PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder duel wielding bows question

thecrimsondawn
2016-02-20, 10:57 AM
So lets say I have 2 vestige arms and I want to duel wield two longbows or crossbows. I have a few questions related to this.
1:would I be able to two weapon fight with two bows/Xbows, and would the feat/feats help me?
2:since I have 2 extra arms, would I be able to load two bolts/arrows in one move action, or would I need rapid reload, or another such feat to do that?
3:Are there any feats that I can use as part of a full attack that add extra attacks or damage to my bow/xbow attacks?

I am more or less trying to get as much information as I can for making a powerful ranged build. Any source or logic on this would help a lot.

Psyren
2016-02-20, 12:43 PM
Unless you're using homebrew/3PP, none of the vestigial/extra arms abilities can be used to wield weapons. The only way to actually do this in 1P is via Kasatha, who have a ranger archetype (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/ranger/archetypes/paizo---ranger-archetypes/bow-nomad-kasatha-ranger-archetype) built around this.

thecrimsondawn
2016-02-20, 01:23 PM
Unless you're using homebrew/3PP, none of the vestigial/extra arms abilities can be used to wield weapons. The only way to actually do this in 1P is via Kasatha, who have a ranger archetype (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/ranger/archetypes/paizo---ranger-archetypes/bow-nomad-kasatha-ranger-archetype) built around this.

Benefit: The alchemist gains a new arm (left or right) on his torso. The arm is fully under his control and cannot be concealed except with magic or bulky clothing. The arm does not give the alchemist any extra attacks or actions per round, though the arm can wield a weapon and make attacks as part of the alchemist’s attack routine (using two-weapon fighting). The arm can manipulate or hold items as well as the alchemist’s original arms (for example, allowing the alchemist to use one hand to wield a weapon, another hand to hold a potion, and the third hand to throw a bomb). The arm has its own “hand” and “ring” magic item slots (though the alchemist can still only wear two rings and two hand magic items at a time).

It "is" strong enough to hold and use a weapon, and as such, you can duel wield two handed swords, or use a 2 handed sword or tower shield, ect. Since they are not giving extra attacks, it applies, so I find your statement flawed in this case.

Adrayll
2016-02-20, 01:43 PM
Benefit: The alchemist gains a new arm (left or right) on his torso. The arm is fully under his control and cannot be concealed except with magic or bulky clothing. The arm does not give the alchemist any extra attacks or actions per round, though the arm can wield a weapon and make attacks as part of the alchemist’s attack routine (using two-weapon fighting). The arm can manipulate or hold items as well as the alchemist’s original arms (for example, allowing the alchemist to use one hand to wield a weapon, another hand to hold a potion, and the third hand to throw a bomb). The arm has its own “hand” and “ring” magic item slots (though the alchemist can still only wear two rings and two hand magic items at a time).

It seems you've answered your own question then?

Florian
2016-02-20, 01:44 PM

It "is" strong enough to hold and use a weapon, and as such, you can duel wield two handed swords, or use a 2 handed sword or tower shield, ect. Since they are not giving extra attacks, it applies, so I find your statement flawed in this case.

Look closely at it: The arm does not give additional actions, does not really function outside a full attack action and it is not stated that Vestigial Arms can be combined to be a "real" set of arms.
So, no, no help at converting 2 regular and 2 vestigial arms into the ability to use 2 two-handed weapon simultaneously.

SwordChucks
2016-02-20, 02:46 PM
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong:

If you fire a light crossbow from each of your original hands and you have TWF, the penalty to hit is -4 (-2 from the light crossbow entry, -2 for attacking with two light weapons). A third arm would let you reload one crossbow as a move action, but if you have rapid reload you can reload both as a free action each. A second vestigial arm doesn't seem to help this attack routine.

Psyren
2016-02-20, 03:18 PM
As Florian said, they can use additional weapons IF your normal arms aren't already doing that. So dual-wielding 2-handers is out.