PDA

View Full Version : Is an unplanned entry to the Elemental Plane of Air a suicide?

Jon_Dahl
2016-02-21, 03:05 AM
I've read the plane's description and how subjective gravity works several times and it seems very difficult to survive there.

You get to decide which way is "down", ok, but then you just fall and fall. No one is fast enough to fly after you and catch you, and why would they care anyway? You will most likely starve OR hit something solid for 20d6 and then starve.

How can you float or fly there anyway? I don't get it. It seems that you fall around and die.

ryu
2016-02-21, 03:10 AM
I've read the plane's description and how subjective gravity works several times and it seems very difficult to survive there.

You get to decide which way is "down", ok, but then you just fall and fall. No one is fast enough to fly after you and catch you, and why would they care anyway? You will most likely starve OR hit something solid for 20d6 and then starve.

How can you float or fly there anyway? I don't get it. It seems that you fall around and die.

Change which direction is down as it suits you. keep doing this until you can leave. We also have magic items to prevent starvation if you need it.

Kelb_Panthera
2016-02-21, 03:23 AM
The elemental plane of air is the most forgiving of the inner planes.

It's not outside of possibility that exactly what you've described could happen to someone who knows nothing about the plane suddenly being thrust through a portal or rift.

On the other hand, someone familiar with subjective directional gravity can simply designate down in alternating directions to minimize his speed and control his direction of fall, zig-zagging toward something to land on to minimize damage. It's just like snow-skiing. You don't shoot directly in the direction you're headed unless you want to smash your leg on a tree.

Of course, getting a ring of feather fall or a flight item ASAP is always a good idea, regardless of planar travel prospects.

nedz
2016-02-21, 06:24 AM
All of the natives can fly.

Any of the elemental planes can be tricky though:
Fire: It's hot, very hot. Can you handle that ?
Earth: You're buried alive.
Water: You drown.