PDA

View Full Version : Need help with my illusionist

Za Boom
2016-02-19, 08:48 PM
I've been playing d&d 5e with my friends and I've created an illusionist. Now we're are a few sessions in and I've noticed I'm not the best illusionist. I've starting to get better at d&d and being a wizard but I need help with my specialization.

Level 3 Wizard

Str:10
Mod:+0
Dex:14
Mod:+2
Con:12
Mod:+1
Int:16
Mod:+3
Wiz:12
Mod:+1
Cha:11
Mod:+0

Cantrips:
Mending
fire bolt
minor illusion
light

1st level:
color spray
find familiar
comprehend languages
mage armor
alarm
detect magic
shield
burning hands

2nd level
I haven't picked yet but looking like it will be flaming sphere and misty step

So if you have any tips on spells to pick up or how to make the ones I have better. Also how to really make myself useful as an illusionist.

Azreal
2016-02-19, 11:31 PM
For your illusionist you ahould get silent image instead of flaming sphere.

Captbrannigan
2016-02-19, 11:52 PM
Being able to have sound and an image from minor illusion is a pretty sweet ability, I'd make sure to really milk that. Conjure an approaching warrior with his chainmail clinking as he walks. Lights and shouting from the distance, imitating an approaching mob.

Honestly, good luck with illusions. I have a hell of a time coming up with useful distractions in combat. My DM generally plays his monsters to know their surroundings, so most of the suggestions I hear wouldn't slow him down a bit. An illusion of a pit trap? Too bad they patrolled there this afternoon and haven't heard or seen a thing. An illusion of a rogue not quite hiding and lining up a shot with his shortbow? Not a more immediate threat than the other party members, esp. since it hasn't done any damage yet. Fog? Being that it doesn't have Brownian motion or dampness to it, stands out like a sore thumb and basically forces disbelief checks. Fire wall? With no heat or sound, same thing. Even a brick/stone wall, winking into existence silently... like I said, I have a hard time imagining good illusions.

Note: if your DM goes by the general rule that higher level spells can do more stuff, he will likely say that minor illusions are completely stationary - as silent image requires an action to make it move around.

Once you get to the higher level illusions, a lot of the limitations drop off. Just be wary of suggestions like that Minor Illusion can replicate Darkness and Silent Image is in every way better than Fog Cloud cause you and your allies can disbelieve it.

Oh ya, I'd probably pass on Silent Image. This version is dramatically weaker than in previous editions, both due to the wording and being concentration. With the Illusionist bonus to have sound and visuals from Minor Illusion, I think you'd get more mileage out of that.

SharkForce
2016-02-20, 12:53 AM
it's a bit vague on whether minor illusion can incorporate movement (for example, can you make an illusion of a bonfire where the flames move realistically? how about a curtain that moves with the wind? well, ask your DM).

it's pretty clear, however, that you can't have it move from place to place, and extremely clear that you can't do an image of a creature with it. you'd need at least silent image for that. i don't know if i'd suggest silent image as one of your spells known, but if you want more illusions, silent image is your best option until major image.

anyways, personally i'm a fan of web for level 2 spells. YMMV.

but basically, at this point... you're a low level wizard. your spells don't reliably control things. you don't have a large spellbook. you don't get a lot of spells prepared. you don't have a lot of spell slots. if you feel a bit underwhelming, well, that's because you probably are a bit underwhelming. you're at the low point in your class progression, it's only going to get better from here on out pretty much. in a class that is built to excel at versatility, your resources will mostly limit you to spamming firebolt for many of your actions... not exactly the epitome of versatility. just keep your eye out for opportunities to learn more spells... silent image shouldn't be too hard to find for your spellbook unless your DM hates letting wizards ever find spells. it's a low-level spell that you'd expect many wizards to have in their spellbook and be willing to sell or trade.

(also, with silent image, you can provide sound with minor illusion).

Gtdead
2016-02-20, 05:38 AM
My only suggestion is to play on visibility instead of trying to trick enemies. Try to impose disadvantage through visibility (summon a swarm of bees that cloud the enemy's vision?, or try to emulate the darkness spell, or get an armor class bonus through cover. For example you can pretend to summon a monster, and place it between you and the enemy archer.

You need to learn how the dm responds to that. If you try to do something extravagant, he will most likely try to counter you. It's way better to keep the effects small than having the dm hounding your character ;p .

Shaofoo
2016-02-20, 01:50 PM
My only suggestion is to play on visibility instead of trying to trick enemies. Try to impose disadvantage through visibility (summon a swarm of bees that cloud the enemy's vision?, or try to emulate the darkness spell, or get an armor class bonus through cover. For example you can pretend to summon a monster, and place it between you and the enemy archer.

You need to learn how the dm responds to that. If you try to do something extravagant, he will most likely try to counter you. It's way better to keep the effects small than having the dm hounding your character ;p .

You can't do either with Minor Illusion, Bees are not objects and you can't emulate an effect.

Also as soon as the illusion is touched the enemy will instantly disbelieve so the cloud of bees is useless and also as soon as someone that can reach into the darkness will know that it is fake, in fact with the physical interaction you can shoot an arrow into the darkness and likewise disbelieve.

Better keep by the rules.

Captbrannigan
2016-02-20, 02:45 PM
Illusion spells also do not emit (for the purposes of lllumination) or reflect light. So if you could summon a blazing fire it still wouldn't glow. You also can't mimic Darkness, because that spell swallows the light around it. You could make a flat black dome which light and shadows pass through, but this starts becoming unreal enough that anything you'd want to fool is going to rolling against it in the first round.