PDA

View Full Version : How to deal wtih Spell Resistance.

Metahuman1
2016-02-20, 11:11 PM
So, need some ideas on the title item.

It's becoming increasingly common, and my Sorcerer doesn't have the means to just jack his caster level up so as to make it trivial. So, I need some other ideas for either boosting my check bonus higher, or making my opponents SR lower. What options other then take spell penetration feat or jack up caster level are there for this?

Morcleon
2016-02-20, 11:13 PM
So, need some ideas on the title item.

It's becoming increasingly common, and my Sorcerer doesn't have the means to just jack his caster level up so as to make it trivial. So, I need some other ideas for either boosting my check bonus higher, or making my opponents SR lower. What options other then take spell penetration feat or jack up caster level are there for this?

There's the 4th level spell Assay Spell Resistance that is cast as a swift action and gives you +10 to CL checks against the spell resistance of a specific creature for one round per level.

Also the Third Eye Penetrate (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/items/universalItems.htm#penetrate) which, due to magic-psionics transparency, works for SR too.

Techwarrior
2016-02-20, 11:23 PM
If you're willing to throw feats at it, Spell Penetration (and Greater) make it significantly easier to bypass SR. The real question is if the SR is within a reasonable level for your level. SR equal to your level +4 or so is rough, but workable. SR beyond that is unrealistic without a lot of investment. Another way to go about this is to just use SR: No spells.

Kelb_Panthera
2016-02-20, 11:36 PM
Go around it. Pick up some spells that don't care about spell resistance. Orb of X for damage, black tentacles is a fan favorite for BFC, TK can go around spell resistance if you're manipulating an object other than the target such as a dozen or so enchanted shuriken or arrows (cheese warning on the shurikens), disintegrate makes an instant pit or can be used to drop a chunk of ceiling.

Like others have said, assay spell resistance and truecasting will let you cut right through the spell resisance of a target like it's not even there.

Bonus points: there's a poison in either CA or BoVD that reduces spell resistance by a few points on a failed fort save or two.

eggynack
2016-02-20, 11:41 PM
Yeah, and the best part is, those spells that bypass spell resistance are often amazing, and not just amazing specifically because they bypass this defense. Black tentacles would still be one of the best BFC spells around if it interacted with SR, except it doesn't interact with SR. Similarly, the orbs would still be among the best blasting spells, polymorph among the best buff spells (though buffs basically never interact with SR anyway, unless your allies have it), and so on and so forth. You're not sacrificing much of anything, and what you're getting in return is a rather potent form of denial of this defense.

Beheld
2016-02-20, 11:51 PM
There's the 4th level spell Assay Spell Resistance that is cast as a swift action and gives you +10 to CL checks against the spell resistance of a specific creature for one round per level.

Also the Third Eye Penetrate (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/items/universalItems.htm#penetrate) which, due to magic-psionics transparency, works for SR too.

It was actually reprinted in the Magic Item Compendium as just directly applying to Spells too, so if your DM disagrees, or hates Psionics, you can still use that.

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-02-20, 11:52 PM
The book Ravenloft: Legacy of the Blood has a type of item called Devices that are basically nonmagical magic items. They use fantasy tech to produce the effects of magical items, but they're tech, rather than magic. Since they are nonmagical, they don't interact with SR. So a device that emulates a wand of fireball produces a ball of fire that is entirely nonmagical and bypasses SR completely. Though the best uses for this are debilitating spell effects, rather than direct damage. Cutting SR out of the equation is one less thing to worry about for a wand, since with some spells, that's the only defense the spell might have.

sleepyphoenixx
2016-02-21, 06:40 AM
Instead of Spell Penetration get Arcane Mastery to always take 10 on CL checks. Then you only need to increase your CL by a little to reliably bypass level-appropriate SR. For anything with truly outstanding SR use SR:no spells or Assay Resistance.
It also helps on dispel checks and various other checks that come up, so it's a lot more useful than Spell Penetration.

Alternatively you can take the Drakken Familiar ACF (DrM) to make your familiar dragonblooded, then reform/retrain/shuffle his feat to Draconic Aura (Power) to get a +1-4 bonus on CL checks to bypass SR, depending on your level. This one has the benefit that it doesn't cost you a feat, and it applies to the whole party. You obviously have to have a familiar though.

Take a look at the Raising Caster Levell (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?444635-Raising-Caster-Level) handbook. There should be something you can afford there.

Metahuman1
2016-02-21, 07:34 AM
I am intrigued by this Arcane Mastery option as a possible option. What book and page number can I find it in/on?

Also, found the assay spell resistance spell in spell compendium after a couple of people mentioned it. Is Truecasting in there as well?

Kelb_Panthera
2016-02-21, 07:39 AM
I am intrigued by this Arcane Mastery option as a possible option. What book and page number can I find it in/on?

Also, found the assay spell resistance spell in spell compendium after a couple of people mentioned it. Is Truecasting in there as well?

I'm 80~ish percent sure that arcane mastery is either in PHB2 or Complete arcane in the feat section.

I'm also almost certain that true casting is in complete mage.

EDIT: on a quick check, I was right. CA for arcane mastery and CM for true casting.

Âmesang
2016-02-21, 07:52 AM
There's a poison in either CA or BoVD that reduces spell resistance by a few points on a failed fort save or two.
I know of devil's eye from BoVD, 1 SR primary, 1d3 SR secondary that affects outsiders otherwise immune; Drow of the Underdark also has underdark blight (1 SR each) and the magic-infused creeping nullscourge (5 SR each).

sleepyphoenixx
2016-02-21, 08:35 AM
I know of devil's eye from BoVD, 1 SR primary, 1d3 SR secondary that affects outsiders otherwise immune; Drow of the Underdark also has underdark blight (1 SR each) and the magic-infused creeping nullscourge (5 SR each).

If you're going that route it's probably cheaper in the mid- to long term to get a Shattermantle weapon (CoS:W, +1 bonus). This works especially well on archers, so a cohort or party member would be ideal.
Some improved familiars can also wield weapons. My suggestion would be a Beguiler (ShSo) - they can speak, wield weapons with their tails and get permanent True Seeing, so they're useful for a lot more than just lowering enemy SR when necessary.