PDA

View Full Version : Class Trade off

The_Werebear
2007-06-17, 03:02 PM
I was recently considering modifying the Barbarian class for a campaign I was in, turning him more into a bare fisted berserker. What is the general opinion on what I would have to trade out of the class (Other than Rage) for the Unarmed damage progression of a Monk?

Starsinger
2007-06-17, 03:10 PM
Why trade out rage? I say keep rage, and just give him monk damage. If you really want to take something away, take away illiteracy, and trap sense.

Neon Knight
2007-06-17, 03:36 PM
Why bother with trading out class features?

Superior Unarmed Strike (A feat) from Tome of Battle gives you a better unarmed damage progression dependent on your level. If you actually have a monk level, superior armed strike causes you to be treated as a a monk 4 levels higher for purposes of determining unarmed damage.

Tome of Battle: Kicks major A!

InaVegt
2007-06-17, 04:41 PM
Why trade out rage? I say keep rage, and just give him monk damage. If you really want to take something away, take away illiteracy, and trap sense.

As I read it, he was willing to trade out most of the barbarian, just not the rage.

Rad
2007-06-17, 04:55 PM
since they are not meant to use them, I would forfeit the weapon proficiency. It kind of fits your concept.
As for balance... I was considering armor proficiency, but what you really need is something that is useful in late game, when fists become better than an axe... DR?

However, I am not sure if using an (enchanted) weapon would not be preferable to the unarmed strike.

The_Werebear
2007-06-17, 06:06 PM
A barbarian would still have simple weapon proficiency, and could wear magic gauntlets. Also, I was looking at Frostrager for a PRC.

Alright, so, not too much trade for it.

Thanks for the advice.

Matthew
2007-06-17, 06:15 PM
The Monk Unarmed Damage Progression, in my opinion, is one of the least appealing aspects of the Base Class. I wouldn't bother with it, a bare fisted / Gauntleted Barbarian Rager is already pretty formidable, especially if he has Improved Unarmed Strike and Power Attack.

Tallis
2007-06-17, 06:48 PM
The Monk Unarmed Damage Progression, in my opinion, is one of the least appealing aspects of the Base Class. I wouldn't bother with it, a bare fisted / Gauntleted Barbarian Rager is already pretty formidable, especially if he has Improved Unarmed Strike and Power Attack.

I believe gaunlets count as simple weapons, so improved unarmed strike wouldn't be necessary if the barbarian was wearing them.

Matthew
2007-06-17, 07:00 PM
Yes, but they are also Unarmed Strikes (which are also Simple Weapons). If you don't have Improved Unarmed Strike, you provoke an Attack of Opportunity.