PDA

View Full Version : The Theft of an Orb [3.5] IC

Emperor Demonking
2016-02-19, 09:40 PM
You had presented yourself to be summoned by the grand vizier, when you had heard of the treason. Your motives for putting yourselves up all vary, but you are united in your agreement to chase down the Golden One and to bring back the two artefactes of Kandeesh.

The grand viziers smaller office - he has a larger one more internal to the royal palace - is still a marvellously swanky place of sizeable proportions keeping with its presence in the outer sanctum of the royal palace. You all sit - unless you have chosen to stand to the sides - on a silk sofa with satin cushions facing the tall and skinny vizier who sits on a silk-lines but sturdy and wooden chair of his own.

"... we have had many good sightings that we can be confident that he is travelling northwards. We can not be certain of is intentions for travelling north, but we are unable to think of any destination beyond the Archoon Fortress. Although, it has been abandoned for some time, it is difficult to think of any value he would gain by going to a northern farming hamlet; the Archoon Fortress bordering the only natural harbour. It hardly needs to be stressed at how important haste is in this mission, this traitor can not be allowed to continue breathing freedom's air, as second longer than is necessary!"

With that the vizier looks expectantly at the seven of you.

Aron Times
2016-02-19, 09:54 PM
Pitchfork, Loyal Guardsman of Kandeesh

A large man in scale armor, with a sword at his hip and a shield at his back looks at the people assembled. "Guardsman Pitchfork stands ready to serve, Milord. For the Glory of Kandeesh."

Pitchfork's master will need to know about this. He made a mental note to slip away and have a message delivered. Before leaving to hunt down the traitor, Pitchfork will ask leave to prepare the rest of his equipment. It was a real excuse, as he left some things at home that he needed for this quest.

esorscher
2016-02-19, 11:00 PM
Hugo Trapp, a tall and lithe man in light armor, carries everything he owns with him and is ready to depart immediately. "Seven is a natural packing number," he says. "A good omen." He leans casually against his walking staff, his halberd slung across his back.

The Bandicoot
2016-02-20, 12:55 AM
When Rolf entered the room he looked quizzically at the sofa until someone else sat down in it at which point he did too, slowly lowering himself down and leaning back with a smile on his face.

When everyone else is finished speaking he stands up, six feet and seven inches of corded muscle. He wears nothing but a dingy chain shirt, a pair of mustard-yellow cloth pants, and a pair of well-worn traveler's boots. With his only other possession, a massive greataxe, across his back he simply looks at the vizier, cracks his knuckles, and says... Ok.

Drvo
2016-02-20, 02:58 AM
Stephen, having been the first to spread himself across the comfy sofa, is slightly annoyed about having to get up. In order to postpone that unfortunate event, he says: I assume we will be compensated for our efforts after this whole thing is over?

Emperor Demonking
2016-02-20, 06:08 AM
"Oh yes." Replied the Vizier to Stephen, "the queen's gratititude will be great. She will see to you having a great reward, once you have been successful."

Edgar Snow
2016-02-20, 09:02 AM
Zane, one of the elusive wild elves, sits on the floor instead. His clothing and gear is covered in dirt, but so is his skin and hair. Some traces of natural paint blots his face in the folds of his light features.

Following the lead of the large one with the great axe - strangely reminding him of home - Zane replies with the same, "OK", but adds, "I need drink".

He then remembers how he traded his waterskin for arrows many, many miles from here on his return home.

Sgt. Suitable
2016-02-20, 11:12 AM
Finley stands on the side and eyes the others warily. He's dressed in fine Dwarven crafted armor and holds his helm in his left arm, while his right hand rests on the hilt of his waraxe that's hanging from his belt. He patiently waits for everybody to have his say and then takes a step forward.

"It is my honor to resplendent clan Balmoral, and I will not rest until the traitor is brought to justice."

He brings his bearded head down in a curt nod, by means of bowing and setting strength to his words.

"What's the fastest way to the north?"

Emperor Demonking
2016-02-20, 02:58 PM
"There is a road going northwards, but it is not long until it falls under disrepair, and it is not so very long after that until it vanishes completely. At that point you will have to rely just on your wits. The fortress is almost due north of this capital, but I can't say for certain that you'll be able to be similarly direct." Says the Vizier answering the dwarf's question.

Drvo
2016-02-20, 03:30 PM
Sounds like we may be wandering for a while. Says Stephen. Perhaps we could get some supplies for the road?

This guy seems honorable. I could probably get some free stuff off of him. He hasn't exactly specified anything about the "reward" we'll be getting...I'm not sure I'll be satisfied with being proclaimed a "Royal wizard in the service of her majesty". is the thought that caused Stephen to ask the question.

Zhentarim
2016-02-20, 04:47 PM
While the others spoke, Cayden, clad in only a thin cloth robe and absentmindedly brandishing his light crossbow, would have seemed deeply lost in thought to any onlookers. He was, however, a very observant man, and it was not long before the half-elf spoke, albeit with a deceivingly sleepy voice and staid eyes.

"Wise and glorious wizard, I have pondered this issue for some time. Why a loyal knight would turn on queen and country is beyond comprehension. Perhaps with my specialty in madness and the workings of the mind, I can sway him from his wayward path. That said, even a disciple of the mind such as myself cannot survive the frozen wilds on good intentions and deeds alone. As my friend, Stephen, said, we need supplies for the arduous journey before us. We will require a tent, rations for a week, firewood, flint, a map, and a compass. I would also like and audience with the queen, if only to ensure there is nothing we can do while we are away. Thank you for your time.

[roll0]

Emperor Demonking
2016-02-20, 05:19 PM
"The material goods, I can have provided for you. When you leave to get your equipment, as Pitchfork needs to, or any other preparations that you require to take, I will have organised to send that equipment waiting you at the north gate." States the vizier, "However, the audience with the queen is not something that I am permitted to allow."

Zhentarim
2016-02-20, 06:29 PM
"Thank you. It is unfortunate we cannot meet the queen, however, I understand you have your duties and as I have mine. The position of the sun tells me it is now my allotted time to meditate on the structure of the mind, and as such, I will be unable to speak for the next few moments. I believe I will focus my energies on spells which will confuse our foes and protect us from those who wish to harm the innocent and virtuous."

Bowing to the vizier as a sign of respect before turning his back, Cayden walked to a window and sat in the warmth of the sun, occasionally giggling for no apparent reason and twitching his ears. After about 15 minutes of this, he stood once more.

"It is done."

The Bandicoot
2016-02-20, 06:29 PM
When Finley asks about north Rolf simply extends his arm and points north without speaking a word.

Emperor Demonking
2016-02-21, 04:01 AM
The discussion with the vizier over, the new party exits and splits up to do last minute preparations, agreeing to meet up at the north gate when you are ready.

The courtyard before the north gate is typically quite empty, but is busier today. Although, still not crowded and one could not know if the increase is related to the quest to discover the orb, or if a northern farmer had just arrived goods-laden to the big city.

The gate itself is formed of a strong black metal, but is open. Around the gates are the black stone bricks of the gatehouse, to the right is the tight space where the guardsman sits.

Drvo
2016-02-21, 08:41 AM
No audience with the queen huh...shame. I wanted to see if the queen was as pretty as I heard. No matter...Damn...walking is such a drag...

With those thoughts Stephen leaves the office without a word. Then he remembers:

That...that guy with the halberd...has a good taste in weapons...but never mind that, I swear I've seen him before and considering the type of people I hang out with I'm not sure what his intentions are. Has he said his name?

Stephen tries to recall from where he knows the man.

I probably did a job with him at some point. I tend to work alone though...Was it the elven noble shakedown? Freeing that smelly orc out of the prison? Oh right, now I remember.

With that Stephen heads back to the office (not that he was very far) and manages to catch sight of the Halberd wearing man. Ensuring that nobody is around, he taps him on the back.

Hello there Hugo. Remember me?

Edgar Snow
2016-02-21, 10:52 AM
Zane is nearly eager to leave. Despite just arriving after a lengthy travel, he finds such a large metropolitan area to... Stink.

As he arrives at the gates, he finds a guard, someone be considers far easier to speak to than a 'grand vizier'. "Hello there. I gather the Queen will be having her army follow us when they are ready. Are you a part of that army? Has the city guard been told of what to expect after this great betrayal? Marching tribes? Fire from the sky? Assassins?"

Zane tries to make a point by making his dagger disappear from sight.
[roll0]

Emperor Demonking
2016-02-21, 01:12 PM
After the successful trick, the guard is a little put out, a little frightful. Still, he is not put out enough to not be able to continue a conversation - assassins didn't act like that, and he wasn't expecting any assassins, plus he was already in the city presumably going out - "Are you one of the elite warriors that the queen summoned. I'm part of the city army, not the national one. I'll be staying here. I don't expect my load to be much different after the theft, if the tribes to march then I'm sure the national army will be able to deal with it. I'm sure it won't get that far. A quick show of strength to put to sword this traitor and it'll soon be forgotten."

Aron Times
2016-02-21, 02:50 PM
Pitchfork returned from his home, equipment and supplies in tow. He quietly rejoins the group and scans the area for threats. When they reach the gate, he remains quiet and lets others do the talking. He's just a simple warrior on this question, and not some spy. Definitely not a spy.

Pitchfork's supplies, which clink and clank and swish and swosh as he walks with the party:

Backpack
Bedroll
Hooded Lantern
Flint and Steel
Chalk (2 pcs.)
Oil (2 pints)
Soap (2 lbs.)
Waterskin
Hempen Rope (50 ft.)

No food.

Emperor Demonking
2016-02-23, 02:23 AM
As you meet at the north gate, two messagers comes and provides you with a large tent, 42 sets of rations, firewood, flint, a map, and a compass. We've that encumber you, you set off on the road north.

While the road is good, your journey is uneventful. As the road begins to decay, only a little way off you can see some form on the road around 200ft away.

The Bandicoot
2016-02-23, 06:40 AM
Looking over his companions Rolf doesn't even ask what he should carry, picking up the rations and the tent and hefting them onto his back. Then he starts walking north.

Rolf, being the naturally curious type, continues walking towards the thing. If it at any point looks dangerous he pulls out his axe.

Drvo
2016-02-23, 07:58 AM
Stephen follows Rolf, while keeping a 30ft distance away from him at all times.

Zhentarim
2016-02-23, 11:23 AM
Scanning the horizon, Cayden stayed quiet as the snow crunched under his boots. Cayden's cloak flapped subtlely in the cold wind. It was at this moment Cayden wondered what troubles awaited the party in the weeks ahead, as well as the backgrounds of those he was traveling with.

"So, fellow travellers, what are your histories with the Queendom? I was a member of the Queen's court for many years before joining the Psychoanalytic Brotherhood, and I know none of you are courtiers. I believe if we talk while we walk, we can pass this journey more joyfully."

Edgar Snow
2016-02-23, 03:17 PM
Zane spwnds more time studying his surroundings than the group. When one of them starts asking about Queendom or Brotherhood's (the speech catches him offguard, coming from the beforehand quiet man), he catches only enough to know there was a question posed.

"Huh? Yeah, tracker. Guerilla tactics, sure".
When encountering the figure, he puts an arrow to his bow, let's out a quick whistle, and points. He follows the one with the axe.

Follow until we seem to be about 100ft. If there isn't a response by then, Spot for details: [roll0]

Zhentarim
2016-02-23, 03:58 PM
Oncemore becoming silent, Cayden draws his crossbow and nocks his arrow, prepared to fire. After a deep breath, he yelled loudly at the form on the road.

Hey, you on the road! Is everything alright? Are you hurt?"

Cayden, altruistic as he was, was no fool. He kept his arrow readied and circled off the road slightly so he would have a clear shot at the creature if it was hostile. He planned to stop a mere 45 feet from it and continue yelling the conversation if there was a response.

Aron Times
2016-02-23, 10:56 PM
Pitchfork, Guardsman

To the earlier question, Pitchfork replied, "My name is Pitchfork. I am a Guardsman. I am here to help you with this, and keep an eye out for trouble." Trouble from other travelers on the road, and trouble from within the search party itself.

When Pitchfork sees Cayden ready his weapon and call out to someone ahead, he positions himself in front of the group but without blocking their line of fire. He readies his own bow but does not yet nock an arrow. No need to put unnecessary wear and tear on his weapon.

Emperor Demonking
2016-02-24, 02:36 AM
Even as you become within a hundred feet of it, the form up ahead does not move.

Make your own spot/listen/etc checks if you wish to make them.

Edgar Snow
2016-02-24, 06:53 AM
With no response from Cayden's reply, Zane will shift his focus from looking at the figure to around the figure. The idea of an ambush is in his head.

[roll0]

Aron Times
2016-02-24, 11:38 AM
Pitchfork, Guardsman

Pitchfork scans the area for trouble. It's probably nothing...

Spot Check [roll0]
Listen Check [roll1]

Zhentarim
2016-02-24, 12:22 PM
With a little more heat in his voice, Cayden shouted, If you don't answer me, I WILL shoot! We have a mission from the queen herself and those who obstruct our course WILL be charged with treason!

[roll0]

Emperor Demonking
2016-02-24, 01:06 PM
The form remains still.

Zane notices that around the road where the form is located on the left, some scrub has clearly been broken. However, actual creatures don't seem to be there, or if they are then they're better hidden than the elf can see.

Zhentarim
2016-02-24, 01:24 PM
Cayden, frustrated at this point, decided to shift his tone once more. His elven side made him want to try diplomacy rather than attacking outright. Despite years of inward turning diminishing his perception and canceling out some of the otherwise common benefits of being half-elven, his diplomatic ability still ran strong. Kindness is one of the few things the inevitable madness of the brotherhood could not touch. With a markedly kinder voice, Cayden spoke to the form, though he kept his weapon readied.

"Why do you do this? I'm sure you deserve more dignity than to desire to be shot without saying a word. That is true of all creatures, lowly or noble. Stand and tell us your purpose and we shall let you go free. Please do this, I do not want to shoot you, but I will if I must!"

[roll0]

Emperor Demonking
2016-02-24, 03:52 PM
Cayden's words were well-formed and fill with palpable force of persuasion. Yet somehow the sprawled form 100ft ahead is not only unmoved, but does not move.

Zhentarim
2016-02-24, 04:21 PM
Sighing, Cayden walked forward 20 feet towards the object blocking the road. Cayden let the arrow fly, suspecting the creature was either impeding their progress, or was not a creature at all. Cayden suspected it was a pile of material covered in a blanket. He wasn't going to go near it on the off chance he may be attacked, however.

To Hit
[roll0]

Damage
[roll1]

(END OF TURN)

Aron Times
2016-02-24, 08:55 PM
Pitchfork, Walking into Danger.

"Hold. I'll check it out." Pitchfork walked forward to check out the person lying on the road. Might be someone who really needed help.

The Bandicoot
2016-02-24, 08:57 PM
After seeing an arrow fly Rolf pulls his axe over his back and charges the obstruction with a roar, stopping once he is on top of it but not swinging unless it reacts violently.

esorscher
2016-02-24, 09:18 PM
Did not subscribe. That has been fixed.

Hugo nods his recognition of Stephen, but continues to remain silent. He stays aloof at a distance as the party handles the prone figure with a remarkably dual-pronged approach.

Edgar Snow
2016-02-25, 12:30 AM
Watching the, as if now, charge forward, "Handled with the grace of an ox...", and Zane takes a knee, ready to shoot should anything threatening appear.
Kneel, ready action to shoot anyone who targets the group [roll0], [roll1]

Emperor Demonking
2016-02-25, 03:22 AM
Rolf and Pitchfork nearer to the form can see that the form is not living. A serviceable suit of chain mail stuffed with shrubbery in order to give it its fuller figure. Your approach does not seem to have triggered anything.

In addition, further forward you can tell that you are at the cusp of a hill, and that the road disappears almost as soon as it begins to go down.

Sgt. Suitable
2016-02-25, 04:35 AM
Finley follows Rolf and Pitchfork shield and axe at the ready. He's been in a good mood so far, enjoying the walk and getting to know the people he's with. About himself he's been quiet, for now content to playing to the mysteries of being the only Dwarf.

Aron Times
2016-02-25, 06:40 AM
Rolf and Pitchfork nearer to the form can see that the form is not living. A serviceable suit of chain mail stuffed with shrubbery in order to give it its fuller figure. Your approach does not seem to have triggered anything.

In addition, further forward you can tell that you are at the cusp of a hill, and that the road disappears almost as soon as it begins to go down.
Pitchfork examines the strange, armored shrubbery on the road. Does this look like magic? Are there any clues as to why it's here in the middle of the road? Does it look expensive or magical?

Search [roll0]

Drvo
2016-02-25, 08:12 AM
Stephen stops at 50 feet of the weird thing, and examines the area.

Spot check: [roll0]

Listen check: [roll1]

Edit: Wow.

Edgar Snow
2016-02-25, 11:08 AM
From the distance still, Zane says loudly, "Well don't just poke it, speak up! For what does it warn or portend?
From the description, I assume the rest of us can tell it's on the crest of the hill, but not the disappearing road beyond

Emperor Demonking
2016-02-25, 12:01 PM
As Pitchfork examines the armor and the shrubbery inside it, he finds three rings also insidev it. One, which appears embeddded with three small rubies, looks expensive but the two signet rings - one obviously of the royal family, the other of less obvious origin - look comparatively inexpensive. The armor itself simply seems servicable chain-mail.

Stephen can just about hear Pitchfork do this.

Aron Times
2016-02-25, 12:19 PM
Pitchfork

As Pitchfork examines the armor and the shrubbery inside it, he finds three rings also insidev it. One, which appears embeddded with three small rubies, looks expensive but the two signet rings - one obviously of the royal family, the other of less obvious origin - look comparatively inexpensive. The armor itself simply seems servicable chain-mail.

Stephen can just about hear Pitchfork do this.
Pitchfork shows the party what he found. "An expensive-looking ruby ring and two signet rings. This one looks like the royal signet, this one... I have no idea." He hands them to someone, anyone to examine. "Are any of you magickers? Can you look at this with magic eyes? Oh, just a hunch, can you check that armor, too? It might be expensive or magic."

Zhentarim
2016-02-25, 01:29 PM
"Let me take a look."

Use Orison as Standard Action: Detect Magic

esorscher
2016-02-25, 09:49 PM
Hugo moves to stand next to Cayden, and continues to say nothing.

Emperor Demonking
2016-02-26, 03:23 AM
Cayden does not sense any magical energy from the rings.

The Bandicoot
2016-02-26, 05:55 AM
This here to slow us down. We keep moving. With that simple saying Rolf hefts his axe over his shoulder and motions for everyone else to keep moving.

Edgar Snow
2016-02-26, 07:17 AM
Zane listens to the Orc, and rushes up to meet the pack in the lead. "The Orc makes a decent enough argument. The chainmail could certainly be used. Not for myself, byt someone. I see no reason for us to leave behind resources".

"Now, Orc, what name do you go by? I'd prefer to not call out 'Orc' or 'Axeman' in the event of an emergency. But yes, shall we continue on?".

Drvo
2016-02-26, 07:31 AM
Stephen is perfectly content to follow Rolf, seeing as the loot is of no use to him, if the rings indeed have no magic.

Aron Times
2016-02-26, 07:49 AM
Pitchfork

Pitchfork picked up the suit of mail and stowed it in one of the group's containers. He does this quietly, and then stands ready at the front of the group. He is ready to move on whenever the others are ready as well.

The Bandicoot
2016-02-26, 04:04 PM
Rolf, of the Ur'tan tribe. Rolf pounds his chest with his fist and looks off in the distance Been called worse than Orc and Axeman though, call Rolf what you wish.

Emperor Demonking
2016-02-26, 06:45 PM
Going a little past the suit and moving a little down, you can see that the sand starts to become sandy soil and a forest is at the base of the hill; quite thick, too. Although, the actual surfaced road is gone, there is a clear wagon-wide way through the forest. Alas, the entrance is covered by a dozen resting wolves.

esorscher
2016-02-26, 06:48 PM
Hugo unsheathes his halberd and smiles.

Edgar Snow
2016-02-26, 08:08 PM
"A dozen is about eleven more than I would dare try to calm. I'd like to keep my range, pick off those I can. If the plan is to rush in as with the topiary guardsman, just say when you are all ready".

What is the distance between the group and wolves?
As far as marching orders, Zane will move towards the back of the group, and will await the group's plan before readying an action.

Emperor Demonking
2016-02-26, 08:49 PM
This distance between the party and the wolves is large; despite the vantage point the party can only just recognise them for the beasts they are. However, the distance between the wolves and the bottom of the hill is roghly 60 feet.

Aron Times
2016-02-26, 10:56 PM
Pitchfork

"Wolves kill people. Travelers, farmers, heroes, everyone. Also, their pelts sell for good money. If we slay them now, we make the roads safer and earn some money, too." Pitchfork turned to his companions. "You all know how to fight, right? If you have any magic that can help, we could use it." He readied his bow for the job at hand, but will wait until everyone is ready. "Whenever you're ready, boys...."

The Bandicoot
2016-02-27, 12:40 AM
Rolf cracks his neck and draws his axe, giving it a few one-handed swings before going to a firm two-handed grip. He turns to Pitchfork If wolves kill your heroes, they aren't very good heroes. he laughs and turns to the rest of the group When fighting starts, try to keep up.

Drvo
2016-02-27, 01:20 AM
Stephen will head down when the group does, stopping however at 110ft from the wolves.

esorscher
2016-02-27, 02:31 AM
Hugo kneels down and places his halberd on the ground. He draws a sling from his belt and loads it with a bullet, and begins twirling the sling, building and maintaining momentum. In his other hand he holds his halberd, and he closes to 50' from the bottom of the hill, assuming the wolves remain asleep.

Sgt. Suitable
2016-02-27, 02:33 AM
While Rolf is delivering his macho bravado, Finley simply starts jogging towards the wolves. Shield up and axe ready.

The Bandicoot
2016-02-27, 05:57 AM
Seeing the other members jog past Rolf lets out a loud warcry and sprints down the hill towards the wolves.

Edgar Snow
2016-02-27, 09:22 AM
Zane moves with 'Stephen', opting to take the other side of the dilapidated trail, and closing in a little more so that the closest of the pack is within a comfortable range (100 ft).

"If only we were a handful more, and far more agile, we could do this fast and silently. I will do my best to watch over you, Rolf. Even you can't run as fast as an arrow flies".

Zhentarim
2016-02-27, 11:31 AM
Keeping his distance down to a mere 30 feet, Cayden planned to cast Lesser Confusion on the nearest wolf, hoping luck would be on his side this time. "If this works, we may have an easier time combating these wolves. If it doesn't, I apologize ahead of time." Cayden moved forward carefully, trying to remain largely unnoticed by the pack.

Emperor Demonking
2016-02-27, 12:55 PM
The wolves were never asleep, but Rolf's cry awoke them to the danger they were facing. Nine of the number raced off further into the wolf. Of the three that remained, one remained proned as if already ages, while the two others stand up over him, staring at the heroes. The heroes whose leaders have reached the bottom of the hill, although some of their members remain slightly further up.

Roll initiative, and state your actions.

Wolves: [roll0]

(Cayden couldn't reach any wolves on his turn, but he can this turn.

Also for the OOC, would you rather I roll Initiative for everyone in future for everyone or not?)

Edgar Snow
2016-02-27, 06:50 PM
Init: [roll0]

Zane looks for those not yet engaged in combat with his allies, moving to keep them just inside his bows practical range.
Target: Any wolf at 100 ft, move as needed on the hill.
Attack: [roll1]
Damage: [roll2]
(edit: well, glad to get those Nat 1s out of the way early...)

Drvo
2016-02-27, 07:21 PM
Initiative: [roll0]

Stephen attacks a wolf he can reach with his heavy crossbow.

Damage: [roll2]

Zhentarim
2016-02-27, 08:07 PM
Cayden moved forward again, this time casting a spell. "I sure hope this works!"

Move Action
Cast Lesser Confusion as Standard Action

To hit with spell
[roll0]

Spell effect
[roll1]

esorscher
2016-02-27, 08:28 PM
Hugo slings his sling bullet at a wolf once it gets into point blank range, or moves himself so that he is 25' from a wolf in order to do so, then grips his halberd with both hands, sheathing or dropping his sling as necessary.

Sling: [roll1], [roll2] (Forgot Point Blank, +1 to both)

Aron Times
2016-02-27, 09:10 PM
Pitchfork

Pitchfork put away his bow. He strapped on his shield and drew his sword, then followed the axeman into the hunt.

Sgt. Suitable
2016-02-28, 01:50 AM
As he nears the wolves Finley raises his axe and growls from the back of his throat shouting: "Balmoral!"

Actions:

Charge attack roll:
[roll1]
Damage:
[roll2]

The Bandicoot
2016-02-28, 08:17 AM

Rolf runs to close the distance. If he ends up within swinging distsnce he power attacks.

Possible Attack: [roll1]
Possible Damage: [roll2]

Emperor Demonking
2016-02-28, 09:28 AM
Initiative for Pitchfork: [roll0]
Initiative for Cayden: [roll1]
Wolf will Save: [roll2]

Emperor Demonking
2016-02-28, 09:53 AM
Hugo began the battle by moving towards the wolves, his slingshooted bullet going wide from the wolves. Cayden's magical ray hit the nearest wolf, but was only replied to with a growl. Stephen drew first blood as his crossbow bolt glided into the flesh on one of the standing wolves. Finley followed that up with a inflicting a second wound upon the wolf. Zane fired at the originally injuredwolf, but the arrow missed.

Rolf running in-line with the arrow does not miss, striking the healthy wall with a great blow that causes it to collapse. At the skill of his new party members, Pitchfork pushes forward.

One of the two wolves fgoes to revenge himself on the Orc, his sharp teeth trying to get into the orc's legs, while the other gets to the other side of the dwarf making an attempt to bite into his sturdy legs.

Attack Roll Wolf #1: [roll0] Damage: [roll1] Trip: [roll2] OTrip: [roll3]

Attack Roll Wolf #2: [roll4] Damage: [roll5] Trip: [roll6] OTrip: [roll7]

The second wolf missed, his muzzle hitting the dwarf's leg rather than his teeth. The first wolf fared better, hit teeth creating a deep scratch into the still-upright wolf.

Aron Times
2016-02-28, 10:40 AM
Pitchfork, Sword and Shield Against Fang and Claw

Clank, clank, clink, clonk went Pitchfork into the attack, sword and shield against fang and claw.

Longsword Attack: [roll0]
Longsword Damage: [roll1]

Also, just in case...

Longsword Cleave Attack: [roll2]
Longsword Cleave Damage: [roll3]

Zhentarim
2016-02-28, 12:06 PM
Cayden, who was exceptionally quick on the draw, ran from the wolves, then spun around and attempted to shoot the nearest beast.

Attack[roll0]
Damage[roll1]

Sgt. Suitable
2016-02-28, 12:45 PM
Finley slashes across once more to repel the wolfs attack and keep him at bay.

Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

Edgar Snow
2016-02-28, 12:46 PM
Still from the hill, Zane tries to take better aim at the furry beasts from a distance.

Target: wolf not threatening ally.

esorscher
2016-02-28, 12:54 PM
Hugo charges in with his halberd, flanking one of the wolves that is focused on the orc.

[Charge +2, Flanking +2, Power Attack -1/+2]: [roll0], [roll1]

Drvo
2016-02-28, 03:40 PM
Stephen will attack whatever wolf seems to be the most injured, in hopes of scoring a kill.

Magic missile damage: [roll0]

The Bandicoot
2016-02-28, 10:41 PM
Rolf lets out a bellowing roar, his eyes glazing over as the rage overtakes him. He swings downward at the wolf nipping at his legs.

POWER ATTACK
[roll0]

POSSIBLE DAMAGE
[roll1]

Emperor Demonking
2016-02-29, 04:21 AM
Hugo's halberd hammered into the wolf that had tried to draw blood from Wolf. After taking several deep scratches earlier on in this battle, this great wound bigger than the others was enough to fell it. Cayden's arrow went wide of the only wolf remaining, however Stephen's missile battered it although it still stood.

The dwarf got his revenge on his attempted assaulter plunging his weapon down onto the wolf, and leaving it close to death. The elf's attempt to plunge an arrow into him to finish the job proved to be less successful as it passed by the wolf's now shrunken form. The orc enraged span around to face the remaining enemy, his axe powering into the sandy soil.

It is left to Pitchfork to finish off the remaining wolf, and he does with his longsword plunging into the wolf's flesh and leaving it unmoving, in its own blood, on the floor.

Everyone gets 129 Experience Points. If you wish to skin the wolves that would require a check.

Drvo
2016-02-29, 07:29 AM
Stephen reloads the heavy crossbow, just in case the "other" wolves come back.

Nice to see we've got actually useful people here. He says.

Edgar Snow
2016-02-29, 03:28 PM
Zane calls out on his way down the hill. "Perhaps the others are not as hungry. Shall we attempt to give chase? Their tracks should be easy for me to follow if they decided to dart in another direction. If they've decided to truly flee, it will be of little use however".

Emperor Demonking
2016-03-01, 06:17 AM
The wolves' prints are clear in the soft soil, however, some steep wind could make it much trickier to follow them. Having said that, the wind has not blown to any real extent since you have been travelling.

Drvo
2016-03-01, 07:34 AM
We may want to skin these beasts. Can anyone track them? Like our companion said, we could turn a profit from their skins, and also make the roads safer.

Edgar Snow
2016-03-01, 08:33 AM
Zane sighs, "Yes. I am the 'me' I spoke of," and moves way from the gathering group in the direction of the wolves.
Survival Check [roll0], -5 to move at normal speed.
With the tracks easy to follow, Zane can move quickly, but stops, turning his head to the group. "The dead will still be dead when we return. Is anyone with me?"

esorscher
2016-03-01, 09:17 AM
"It's more efficient to skin and butcher these and then go after the rest, than it is to kill the rest, then come back and skin and butcher these." Hugo says. Lacking the skill to do it properly, he makes no move to skin the wolves but does move to stand next to Zane and will accompany him should the tracker choose to leave these carcasses for the crows.

Aron Times
2016-03-01, 09:50 PM
Pitchfork

Pitchfork reminded them of their mission. "We have a job to do. We've thinned the pack shouldn't be that big a deal anymore." He looked at their bounty, part of the pack that would've slain people had they not been dealt with. "Better to get what we can now instead of losing everything by being greedy. We should take what we have and continue on our journey."

The Bandicoot
2016-03-01, 11:57 PM
Rolf lets out a loud sigh, his eyes refocusing. He looks around at his companions and simply shrugs his shoulders, wiping the blood off his axe and sheathing it.

Emperor Demonking
2016-03-02, 04:14 AM
As Zane looks at the prints, the others take their time in skinning the wolves and taking their hides. No wind comes before the party starts to go inside the forest.

As Zane leads the party in following the collective band of wolves. He notices a different set of human prints, although they happen to coincide along the main road, eventually they diverge with the human tracks going further along the road, and the wolf tracks going thicker into the forest.

Edgar Snow
2016-03-02, 08:20 AM
Pitchfork's comments, and those from earlier, make Zane question his motivations.
"First it was, 'Wolves kill everyone... slay them now, make the roads safer', but the moment the coast is clear, it's 'onward with the mission!' but then that's only after a delay of doing work to make immediate money. There's an elven word for that, but it best translates as 'mercenary'."

As Zane leads, he moves only as fast as their slowest party member, not bothering to try to sneak. Seeing the other prints, he calls out, "Watch this area by the road, and just avoid it. We my want to check these later," as he absent-mindedly circles a spot on the ground with his finger. He knows wolves can move faster than the group but checks for any signs of them, beyond the tracks, as they appear to break into the forest.
Spot [roll0][roll1]

Aron Times
2016-03-02, 08:24 AM
Pitchfork, Greedy Traitor to the Kingdom

Pitchfork looked at Zane with a genuine smile on his face. "Thank you, sir." He saw Zane's statement as a compliment, not as an insult. Nevertheless, he followed the others' lead. He didn't see himself as the leader, he didn't plan on being the leader, he just wanted to share his opinion with his peers on this expedition. If the group's will was to hunt down the rest of the wolves, then so be it.

esorscher
2016-03-02, 09:24 AM
Pitchfork's comments, and those from earlier, make Zane question his motivations.
"First it was, 'Wolves kill everyone... slay them now, make the roads safer', but the moment the coast is clear, it's 'onward with the mission!' but then that's only after a delay of doing work to make immediate money. There's an elven word for that, but it best translates as 'mercenary'."

"There's a common word for it to, it translates best as 'mercenary'." Hugo says. He is similarly content to follow the group, wherever Zane may lead them.

Emperor Demonking
2016-03-02, 09:29 AM
Zane can see no sign of the wolves themselves, but in broken branches and trodden leavesx he can see the path that the wolves would have taken into the forest.

Wind blasts through the forest, throwing a cloud of dirt up, until it is still again.

esorscher
2016-03-02, 09:31 AM
"Well if that wasn't a divine wind I don't know what is," Hugo says. "Let's forget about the wolves, any tracks probably were obscured by that cloud of dust."

Zhentarim
2016-03-02, 03:39 PM
Cayden followed along, saying nothing.

Aron Times
2016-03-02, 06:30 PM
Pitchfork

Pitchfork moved back to his position at the front of the group. He had his shield still strapped on, but his sword sheathed in its scabbard and his bow slung on his back along with his other equipment and supplies for this journey.

Emperor Demonking
2016-03-03, 02:55 PM
Leavingh the wolves to their own devices, you continue along the soft road. Although, the teees are getting thicker as you push into the forest, the road reamains clear enough for a wagon to pass through. Such a wagon would only get in trouble occasionally. For the party, therefore, the hourney to getting halfway was without trouble.

Turning the corner, you see a naked man roughly 25ft away from Pitchfork leading the party. The human man, who looks somwhat familiar as if he has a famous face, holds his rapier outstretched and declaring, in Elvish, "En Guarde!"

Initiatives
Him: [roll0]
Pitchfork: [roll1]
Cayden: [roll2]
Finley: [roll3]
Rolf: [roll4]
Hugo:[roll5]
Zane: [roll6]
Stephen: [roll7]

Aron Times
2016-03-03, 08:12 PM
Pitchfork

"Halt and identify yourself," yelled Pitchfork back at the naked man. He wasn't taking any chances, as the naked man could be a spellcaster, who didn't need real weapons or armor to cause significant harm.

Sgt. Suitable
2016-03-04, 01:20 AM
Finley scowls at the naked man and decides he's had enough of this.

"Get out the way or I'll run you through! I have more important things to do today, elf!!"

He charges the man instantly.

Attack and damage:
[roll0]
[roll1]

Drvo
2016-03-04, 10:27 AM
Stephen doesn't move in any way, but says:

Not to kill the dwarf's obvious lust for bloodshed, but perhaps we could attempt to disable the man rather than fight him? His situation is odd, maybe he's got something of interest to say.

Zhentarim
2016-03-04, 10:51 AM
In fluent Elven, Cayden spoke gently as he approached the man.
Move Action to approach man.
[roll0]
"Stanger, why do you take up arms against us? I beg you, lay down your arms and we can speak about what troubles you. I come from the brotherhood of the mind, and am always glad to help those in need.

Emperor Demonking
2016-03-04, 01:07 PM
"Well job" Spoke the human to the dwarf still speaking Elvish as his attempt to dodge still left him with a scratch. "En guarde!"

Ge lunged forwards with his rapier in an attempt to return the blow, before reating 30ft back his eyes still focused on the paladin.

Qwanch: I'm guessing that your roll didn't take into aaccount the -10 for a standard action? Regardless, I'll resolve that on your done.

Emperor Demonking
2016-03-04, 01:11 PM
However, odd the man's predicament may be his rapier struck true.

Confirm:[roll0]
Crit Damage: [roll1]

Zhentarim
2016-03-04, 01:28 PM
(OOC: Yes, that would make my roll a 16.)

Cayden hoped he could resolve the situation peacefully. He glared at the dwarf for rushing straight to the most violent solution.

Aron Times
2016-03-04, 02:43 PM
Pitchfork

"Wait!" Before Pitchfork could stop his companion, he had already charged into the strange man, who was serious about fighting them. He drew his sword and strode forward to eliminate the threat.

I looked at the wrong character sheet. Both my active characters use a longsword and a shield. Pitchfork only has +5 to attack and 1d8+3 to damage. Therefore, the rolls here should have -5 to attack and -3 to damage to compensate.

His attack roll is only a 13, while his damage roll is only 10. Still pretty high, but not as overwhelmingly high as it first seemed. Since it's not a crit, the interior spoiler block doesn't matter.

Attack [roll0]
Damage [roll1]
Critical Attack [roll2]
Critical Damage [roll3]

Edgar Snow
2016-03-04, 05:30 PM
Thinking words would be enough, Zane is a little awed when this naked man starts in with his strike. Silently, he fires his bow.
move into 30 ft range
Atk: [roll0]
Dmg: [roll1]

esorscher
2016-03-05, 02:47 AM
Hugo draws his halberd and moves toward the man, intending to trip him and make surrender a more appealing option.

Emperor Demonking
2016-03-05, 03:56 PM
As Hugo and pitchfork rush towards the man, neither quite completing the distance, and Stephen watched while Cayden's words fell onto deaf ears, Zane moved forward. Drawing his bow, he let loose an arrow that flew true. Piercing the naked man's left shoulder, he gasped at the pain although he remained ready to fight.

(Rolf to go this turn, and finley should also go before I update.)

Zhentarim
2016-03-05, 07:38 PM
Cayden sighed and began to cast a spell to distract the man. He felt the man was just a confused soul and he could be helped.

5-foot step back as move action
Cast Doom on Naked Man as Standard Action.

Emperor Demonking
2016-03-07, 02:26 PM
As Rolf ran up to meet with Finley, and the injured dwarf remained standing where he was, the nude rapier wielder smiled, his eyes looking at the Halbardeer and his rapier pointed towards him, as if readying himself for a duel.

Drvo
2016-03-08, 06:58 AM
Well I guess he's not one for diplomacy.
Stephen pulls as far as possible away from the rapier man, and shoots with his crossbow, not intending to kill, simply injure/disable the target.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Aron Times
2016-03-09, 04:04 PM
"Just lay your weapons down and walk away. (https://wiki.teamfortress.com/w/images/e/ef/Spy_taunts09.wav)" If the naked swordsman does not back down, Pitchfork will press the attack.

Longsword Attack [roll]1d20+5[roll]
Longsword Damage [roll0]

Aron Times
2016-03-09, 04:05 PM
Longsword Attack [roll0]

Emperor Demonking
2016-03-10, 12:37 PM
Will: [roll0]
Damage [roll2]

Emperor Demonking
2016-03-10, 12:40 PM
The flurry of combat seems to go well for the naked man as he glided past arrows, and twirled around swords and shrugged off spells. When Pitchfork came to him, he stabbed a retalitory strike at the guardsman, before moving further into the melee.

esorscher
2016-03-10, 11:12 PM
"Just out of curiosity," Hugo asks as he casually closes range and prepares to trip the naked man. "If we hadn't attacked you, what would have happened?" He does not trip, though he is prepared to do so.

Ready a trip if the naked man attacks or moves out of his threatened area (does not count as an AoO).

Trip: [roll0]
Follow-up Attack (-4 AC if prone): [roll1], [roll2] nonlethal

Drvo
2016-03-11, 06:39 AM
Stephen will back off again as much as possible, and reload the crossbow.

Edgar Snow
2016-03-12, 12:41 PM
As the melee ensues, Zane takes action.

If enemy is standing and in melee, double move around to the opposite side of the combat, drawing dagger.

If enemy is tripped and conscious, move while drawing dagger, attack [roll0] for [roll1]

If enemy is unconscious, move in and Heal check to stabilize [roll2]

Zhentarim
2016-03-12, 05:06 PM
Cayden, after successfully casting his spell, took a step back and fired his crossbow once more. He chose to deal nonlethal damage on the man, so he aimed for a nonvital location.

To Hit:
[roll0]
Damage:
[roll1]

Emperor Demonking
2016-03-14, 06:14 AM
The naked man did not respond to Hugo's question as Qwanch's bolt goes wide. With Zane flanking him from the otherside, he prepared his rapier for a lunge at the elf -

To be struck by Hugo's halberd, and a trip attack at that.

[roll0]

Emperor Demonking
2016-03-14, 06:17 AM
On the ground, surrounded, and struck by Hugo's halberd, the naked man assesses the situation. "I surrender. It is obvious that you are not the bandits I took you for."

Aron Times
2016-03-14, 07:56 AM
Pitchfork

Pitchfork stopped attacking, but kept his sword pointed at the naked man. "Sheathe your sword, and I will sheathe mine." Realizing that the man was naked and had no sheathe. "I mean, lay down your sword and I will sheathe mine." Once the man does so, Pitchfork will clean his sword and then sheathe it, then leave the talking to his companions while he watches guard over their surroundings.

Zhentarim
2016-03-14, 01:40 PM
Cayden approached with a simple question:

"Who are these bandits?"

Drvo
2016-03-14, 03:15 PM
Stephen will investigate the area, just in case there is something, or rather someone around. He's not inclined on trusting crazed naked men.

Spot: [roll0]

Listen: [roll1]

esorscher
2016-03-14, 07:28 PM
Once the naked man disarms himself, Hugo helps the naked man to his feet. "If we hadn't attacked you, what would have happened?"

Emperor Demonking
2016-03-15, 04:08 AM
The naked man lays down his weapon, and answered Cayden's question, "Oh, I have not seen any actual bandits, but in times like this one learns to expect the worst. After all, there is a foul Ogre in these very woods. Yes, not a day's walk from the capital!"

As the man is helped to his feet, he answers Hugo's question, "I thought you- the general you - were a threat when I saqw yu. Before you - the general you - struck me. I would have struck you first if I had the alacrity, although I did give the courtesy of a warning."

Stephen can see, nor hear, any threats. He can see what looks like a makeshift viewing platform atop one of the taller trees, not too far from you are.

Drvo
2016-03-15, 07:32 AM
I've 2 questions for you. Stephen said.
First off, what is your name, and second off, is that platform up on that tree yours?

Zhentarim
2016-03-15, 10:50 AM
"After you answer that, would you like to join us? We can use all the help we can get!"

Emperor Demonking
2016-03-15, 11:39 AM
"If you do not recognise my face, I am sure you will recognise my titles. I am Lord Clark, maternal uncle of her royal highness the queen, and former general of her magesties armies." Spoke the naked man, "Yes the platform is mine."

To Cayden, the naked man spoke, "To join you doing what?"

Zhentarim
2016-03-15, 12:38 PM
"We are on a mission from the crown to retrieve a traitor, among other things. Your attack on us could be seen as treason, but as you seem like a reasonable guy, I'll cut you a deal: If you aid us on our journey to return this traitor, I will say nothing of this incident. Agreed?"

Drvo
2016-03-15, 06:26 PM
I do not generally engage in politics, but did you say "former"? Stephen questions the man. And cover yourself up man, for crying out loud, why are you naked in the first place?

Emperor Demonking
2016-03-16, 04:05 AM
"If the kingdom needs me, then surely I will help." Says Lord Clark, before almost ignoring Stephen, "Did you happen to see my armour on your way to these woods?"

Zhentarim
2016-03-16, 12:25 PM
"If the kingdom needs me, then surely I will help." Says Lord Clark, before almost ignoring Stephen, "Did you happen to see my armour on your way to these woods?"

"We found some armor up the path. We can retrieve it if you would like."

Emperor Demonking
2016-03-17, 12:21 PM
"Yes, that may be good." Says the naked man, "so your presense in these woods is entirely unrelated to the ogre terrorising the farms past it? We do live in troubling times."

Edgar Snow
2016-03-17, 01:34 PM
Zane, eyeing the platform, but not approaching it, "And what are you on the lookout for? This ogre? And how did you move like that, so smooth and swift? It was... Inhuman", he says with a notable pause.

Aron Times
2016-03-17, 08:23 PM
Pitchfork, Man Who Remembered to Pick Up the Plot Coupon

Pitchfork remembered that he took the discarded armor with them. He had previously placed them in one of their containers. "I retrieved your armor, milord. However, we didn't find your gambeson with your mail, so it will chafe if you put it on now. Maybe we can find a village or some other outfitter along the way?"

Emperor Demonking
2016-03-18, 11:30 AM
"Not inhuman. Just a rather fantastic speciman of human. It was once true that I was the only man to have defeated an Ogre in single combat. That's been equalled since. " Spoke the man, listening to Pitchfork, he said, "Oh, I have that closer to my platform. I'd look quite the buffon with just that on."

Being already up, he starts to move forward slowly in its direction. If one wanted to stop or join him, then

esorscher
2016-03-18, 06:25 PM
Hugo follows the general.

Zhentarim
2016-03-18, 06:54 PM
Cayden followed closely behind the man. He seemed like a pretty nice guy, if a tad goofy. Cayden was also impressed that Lord Clark could speak elven as well as he could. He decided he would ask him a question in elven, hoping to build rapport with the gentleman.

"Where did you learn elven?

Emperor Demonking
2016-03-19, 04:56 AM
Seeing the followers, the General asks if somebody would be kind enough to fetch his rapier, answering Cayden's question in Elvish. "An elf for a very good duelling teacher."

Near the platform,Netherlands man's padded clothes are easily spotted in the undergrowth being of a bright, rich purple. He puts it on, before turning to Pitchfork for his armour.

Emperor Demonking
2016-03-22, 04:52 PM
Now armed and armoured, Lord Clark looks at the assembled group, "Ah, shall I lead you to the ogre now? I could lead you through the thicker parts, if you want to get the jump on him. I should warn you though that he has a close relationship with the wolves, thus we ought to be particularly slow and cautious."

Aron Times
2016-03-22, 06:01 PM
Davian, Right Behind You

"I shall follow closely behind, Milord."

Pitchfork made a mental note to tell his associates about this development when he gets back home.

Zhentarim
2016-03-22, 07:30 PM
Cayden nodded and followed the others quietly.

Drvo
2016-03-23, 06:40 AM
Excited about possibly fighting an ogre, Stephen follows quietly.

Emperor Demonking
2016-03-24, 02:00 PM
You step through the thick trees, your path occasionally cross a trail where a wolf must have passed, but you don't see any. At the edge of a clearing, Lord Clark stands 10ft ahead of you as he points to the either asleep or rest ogre who stands 80ft away on the other edge of the clearing, sitting upon an uprooted tree trunk.

Zhentarim
2016-03-24, 02:07 PM
"We can either shoot it from here or do a coup de grace."

Emperor Demonking
2016-03-31, 12:28 PM
Lord Clark gives a lound cry. Then darts away. the elf, dwarf, and half-orc run off after him. The ogre looks up.

Initiatives:
Ogre: [roll0]

Stephen: [roll1]
Hugo: [roll2]
Cayden: [roll3]
Pitchfork: [roll4]

Drvo
2016-04-01, 06:05 AM
Stephen will remain as far as possible from the ogre, and shoot with the crossbow.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Zhentarim
2016-04-01, 06:38 PM
Cayden thinks what he will do.