PDA

View Full Version : Comic Image Filenames

hobbes3
2007-06-17, 02:22 PM
Just out of curiosity, why are all the early comics's image filename neatly named like oots0012.gif (for the 12th comic), whereas the recent comics are all named with random letters and numbers like JzZUaM8xC1t8vHdBCw8.gif (for the 464th comic)?

CardinalFang
2007-06-17, 02:29 PM
I noticed that too, and couldn't think of any reason why. I suppose it might have to do with some change to the uploading/updating system that happened behind the scenes, but it seems like a very odd change to make. I mean, when Rich creates the files on his computer, he probably names them normally, so why mess with it?

hobbes3
2007-06-17, 02:32 PM
I'm guessing it's some sort of a hash?

mohair_ninja
2007-06-17, 02:52 PM
Maybe it's because Rich sometimes makes several strips in a row, and he doesn't use any straightforward filenames to keep them in secret? To create suspension? I doubt they're hashes, there's no reason for it.
Anyone who'll get the filename of OotS#500 before it's officially posted online, gets a free cookie! :smallsmile: Admins excluded, sorry...

Chronos
2007-06-17, 03:40 PM
My guess is that other sites were stealing the images without permission (as in, they had an IMG tag on their site which pointed here), so they could have the comic appear on their own pages and possibly take credit for them. A hashed filename would make it harder for them to automate this.

evileeyore
2007-06-17, 06:24 PM
Maybe it's because Rich sometimes makes several strips in a row, and he doesn't use any straightforward filenames to keep them in secret? To create suspension? I doubt they're hashes, there's no reason for it.
Anyone who'll get the filename of OotS#500 before it's officially posted online, gets a free cookie! :smallsmile: Admins excluded, sorry...There is a reason the comics are always late.... having them done in advance is not it....

I'd go with Chronos or CardinalFang's theories.

hobbes3
2007-06-18, 01:01 AM
My guess is that other sites were stealing the images without permission (as in, they had an IMG tag on their site which pointed here), so they could have the comic appear on their own pages and possibly take credit for them. A hashed filename would make it harder for them to automate this.

That makes the most sense, it would be easy to write a script that would take every comic if the filenames are in numerical order. I was just wondering since I have been keeping my own collection of Oots on my computer and now I have to rename every new comic heh.

PlasticSoldier
2007-06-18, 07:51 PM
That makes the most sense, it would be easy to write a script that would take every comic if the filenames are in numerical order. I was just wondering since I have been keeping my own collection of Oots on my computer and now I have to rename every new comic heh.

I had a idea like that but I didn't know if your allowed to save copryrighted material on your harddrive.

P.s. i love the Hobbes avatar.

Hel65
2007-06-18, 07:58 PM
I had a idea like that but I didn't know if your allowed to save copryrighted material on your harddrive.

When you open the webpage for comic viewing, the web browser autodownloads the image onto your harddrive. So, saving them yourself can't be illegal.

Lithgon the Crazy
2007-06-18, 08:37 PM
As long as you don't distribute the downloaded comic (for money or not) it is legal under Fair Use.

RobbyPants
2007-06-19, 03:21 PM
I'm guessing it's some sort of a hash?
A hash tree? Could be...