather than just a bunch of bonuses with a slight drawback.

Alignment: Any non-lawful.
Hit Die: d10.
Starting Gold: 150 gp.
Starting Age: Simple.

Table: The Rage Fighter
Hit die: d10

Level

Base
Attack Bonus

Saving Throws

Special

Maximum Anger Points

Fort

Ref

Will

1st

+1

+2

+0

+0

Berserker Rage 1/day

2nd

+2

+3

+0

+0

Bonus Feat

3rd

+3

+3

+1

+1

Berserker Speed

4th

+4

+4

+1

+1

Berserker Rage 2/day, Bonus Feat

5th

+5

+4

+1

+1

6th

+6/+1

+5

+2

+2

Berserker Strength

7th

+7/+2

+5

+2

+2

Berserker Rage 3/day

8th

+8/+3

+6

+2

+2

Bonus Feat

9th

+9/+4

+6

+3

+3

Berserker Will

10th

+10/+5

+7

+3

+3

Berserker Rage 4/day

11th

+11/+6/+1

+7

+3

+3

12th

+12/+7/+2

+8

+4

+4

Bonus Feat

13th

+13/+8/+3

+8

+4

+4

Berserker Rage 5/day

14th

+14/+9/+4

+9

+4

+4

15th

+15/+10/+5

+9

+5

+5

16th

+16/+11/+6/+1

+10

+5

+5

Berserker Rage 6/day, Bonus Feat

17th

+17/+12/+7/+2

+10

+5

+5

18th

+18/+13/+8/+3

+11

+6

+6

19th

+19/+14/+9/+4

+11

+6

+6

Berserker Rage 7/day

20th

+20/+15/+10/+5

+12

+6

+6

Bonus Feat

Class Skills (2 + Int modifier per level, ×4 at 1st level): Balance (Dex), Climb (Str), Concentration (Con), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Listen (Wis), Profession (Wis), Ride (Dex), Sense Motive (Wis), Spot (Wis), Swim (Str).

Class FeaturesAll the following are class features of the rage fighter.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Rage fighters are proficient with all simple weapons and martial melee weapons, with light and medium armor, and with shields (except tower shields).

Berserker Rage (Ex): As a free action at the beginning of his turn, a rage fighter can begin a berserker rage, which lasts for a number of rounds equal to his class level + his Constitution bonus. While the berserker rage lasts, the rage fighter gains 1 anger point per round (including the round in which he activates this ability), up to a maximum number given in his class table. Each anger point gives the rage fighter a +1 bonus on melee damage rolls, but imposes a -1 penalty to his AC. In addition, the following effects apply while the rage fighter has at least the specified number of anger points:

Minimum Anger Points

Effect

The rage fighter gains a +2 bonus on Will saves.

The rage fighter gains damage reduction 2/-.

The rage fighter’s melee attacks hit so hard that they deal untyped damage, bypassing all damage reduction. However, the rage fighter also deals 1 point of damage to himself each time he hits with a melee attack. This damage cannot be reduced by any means.

The rage fighter strikes with such force that all of his melee attacks become melee touch attacks. However, the rage fighter deals 1 additional point of damage to himself each time he hits with a melee attack. This damage cannot be reduced by any means.

The rage fighter remains conscious and able to act normally even when reduced to 0 hit points or less. All damage that would reduce the rage fighter to less than -9 hit points reduces him to -9 hit points instead.

Once the rage fighter’s berserker rage ends, he immediately loses all anger points and all effects gained by having anger points, and he becomes fatigued for 1 minute. During this time, the rage fighter cannot activate a berserker rage. The rage fighter can enter a berserker rage once per day at 1st level, and an additional time per day at every 3 class levels after 1st.

Bonus Feat: At 2nd level and every 4 class levels, a rage fighter gains a feat that he qualifies for, chosen from the list of fighter bonus feats.

Berserker Speed (Ex): Beginning at 3rd level, a rage fighter’s base movement speed increases by 10 while he is in a berserker rage.

Berserker Strength (Ex): Beginning at 6th level, a rage fighter gains a +4 bonus on all Strength-based checks while he is in a berserker rage, including grapple checks.

Berserker Will (Ex): Beginning at 9th level, a rage fighter becomes immune to effects which calm emotions as well as charm, compulsion, and fear effects while he is in a berserker rage.

JNAProductions
2016-02-19, 07:07 PM
One issue I see.

You take up to two points of damage per attack. However, when that happens, you also have DR 2/-. So net result is no damage.

JPlayah
2016-02-19, 08:05 PM
One issue I see.

You take up to two points of damage per attack. However, when that happens, you also have DR 2/-. So net result is no damage.

Damage reduction can reduce bludgeoning, piercing, or slashing damage. This is untyped damage. My intention was that the damage taken from your own attacks is damage that can't be prevented. I'll fix that in the description.

JNAProductions
2016-02-19, 08:08 PM
Just something I noticed. I'm not a 3E expert, so maybe it doesn't interact like that, but it appears to to me.

Edit: I asked my 3E experts (Illven and AvatarVecna) and they said:

DR applies to any source of damage that isnt a spell, SLA, supernatural ability, or energy based.

Which means yeah, you need a special note saying your damage from attacking bypasses it.

Edit II-Electric Boogaloo: You added a note that it bypasses DR. Yup, all checks out to my untrained eyes.