View Full Version : Computer Pillars of Eternity: Is the White Marches worth it?

Avilan the Grey
2016-02-21, 11:24 AM
€23 for an expansion seems a little high? What's the consensus on this?

Dragonus45
2016-02-23, 01:58 AM
I absolutely loved it, it adds a fair bit of extra plot and comes with a ton of new items and the like. It is totally worth it for anyone who is a fan of the series.

factotum
2016-02-23, 03:44 AM
I've not played the White Marches myself, but that's mainly because I didn't enjoy the base game enough to want more of it. I don't think it was anywhere near Wasteland 2 or Divinity: Original Sin as far as crowd-funded old school RPGs are concerned.

Avilan the Grey
2016-02-23, 01:05 PM
I think I'll get it soon. Just not sure when. I want to get it before starting a new character.

Btw I hear the Ranger was brough up to snuff in later patches? It is one of my favorite classes usually.

Avilan the Grey
2016-02-26, 12:33 PM
OK I got the expansion.

I now trying to navigate my choices in character creation...

I am thinking Human Ranger (Bear) from the White That Wends. Part of me screams "get an Elf" but I just have never liked elves...

Avilan the Grey
2016-02-28, 09:00 AM
Went wolf instead.
Found a great custom portrait. I am now Skathe, Hunter from The White with her friend and fellow refugee Freiki the wolf.

I am only a few quests out of the tutorial but so far "hard" seems about Baldurs Gate "normal" difficulty.

Sajiri
2016-02-28, 04:28 PM
I keep forgetting about this game even though I enjoyed it. I played it when it launched and had fun but life happened quickly and I stopped not far in. I did buy part 1 of the white marches, not sure exactly what part 2 has but I suppose I'll get it once I have time to play the game again. I think I made a dual stiletto cipher

Avilan the Grey
2016-03-05, 10:48 AM
It appears I did things in a bit backwards order. I went to pick mr Chanter up, and that was a tough fight
(I cleared the courtyard, never actually entered the keep)

...Now I went to take care of business in the Lord's hold and although the game warns me that there is a lot of security, I go through it like butter.

Inarius
2016-03-05, 05:50 PM
It appears I did things in a bit backwards order. I went to pick mr Chanter up, and that was a tough fight
(I cleared the courtyard, never actually entered the keep)

...Now I went to take care of business in the Lord's hold and although the game warns me that there is a lot of security, I go through it like butter.

Yeah fights can be inconsistent. Certain enemy types are just hands down harder or more annoying than others. The worst for me were vampires because the game system just works in their favor causing you to have to go through a convoluted process to get your charmed characters back under control.

Morty
2016-03-06, 10:56 AM
I'm in a similar boat as others, in that I liked Pillars, but not enough to get an expansion. Not sure why, because it's a fine game, even if it would be better if it didn't try so hard to be Baldur's Gate. Maybe I will one day, and then I'll also get the expansion.

Avilan the Grey
2016-03-06, 05:59 PM
I'm in a similar boat as others, in that I liked Pillars, but not enough to get an expansion. Not sure why, because it's a fine game, even if it would be better if it didn't try so hard to be Baldur's Gate.

Does not compute. :smallconfused:

SO, that final fight was actually hard. Still not harder on "Hard" than a similar fight would be on "Normal" in BG or BG2, though.

Avilan the Grey
2016-03-20, 03:34 PM
The difficulty of the maps are all over the place, it seems.
the Stormwall Gorge, for example, is extremely hard (on hard) despite a full lvl 5 party. The lion packs are HARD.

Right now it seems my only other option (I assume the rest of the quests I have from the city are equally hard) is to go down the Endless Path again. It seems easier.

Avilan the Grey
2016-03-25, 11:02 AM
So, spending 875 coppers to respec my Ranger from a wolf to a bear greatly improved survivability. On Hard, only having one tank really wasn't enough.