PDA

View Full Version : Need a way for a spymaster to attend meetings without being there

Ringadon
2016-02-20, 06:51 PM
Playing in a Kingmaker game where my character is the spymaster. However I've run into a bit of a problem where people are beginning to suspect my position and guard their words around me. What I need is a way to attend and participate in council meetings (we're an oligarchy if that matters) while not coming within 3 or 4 hundred feet of the castle we meet in. Character wise I'm a centaur using the DSP Visir class with aspect of the ruler. Any and all suggestions welcome.

Jormengand
2016-02-20, 06:53 PM
Scrying on the meeting? Sending if you want to tell someone something? I don't know what your class abilities are because I've never read that class, but you can use items of those spells.

Ringadon
2016-02-20, 07:07 PM
Scrying on the meeting? Sending if you want to tell someone something? I don't know what your class abilities are because I've never read that class, but you can use items of those spells.

Don't have great access to those options.

nedz
2016-02-20, 07:56 PM
I suspect that we might need to know more about your character before we can offer meaningful advice ?

Ringadon
2016-02-20, 08:48 PM
Will do once home from game. The subterfuge is done this session.

The Viscount
2016-02-21, 01:32 PM
Sounds like a job for sense link or Psibond Agent.

The Grue
2016-02-21, 01:35 PM
Playing in a Kingmaker game where my character is the spymaster. However I've run into a bit of a problem where people are beginning to suspect my position and guard their words around me. What I need is a way to attend and participate in council meetings (we're an oligarchy if that matters) while not coming within 3 or 4 hundred feet of the castle we meet in. Character wise I'm a centaur using the DSP Visir class with aspect of the ruler. Any and all suggestions welcome.

You're not getting your juicy intel from council meetings alone are you?

Honestly it's fine that people guard their words around you. That means they know you're serious business. This is a spymaster role working as intended; what you need to do is take that a step further and make them think that your ears are everywhere, not just in the council meetings.

You'll know you've got it right when people come to you of their own accord and beg forgiveness for transgressions you weren't even aware of.

Troacctid
2016-02-21, 03:10 PM
Complete Scoundrel has a two-way mirror that would allow you to teleconference, IIRC.

Psyren
2016-02-21, 03:33 PM
Get a familiar or psicrystal to spy for you. Bonus points if it can speak (for the former of course, the latter can always speak.)

Ringadon
2016-02-21, 03:42 PM
I should clarify. The council knows I'm the spymaster what I want is for the npc's of the kingdom to not be in the fact. My attendance of the meetings is expected but if the citizenry of the kingdom begins to suspect that I'm the intelligence agency for the kingdom then my efficacy is compromised somewhat heavily.

I'll talk the 2 way mirror thing over with my DM that may work but I'm not sure if we're allowing 3.x material or just 3pp specific to pathfinder. We'll find out.

Thanks Playground.

Psyren
2016-02-21, 03:48 PM
What you actually need then is a cover - if you're openly there as X (say, Master of Coin or Master of Ceremonies) then no one will consider the fact that you're really there as Y. Or have someone else there as the "Master of Whispers" and flagrantly point that guy out as the Spymaster at every turn, while you act as their unassuming clerk or scribe, running the show behind the scenes. Everyone knows that guy is the spymaster, so they never suspect you. (In Wheel of Time, the Children of the Light have a similar arrangement.)

Ringadon
2016-02-21, 03:53 PM
What you actually need then is a cover - if you're openly there as X (say, Master of Coin or Master of Ceremonies) then no one will consider the fact that you're really there as Y. Or have someone else there as the "Master of Whispers" and flagrantly point that guy out as the Spymaster at every turn, while you act as their unassuming clerk or scribe, running the show behind the scenes. Everyone knows that guy is the spymaster, so they never suspect you. (In Wheel of Time, the Children of the Light have a similar arrangement.)

We've actually got that but I'm trying to build additional deniability.

"I'm just an adventurer who settled in the area and bought a tavern. I occasionally do odd jobs for the council but that's just because I'm extremely competent."

Despite this fact there's still rumors going around that I'm actually a shadow member of the council. So I'm trying to not physically be seen entering the council chambers/castle at all or interacting with them. Though this may have all become a moot point as of the end of our last session... We got roflstomped by an opposing warband from a neighboring kingdom and giant permanent images of our defeated unconscious forms plastered across the sky of both our cities. I'm still working on a way to spin this in a way that our kingdom doesn't completely fall apart.

Also our kingdom's going to war... but that's a separate issue.

Janthkin
2016-02-22, 01:51 PM
Despite this fact there's still rumors going around that I'm actually a shadow member of the council. So I'm trying to not physically be seen entering the council chambers/castle at all or interacting with them. Hat of Disguise? If your principle concern is NPCs, then basic Illusions should cover most of them. Bonus points for using multiple such, so someone can be "you" minding the bar while the meetings are going on. (I'm going to assume that simply Teleporting into the council's chambers is appropriately prevented.)

Hell, simple disguises should suffice. Embrace your inner Batman.

SZbNAhL
2016-02-22, 01:56 PM
Do you really need a way to "be there" without being there, or would it be sufficient to convince people you're elsewhere while really being in the meeting? Because a friendly caster in another city could cast alter self and do something big and showy like stop a criminal (you're a spymaster, you can arrange a petty crime, right?) or make a speech.

Nibbens
2016-02-22, 02:05 PM
Wand of Arcane Eye? Put a rank in Linguistics (lipreading) and a few in UMD to use the wand and blammo - you're there and no one knows.

Segev
2016-02-22, 04:41 PM
I am unclear on what your requirement is. Do you need to be SEEN to be attending the meetings, or do you need to NOT be seen to be attending them? Do you need to actually know what happens at them or just get a report later?

ExLibrisMortis
2016-02-22, 06:18 PM
I am unclear on what your requirement is. Do you need to be SEEN to be attending the meetings, or do you need to NOT be seen to be attending them? Do you need to actually know what happens at them or just get a report later?
What I'm getting is this:
1) The spymaster is a member of the council.
2) As such, the spymaster is expected to attend council meetings.
3) The general population is becoming aware of this adventurer being the spymaster, because they spend a lot of time with the council, while not appearing to be in the council officially (implying shadyness).
4) This is causing the general population to keep quiet around the spymaster.
5) This is not good for the spymaster.
6) As such, the spymaster is looking to appear less involved in the council.

As an alternative to 6, you can do what was suggested before, and simply get an official, honourary position in the council. Maybe, as adventurer, you're chief bodyguard or something.

Crake
2016-02-22, 09:54 PM
What you need to realise is that there is a difference between a "Spy-master" and a "Master-spy". You are the former, not the latter. A spymaster is the top of the spy organization. For it to be known he is in that position is, quite frankly, expected. His job is not to be a spy himself, but to manage all the other spies, and make the big decisions about who to send where, who needs to be watched and followed and, once all the information from all across the realm is gathered, to piece it all together and form a conclusion.

If you've ever heard of eve-online and goonswarm, you may have heard the phrase "The mittani sends his regards". You are the mittani in this case. Everyone knows you, and everyone knows you have eyes and ears everywhere. There's multiple deep cover agents in all the important agencies, and none of them are even aware of each other. You have eyes and ears everywhere, and it's that knowledge that drives your enemies to fear you and your capabilities, not the mysticism behind hiding who you are. In fact, by revealing yourself to be the spymaster, you show an even greater display of power, as you are safe in the knowledge that your organization will catch any who attempt anything against you personally.

Now of course, you probably still want to make sure your head quarters are hidden by both mundane and magical means, and only keep your most trusted followers at hand, but you should not be afraid if people know your name, in fact, you should WANT people to know your name.