PDA

View Full Version : Ritual Magic House Rules?

EscherEnigma
2016-02-20, 05:27 PM
I was interested in house rules centered around ritual magic and couldn't find much, so I tried writing up my own real quick. It sounds good to me, but of course it would. So I'm looking for feedback/alternatives/"hey look dumbass, look at this. ****in' kids can't be bothered to google no more, what's the world comin' to."

Basic Idea: Anyone with the ritual caster trait can keep a ritual book. They don't automatically get any spells for it, but can copy spells that are on their spell list and of a level they can cast per the rules for wizards copying spells into their spell book (PHB pg 114). Then, like a wizard, they can cast the spell as a ritual from their book without having it on their known/prepared list.

Intent: I like the idea of ritual spells and would like to make it more accessible. Allowing casters that already have access to ritual spells not have to use a known spell/prepared spell slot on it makes it more likely that it'll be used.

Thanks for any time/input.

Silavor
2016-02-20, 05:57 PM
I don't know if it's necessarily broken/overpowered, but this is essentially giving all the full casters the Ritual Caster feat for their class. I'm always a little leery of homebrew that gives away feats for free.

JackPhoenix
2016-02-21, 01:59 PM
The only class where that make any difference is bard...wizard needs to have the spells in his book anyway, and cleric and druid can change their prepared spells every day, but bard is stuck with what he knew...but if there's any spellcasting class that don't need any more buffs, it's bard.

EscherEnigma
2016-02-21, 09:24 PM
/checks_book

Huh. Sorcerers don't get ritual magic. Guess that kind of makes sense, but still, not what I was expecting.

Still, not quite just for Bards. Clerics and Druids still have to, by RAW, have the spell prepared before they can cast it as a ritual. This would allow them to copy the spell into their "ritual book" so that they could cast it as a ritual without preparation. But that probably would be too good as they could just prepare it, ink it, then swap it out the next day.

So yeah, I think you guys have talked me down.

Thanks for the input.