PDA

View Full Version : Restoring lost youth?

Aasimar
2016-02-20, 11:27 AM
We're playing in a d&d 5e game, and as it happens, we ran into a ghost of some sort, who did a frightful presence thing where two of us failed by enough to age by 1d4 x10 years.

My half elf aged from a 16 year old teen to 56 year old adult (since half elfs live to about 180, it's about the same as a human reaching age 30), our human paladin is worse off, jumping from about 30 to about 60.

The description says greater restoration within 24 hours will reverse this, but we're level 4, in a low magic norse setting and we happened to be more than a day out at sea, far from any worthwhile port, when it happened. (and we don't even know where we'd start to look for a caster able to cast greater restoration)

So, I'm thinking we'll, for the most part, just roll with it. There aren't any actual mechanical effects, and I'm having my bard take her lost youth in stride, a kind of 'stuff that happens happens, other stuff will happen tomorrow, it's all just part of our life's story, maybe we'll meet another ghost that'll make us younger?') she's chaotic good with int 7 and wisdom 9, so she's kinda loopy.

From an OOC perspective, I'm thinking what would be a reasonable way to reverse this at a later date?

Given that this is a Norse setting, with definite Norse gods, the surest bet would be to become a big enough hero to be granted one of Iğunn's apples. (or a good enough thief to steal one)

Are there other ways I should think about? Of the spells I've looked at, only Wish strikes me as maybe being able to reverse the damage after the 24 hour window is up.

hymer
2016-02-20, 12:07 PM
From an OOC perspective, I'm thinking what would be a reasonable way to reverse this at a later date?

Potion of Longevity can do it (DMG p.188). They're Very Rare, though, and may not exist in the campaign. Maybe you and the paladin need to start looking for Idun or a cleric of hers, and put this at (or at least near) the top of your priorities. If anyone knows about restoring youth, it should be them.

Daishain
2016-02-20, 12:41 PM
If strictly limited to 5E RAW, an alternative might be to seek out a sphinx and try to ask them for a favor (if in their lair they can increase or decrease a subject's age by as much as ten years at a time). Um, good luck with that

If not strictly limited, remember that the Phb spells are but a drop in the lake in regards to the possible forms magic can take. For instance, it wouldn't be too hard to imagine a divine order that attempts to use magic to ensure that death occurs at an appointed time, and thus seek to reverse aging or antiaging shenanigans, fight magical plagues, that kind of thing. So ask about the possibility of a spell which matches the age of a body to the age of the soul (or some other appropriately usable effect).

MaxWilson
2016-02-20, 01:18 PM
Are there other ways I should think about? Of the spells I've looked at, only Wish strikes me as maybe being able to reverse the damage after the 24 hour window is up.

If you multiclass to Wild Sorc, certain wild surges can make you younger. Or older. It's definitely a gamble.

A 14th level Transmuter can restore your youthful appearance but not your lifespan.

A wizard with a Clone spell can make you a new, younger body if you're willing to let the current one die. You might find that squicky or ethically troubling.

I believe Reincarnation could also work, although the way it interacts with things like variant human feats and Elven weapon proficiencies is... not well-defined.

Aasimar
2016-02-20, 01:39 PM
Thanks guys, Iğunn is probably the best bet, but I'll keep Clone in my back-pocket if we reach those kind of levels (I could use magical secrets to nab it at level 18)

I feel that in the grand scheme, it should be less trouble for a 16 year old soul in a 56 year old body to turn 16 again than it would be for a 56 year old to get young again. (a wish should be less likely to misfire, at least)

MaxWilson
2016-02-20, 02:12 PM
Thanks guys, Iğunn is probably the best bet, but I'll keep Clone in my back-pocket if we reach those kind of levels (I could use magical secrets to nab it at level 18)

I feel that in the grand scheme, it should be less trouble for a 16 year old soul in a 56 year old body to turn 16 again than it would be for a 56 year old to get young again. (a wish should be less likely to misfire, at least)

If you reach Bard 18, you don't need to nab Clone, just nab Wish and use it to cast Clone. Wish can duplicate an 8th level spell with zero risk of losing Wish.

Belac93
2016-02-20, 04:31 PM
In Norse mythology, there were the golden apples (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_apple#Norse_mythology)

In Norse mythology, the golden apples are the source of the gods' immortality and perpetual youth; comparable to the role of ambrosia in Greek mythology. They are cultivated by—and most often associated with—the goddess Iğunn.

lebefrei
2016-02-20, 11:40 PM
If the paladin follows the Oath of the Ancients, he can stop aging further upon reaching 15th level. While not a method to restore his lost youth, at least he won't die of old age in a decade or two.

Outside of roleplaying the care for the ongoing longevity of your characters, though, this is largely a non-issue. The lives of adventurers are usually short and rarely end in retirement. It could be argued especially for a paladin that retirement is impossible without breaking your oath. You adventure until you die, and an adventuring career is often measured in weeks or months, not years (unless using alternate rest rules).

Sigreid
2016-02-21, 12:09 AM

You don't have to reach that level. You have to get an item that grants wishes and use it for clone, or get something that a person or creature who can cast wish or cone values enough to cast it on your behalf. At the DM's discretion, this could be a bit of lore, a huge pile of treasure, or a merry tune. Outside that, there may be other planes that could manage for you. If you have a cleric in the party, they could try their divine intervention class feature. All of this is dependent on the DM being willing to facilitate your youth.

Mjolnirbear
2016-02-21, 01:09 AM
You're not limited to Iğunn.

The dwarves are known for their craftsmanship of many magical things.

Oğin has knowledge of all the runes. Surely one or two of them can help.

The Norns may have some potential though they are said to be immune to bribes or prayer.

There is also the Well of Mimír said to have all knowledge.

hymer
2016-02-21, 01:46 AM
You're not limited to Iğunn.

The dwarves are known for their craftsmanship of many magical things.

Oğin has knowledge of all the runes. Surely one or two of them can help.

The Norns may have some potential though they are said to be immune to bribes or prayer.

There is also the Well of Mimír said to have all knowledge.

Considering the reaction of the gods to the loss of the golden apples, I'm afraid they don't have a better way, and if they can't get dwarves or norns to do things for them... Of course, that story wouldn't have been so dramatic otherwise, so it may have been poetic license. But allowing other options might undermine that particular myth.

MaxWilson
2016-02-21, 04:33 AM
Considering the reaction of the gods to the loss of the golden apples, I'm afraid they don't have a better way, and if they can't get dwarves or norns to do things for them... Of course, that story wouldn't have been so dramatic otherwise, so it may have been poetic license. But allowing other options might undermine that particular myth.

Now I want the players to find a younger Clone of Odin growing in a dungeon somewhere.

Cybren
2016-02-21, 07:01 AM
Sounds like an adventure hook to me. Hopefully the DM will see that this is kind of a big deal to you guys and play along. Maybe say that outright: "I want find a way to restore my youth"?