PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Arcane pool and +X GP enhancements

digiman619
2016-02-20, 03:59 PM
I'm looking at Ultimate Equipment and see a lot of weapon special abilities that have a price in GP rather than enhancement bonus (a dueling weapon costs "+14,000 gp"). How would that effect a paladin/magus/soulknife who wanted to add that ability via divine bond/arcane pool/to their mindblade?

Psyren
2016-02-20, 04:12 PM
Buy a Crystal Hilt (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/psionics-unleashed/equipment/psionic-items/crystalline-focus-items) and stick those abilities onto that.

digiman619
2016-02-20, 05:11 PM
Two concerns about that: 1) Can you even enchant a crystal hilt? and 2) What about paladins and magi?

Psyren
2016-02-20, 05:41 PM
Two concerns about that: 1) Can you even enchant a crystal hilt? and 2) What about paladins and magi?

1) They count as weapons (see their slot) so yes.
2) What about them? Those folks can just buy normal weapons. If they're multiclass soulknives, see above.

digiman619
2016-02-20, 06:58 PM
They also explicitly say they can't have a bonus over +3. Does that mean that I can give it up to +2 worth of abilities (I can only hope you wouldn't waste them with ones your soulknife could already do)?

Florian
2016-02-21, 09:58 AM
I'm looking at Ultimate Equipment and see a lot of weapon special abilities that have a price in GP rather than enhancement bonus (a dueling weapon costs "+14,000 gp"). How would that effect a paladin/magus/soulknife who wanted to add that ability via divine bond/arcane pool/to their mindblade?

Not knowing the Soulknife class, the other classes are pretty much unaffected as their option list is fixed and only in rare cases new enhancements are added to that list.

DarkSoul
2016-02-21, 10:37 AM
The most correct answer would be "Ask your DM."

The RAW answer would be as Florian said. There are fixed lists of enchantments available for Paladin and Magus. Anything else needs to be added separately. If you're referring to the Soulknife from 3.5 they have a set list as well.

The optimistic answer would be that you could convert the GP cost for the augmentation you're looking for into a ballpark enchantment level and use it that way. My reasoning would be that a 14,000 gp augmentation would be about a +2 enchantment: 18,000 for a +3 weapon - 2,000 for the base +1 = 16,000. Making it a +1 enchantment would be too low: 8,000 for a +2 weapon - 2,000 base cost = 6,000.

Psyren
2016-02-21, 10:46 AM
They also explicitly say they can't have a bonus over +3. Does that mean that I can give it up to +2 worth of abilities (I can only hope you wouldn't waste them with ones your soulknife could already do)?

You're not asking about +X enhancements though, aren't you asking about the flat +Y,000 gp enhancements? Those have no limit, you can pile them all on there.

The +3 cap on the hilt means that you free up +3 on the blade itself that you can reallocate to other special abilities. So for example, if before you had a +6 mind blade (+4 enhancement, +2 worth of abilities), a +3 hilt would let you add those three to the enhancement, then move the two you freed up to special abilities (end result: +5 enhancement, +4 worth of abilities.) Then you pile the flat-cost specials onto your hilt as well.

Kurald Galain
2016-02-21, 02:18 PM

Actually that doesn't work. Divine Bond and Arcane Pool both have a fixed list of abilities they can grant, and none of the "fixed cost" abilities are on that list.