PDA

View Full Version : First epic build - anybody wanna help?

LichdomCome
2016-02-20, 09:51 AM
Hey guys! So I'm trying to put together a very specific Barbarian build. I'm not trying to optimize per se, but just have fun with my concept. Roleplaying is a focus, so I'm not worried about having the best attack chain or feat or anything. I know there are some very talented builders, but I'm focused more on theme than razor-sharp crunch. Anybody have any suggestions, just for fun?

It's level 20, I'm thinking Female CN Arctic Half-Orc Barbarian 5/Runescarred Berzerker 4/Occult Slayer 1/Frostrager 5/Legendary Dreadnought 5.

Zeyjna Galeborn was a member of a nomadic tribe in the arctic wastes, produced by contact between her group and Human berserkers (Ice Troll Lodge feat). She is illiterate, big, and strong - a very cold juggernaut. Hates undead, and is unbelievably, erm, "frustrated" by those that are immune to her cold attacks (makes for some fun scenes). She has worked as a mercenary, bodyguard, and raider alongside ice trolls and frost giants since the death of her true love, who was killed by a necromancer. She is in a party with an EPIC paladin, and while fear is not a typical motivator for Zeyjna, she remains on her best behavior. It is to her advantage to maintain steady relations with the man who can help her avenge her loss, where her own abilities fail.

I'm prioritizing tolerance for damage over dexterity (she's a frozen Cain Marko), and will be using Barbarian class replacement options:

2nd level: Half-Orc Substitution, Reckless Charge (+4 attack while charging, -4 AC), no uncanny dodge
5th level: Bonus Feat, instead of Improved Uncanny Dodge (Improved Initiative).

As for weapons, I was thinking Masterwork Adamantine Minotaur Greathammer, with some kind of vs. Undead affects (ghost-touch? I dunno).

Anybody got any (nice, I'm not THAT experienced) comments or cool sounding ideas for this?

Tiri
2016-02-20, 09:57 AM
How are you getting into Legendary Dreadnought at level 16? It has a prerequisite of +23 BAB. Or I am I thinking of the wrong Legendary Dreadnought? The one I am referring to is the one in the SRD.

LichdomCome
2016-02-20, 10:09 AM
Uh, I'm not. I am an idiot and was building via some house rules in my head. Dangit, I'm sorry. Thanks for pointing that out. I suppose I could add levels of Champion of Gwynharwyf instead? Kind of neuters her a bit, I'm not sure how the hell I will enter the class hahahaha.

ExLibrisMortis
2016-02-20, 11:07 AM
Champion of Gwynharwyf is considered a very good prestige class for barbarians, and it makes you much tougher. You certainly won't get any weaker, and probably quite a bit more effective with it. Legendary Dreadnought, on the other hand, is only somewhat useful (not to mention, quite boring - it's a five-level PrC on repeat).

Frostrager pushes you towards unarmed full-attacking or pouncing, while raging. Runescarred Berserker, however, doesn't help much. Fist of the Forest could be very useful (maybe reflavour it as 'fist of the tundra').

Uncanny Dodge makes you much tougher than Reckless Charge or a bonus feat.

Look into a single-level Crusader dip, for the stance and delayed damage.

An arctic goliath might suit your character very well, too.

Basic example, just about reaching epic levels: barbarian 6/frostrager 5/champion of Gwynharwyf 10.
The barbarian levels are a bit tricky, with the following ACFs: Spiritual Lion Totem (CC) for pounce, replacing fast movement; City Brawler (Dragon 349), for Improved Unarmed Strike, Two-Weapon Fighting and Improved Two-Weapon Fighting, replacing martial weapon proficiency and medium armour proficiency; Dashing Step (Dragon 349), removing the -2 penalty to AC on a charge, replacing trap sense; and your choice of Whirling Frenzy or Ferocity, replacing your usual rage.
Feat-wise, take Superior Unarmed Strike, Snap Kick, Power Attack, Improved Bull Rush, Shock Trooper and Leap Attack. You won't get as much power out of them as a two-handed fighter, but it's still good. Also take Imperious Command and the Never Outnumbered skill trick.

The general idea is that you are good at two things: you can charge and full-attack with your unarmed strikes, dealing lots of damage, and you can intimidate many enemies at once, leaving them cowering for one round when you do. This means you'll want high strength, constitution and charisma. You'd normally need dexterity for TWF, but not with the barbarian ACF.

LichdomCome
2016-02-20, 01:34 PM
ExLibrisMortis - Thanks for the feat and skill set, that looks great! However, after looking at your comments I think I'd prefer to take Black Blood Cultist levels instead of Champion levels, and be a Frosty Werecreature. Have you tried this? It seems like the BB Cultist class features, matched with the feats you suggested would be awesome. We are level 20 so I won't reach Feral Form, but the 9 levels I do get seem preeetty awesome. I can take the PrC as CN alignment, meaning the Paladin won't have to kill me or anything.

EDIT: As an aside, GM requires full advancement of a PrC before starting a new one, so Barbarian 6/Frostrager 5/Black Blood Cultist 9 seems to be it for me.

TL;DR: Frozen Wererager FTW!