PDA

View Full Version : Arm of Nyr - worth it?

Shnigda
2016-02-20, 02:01 AM
Hey guys, I was just wondering if the Arm of Nyr (+2 Str and Dex untyped, +2 deflection) is really worth it as an item or whether one would be better off spending the 12,800gp on something else.
(For context, my character is a Two-handed fighter who does charges and sometimes trips, with a bit of warshaper thrown in)
Any ideas would be much appreciated!
EDIT: Str and Dex are currently at 30 and 12 respectively after all bonuses are applied (only bonus from items so far is +2 from bracers of ogre power) (Also, the character is Good-aligned, so no worries there and this is all still in character creation, so I think I can add something into the backstory about him wanting to be as strong as possible to make up for being born with only one arm, then some clerics found him in the woods, took him in and gave him the Arm of Nyr... Or something like that...) Also, I am level 10 and we are probably playing up to 20.

HunterOfJello
2016-02-20, 02:11 AM
I think Arm of Nyr also gives +2 Deflection bonus to AC as well. Also, it only works on Good characters and requires you to first chop your arm off. (So be extra sure that it actually is the Arm of Nyr first before you lop your freaking arm off.)

But honestly, there are better things you could spend your money on.

Armbands of Might (4100gp) comes to mind

animewatcha
2016-02-20, 03:37 AM
A +2 enhancement bonus to str or dex is 4k each. Ring of protection +2 is 8k. With arm of Tyr you are getting an untyped bonus to str, dex, +2 deflection, with limitation being for Good Characters ( which can be faked ). Here's another kicker. You can still put an arm slotted item on there too. If anything, it's underpriced A LOT.

Necroticplague
2016-02-20, 04:01 AM
A +2 enhancement bonus to str or dex is 4k each. Ring of protection +2 is 8k. With arm of Tyr you are getting an untyped bonus to str, dex, +2 deflection, with limitation being for Good Characters ( which can be faked ). Here's another kicker. You can still put an arm slotted item on there too. If anything, it's underpriced A LOT.

1. Having extra arms doesn't give your more arm slots.
2. It specifically says only that it replaces a lost arm, not give you another one.

I think it might be worth it if you've already maxed out the STR/DEX you can get from enhancement bonuses. Sure, it's utility is marginal but it's at least an improvement on what is likely the main thing you do that won't be wiped out by replacing with a different item. Except for the AC bonus, which will be eventually. At the very least, it's way cheaper than a +2 Manual of Gainful Excercise and +2 manual of quickness in action (and stacks with them, one you get around to getting them).

animewatcha
2016-02-20, 04:19 AM
Never implied that it gave another one. Just that it replaces the arm, but doesn't count for the arm slot.

As in wear something like vambraces of warding over it and be able to benefit from both.

Coidzor
2016-02-20, 04:30 AM
Depends on your level, wealth, and expected end level.

Necroticplague
2016-02-20, 05:10 AM
Never implied that it gave another one. Just that it replaces the arm, but doesn't count for the arm slot.

As in wear something like vambraces of warding over it and be able to benefit from both.

How is that any different from before you replaced your arm with the arm of nyr? Or heck, even if you lost an arm, you still have 1 arm slot, so I'm not sure how that fact is in any way relevant to the arm of nyr.

OldTrees1
2016-02-20, 09:15 AM
How is that any different from before you replaced your arm with the arm of nyr? Or heck, even if you lost an arm, you still have 1 arm slot, so I'm not sure how that fact is in any way relevant to the arm of nyr.

Cough cough, the words "can still" tend to refer to something not changing. Aka having an arm of nyr does not remove your arm slot, instead you can still use your arm slot. You are nitpicking against someone pointing out the Arm of Nyr does not cost the arms magic item slot despite being a magic item in that general area.

Shnigda
2016-02-20, 01:45 PM
Depends on your level, wealth, and expected end level.

If I start at level 10 and finish at level 20 (assuming no death...) with standard WBL, how would that change things?

OldTrees1
2016-02-20, 02:11 PM
If I start at level 10 and finish at level 20 (assuming no death...) with standard WBL, how would that change things?

It means the +2 Deflection will become obsolete leaving you with just the +2 untyped Str & Dex. Assuming you are making good use of both stats (Combat Reflexes?), that would be worth quite a lot at 20th. However it shouldn't be taken when it would exclude purchasing necessary items (Ex: Vision, Flight, Freedom of Movement, Mind Blank).

noob
2016-02-20, 03:50 PM
Is it written that if you loose an undead graft you loose its bonus.
If it was not you could graft yourself a zombie arm then remove it then graft a skeleton arm then remove it then put an arm of nyr?

Necroticplague
2016-02-22, 06:20 AM
Is it written that if you loose an undead graft you loose its bonus.
If it was not you could graft yourself a zombie arm then remove it then graft a skeleton arm then remove it then put an arm of nyr?

No, but there also aren't any rules for removing a graft. Not sure why you'd do that anyway, since theres no reason you can't have all 3 at one (only the arm of nyr says it replaces a limb).

RoyVG
2016-02-22, 08:39 AM
I'm just going to take the Magic Item Creation guidelines (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/creatingMagicItems.htm) and apply them here as much as possible.

A typical +2 enhancement bonus for ability scores is 4000 gp for each ability. You could argue it does not take up a slot (replaces your arm), so that doubles the price. A +2 untyped bonus would be 8000 gp a piece.
If I recall correctly, changing the bonus to something else doubles the price as well (Enhancement to untyped in this case). It might be in Magic Item Compendium, but I'm not taking that onto account because I'm AFB.

A +2 (untyped) bonus to Str and Dex that does not take up a body slot would cost 16,000 gp.
A +2 deflection bonus to AC costs another 8,000 gp,

Total costs would be 24,000gp

in the Magic Item Creation rules there is also something about reducing the price if a specific alignemnt is require. This reduces the price by 30%

24,000 * (1 - 0.3) = 16,800 gp

If we take the second doubling into account it changes as accordingly

(32,000 + 8,000) * (1 - 0.3) = 28,000 gp

So yeah, regardless, it's underpriced. If the AC bonus is lost because of other items, then it will be more closer Price you mentioned (11,200 gp) but considering you can still use an arm slot magic item, you are still getting a pretty sweet deal out of it.

Now that I think about it, would two of them stack, at least the +2 Str and +2 Dex part? They're untyped and in some way they're different sources... :smallbiggrin:

Necroticplague
2016-02-22, 08:54 AM
Now that I think about it, would two of them stack, at least the +2 Str and +2 Dex part? They're untyped and in some way they're different sources... :smallbiggrin:
The source is 'arm of nyr', so no dice on this one.

Bronk
2016-02-22, 10:22 AM
The source is 'arm of nyr', so no dice on this one.

Perhaps if you specified 'left handed arm of nyr' and 'right handed arm of nyr'...

animewatcha
2016-03-07, 01:38 AM
Sorry I didn't catch this sooner, but what is this source for changing enhancement bonus to 'untyped' being double in price?

Pluto!
2016-03-07, 02:11 AM
At low levels, it's fine (compared to +2 Str/+2 Dex enhancements' 8k gp street price and +2 Deflection's 8k gp, it's value, but you wouldn't necessarily want your expenses packaged like that).

At high levels (10+) it's great value (compared to the upgrade of two enhancements from +2 to +4, a 24k gp pricetag with Deflection's 8k tacked on for free is a steal at 12k total).

RoyVG
2016-03-07, 03:58 AM
Sorry I didn't catch this sooner, but what is this source for changing enhancement bonus to 'untyped' being double in price?

I am not sure, it might have been my imagination.

atemu1234
2016-03-07, 09:19 AM
I am not sure, it might have been my imagination.

That's a common houserule in a few games I've been a party to, if it helps. Actually, it was usually x4 to be untyped, x2 to be a different type.