PDA

View Full Version : Disintegrate vs Death Ward

AB
2007-06-17, 03:23 PM
Hi folks,

rule question: does Death Ward protect you from a Disintegrate-spell? I would not think so, as the spell produces no death effect, but simply erases a target - Death Ward should merely protect you from spells like Finger of Death or Slay Living: spells with the Death-description. My DM however reads Disintegrate as a magic death effect, since it is a spell and the result of its use against a living target is immediate death. By the way, we play D&D 3.0.

So, who is right here? And, in case I am, how could I proof it? Is there some official answer to this question anywhere in an errata?

Thanks!

Jack_Simth
2007-06-17, 03:30 PM
Your DM is correct by way of rule 0, which trumps the books.

By the book, though, you're correct. Disintegrate doesn't kill, anymore than a fireball does. It doesn't have the [Death] descriptor, it's not a save or die spell (it's save or massive damage), and it's not a negative energy effect.

DON'T TRY TO PROVE IT

sleeping fishy
2007-06-17, 03:47 PM
Your DM is correct by way of rule 0, which trumps the books.

By the book, though, you're correct. Disintegrate doesn't kill, anymore than a fireball does. It doesn't have the [Death] descriptor, it's not a save or die spell (it's save or massive damage), and it's not a negative energy effect.

DON'T TRY TO PROVE IT

plz, build a bridge & get over it... dms just the guy running the game, not god... if he wants to make a houserule the players are fine with, cool, but if hes just misreading the rules theres nothin wrong with convincing him.

you can point out the [death] tag spells have, what it means (not just spells that kill!!) & how its referenced... you can also point out disintegrate DOESNT KILL, it does damage, by that logic meteor swarm is [death] spell if it kill you!!

AB
2007-06-17, 03:54 PM
Well, does Disintegrate do damage? You don`t have to roll dice, so it is at least very similar to an instant death effect such as with Finger of Death etc. - in the result.

MeklorIlavator
2007-06-17, 03:58 PM
Well, does Disintegrate do damage? You don`t have to roll dice, so it is at least very similar to an instant death effect such as with Finger of Death etc. - in the result.

Uhh...

Disintegrate
Transmutation
Level: Destruction 7, Sor/Wiz 6
Components: V, S, M/DF
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./level)
Effect: Ray
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: Fortitude partial (object)
Spell Resistance: Yes

A thin, green ray springs from your pointing finger. You must make a successful ranged touch attack to hit. Any creature struck by the ray takes 2d6 points of damage per caster level (to a maximum of 40d6). Any creature reduced to 0 or fewer hit points by this spell is entirely disintegrated, leaving behind only a trace of fine dust. A disintegrated creature’s equipment is unaffected.

A creature or object that makes a successful Fortitude save is partially affected, taking only 5d6 points of damage. If this damage reduces the creature or object to 0 or fewer hit points, it is entirely disintegrated.

I think you do have to roll dice.

lord_khaine
he said they were playing in 3.0, disintegrate kills outright there, no damage.
still its not a death effect, since it does not have that descriptor, so death ward wont help save you.

Green Bean

What are you talking about? The spell does 2d6 per caster level, 5d6 on a successful Fort save. :smallconfused:

Edit: Both simu'd and disproved :smallredface: