PDA

View Full Version : Dai'Chul, An Asian Inspired Adventure

PallentisLunam
2016-02-20, 09:26 PM
Zhongyang, the capital of the Empire of Kievmen, is a bustling metropolis filled with the very best the empire has to offer. A vast majority of the noble houses maintain their primary enclaves within the walls of the great city, but they all pale in comparison to the Imperial Palace. This imposing edifice is home to the youngest empress the ancient kingdom has ever known, Ariana Zhe.

It is this very ruler who has issued a summons to the two noble scions that now wait in the antechamber of her throne room. After a quarter of an hour, an elderly man wearing a ceremonial dou and carrying a polished jade staff with a golden cap on the bottom opens the door to the throne room, "The Empress will see you now." Turning he casts the doors open wide and strikes the marble floors of the palace three times. "Announcing, Lord Ardent of House Kensho and Lady Shan of House White!"

The guard captain walks forward between two rows of thick, ornate columns, and over a dozen guards. Climbing the four wide marble steps, the venerable man takes his place at his Empress's right hand and strikes the ground once more.

The Empress, her face porcelain white, her lips ruby red, her hair tied up in a perfect bun and held in place by a lotus blossom comb. She raises her left hand, palm outward, in greeting to her audience before speaking "In accordance with imperial law, you both have been summoned here to represent your respective houses on a fact finding mission of utmost importance. Something is very wrong on our borders and we don't have any idea what. Your mission is to go to Wai Province in the South Holdings and gather intelligence on the situation there. We have had no communication from House Lare in over a fortnight. You will have all the supplies you need, but I have no further knowledge to share."

Capt. Infinity
2016-02-20, 11:03 PM
Ardent follows the ceremony of the situation, but couldn't fully keep himself from smiling as he saw his old childhood friend for the first time in what must've been months. He bows cordially, as is per standard. "Of course my Empress, anything to do good for the kingdom. Captain Kaven, is there any further information you could supply about the area and situation in general?" The young swordsman had to forcibly refrain from saying "Ariana", and "Uncle" as he spoke. Were there no other guests, he likely wouldn't think twice of his informality, but Lady Shan was clearly an individual who sought respect and cordiality, and he had been warned long ago to never give a member of the House White ammunition against you.

That knowledge didn't stop him from being polite, though. "Greetings, Lady Shan. Pleased to meet you." He nods sideways to the fellow member of noble standing.

HuskyBoi
2016-02-21, 09:21 PM
Lady Shan bows to the Empress, and replies. "Anything to serve, My Empress. May we bring swift success to you". Then she turns, and walks out of the throne room- the meeting evidently over. As she leaves, she turns to reply to Ardent with a smile.

My Lord, it is a pleasure to meet you too. An honour to serve alongside House Kensho- your name is legend, of course, and yet of yourself, Lord Ardent, I know so little. I hope you might regale me with a few stories of that sword- is it a decoration, or have you also been trained in it's use?" Her voice is charming, her tone one of genuine interest, and as they walk out of the throne room, she looks to start up a conversation with her new partner.

PallentisLunam
2016-02-21, 09:29 PM
Kaven clears his throat, eyes straight ahead he begins to deliver additional information, "The region is stable but has been plagued by sea raiders over the past few years. A journey to Wai province can be made through the mountain passes or by sea. Both pose their own set of risks and possess their own set of advantages. Your task is to assess the situation and report, specifically on the strange malady that has cropped up in the south and the reason why House Lare has ceased communications at this crucial time. You have every initiative and discretion afforded by imperial law."

Capt. Infinity
2016-02-22, 07:26 PM
"And we shall use it to the best of our abilities. Farewell, my Empress, and good Captain. When we return, I hope it is with good tidings." As Lady Shan turns to leave, Ardent takes the opportunity to smile and wave to his lifelong friend, mouthing out "Bye Ariana" before turning to leave the room.

Once outside, the young swordsman can't help but smile at the noblewoman's interest. True, he knew of her House's pride in gathering information, but he also knew of his House's love of giving it freely, and the nobleman decided to give the woman the benefit of the doubt on her intentions. "Heh. I can't fault you for your curiosity. I don't exactly have the grizzled physique of a hardened warrior. But rest assured I am more than capable of using my blade." He proudly places his right palm on the hilt of his blade. "I've seen my fair share of combat, though not in the name of my House or its borders, as most of my kinsman do. I guess you could say I fancy myself a beacon for the people, doing good around the local area nearby the capital in an effort to help the lower classes. Slay some monsters, fight some insurgents, solve a mystery or two. That's been my passion as of late. But my heart is pledged towards the realm, and the Empire has no greater voice than that of its Empress." He smiles honestly, seeming to be genuinely happy with his life of kindness.

"But what of you? I won't lie when I say that there is a... Variety of reputations that precede the House of White. But I refuse to give in to stereotype, so tell me about yourself. What brings you here, to the foot of the Empress? Honour? Adventure? Boredom? The elite of the Empire sees all sorts rise to power, where do you stake your claim?"

HuskyBoi
2016-02-22, 09:43 PM
"It is a noble ideal to be so devoted to the realm, and to it's people. I see you are a man of honour," Lady Shan replies. I too am here to serve my Empress- she is a fine ruler, long may she reign and provide for us. My house looks to serve her as best we can, as is our duty- should we not all provide our resources as best we can?" At this, Shan smiles. "Ah, and it seems you have heard the stories of our resources. Fear not, my Lord, I shall be taking no notes of anything untoward. My family has long taken an interest in the histories of Dai'Chul, and it's great families. Did you know, The Geneologies from Zhou to Song was penned by my grandfather, Zhen of House White? Many of our residing noble families lineages can, with due diligence, be traced all the way back to the founding of the Empire. It is a fascinating read, if one is curious as to one's heritage. If memory serves me correctly, House Kensho has been a part of this great nation since it's very beginning. There are countless stories of your Houses's great deeds and valorous conduct, penned in song and script- more than House White could ever hope to write out in full. And yet, we know there is always more to be learned. Each family's history is so vivid and rich, we can only hope to find more of interest" Shan beams with pride as she mentions her grandfather, and smiles at the Lord opposite her. She is happy to hear him talk plenty of his exploits and adventures.

"But, my lord, in accordance with our Imperial Majesty's proclamation, we should depart at once. There will be a long journey ahead to hear your stories of adventure!"

Shan is not really telling any untruths, but a cynical ear might detect another level of truth hidden between her words, which she is carefully concealing. In case a Bluff roll is needed, here is one:

[roll0]

Capt. Infinity
2016-02-22, 10:01 PM
Ardent fails to hold in a genuine chuckle. "Have I read your grandfather's book? Oh, my dear Lady, you have much to learn of me yet. For now, I can tell you I am more than aware of the worth of our lineages, and that I am the absolute last person you need to tell of the value of history." His eyes turn steely when she mentions their mission. "Ah yes. Let's not keep the beleaguered province waiting. Forward!"

Ready to scene skip whenever! :smallbiggrin:

PallentisLunam
2016-02-22, 10:46 PM
The two nobles decide to head to the gates of the grand city and charter a coach to take them south overland to the Yahvak mountains.

About a day into their journey, just as they are passing out of the rice paddies that feed the great capital, an unearthly cry rends the air. The horses pulling the coach shriek and rear causing it to jerk and shudder. The driver cries out, "My lords! Look!" he points towards the line of trees in the distance where a sleight humanoid figure faces a towering mass of sodden earth and twisted wood.
asdflove, that's your queue. Traveling through the forest you have earned the ire of a nature spirit that recognizes you as foreign to this world.

Far away in the south, the spirits call to those who listen. Punting her raft gently down the river she has traveled a dozen dozen time Jingfei feels the familiar prickling of her skin that signals the presence of a being of water. It beckons her further down the river towards the long lake which stretches for miles and provides for many, both physical and ethereal.

asdflove
2016-02-23, 12:17 AM
Rain backs away slowly from the monstrous nature spirit, cautiously drawing her sword, but not actually attacking. "Good nature-thingy." She laughs nervously. "I love nature! I grew up with fey and everything! They're like, supernature-y." She flashes a nervous smile up at the creature, not knowing how intelligent it may be, so not knowing if her words would mean anything. "I don't want to hurt you."

Capt. Infinity
2016-02-23, 12:40 AM
In an instant, Ardent is on the move. He leaps from the cart, and makes a beeline through the rice paddies towards the spirit, his mind racing all the way. It's body is amorphous, and it appears to be favouring the side facing away from me. If I can strike at just the right... Place... Upon his approach, and upon reaching the creature assaulting what appears to be an Elven girl, Ardent plants his foot into the ground mid-run, entering a forward spin as he draws his sword and makes un upwards strike against the spirit's less- protected flank.

Move Action: Get up to melee range with the spirit.
Standard Action: Attack the Spirit, power attacking for 2.
Attack Roll: [roll0]
Damage Roll: [roll1]
Edit: WAIT. Make that 10 Damage, since you get double your investment with two-handed power attacks.

ThisIsZen
2016-02-23, 12:52 AM
Jingfei Youju drifted gently downriver, wooden mask for the moment resting on a string around her neck, hands holding the wooden rod she used to guide the raft. The call was undeniable, and she was traveling in the same direction regardless. A faint smile touched her lips as she lifted the mask to her face, pulled the fur of her cloak closer about her shoulders, and pushed the raft further on towards the beckoning spirit.

Youju stands a slight 5'1", built more like a reed than an oak tree. Her skin is perpetually almost white, and in certain lighting appears tinged with a faint blue or green, and this coloration extends to her hair and eyes. She has been on occasion likened to a ghost or a celestial. She dresses practically, with a tunic and pants bound at the waist with a leather belt, hip-high leather boots treated to resist water, as well as gloves and a leather pack. The two most noticeable articles of clothing she wears, however, are the heavy, hooded fur cloak and the wooden mask which, together, completely obscure her features. The mask is finely made, oiled and secured to her head with a length of sturdy twine, and depicts a guardian spirit important in the folklore of one of the villages she has aided in her travels. Her clothing is hard-worn, but rarely dirty, as Youju frequently swims in it, as at home in the water as on land. Most of it is brown or beige, and the fur of her cloak looks to have come from a wolf.

HuskyBoi
2016-02-24, 01:02 AM
Shan runs up to the create alonside Ardent. In an ideal world, she would have liked to negotiate first, but Ardent's attack may have made that difficult... still, one can always try.

"Spirit! Have calm, and pray do not harm us. We wish to pass peacefully through- may we be allowed to pass through? We mean no harm to this land"

She glances towards Rain, somewhat perplexed by the giggling girl.

"And, uh, young lady... be careful! Do not draw the ire of the spirit- we must be respectful. Ardent, put up your sword and show courtesy!"

Shan hopes this will work. She has not engaged with spirits before, only read of them. Just in case, she loosens a knife in it's sheath, concealed deep inside the sleeves of her robe.

Capt. Infinity
2016-02-24, 10:10 AM
Ardent quickly reads his surroundings. "...Ah. Whoops." He quickly plunges his sword into the ground, kneeling before the mighty spirit. "A thousand apologies, noble spirit. I acted without thinking. Whatever your course of action may be, tell me this: What is your intention with this girl?"

I might as well give it a shot...

Diplomacy: [roll0]

PallentisLunam
2016-02-24, 09:52 PM
Ardent's overzealousness inflames the already unhappy nature spirit. With a roar it's form coalesces into a roughly humanoid shape and the wood within it grows massive wicked thorns. It doesn't look like words will be of any use now.

Intiatives please.

Far away in the south, Youju arrives at the massive bow of the river. She notes that soon the river's course will cut off the lake and what was one will become two. For now however there are more important things to consider. The pull of the spirits becomes even stronger and Youju can feel the source of it moving toward her from deep beneath the mirrored surface of the water.

With a great swell the water breaks over the back of great sinuous, scaled body. A massive squarish head, beautifully scaled with flecks of blue on a sea of white comes to rest on the end of Youju's raft. Long prehensile whiskers drape over the sides into the water. It speaks with a deep rumbling voice, "Ahh, so it is you who burns so brightly." Its wide glassy eyes examine the being before it. "I must say, I was expecting someone a little less stiff." One tendril taps Youju's mask. The glint in the dragon's eye makes it clear that it is only joking in good fun.

ThisIsZen
2016-02-25, 08:28 AM
She had set the pole to rest across the length of her vessel as the raft drifted out onto the lake. She took a seat at the center, gently guiding the raft out, but she needed to put little effort in - the water was calm, the surface broken only by her passage, the currents gentle. Even without the hum of the other world all about her, this was a place of peace. For a moment she simply closed her eyes and listened to the sounds, to her own breathing, to everything.

Her eyes did not snap open as the river god lifted its head from beneath the water; she heard the swell and the breach, and slowly opened her eyes to regard the approaching figure. It was only as the dragon rested its head on the edge of her raft that she realized exactly what had happened. Exactly what she was looking at. She was at a loss for words.

When her mask was tapped, the reverie broke, and she clumsily pulled it loose and let it sit again around her neck. "I-I... my apologies!"

She was not afraid, necessarily - if harm was intended she wouldn't be alive. She was, however, certainly awestruck.

Around her, the hum was nearly singing.

PallentisLunam
2016-02-25, 01:38 PM
The enraged nature spirit flails wildly at Ardent with two massive thorned limbs as a voice bellows in the minds and ears of all present. «Anata wa watashi o toru koto wa arimasen!»

1st: [roll0]; Damage: [roll1]
2nd: [roll2]; Damage: [roll3]
The creature is speaking Terran if anybody understands that I will translate
Initiatives:
26 - Nature Spirit
16 - Lady Shan
11 - Ardent Kensho
2 - Rain

"So formal." the dragon says with a chuckle, "Serious topics do not always merit such a serious tone, bright one." Rolling off of the raft the dragon swims lazy circles around Youju's craft on it's back. "Tell me, bright one, you heard my call, but what else have you felt in the world of mists lately? How far do your other senses take you?"

Relaxing one day in the steamy bamboo forests of her home Kakyoku is stirred awake by Senritsu. The avian is intensely keyed up, flapping and cawing at Kakyoku.

Once the girl is awake Senritsu flits off to a nearby branch and holds out his leg to which a small scrap of paper has been tied with a single dark hair.

HuskyBoi
2016-02-25, 08:12 PM
Shan takes a step back from the beast, hoping to move beyond range of it's attacks- combat is by no means her speciality, and she has never been in a situation to duel with a spirit before. Once out of range, she draws a dagger from within her sleeve and hurls it towards the spirit.

Move back 20ft, so as to be out of range of attacks. Then attack with a thrown dagger.

Attack roll: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

Confirmation roll: [roll2]
Damage: [roll3]

"Lord Ardent! Time to demonstrate your prowess!"

Capt. Infinity
2016-02-25, 11:36 PM
Ardent grits his teeth as the spirit tears into him, despite his best efforts to block the oncoming strikes. Seeing, that the time for talk is over, Ardent enters a battle-ready stance, and faces down the mighty wooden creature. He raises an eyebrow at the creature's statement, before calling back to it in its native tongue. <<Watashi wa akumada arimasen! Watashi wa hitobito ni yūjinda, to watashi wa, kono shōjo o hogo ****e imasu.>>

I am no demon! I am a friend to the people, and I am protecting this girl.

He steals a glance at Shan, a smirk on his face. "With pleasure, dear Lady!" He shouts, before unleashing a flurry of strikes upon the spirit.

Swift Action: Switch to Punishing Stance. +1d6 damage to all rolls, but AC now at 13.

Full Round Action: First attack, power attacking for two:
Attack: [roll0]
Crit Confirm: [roll1]
Damage: [roll2] + [roll3] Crit! 30 Damage in total!

Second attack, with no power attack:
Attack: [roll4]
Crit Confirm: [roll5]
Damage: [roll6] + [roll7] Let's... Just ignore this one :/

INoKnowNames
2016-02-26, 09:48 AM
Clouds of absolute blackness. The ocean, turbulent and unforgiving. Thunderbolts cracking the skies and splitting the waters.

The same reoccurring nightmare wracks Kakyoku once again. She may no longer be the same little girl she was so many years ago, but these terrors nevertheless leave her gasping for air upon her release from them. It takes her a few moments to remember just why she was resting until the sun had climbed further into the sky, and why she was already a ways away from her 'family', on what may be the final day of her safe existence in her 'home'.

She calls Senritsu to her shoulder after taking the letter from him, and unconsciously climbs down from her perch to tread the same familiar path through the forest as she opens it, hoping that her message had been clear, and that this response would be full of information she so desperately needed about the world outside her borders.

PallentisLunam
2016-02-27, 11:50 AM
Lady Shan's dagger finds its mark and the physical embodiment of natural fury shudders.Then Ardent's falcion chops clean through one its limbs and his second stroke backs the monstrosity off. The spirit's arm causes a great tremor as it hits the ground. The surrounding plant life rises up to engulf the limb and seconds later what was once part of the attacking spirit is now a simple mound of earth covered in a riotous explosion of color as beautiful, exotic flowers bloom all over it.

The spirit seems to be having trouble remaining manifest. It pulls weakly at the earth, trying to crawl back towards its forest. Its voice once strong and full of fury is now weak and desperate, both in the air and in your minds, «Shinaide, kudasai»

Written in Komaki's spidery calligraphy the note has but one character on it and it merely says Come.

It is odd for Komaki to call for Kakyoku. Usually if he wants to talk he wanders into the forest and waits for the young girl to find him. And how did he get Senritsu to be his messenger? Very odd indeed.

Capt. Infinity
2016-02-27, 12:26 PM
Ardent watches as the mighty earth spirit lumber backwards and, with quiet solidarity, sheaths his sword. He speaks apologetically, bowing deeply as he does so. "Watashi ga itta koto o kurikaeshimasu. Watashi wa oni gozen, to watashi wa anata o kizutsukeru tame ni mōshiwake arimasen. Anata no ie ni modori, wareware wa anata ga suru koto ga mama ni shinakereba narimasen."

"I will repeat what I have said. I am no demon, and I am sorry for harming you. Return to your home, and we shall leave you be."

The young swordsman turns to those assembled beside him. "Stand down. This is all a horrid misunderstanding. And I am not about to kill a surrendering force."

ThisIsZen
2016-02-28, 11:28 PM
"I've..." As the dragon coiled its way around her raft, she lowered herself to a sitting position and watched as the ripples from the great creature's passing drifted out across the glassy surface of the lake. "Nothing more than what I thought was normal. There's... space, between the worlds of spirits and myself. It's like trying to hear the sounds of home across miles I can't cross." She frowns, and shakes her head. "Apologies. Is there something stirring, my Lord?"

PallentisLunam
2016-02-29, 10:03 PM
The nature spirit drags itself to the nearest tree and with a touch of its bark it dissolves in a glow of light, accompanied by the soft tinkling of wind chimes and the smell of freshly turned earth.

The wagon driver pulls up beside the his fares, his horses still prance nervously, "Are you alright, my lords? What sort of creature was that? This is a bad omen. Very bad indeed."

The dragon nods causing a wave that slowly spins Youju's raft. His tone becomes serious and his eyes hard "Something ancient. Something evil. It gathers like a storm cloud to the south, away beyond the headwaters of this stream. And it casts a great and terrible shadow. Suddenly his mood brightens and he spins, diving under the water to resurface on the other side of the raft "But no shadow can stand against the light, and the darker the shadow the more vulnerable it is to a shining beacon such as you and your friends."

HuskyBoi
2016-03-01, 04:30 AM
"It is fortuitous this matter was resolved quickly- I would not wish to draw the ire of more within the spirit world. Also, we must hasten- we have business to conduct. Lord Ardent, what do you know of the denizens of the spirit world?"

Capt. Infinity
2016-03-01, 09:34 AM
Ardent's brow furrows as the beast retreats, and his gaze remains perturbed even as it disappears back into its home realm. "A bad omen indeed..." He turns to address Lady Shan's statement. "Indeed, we mustn't lose sight of our goal. However, this encounter was... rather strange, in its entirety. I know a good deal about the spirit world, and I know enough offhand to know that this is very unusual behaviour, especially for such a powerful nature spirit as this. The creature accused us of being demons, and of conspiring to corrupt it in our assault. Why in the world such a creature would fear demonic incursion is beyond me. In any case, yes, haste should be made, as I fear the worst in a land where even high spirits fear corruption and death."

As if for the first time, Ardent noticed the blue-haired Elf woman whom he had just ostensibly protected. "Ah! Where are my manners? Ardent Kensho. Pleased to meet you." The swordsman bows towards the Elven woman before him. "Tell me, miss, you wouldn't happen to know why this creature might mistake you for some kind of force from beyond the veil, would you?" He asks, not necessarily suspicious of the girl, but distinctly aware that something was off about the situation.

asdflove
2016-03-01, 12:39 PM
Rain returns her sword to her back, having not actually done anything. "Uhm." She looks around at everyone. "Well, that was a thing. I was gonna try just talking to it, but that worked I guess..." She flashes a grin. "Well anyhow, thanks for the save nonetheless. I'm Raininia Freesong. You can call me Rain."

Her smiles fades at Ardent's question, and she looks away awkwardly. "I have a hunch. Uhm. See, I, uh, grew up among fey, in, well you know..." She trails off, laughing nervously, pulling on one of her small pigtails. "The feywild..."

Capt. Infinity
2016-03-01, 11:40 PM
Ardent's eyebrows shoot up in a mix of surprise and intrigue. "Wait, seriously? You're a youkai? That's... That's so cool!" Those present would notice a sudden shift in the young swordsman's demeanour, with a marked decrease in formality, and a sudden excitement in his voice that... well that was more fitting of the lore-adoring bookworm he truly was. "The Feywild? The land of equal spirit and soma? That's fascinating! That would make you a Star Elf, yes? I've read so much about your kind!" Ardent suddenly pauses in his awe, as he realizes something amiss. "Hang on... That still doesn't explain why the creature thought you were a demon as in a flat-out infernal entity. Moreover, it didn't posit it as a question, it was a foregone conclusion. Was this creature... Expecting a demon?" He turns to Rain, now far more serious. "Rain, I know this may be rather sudden, but something tells me the path ahead is rather treacherous for Lady Shan and I. We've been tasked with surveying the land to the south in hopes of uncovering the details of some... suspicious circumstance. Given our latest encounter, I fear the worst. Would you be ever so kind as to perhaps... join us in this quest? I could see to it that you are paid for your troubles, if you wish." The warrior-sage of house Kensho offers honestly to the Elven woman before him.

INoKnowNames
2016-03-02, 12:53 AM
So befuddled by the mail, Kakyoku turns it over several times, and actually holds it to the Sun, hoping to see more than just what she currently can make out. She did not know why Komaki would message her so suddenly, why the message had been so brief when she had been so panicked, and how he had called Senritsu from the middle of the dense, forest flaked mountain to carry his words... or rather, word. Mostly concerned, and slightly curious, Kakyoku folds the letter as small as possible and hides it in a pocket of her skirt before affectionately petting Senritsu. With that, she swiftly makes her way down the mountains, dashing through the forest; moving and climbing as agile as possible. It is not until she reaches the edge of her familiar home that Kakyoku switches from a fast to a stealthy approach, intent on avoiding anything other than the mysterious old man from whom she sought help with matters relating to the outside world, as she had several times in the past.

I wonder what the chances of her encountering anything, let alone anyone, are before, or after, she ends up meeting Komaki.

asdflove
2016-03-02, 03:42 PM
"Yeeeaaah, I'm a star elf." Rain flashes a grin. "But that's not really important. What is your mission? I mean, I'm totally willing to help. You seem like a good person..." She pauses, blinking several times. "Oh! You're hurt!" She takes a step towards him, her hands taking on a glow. "Let me fix that!" Quickly sweeping her hand over his wounds, she heals him of all injuries then steps back again, smiling. "All better!"

Spending 14 of my Lay on Hands points to heal him.

Capt. Infinity
2016-03-02, 04:19 PM
Ardent's eyes light up in surprise. "Oh my! A healer on top of it all. That's excellent! Thank you very much." He scratches the back of his head and bears an apologetic grin as he ponders her question. "Well, our mission is actually quite broad and vague, speaking frankly. A group of sea raiders causing trouble in local waters, a strange malady rolling its way across the southern countryside, and the mysterious silence from the noble house tasked with overseeing the province in question. It all seems rather strange. And we could use any available help in the days to come. We're about to make our way over the Yahvak mountains. Would you be so kind as to join us?" He asks, lending out a hand to be shaken. Not necessarily a common courtesy amongst nobles, but it was apparently a well-used gesture of solidarity in the Feywilds, and Ardent was nothing if not culturally accepting.

HuskyBoi
2016-03-02, 11:57 PM
Shan is rather baffled by the appearance of this Star Elf, the Feywilds not being an area she is well-acquainted with, even through study. But that is no excuse for a lack of manners, so she offers a formal bow, after discretely retrieving, cleaning, and storing her dagger again.

"Then, Rain, we would be honoured to be accompanied by you. Please accept our most formal greetings, to one of the Feywilds, making her journey of significance to our world of earth and mortals, and... welcome" Shan tails off rather gracelessly, uncertain of how to address the girl opposite her. The lack of titles made her uncomfortable, not to mention the elf's strange appearance, and she was not sure how to proceed.

ThisIsZen
2016-03-03, 11:06 PM
Youju furrowed her brow. "Friends? My lord, I think you may be mistaken... I travel alone."

She stared out at the forest on the lake's edge. If there was a darkness to the south... well, alone or not, she'd have to go.

PallentisLunam
2016-03-05, 07:29 PM
The dragon chuckles and splashes at the water with his whiskers, "Ones as bright as you and your friends are always drawn together. You will meet them soon. But remember, light also attracts predators." The lake begins to glow softly and so does the dragon. "My time grows short, bright one. Your spirit has the strength to face the task before you, but your body must be willing as well. Go east. Follow the river. Find the others. Allow your lights to burn away the darkness." And with that the dragon dives into the lake. Its tail flips high in the air sprinkling Youju with cool, refreshing water as silence falls over the lake.

Kakyoku arrives at the edge of the small village where Komaki lives. It's situated just off of a small trade road in the Wai province.

The sun burns brightly overhead. Free from the shade of the bamboo forest the day is absolutely stifling, hot and humid.

What's odd is that the rice paddies surrounding the community are empty. Even living most of her life in the forest, Kakyoku knows that there should be farmers tending their crops at this hour. The whole scene is perfectly still, not calm and serene but frozen.

A shiver runs down Kakyoku's spine.

asdflove
2016-03-06, 09:46 PM
Rain grabs Ardent's outstretched hand, and shakes it eagerly. "I'd be happy to join you!"

ThisIsZen
2016-03-08, 03:17 PM
Youju lingers a few minutes after the dragon submerges, just taking in the atmosphere of the lake. After a while, she sighs and slips into the water, pushing her raft back towards the shore, and the eastbound river.

PallentisLunam
2016-03-08, 08:13 PM
Several days pass relatively uneventfully as Youju travels upriver to the east while Shan, Ardent, and Rain ride south in their coach. The trio passes through a few small villages and one settlement that could, generously, be called a town. Most of the nation's grander cities and holding are to the north after all. Youju's journey takes her by several tiny fishing villages, many of which she has help over the years. Friendly words are exchanged and offers of food and drink are made.

Eventually, the coach comes to a halt at a large stone bridge that spans a particularly breath taking river. However the reason for the stop is less wondrous. Half a dozen men stand in a line across the road. All wear armor that marks them as imperial soldiers, but they don't seem particularly interested in keeping the peace. These are clearly brigands. Two of them have long kanabos laid across their shoulders, three stand with their katanas ready to be drawn, the sixth and final one, in the center of the road holds up a hand and calls out, "Her Imperial Majesty has imposed a toll upon this bridge. For ones such as yourselves it will cost two hundred gold to pass."

Youju hears this challenge as she carefully poles her raft between a dense cluster of water plants and a submerged rock ledge.

Capt. Infinity
2016-03-10, 09:44 PM
Ardent simply smiles. "Oh my, really? An order from the Imperial House? You mean the house with this insignia?" The young swordsman fishes out a copy of the Imperial order he had been imparted, unfurling it to plainly display the elaborate house insignia stamped at the bottom. "I'm terribly sorry to tell you this, friends. But it seems your luck has run dry." The swordsman of House Kensho steps down from the carriage and stands in front of it, looking across at the brigands before him. "However, I am a fair man. And I am not about to spill blood over this petty grievance. Simply apologize for this attempt at robbery, promise to leave this place and never repeat this, and allow us to pass through unharmed, and we'll be on our merry way." Ardent lifts his hand and shrugs, as if to emphasize how simple the action would be. After the mishap with the spirit, it was simple sense that the swordsman should at least give the men a chance to back down.

If it's needed, Diplomacy roll: [roll0]

PallentisLunam
2016-03-10, 11:50 PM
The leader sneers at Ardent but his men seem visibly uncomfortable. The two men with the kanabos glance nervously at each other and relax their stances. The leader opens his mouth clearly ready to deliver some insult or another when one of his men grabs his arm and speaks quickly in his ear.

Angrily pulling his arm free the man spits at Ardent's feet, "The power of the Empress is broken. Good only for furthering the personal gain of those beneath her, and she has had many men beneath her." His insult clearly shocks every one of his compatriots and they look fearfully to Ardent. Hands reach for weapons but nobody wants to make the first move.

Capt. Infinity
2016-03-11, 12:09 AM
Ardent's face darkens considerably at the insults and, despite the sudden air of tranquil fury around the man, a slight smirk crosses his face. "...This truly is your unlucky day." His hand casually moves towards his sword. "Your second mistake, after trying to stop us in the first place, was assuming this was my attempt at bargaining with levied status. You misunderstand, friend. That wasn't a bargaining plea. That was an offer of mercy." The swordsman scholar takes another step towards the leader of the group of bandits. He glances out at the men assembled behind him. "Your final mistake, however, was when you insulted my best friend." A casual thumbing of the crossguard causes the Falchion to pop loose of its vice. "If, after he hits the ground, you rest wish to leave, feel free to do so. But you?" He stares daggers into the groups leader. "You die."

It is the barest twitch of Ardent's hands that is the only spell trigger needed for the enchanted sword to leap into his left hand. The Swordsman is a whirlwind as he spins on his heel to land a crushing blow upon the man before him, cutting him diagonally up across the chest.

Free Action: Draw sword.
Free Action: Enter Punishing Stance! AC -2, but +1d6 damage per attack.
Full-Round Action: Full Attack on the bandit leader, power attack for 3.
Attack 1: [roll0]
Crit Confirm: [roll1]
Damage: [roll2] + [roll3]

Attack a: [roll4]
Crit Confirm: [roll5]
Damage: [roll6] + [roll7]

asdflove
2016-03-11, 12:53 AM
In a swift move, Rain grabs her lyre, and with the brief strum on the strings to make sure they're in tune, smiles slightly, and begins to play the music seeming magical and otherworldly, and fills Ardent, and all other allies who can hear the song, with strength and courage to fight hard. She softly sings a song in Sylvan as she plays, and mentally activates the magic badge around her neck, to increase the strength of her music.

Okay, using Inspire Courage, and one of the three uses per day of my Badge of Valor to give Ardent (and theoretically all other allies) a +2 morale bonus to his attack and damage rolls. ... Also a +2 against cham and fear affects, but that's less relevant, especially sense my "Hero’s Presence" already gives a +6 morale against fear...

HuskyBoi
2016-03-11, 03:55 AM
Lady Shan remains back, keeping her eyes on the other men on the bridge. It is possible that they might try to attack, but if they keep their distance, there is no need for further bloodshed. Besides, she prefers to avoid mass melee where possible, and Ardent is clearly the more gifted warrior. She reaches for a knife, in case the situation escalates, but does not make to draw it yet.

ThisIsZen
2016-03-11, 10:52 AM
The affairs of bridge bandits rarely bothered Youju. People who encountered her in the wild often left her alone - the mask, cloak and general otherworldly presence she carried with her served to keep many away, an arrangement that suited her just fine. She focused on the task at hand, carefully maneuvering her raft around the submerged hazards, one ear directed to the scuffle forming on the bridge. It wasn't until she'd nearly pushed herself free that Ardent's speech caught her ear, and thoughts of the great dragon's message surfaced in her mind.

As gently as she could, she braced her raft up against the rocks, then bent down and retrieved one of the jugs of water she kept tied to it. Straightening again, she poured it out onto the sandy bank of the river. Rivulets of liquid ran down towards the river again initially, but then began to swirl inward, a whirlpool given living form. Turning again to face the bridge, she waited to see how the scene would play out, a newly-formed elemental spirit at her side.

Move action to retrieve a jug of water. Standard to use Water Devotion, creating a Small water elemental which will last for 1 minute (10 rounds).

PallentisLunam
2016-03-11, 10:55 PM
Ardent surges forward, deadly steel singing through the air. His opponent barely draws his sword in time, frantically deflecting the younger man's blows. The warrior-scholar drives his adversary back, onto the bridge proper, as the bandit's eyes grow wide with fear and adrenaline.

The other men initially fall back stunned by Ardent's ferocity. The ring of steel on steel and the thrill of battle fill the air as Ardent forces his opponent to give ground before his onslaught. Regaining their composure some of the men lay their hands to weapons, apparently intending to intervene.

Capt. Infinity
2016-03-11, 11:49 PM
It is in the frenetic slurry of swings and slashes that Ardent and the bandit finally manage to clash there blades together. The young swordsman, having worn off his initial adrenaline, stares down the man across from his blade. "Well then! I really must respect your capacity for sword play. Lesser men would be dead where they stand. Tell you what. I'm currently trying to unset a trend I've been making for myself, so lets try and end this with as little blood as possible, hm?" Not truly expecting an answer, Ardent takes the momentary break in momentum to swing his arms in a clockwise circle, the motion dragging his opponent's sword along with it. After one full revolution, Ardent attempts to swing his sword upwards, flicking his wrist in such a way that it would send the bandit's blade skyward, to land safely behind the swordscholar, and away from its current wielder.

Standard Action: Super awesome disarming attack go! Consider the "sending it away" portion to be a fluffed-up way of saying he uses a move action to send the sword out of range of the bandit, should the disarm succeed. Disarming Attack (+2 from Courage bonus): [roll0]

Edit: Two handed weapon means a +4 to the roll. Make that a 26.

PallentisLunam
2016-03-12, 12:32 AM
Ardent's trick rips the sword from his foe's grasp. Rather than reach for his wakizashi the bandit leader holds up both hands. Falling to his knees he places his fists on the bridge, shoulder width apart, and bows his head, "Make it clean."

Capt. Infinity
2016-03-12, 12:36 AM
Ardent does not sheath his blade, but makes a point of stabbing it into the bridge, as he looks down at the bandit before him. "First and foremost, I want answers. A Kensho never leaves out the opportunity to learn new facts, so I'd like you to start talking. You bear royal heraldry, though it bears no coat of arms. Why is this? Were you once nobility? If so, how did you come to be here? What tragedy has befallen you that you would be forced to this petty highway thievery? You are clearly a man of some sort of honour, what would make you stoop so low?"

Let's try that Diplomacy again, shall we? Diplomacy: [roll0]

PallentisLunam
2016-03-12, 05:23 PM
Sitting up the man looks Ardent in the eye, "I may have spoken out of turn about the Empress herself, but I was not wrong about her authority. Outside of the central provinces, Imperial edict doesn't mean much in these times. My commander was attempting to consolidate his own power and had plans to usurp his lord. My men and I could not abide that treachery, so we chose the lesser of two evils. We became ronin, but such does not fill the belly and with our honor sullied we could find no master to take us. So...," he gestures to his surroundings.

The other men relax and take their hands away from their weapons. They avert their eyes in shame. A cool breeze whistles over the entire scene.

HuskyBoi
2016-03-12, 07:49 PM
Shan steps forwards to stand next to Ardent,

"Then it is clear what must be done. We must warn the lord of the land of powers that against him, and offer to assist him. But it would be unwise to present such a case without substantial evidence of plans, and for now we have nothing but the word of these dishonoured men. We should seek out their former commander and question him, to ascertain his plans. It is possible that the corruption has spread far, and may connect to our current mission."

Capt. Infinity
2016-03-13, 12:39 AM
"That sounds like a wonderful course of action, Lady Shan." Ardent nods to the noble after she speaks, before turning around towards the bandits fallen blade, picking it up and walking back towards the disgraced ronin. "Your story is a tragic one, and one I can tell leaves you deeply remorseful." He speaks calmly. "Whilst I cannot speak for the reclamation of your honour, what I can offer you is a cause worth fighting for. Your Lord must be warned, and your commander stopped. Whilst I do not believe in vengeance, I believe justice is best served by those affected by the injustice beforehand. And after all this is done, we will need as many hands as we can muster in order to understand fully the corruption of these lands, as is our mission." The swordsman hands out his former kinsman's blade, a symbolic offer as much as a literal one. "Will you aid us in this quest? It may not bring back your honour, but it will give you and your men an honourable purpose once more." He smirks. "Not to mention a chance to give your commander what's coming to him."

PallentisLunam
2016-03-13, 01:11 AM
The kneeling man stares up at Ardent, momentarily stunned by the young man's words. Regaining his composure he shakes his head, "My men and I are ronin. We cannot do the things you say. They are no longer our place."

Capt. Infinity
2016-03-13, 01:45 AM
Ardent smiles. "Your ancestors were not always Samurai. Once, they were but simple men. They toiled in the farmland, they died feeble and unknown, never knowing the grandeur of the world. One day, it took the will of a single man to bring your name to the heights it once stood." The swordsman stares the ronin down. "And it takes only the will of a single man to raise it up once again. Honour is a thing that is earned, friend." He hands the man back his sword. "Let me help you earn it back."

PallentisLunam
2016-03-13, 10:20 AM
The samurai gets to his feet and replaces his sword in its sheath. "My men and I pledge our swords to your light against the gathering darkness." He bows and so do his men. "I recognize your house seal. You are a Kensho, a seeker and sharer of knowledge, so maybe you will have the wisdom to sort this out. We were stationed in Wai Province, a week's forced march to the south, across the Yahvak pass."

Capt. Infinity
2016-03-13, 12:03 PM
Ardent nods "Fate smiles upon us. That was our destination to begin with." He turns to Lady Shan. "Come. Let us continue on our journey. The mountains certainly aren't going to move closer themselves." Looking back over his shoulder, Ardent eyes the ronin and his men. "I don't believe I got your name. After all, I shall need something to call you and your men by, if we are to join forces against the coming dark."

PallentisLunam
2016-03-13, 03:53 PM
"I am Hideyoshi. This is-" the fallen samurai is interrupted by a howling blast of frozen air. The warm summer afternoon becomes icy cold in an instant and the bright sun dims despite there not being a cloud in the sky.

Youju sees stars as an entity of immense power reaches out and brushes against her soul. Something ancient, and evil, passes into the world. Even though it is far away it taints Youju's water elemental. The previously crystal clear water darkens and begins to swell. Youju can feel the friendly, benevolent spirit within twist and warp until it is entirely unrecognizable and wholly corrupt.

HuskyBoi
2016-03-13, 06:44 PM
"What was that? Ardent, do you recognise that? Some ill magic is afoot! We must hasten away from here!" Shan looks concerned, and motions back to the carriage.

Capt. Infinity
2016-03-13, 07:35 PM
"Hang on, look!" Ardent points past the rapidly swelling mass of water, at the masked woman standing nearby. "You there! What is that thing? Is this your doing?" The swordsman, ready for a fight, draws his sword once more. He hesitates as he watches the spirit grow. "This is bad... You there! White haired girl! Follow us across the bridge! We need to get out of here before it fully forms! Come, everyone!" He runs across to the other side of the bridge, motioning for the ronin, Shan, the mysterious girl, and the caravan to follow as he does so.

INoKnowNames
2016-03-14, 09:57 PM
Even with her limited time in the outsider's lands, she knew a bad situation at a glance. One look at the landscape told her that something wrong had just happened... or was happening. Wordlessly, Kakyoku motions Senritsu to take to the skies, hopefully to watch out for her from above. As the avian rises, she notches an arrow and continues surveying the landscape, intent to defend herself if need be. While Senritsu watches from above, Kakyoku continues to move as swift as she can while ready to defend herself, hoping to get to Komaki before any possible threat finds her.

ThisIsZen
2016-03-17, 01:04 PM
There was always a hum, faint or strong, of the world beyond echoing around her, but suddenly Youju's ears were full of breaking glass and tearing metal. Something wrong brushed past her, just close enough to leave a lingering sense of nauseous ill in the pit of her stomach, as it settled into the servant/kin standing by her side. She felt the connection to the elemental snap like a dry reed. Then Ardent was shouting questions at her, and she was at least somewhat grounded back into the real world again. With a start, she pulled away from the corrupted water spirit, up the hill towards the bridge where the others stood.

She had to steel her jaw to get words out - the knot in her stomach was still twisting and roiling. "I called it, intending to assist you if a brawl broke out before you resolved the situation. Something else changed it." She gritted her teeth. "I'm responsible. I will not be known as a summoner of evil spirits."

She spoke a prayer in the language of spirits, words she'd been taught in the common tongue that felt more real when expressed this way, and gestured towards the corrupted elemental. To those around her who were mortal and material, there was a sensation like a gentle wave breaking over, harmless and almost imperceptible. To the elemental, this was a command: Cease to be.

Actions
Move action towards Ardent and co., keeping within 30 ft. of the corrupted elemental
Standard action: Chastise Spirits 1/6 per day [roll0]

PallentisLunam
2016-03-17, 02:58 PM
The rapidly growing elemental slides out into the wide river. At Youju's command large portions of its form slough off and splash into the water below. A white shimmering light can briefly be seen within the elemental's form before the dark water wraps around it once more.

The great vortex takes on a humanoid shape as the crowded onlookers begin to race across the wide stone bridge. The whole structure shudders when the elemental begins to rend the thick stone pylons.

Everybody needs to make Reflex saving throws or fall prone.
Samurai group roll: [roll0]
Carriage driver's Handle Animal: [roll1]

Senritsu circles a distance above Kakyoku keeping a careful watch as the two move through the deserted town. Not even the whisper of a breeze disturbs the stillness of the scene.

At length Kakyoku arrives on the far edge of the town, at Komaki's home. The old man is kneeling in his yard, before the altar of his ancestors, surrounded by a perfect unbroken circle of powdered silver. He appears deep in prayer, his lips moving silently, his hands clasped before him.

PallentisLunam
2016-03-23, 11:49 AM
The horses whinny and rear up but with great skill their driver manages to avoid flipping the carriage. The ronin through a mixture of mutual support and personal dexterity all keep their feet. Two of them put their shoulders to the back of the carriage to help get it moving again. Ardent is thrown against the side of the bridge but is able to grab hold and avoid falling or impaling himself on his own sword. Shan is the picture of calm poise seeming to be above it all even as the world around her is in chaos. Rain, blessed by the grace of her kin, seems to dance across the quaking stones.

However Youju, already trailing the rest of the group falls heavily to the deck of the bridge. The lead ronin turns back an hustles towards her. As he reaches Youju, the water elemental swells again, the bridge still shudders and the furious crash of water can be heard rising from below, but now the being's form looms large over the parapet. Two unholy red glimmers now adorn the monstrosity's head and its massive watery limbs rise high into the air.

The bridge is 20 ft wide and 300 long and runs North to South. It has a 3.5 foot parapet that runs the length of both sides. The bridge's deck is 20 ft above the surface of the river below. Most of the party is in the center of the bridge Youju and Hideyoshi are 30 ft. to the North of the center of the bridge. The highest point of the elemental is 10 ft above the deck and 5 ft. out from the parapet.

Capt. Infinity
2016-03-23, 08:24 PM
As Ardent witnesses the grand elemental rise from the water, he makes quick work to rush over to the fleeing caravan and grab a light crossbow from the back of it. As he load it with an arrow, he shouts into the moving transport. "Raininia! Cast a buff on my shot! We want this thing to hurt." He leans into the crossbow sights, angling his shots. "Reeeaaaally hope this one's actually evil..."

Move Action: Acquire Crossbow
Ready Full-Round Action to fire on the Elemental after Rain applies a buff to it:
Attack 1: [roll0] 9
Crit Confirm: [roll1] 18
Damage: [roll2] 6

Attack 2: [roll3] 13
Crit Confirm: [roll4] 4
Damage: [roll5] 3

Edit: Forgot to account for Magic bonus. Adding now in bold.

asdflove
2016-03-23, 08:32 PM
"Alright Ardent!" Rain chirps, and quickly casts a spell on the crossbow.

Casting Magic Weapon on the Crossbow, giving a +1 to the attack and damage rolls.

PallentisLunam
2016-03-24, 09:07 AM
The quarrel zips straight through a gap that opens up in the elemental and it turns to face Ardent. The splashes of the water sounds suspiciously like laughter.

HuskyBoi
2016-03-25, 08:22 AM
"My Lord Ardent! Be careful! We should retreat away from this spirit, with all haste!" Shan moves quickly towards the carriage, hoping she can persuade her ally. One spirit was danger enough- can they risk facing another? She motions to the dishonoured soldiers.

"You men! Defend your masters, serve your duty!"

PallentisLunam
2016-03-27, 10:14 PM
Youju frantically attempts her dismissal incantation once again as Hideyoshi hauls her to her feet. The two ronin wielding kanabos run towards the elemental banging their weapons on the railings of the bridge in an attempt to draw the spirit's attention. Where before Youju's command had caused the elemental to shudder and lose cohesion this time it seems to serve only to enrage it. Ignoring the charging ronin it sweeps its mighty arm across the bridge, striking Youju and Hideyoshi sending both of them flying towards the carriage.

As they land a thunderous crack fills the air and the entire bridge lists heavily to the side closest to the elemental, one of the pylons must have given way. The two ronin at the back of the carriage shift to the lower side of the bridge to keep it from rolling as the third tries desperately to help keep the horses in check. The ronin running to help drop their weapons and grab onto the sides of the bridge to stay on their feet. At Hideyoshi's orders each takes one of Youju's arms and they hustle back the way they came, carrying her between them.

Narrative mode boys and girls. I have mechanics going in the background but play the story not the numbers :smallwink: should be more fun.

HuskyBoi
2016-03-29, 08:56 PM
"My Lord Argent! And my... ally, Rain, we must get across the bridge before it gives way! Drive the carriage forwards!" Shan climbs aboard, orders the driver forwards, with all haste!