PDA

View Full Version : Contest Homebrew Chef chat thread: I love you, brew.

sengmeng
2016-02-21, 01:38 PM
Welcome to the Homebrew Chef chat thread!

This is the place for questions, comments, and concerns about the Homebrew Chef Contest (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?479219-Homebrew-Chef-Brew-me-a-Dungeoneer!)!

Welcome, everyone, to Round II of Homebrew Chef!

Contestants: You will need to present a write-up of your build with at least one of the following points: 5th level, 10th level, 15th, 20th, and a "sweet spot" that you feel is the high point of the build, as well as presenting a fully-fleshed out 20-level build in the table below. Feel free to present as many of these as you like, and please give a rundown of the build's abilities and playability at all of the levels you didn't show. The rules are as follows:

32 point-buy is the presumed creation method, but we have generally allowed other levels of point-buy.
If you do use a different point-buy, please make your case for its necessity in your entry. Keep in mind that for using exceptionally large or small point-buys may warrant deductions in elegance and/or power.

Ingredients: The idea of this contest is that you will use existing homebrew to construct a character, whether your own or others. Homebrew should be 90% or more of the entry, but not homebrew specifically made for the contest. That should be as limited as possible, with anything more than a single feat a serious risk to the 'Elegance' portion of your score. As far as official material goes, competitors will be free to use any official 3.5 rulebook in constructing their builds. Dragon magazine is disallowed, and Unearthed Arcana is allowed; but see Elegance below. Web-exclusive 3.0 or 3.5 materials by WotC are expressly allowed, but take care to verify that an updated version did not appear in print elsewhere, as this may cause an Elegance deduction at the judges' discretion. Alternate rule systems from UA such as gestalt or Generic Classes are not allowed, as they create a different playing field. Item Familiars and Taint are also banned from the competition. We don’t want to make this too easy, do we? The secret ingredient is Dragons!

Cooking time: Contestants will have until 17:59 CST (23:59 GMT) Thursday, April 10th to create their builds and PM them to the head judge, sengmeng. Builds will then be posted simultaneously, to avoid copying. Judges will have until 17:59 CST (23:59 GMT) Thursday, April 17th to judge the builds and submit their scores. If no judges have scored by that point, only the scores of the first judge to submit will be counted.

Judging: Judging will be based on the following criteria, with each build rated on a scale from 1 (very poor) to 5 (exemplary) in each area: Originality, Power, Elegance, Concept.

Concept will be how close the contestants stick to the contest’s concept, based on the judge’s discretion.

Power level is up to you. Cheese is acceptable, but should be kept to a sane level unless you're showcasing a new TO build you've discovered. As the Iron Chef competition states, a little cheddar can be nice, but avoid the mature Gruyere unless you're making a cheese fondue.

Elegance: Level adjustment buyoff is allowed, but may be docked off Elegance based on the judge’s preference.

Presentation: Builds will be posted anonymously, in order to avoid the potential of bias towards a particular competitor. For this reason, please don't put your name in the build, as I'm likely to miss it when reviewing the entries!

Due to concerns about standardizing entry format, I'd like everyone to try to use the following table for their entry.

Level
Class
Base Attack Bonus
Fort Save
Ref Save
Will Save
Skills
Feats
Class Features

1st
New Class Level
+x
+x
+x
+x
Skills
Feats
New Class Abilities

2nd
New Class Level
+x
+x
+x
+x
Skills
Feats
New Class Abilities

3rd
New Class Level
+x
+x
+x
+x
Skills
Feats
New Class Abilities

4th
New Class Level
+x
+x
+x
+x
Skills
Feats
New Class Abilities

5th
New Class Level
+x
+x
+x
+x
Skills
Feats
New Class Abilities

6th
New Class Level
+x
+x
+x
+x
Skills
Feats
New Class Abilities

7th
New Class Level
+x
+x
+x
+x
Skills
Feats
New Class Abilities

8th
New Class Level
+x
+x
+x
+x
Skills
Feats
New Class Abilities

9th
New Class Level
+x
+x
+x
+x
Skills
Feats
New Class Abilities

10th
New Class Level
+x
+x
+x
+x
Skills
Feats
New Class Abilities

11th
New Class Level
+x
+x
+x
+x
Skills
Feats
New Class Abilities

12th
New Class Level
+x
+x
+x
+x
Skills
Feats
New Class Abilities

13th
New Class Level
+x
+x
+x
+x
Skills
Feats
New Class Abilities

14th
New Class Level
+x
+x
+x
+x
Skills
Feats
New Class Abilities

15th
New Class Level
+x
+x
+x
+x
Skills
Feats
New Class Abilities

16th
New Class Level
+x
+x
+x
+x
Skills
Feats
New Class Abilities

17th
New Class Level
+x
+x
+x
+x
Skills
Feats
New Class Abilities

18th
New Class Level
+x
+x
+x
+x
Skills
Feats
New Class Abilities

19th
New Class Level
+x
+x
+x
+x
Skills
Feats
New Class Abilities

20th
New Class Level
+x
+x
+x
+x
Skills
Feats
New Class Abilities

Code immediately below (spoiler).

Level
Class
Base Attack Bonus
Fort Save
Ref Save
Will Save
Skills
Feats
Class Features

1st
New Class Level
+x
+x
+x
+x
Skills
Feats
New Class Abilities

2nd
New Class Level
+x
+x
+x
+x
Skills
Feats
New Class Abilities

3rd
New Class Level
+x
+x
+x
+x
Skills
Feats
New Class Abilities

4th
New Class Level
+x
+x
+x
+x
Skills
Feats
New Class Abilities

5th
New Class Level
+x
+x
+x
+x
Skills
Feats
New Class Abilities

6th
New Class Level
+x
+x
+x
+x
Skills
Feats
New Class Abilities

7th
New Class Level
+x
+x
+x
+x
Skills
Feats
New Class Abilities

8th
New Class Level
+x
+x
+x
+x
Skills
Feats
New Class Abilities

9th
New Class Level
+x
+x
+x
+x
Skills
Feats
New Class Abilities

10th
New Class Level
+x
+x
+x
+x
Skills
Feats
New Class Abilities

11th
New Class Level
+x
+x
+x
+x
Skills
Feats
New Class Abilities

12th
New Class Level
+x
+x
+x
+x
Skills
Feats
New Class Abilities

13th
New Class Level
+x
+x
+x
+x
Skills
Feats
New Class Abilities

14th
New Class Level
+x
+x
+x
+x
Skills
Feats
New Class Abilities

15th
New Class Level
+x
+x
+x
+x
Skills
Feats
New Class Abilities

16th
New Class Level
+x
+x
+x
+x
Skills
Feats
New Class Abilities

17th
New Class Level
+x
+x
+x
+x
Skills
Feats
New Class Abilities

18th
New Class Level
+x
+x
+x
+x
Skills
Feats
New Class Abilities

19th
New Class Level
+x
+x
+x
+x
Skills
Feats
New Class Abilities

20th
New Class Level
+x
+x
+x
+x
Skills
Feats
New Class Abilities

Speculation: Please don’t post or speculate on possible builds until the “reveal," in order to avoid spoiling the surprise if a particular competitor is producing a build along those lines.

So! Who wants to sign up as a contestant, and who wants to sign up as a judge? Looking for as many contestants and judges as feel like playing!

Concept for the 2nd Contest is:
Dragons
It should be conceptually linked to dragons in some way.

Leadership is banned for sanity reasons.
To Clarify:
No Leadership, Draconic Cohort, or Feats that grant a similar ability are allowed. Any PrC you choose with Leadership or a Leadership-analog (Such as Thrallherd) has that ability entirely ignored for this contest, as it may neither be used nor traded away via any means whatsoever.

We will award 1st through 3rd places, as well as a shout-out for honorable mention. The honorable mention prize is given to the most daring or unexpected build. Judges, contestants and guests alike are invited to vote for honorable mention via PM. If there are no votes, Honorable Mention will go to the head judge’s favorite build.

Begin your brewing.

For this first contest, we'll be going by ECL, not CR. So look for ECL 5, 10, 15, 20 as your building points.

Please cite your sources in some way. Judges may want to check the homebrew portions' dates or whether they were correctly interpreted and implemented.

The chat thread is coming. here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?479229-Homebrew-Chef-chat-thread-I-love-you-brew).

Grand Arbiter
2016-02-22, 07:04 AM
This looks interesting...

Are there any classes/feats/etc. not mentioned in the contest post that are prohibited?

Jormengand
2016-02-22, 08:48 AM
This looks interesting...

Are there any classes/feats/etc. not mentioned in the contest post that are prohibited?

I know that if I were judging, I would harshly penalise the originality of classes from the base class challenge with the same theme (that is, the dungeon round). You might want to avoid them, even though they're not technically banned.

sengmeng
2016-02-22, 09:10 AM
I know that if I were judging, I would harshly penalise the originality of classes from the base class challenge with the same theme (that is, the dungeon round). You might want to avoid them, even though they're not technically banned.

I have decided not to rule against that, but it should be noted that the Originality score would probably suffer if the entry was a single-class human with one of those classes. That's not showcasing the brewer's optimization skills at all. Are those classes a simple way to achieve the theme? Yes, but as Elegance is one of the criteria, simplicity should not be avoided like the plague, but merely awkwardly danced around with like at junior prom. Also, this being the first iteration of the contest, the rules are still in flux. In the spirit of experimentation, this round will probably be the most lax, and a learning experience for both judges and contestants.

I also will not outright ban the use of one's own homebrew, but it's in the same vein as cheese: keep it light, or go whole hog.

Jormengand
2016-02-22, 09:25 AM
I also will not outright ban the use of one's own homebrew, but it's in the same vein as cheese: keep it light, or go whole hog.

I would think that this would only serve to disadvantage the makers of good homebrew on the basis that by doing to, they give others - but not themselves - an advantage. Then again, since the judges won't be able to tell whether people are using their own brew or not, the ruling is also totally unenforceable.

sengmeng
2016-02-22, 09:49 AM
I would think that this would only serve to disadvantage the makers of good homebrew on the basis that by doing to, they give others - but not themselves - an advantage. Then again, since the judges won't be able to tell whether people are using their own brew or not, the ruling is also totally unenforceable.

As I said, it's not an outright ban, so if you want to use 90% your own material or just the 10% that you really feel is your absolute best, go ahead. As for enforceability, I don't intend to strike down ANY entry, but I do plan to do a little research on where stuff comes from, and scores may suffer accordingly. The research's primary goal would be to check the dates on the homebrew, however.

I apologize if I seem vague in my criteria, but I really don't want to set any rules in stone just yet, and I certainly don't want to stymie anyone's creativity. It's all subjective anyway, and my opinion will matter less and less the more judges I can find to spread the blame load.

Jormengand
2016-02-22, 10:46 AM
As I said, it's not an outright ban, so if you want to use 90% your own material or just the 10% that you really feel is your absolute best, go ahead. As for enforceability, I don't intend to strike down ANY entry, but I do plan to do a little research on where stuff comes from, and scores may suffer accordingly. The research's primary goal would be to check the dates on the homebrew, however.

I apologize if I seem vague in my criteria, but I really don't want to set any rules in stone just yet, and I certainly don't want to stymie anyone's creativity. It's all subjective anyway, and my opinion will matter less and less the more judges I can find to spread the blame load.

Well, see, in most of these competitions the chair doesn't judge at all, which is precisely so that none of the judges know who made the build.

sengmeng
2016-02-22, 10:57 AM
A fine idea, once I'm not the only one.

On that note... who would like to be a judge?

Beelzebub1111
2016-02-22, 12:33 PM
If I were to post an updated brew of something from a previous contest that I never got around to errataing. Could I, or someone else, use that brew.

Basically I want to finish/fix my spellshaper and use it for this contest,

sengmeng
2016-02-22, 01:04 PM
If I were to post an updated brew of something from a previous contest that I never got around to errataing. Could I, or someone else, use that brew.

Basically I want to finish/fix my spellshaper and use it for this contest,

That's a tough call. To do it justice, I'd need to know how the spell-shaper looked before and after the errata. Can you preserve the original for me to view at some point? It would really only hurt your elegance score if it appears to have been changed to fit the theme, not just to improve/balance/finish it.

Beelzebub1111
2016-02-22, 01:28 PM
Not a problem. It's still unchanged in the contest thread...it was the "other tabletop games" theme and I won't be changing that On top of that, I don't think I'll be using anything that I am changing.

It's just one of those things I never got around to since I moved

sengmeng
2016-02-22, 01:45 PM
Not a problem. It's still unchanged in the contest thread...it was the "other tabletop games" theme and I won't be changing that On top of that, I don't think I'll be using anything that I am changing.

It's just one of those things I never got around to since I moved

Ahh, carry on then. Keep calm at your option.

Grand Arbiter
2016-02-22, 02:25 PM
Thank you for the swift response.

Hopefully I can find the free time to compose an entry; this seems like it would be an enjoyable experience.

Beelzebub1111
2016-02-23, 04:48 PM
This is really my first Chef competition and a little unsure about presentation and formatting. specifically for the 5th, 10th, 15th, 20th and "sweet-spot" writeups. Should I include backstory elements?

sengmeng
2016-02-23, 05:24 PM
This is really my first Chef competition and a little unsure about presentation and formatting. specifically for the 5th, 10th, 15th, 20th and "sweet-spot" writeups. Should I include backstory elements?

Yes, yes, a million times yes. We are building characters in this competition, and fluff is huge. You don't have to explain every feat or spell choice, but background and motivation are the salt and pepper that season the dish. Backstory and fluff will influence, at least in part, every criteria other than power.

Happy brewing!

Jormengand
2016-02-23, 05:29 PM
Judges will have until 17:59 CST (23:59 GMT) Monday, February 23rd to judge the builds and submit their scores.

Hey! Why haven't we got our judging yet! You have, like one and a half hours to do it!

:smalltongue:

(Also, it's not Monday, but that's an aside.)

Beelzebub1111
2016-02-23, 05:34 PM
Because the submissions aren't due until march. Which is weird.

Jormengand
2016-02-23, 05:39 PM
Because the submissions aren't due until march. Which is weird.

I know; the point is that the judging deadline is a copy-paste error.

Zaydos
2016-02-23, 07:28 PM
What is involved in judging?

Temotei
2016-02-23, 07:44 PM
What is involved in judging?

If it's supposed to be like Iron Chef (in the 3.5 section), you'll assess each category and give scores to each, followed by a total score. Generally judges look at specific things that boost or take away from a category and point that out with a little (-0.5) next to it or whatever.

That said, even in Iron Chef, judging has no particular rules aside from "don't be a jerk" and "don't assume RAW when it's unreasonable," if I remember correctly.

Beelzebub1111
2016-02-24, 08:28 AM
Now I'm debating on if I should make the dungeon associated with the character. I'll put it down as "If I have time"

sengmeng
2016-02-24, 09:09 AM
If it's supposed to be like Iron Chef (in the 3.5 section), you'll assess each category and give scores to each, followed by a total score. Generally judges look at specific things that boost or take away from a category and point that out with a little (-0.5) next to it or whatever.

That said, even in Iron Chef, judging has no particular rules aside from "don't be a jerk" and "don't assume RAW when it's unreasonable," if I remember correctly.

Yes, this. I would caveat it to say that it is just as personal, as far as how you assign scores, as voting in the Base Class Challenge, but judges will NOT be participants, and it's a bit more of a commitment.

This also reminds me that this first contest will be 3.x only, and I should put that in the contest thread.

Beelzebub1111
2016-02-24, 11:01 AM
Would equipment be standard for wealth-by-level as described by the DMG?

sengmeng
2016-02-24, 11:16 AM
Would equipment be standard for wealth-by-level as described by the DMG?

Equipment is a grey area; usually a build doesn't need it statted out unless the equipment makes a huge difference in how it plays (the judge doesn't need to know you have a +5 greatsword, but if your combat style relies on a portable hole, mention it). However, if you are using homebrewed equipment, make sure it is mentioned, and if you break WBL, give it a fluff justification.

Beelzebub1111
2016-02-26, 10:18 AM
Oh, the terrible tedium of tables.

I'm almost done, and while I don't think I'll be getting points for power, Story might make up for it.

Zaydos
2016-03-03, 02:31 PM
So how many judges have you got?

sengmeng
2016-03-03, 06:37 PM
So far? Me.

Zaydos
2016-03-03, 06:49 PM
I'll bite the bullet and volunteer then.

Temotei
2016-03-03, 07:39 PM
I should be able to judge. I've got spring break right after the entries come in.

sengmeng
2016-03-04, 02:33 PM
I should be able to judge. I've got spring break right after the entries come in.

I'll bite the bullet and volunteer then.

Thanks you two! I didn't want to ask in case either of you wanted to enter.

Two is better than one, especially if the one isn't doing it anonymously.

Beelzebub1111
2016-03-05, 11:15 AM
Under the Skills section of the chart, should I put down the skill points spent at that level, the skill totals for that level, or just or just the relevant skills?

sengmeng
2016-03-05, 02:17 PM
Under the Skills section of the chart, should I put down the skill points spent at that level, the skill totals for that level, or just or just the relevant skills?

Totals would be best for readability.

Temotei
2016-03-05, 06:12 PM

If you put skill ranks at each level, also put totals in parentheses or something like that.

Jormengand
2016-03-05, 06:56 PM
It's these stylistic differences that make it obvious to the trained eye who made a particular build, which is why I prefer to mix it up a little.

Beelzebub1111
2016-03-10, 07:15 AM
One last question before I submit. How should I handle the Level Write-ups for the one of 5, 10, 15, 20 and a pivotal point in development? Like a statblock? Is there a template I should use?

Temotei
2016-03-10, 07:35 AM
One last question before I submit. How should I handle the Level Write-ups for the one of 5, 10, 15, 20 and a pivotal point in development? Like a statblock? Is there a template I should use?

In the Iron Chef competition, the write-ups are brief summaries of the capabilities of the character at each of those levels, usually with a tie-in to background.

Examples: This (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=19553550&postcount=248) is one of the shortest write-ups I've seen, but it gets the job done (though a space between each paragraph would be nice). The entry was the winner in the Order of the Bow Initiate round in Iron Chef LXX.

This (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=20312734&postcount=122) and this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=20312755&postcount=125) both have level write-ups in spoilers. The entries tied for first place in the Thief of Life round in Iron Chef LXXV.

Three examples should be enough, yeah?

Beelzebub1111
2016-03-10, 08:38 AM
That is signifigantly simpler than what I thought I was going to have to do. Thanks. I'll be finished soon.

Beelzebub1111
2016-03-11, 06:00 PM
I realize now that my may have been a few hours late due to Time Zones. Unless I'm doing the math in the wrong direction.

sengmeng
2016-03-12, 02:18 AM
That is entirely fine. I've been sick with a nasty case of the flu, and so nothing's been done anyway

Beelzebub1111
2016-03-13, 09:25 AM
Thank goodness.

Well I hope you feel better soon. I know how much the flu sucks, and good luck to all the other entrants.

sengmeng
2016-03-15, 04:22 PM
Entries have been sent to the judges. Now taking ideas for round II JK, it's going to be DRAGONS!

Jormengand
2016-03-15, 04:35 PM
It's traditional to do an anonymous reveal of the entries.

Temotei
2016-03-15, 04:45 PM
It's traditional to do an anonymous reveal of the entries.

Indeed, though I don't mind the PM copies.

Beelzebub1111
2016-03-16, 08:24 AM
I admit I am curious about the competiton.

As for dragons, There was an idea I was toying around with that will probably fit.

sengmeng
2016-03-16, 02:38 PM
In no particular order... our entries!

Lurk
"Well hello there! Welcome to my cave, hero-things... you want me to join you on your quest, hmm? Well then, Lurk can do that, if you can catch him. Have fun, hero-things!"

Lurk was not interested in saving the world. After all, the stone rats want to watch the world decay and crumble. But Lurk isn't interested in that either. Sure, he's spent a long time practicing his stone rat style, but he really wants to make the greatest story ever told. No, not quite... he wants to be the greatest story ever told. But one day, one day, he'll find his way back to his roots.

Human Stone Rat Priest of Decadence (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?479010-The-Stone-Rat-Priest-of-Decadence-Fun-with-the-class-mashup-generator-PEACH)Jor 13/Tall Tale (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?326799-Tall-Tale-%283-5-Base-Class-Contest-Winner-PEACH%29)Zay 7

Ability scores are 16/16/14/10/10/10. Neat. We're gonna put all of our level up points in STR.

Level
Class
Base Attack Bonus
Fort Save
Ref Save
Will Save
Skills
Feats
Class Features

1st
Stone Rat Priest of Decadence 1
+0
+2
+2
+0
Climb 4 Hide 4 Jump 4 Knowledge (Dungeoneering) 4 Move Silently 4 Survival 4
Two-Weapon Harmony (https://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/The_Netbook_of_Feats_Version_12.4_of_the_Netbook_o f_Feats#Two-weapon_Harmony)NoF, Combat School (Stone Rat Style) (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Combat_School_%283.5e_Feat%29)RoW
Stone Rat Style, Dagger Damage Bonus 1d6

2nd
Stone Rat Priest of Decadence 2
+1
+3
+3
+0
Climb 5 Hide 5 Jump 5 Knowledge (Dungeoneering) 5 Move Silently 5 Survival 5
-
Decadent Strike 1d3

3rd
Stone Rat Priest of Decadence 3
+2
+3
+3
+1
Climb 6 Hide 6 Jump 6 Knowledge (Dungeoneering) 6 Move Silently 6 Survival 6
Combat Reflexes (https://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/The_Netbook_of_Feats_Version_12.4_of_the_Netbook_o f_Feats#Combat_Reflexes)NoF
Stone Rat Trick +5

4th
Stone Rat Priest of Decadence 4
+3
+4
+4
+1
Climb 7 Hide 7 Jump 7 Knowledge (Dungeoneering) 7 Move Silently 7 Survival 7
-
True Stone Rat Style, Dagger Damage Bonus 2d6

5th
Stone Rat Priest of Decadence 5
+3
+4
+4
+1
Climb 8 Hide 8 Jump 8 Knowledge (Dungeoneering) 8 Move Silently 8 Survival 8
-
Stone Rat Climb

6th
Stone Rat Priest of Decadence 6
+4
+5
+5
+2
Climb 9 Hide 9 Jump 9 Knowledge (Dungeoneering) 9 Move Silently 9 Survival 9
Harrying Pursuit (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?475377-Some-Immediate-Action-Options-for-Tier-4-5-classes)Zay
Decadent Strike 2d3

7th
Stone Rat Priest of Decadence 7
+5
+5
+5
+2
Climb 10 Hide 10 Jump 10 Knowledge (Dungeoneering) 10 Move Silently 10 Survival 10
-
Stone Rat Trick +10, Dagger Damage Bonus 3d6

8th
Stone Rat Priest of Decadence 8
+6
+6
+6
+2
Climb 11 Hide 11 Jump 11 Knowledge (Dungeoneering) 11 Move Silently 11 Survival 11
-
Improved Stone Rat Style

9th
Stone Rat Priest of Decadence 9
+6
+6
+6
+3
Climb 12 Hide 12 Jump 12 Knowledge (Dungeoneering) 12 Move Silently 12 Survival 12
Subtle Cut (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Subtle_Cut_%283.5e_Feat%29)RoW
Bladefall

10th
Stone Rat Priest of Decadence 9/Tall Tale 1
+6
+6
+8
+3
Climb 13 Hide 13 Jump 13 Knowledge (Dungeoneering) 13 Move Silently 13 Survival 13
Improved GrappleB
Exaggerated Climb Least, Trapfinding

11th
Stone Rat Priest of Decadence 9/Tall Tale 2
+7
+6
+9
+3
Climb 14 Hide 14 Jump 14 Knowledge (Dungeoneering) 14 Move Silently 14 Spot 2 Survival 14
-
Exaggerated Jump Least, Skin of your Teeth

12th
Stone Rat Priest of Decadence 9/Tall Tale 3
+8
+7
+9
+4
Climb 15 Hide 15 Jump 15 Knowledge (Dungeoneering) 15 Move Silently 15 Spot 6 Survival 15
Troacctid's Swiftness (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=19155186&postcount=154)Tcc, Skill Focus ClimbB, TrackB
Exaggerated Survival Least, Blessing of Kindness

13th
Stone Rat Priest of Decadence 9/Tall Tale 4
+9
+7
+10
+4
Climb 16 Hide 16 Jump 16 Knowledge (Dungeoneering) 16 Move Silently 16 Spot 12 Survival 16
-
Exaggerated Knowledge (Dungeoneering) Least (Abberation), Uncanny Dodge

14th
Stone Rat Priest of Decadence 9/Tall Tale 5
+9
+7
+10
+4
Climb 17 Hide 17 Jump 17 Knowledge (Dungeoneering) 17 Listen 15 Move Silently 17 Spot 17 Survival 17
-
Exaggerated Hide/Move Silently Least, Evasion

15th
Stone Rat Priest of Decadence 9/Tall Tale 6
+10
+8
+11
+5
Climb 18 Hide 18 Jump 18 Knowledge (Dungeoneering) 18 Listen 16 Move Silently 18 Spot 18 Survival 18
Power Climber (https://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/The_Netbook_of_Feats_Version_12.4_of_the_Netbook_o f_Feats#Power_Climber)NoF, Skill Focus HideB
Exaggerated Climb Lesser

16th
Stone Rat Priest of Decadence 9/Tall Tale 7
+11
+8
+11
+5
Climb 19 Hide 19 Jump 19 Knowledge (Dungeoneering) 19 Listen 17 Move Silently 19 Spot 19 Survival 19
-
Exaggerated Hide/Move Silently Lesser

17th
Stone Rat Priest of Decadence 10/Tall Tale 7
+12
+9
+12
+5
Climb 20 Hide 20 Jump 20 Knowledge (Dungeoneering) 20 Listen 17 Move Silently 20 Spot 19 Survival 20
-
Decadent Strike 3d3, Dagger Damage Bonus 4d6

18th
Stone Rat Priest of Decadence 11/Tall Tale 7
+13
+9
+12
+5
Climb 21 Hide 21 Jump 21 Knowledge (Dungeoneering) 21 Listen 17 Move Silently 21 Spot 19 Survival 21
Rebirth of Flames Devotion (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?476110-3-5-PF-GitP-Regulars-as-Domains-And-Domain-Feats/page11)Ilv
Stone Rat Trick +15

19th
Stone Rat Priest of Decadence 12/Tall Tale 7
+14
+10
+13
+6
Climb 22 Hide 22 Jump 22 Knowledge (Dungeoneering) 22 Listen 17 Move Silently 22 Spot 19 Survival 22
-
Flawless Stone Rat Style

20th
Stone Rat Priest of Decadence 13/Tall Tale 7
+14
+10
+13
+6
Climb 23 Hide 23 Jump 23 Knowledge (Dungeoneering) 23 Listen 17 Move Silently 23 Spot 19 Survival 23
-
Climb Anything, Dagger Damage Bonus +5d6

What? Why can't my sweet spot be level 3? :smalltongue:

Okay, this is just where I wanted to highlight something fun: you threaten as though you were wielding a reach weapon, and you can also move up to a creature you hit (I have no idea whether "Pull yourself adjacent to any creature or object he strikes" allows you to go around the back of a medium creature - reasonable - whether it allows you to go around the back of a wall section - unreasonable - and whether or not it provokes attacks of opportunity). Further, you have combat reflexes (only this version is actually slightly better as it allows you to keep your old AoO on top of having extra ones for high DEX) and he also gets two more awesome cool feats (to the point where I actually made him a human because I couldn't decide which to go for): one allows him to attack with two weapons as a standard action or attack of opportunity, and one allows him to offset the TWF penalty and deal more damage. It only works with the weapons of stone rat style which are, uhm, daggers. Also, you can deal damage reduction damage and this is awesome. The hardness damage thing allows you and a few friends to break your way through a stone wall in a minute or two (Three feet of hewn stone would survive 180 attacks from you, but thanks to your ability to break its hardness, you can take it out in 50).

Yeah, so this is generally a ridiculously fun level and I love everything about it.

Anyway, at this level, you're basically just a sit-there-and-threaten type of guy, although your ability to tear down walls is quite funny. Also, you have the skills to sneak around places, so you're not a godawful assassin either. Not to mention that your standard action attack can drop most second-level NPCs.

Lurk likes caves and stabbing people. He just likes to play tricks, hide and run around, and generally watch people run around in confusion. He's pretty straight-up chaotic, maybe evil too. But hey, we can rebuild him. We have the morality.You can climb with your feet. FROM A DISTANCE. This is an outrageously fun class. Oh, and we're now wielding four daggers I guess? Because that's a thing. And they deal 2d6 bonus damage, rather than 1d6. To put that into context, remember that wall? You can take it down, personally, in one minute. So yeah, I sense the two signature abilities of this class coming online in succession, which is nice.

By this point, Lurk has basically mastered the fullness of stone rat style, and its roots as a climbing technique as well as a combat one. So there's that. He also joins the other PCs in their random hijinks, and likes going with them on their crazy adventures. Lurk begins to understand that maybe there's more to life than just climbing and stabbing people, but that doesn't really manifest itself......Until now.

Now, you take your first tall tale level, and become not just to make stories, but to be the story. Also, you now have a chance to daze people with all of your attacks. That's not relevant to stories, but I decided to mention it anyway. And since you have, uh, eight attacks, um, yeah... also, subtle cut is just cruel. You can make an attack that deals 1d4+3d6+6 damage, with a mundane dagger, and then you reduce someone's speed by the same amount? Yeah, that's mean. Average of 19 damage, so do that twice and you've reduced someone to full-action five-foot moves. Saves? What do you mean saves? You get your AC save, duh! Yes, this ability is silly. Yes, Combat School's daze effect also triggers. Yes, that one at least allows a save (not an easy one, though: DC 18 is pretty tough at this level.).

Anyway, yeah, by this point you're the god of climbing. Not only can you hang from your feet on a ceiling anything from 15 to 30 feet high (ie most cielings) and attack people from outside even reach weapon range, but you can also just land on them and full attack them because reasons, and then jump up and attach yourself to the cieling again in the same round, again because reasons.

Oh, and you also have trapfinding and improved grapple. Like you were gonna use those. I mean, IG is useful to get out of a grapple if you're in one, only because you can attack with light weapons in a grapple and stone rat trick is weird, you can put yourself 5 feet away and therefore out of grapple range.

Oh, I should mention harrying pursuit too. Basically, it's to stop people escaping with the withdraw action. I don't know if Zaydos understands how immediate action movement works (I suspect he does, but the way the feat is written is bizarre), but the kicker is that because the immediate action is in response to the enemy moving, you can move the moment they leave one of your threatened squares, meaning that you can move your threatened area back on top of them, and also move to block their run or charge path (or to avoid being charged) so if someone on the very edge of your threatened area tries withdrawing, running or charging, you're seven steps ahead of them. It does slow you down on your next turn, though, but that's fine. All the more reason for you to full attack!

Now, of course, at this point, Lurk is setting off to create his own epic tale! Of, uhm, epicness and taleness! And it's gonna involve climbing and stabbing things! Old habits die hard, okay?I'm calling it now: the netbook of feats, the stone rat priest of decadence and the tall tale were not made to be used together. Why do I say that? Because this is the level where I can climb with one foot at my base land speed. From a 15 foot range. Yup. I think I officially win climbing forever. Oh, and also I can attack with the other three limbs, and full attack as a standard action (Thanks, Troacctid, your contribution is appreciated.)

Also, I kinda wanna dark chaos shuffle all of my random bonus feats into something more useful, but whatever. SF climb you guys. Also, I think I get SF move silently as a bonus with my SF hide as well, but I'm not sure? The skill points are already doing weird things at this point...

Also, I am oddly good at grappling. Huh. This is fine, because I can do all kinds of crazy things with the daggers that I'm allowed to use in a grapple, so totally not complaining.

Now, Lurk has almost finished his epic tale. He's collected the legendary macguffin, saved the princess, slain the dragon - probably by landing on the damnable thing and making two full attacks for 16 daze attempts and 304 damage average ignoring criticals (and also ignoring, of course, that he might miss. Which seems unlikely, actually, given the random attack bonuses he gets and the fact that he can hide from nearly everything. Like, next level he's practically immune to divinations too. Anyway, by that point, he's only got one thing left to do. One thing that he never managed to do......to master his chosen art. To climb the highest mountain and the fastest waterfall, not to mention the deepest dungeon. To climb... anything.

Which is why it's cool that his de facto capstone is called that. I mean, Ultimate Stone Rat Style would have been cool too, but c'mon, Climb Anything? CLIMB ANYTHING? And one of the examples is a WATERFALL? Lurk wants that. Lurk wants that so bad. It would make the greatest story ever, right? And after all, stone rat style is really about climbing, not fighting, right? Not that this stops him upping his dagger damage to 5d6, making attacks as though all his weapons were wounding (oh, and he can take 10 on attack rolls too...), and apparently climbing creatures. Yep. That's something else Climb Anything does. No, it doesn't harm the creature. Yes, you're sticking daggers in it. Why do you ask?

Also Rebirth of Flames Devotion is a hilarious feat. Oh, you killed me? Take a CL=HD uncapped fireball to the face, suckah! And no, you didn't kill me. Sucks to be you.

So this is where the adventure ends: at the lowest depths of the lowest dungeon, where no mortal dares to climb. But then, Lurk is no longer truly mortal...Credit to JormengandJor, ZaydosZay, The Netbook of FeatsNoF, Frank and K's Races of WarRoW, TroacctidTcc, and IllvenIlv for supplying class, other class and a feat, three feats, two more feats, another feat and another feat. Listed in order of appearance. B Indicates a bonus feat. You knew that.

Daak, The Overlord of Kher Keep

Classes Used Inventor (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?441142-Base-Class-Contest-XXX-A-Study-in-Beige), Spellshaper (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?390385-Base-Class-Contest-XXVI-Flipping-the-Table), and Dragonsoul Acolyte (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?367155-Base-Class-Contest-XXIV-Will-Breed-for-Class)

Prossh the Skyraider. Prossh, The Scourge of Kher Ridges. With wings and mane of blazing fire, the young red dragon flew over the mountain range in search of a lair. A humble cave caught his brilliant firey eyes and when he flew down to investigate he found it was already inhabited by little rust-scaled lizard creatures. Kobolds were known to inhabit the Kher Ridges, but this tribe seemed to be thriving and had a nice keep set up already. Prossh introduced himself to the leader of the Kobolds, Rohgahh, and offered him a deal. Use of the Keep and tribute in exchange for protection. Rohgahh refused, not wanting to pay fealty to anyone else.

After Rohgahh's untimely death, Prossh and the kobolds came to an alliance. When Prossh would attack the outskirts of a town and, while the guard responded to the dragon, the kobolds would sneak into the now defenseless town and take any valuables they could carry. In return, Prossh protected the kobolds from the natural predators of the mountains. This was a very good arrangement for Prossh, since it made building his hoard lower risk for a higher reward.

As the reputation of The Scourge of Kher Ridges grew, it was natural that adventurers would be hired to slay him. Luckily for the great dragon, kobolds are crafty little trapmakers and ambushers, but none were so crafty as a young Kobold named Daak. Daak wasn't the most naturally gifted kobold. He wasn't strong, he wasn't tough, he wasn't even all that smart, but he WAS cunning. He had a love for mechanics, even beyond simple trapmaking. He would spend days in the craftsbold's workshop tinkering with devices. He planned new and inventive ways to kill invaders. One of his favorite tools was a pressure plate that triggerd only on weights over 50lbs, so kobolds could run away with safety while adventurers that dared persue were crushed, burned, burried, or worse. When Daak developed the Land Mine, Prossh was so impressed with his ingenuity that he made Daak his second in command and personal strategic adviser. (Level 5: Daak, Trapmaster General)

He studied the struture of the mountains, and created a more efficient way to dig out caverns using explosives. What once took weeks took merely hours. Soon Kher Keep was a labyrinth of corridors, dead ends, pitfalls, and hideaways. Daak felt at one with Kher Ridges, and through that he noticed a power inside this mountain. A beating heart of fiery mana deep within. When he tried to tap into it the power felt amazing. Although as he held onto it, it began to burn him. The pain forced him to let go. Excited at this new prospect, he tried again, this time trying to channel it out and to his surprise a spark escaped his fingertips. Daak was giddy with this new power. He trained and explored this newfound talent to see what he could do. When Prossh caught wind of his ability, he was elated. Daak applied his new craft to his old one, turning deadly and explosive ambushes on dragonslayers into a dungeon of legends. (Level 10: Daak, Task Mage)

The efficiency of destroying would-be raiders was turning rather lucrative for the Dragon. He needed to go on fewer and fewer raids himself, as adventurers were starting to venture to Kher Keep on reputation alone, bringing their own wealth with them. Subsequently leaving it there. As Daak was studying more on how to draw mana from the land, He ventured beyond the mountain into the swamps surrounding Kher Ridges. There, among the biting insects and lurking vermin he found a new type of mana to draw. Unlike the burning of the mountain, this was a cold and hungry force. It was frightning at first, but as he learned how to use it, Daak was pleased with the new power. However as he did so, he began to notice things about Prossh. He hardly left the keep anymore, relying on the reputation of the dungeon to bring him wealth. Wealth that he didn't earn. Wealth that should rightfully belong to Daak. (Level 13: Daak, The Slayer of Prossh)

Fortune smiled upon Daak when one day an adventurer seeking to slay Prossh had died having his skin flayed from the bones by a swarm of locusts. Among the bones, he found a Weapon forged to slay dragons (+3 dragonbane short sword of Frost) With this newfound weapon, Daak formulated a plan. He told Prossh of a passage he uncovered, guarded by a golem, and he needed the dragon's help to get past it and retrieve the wealth behind it. Prossh had no reason not to trust Daak, so he went along the winding corridors. However, Daak had had his brethren plant explosives ahead. At the designated point Daak turned from the dragon just as the cave-in was triggered. Prossh managed to turn just as the rocks crushed his neck. Daak walked towards the incapacitated dragon and, without a word, plunged the dragonbane into Prossh's head. The blade still rests in the Prossh's skull; whispers among the Kobolds tell that the blade is now haunted by Prosshy's spirit.

With Prossh dead, Daak claimed leadership over the Kobolds, and took ownership over Prossh's horde. He spent much time meditating on the folly of Prossh, and to a lesser extent Rohgahh. A dragon of Prossh's legend had surely kept his clan safe, and if news of Prossh's demise spread there would be no telling who would come to claim the horde. Thus Daak devised a plan, none outside the clan could know of Prossh's death. He mandated that the raids would resume, as "Collecting Tribute for Prossh". Daak's desire to become more of a Dragon than Prossh had become manifested itself in a very real way. As he slept in Prossh's hoard, he took on more draconic features. As the secret Overlord of Kher, Daak made Kher Keep a legendary dungeon of death that was spoken in hushed tones throughout the nation. Just how he wanted it. (Level 20: Daak, Overlord of Kher)

Starting Ability Scores (With Racial): Str 8, Dex 14, Con 8, Int 10, Wis 16, Cha 16

Level
Class
Base Attack Bonus
Fort Save
Ref Save
Will Save
Skills
Feats
Class Features

1st
Inventor
+0
+0
+0
+2
Craft(trapmaking) 4, Concentration 4, Knowledge (Architecture and engineering) 4, Knowledge (Dungeoneering) 4, Profession (Miner) 4, Spellcraft 4
Inventive
Demolition (1st)

2nd
Inventor
+1
+0
+0
+3
Craft(trapmaking) 5, Concentration 5, Knowledge (Architecture and engineering) 5, Knowledge (Dungeoneering) 5, Profession (Miner) 5, Spellcraft 5

Repulsion (1st)

3rd
Inventor
+2
+1
+1
+3
Craft(trapmaking) 6, Concentration 6, Knowledge (Architecture and engineering) 6, Knowledge (Dungeoneering) 6, Profession (Miner) 6, Spellcraft 6
Skill Focus (Craft(Trapmaking))
Demolition (2nd)

4th
Inventor
+3
+1
+1
+4
Craft(trapmaking) 7, Concentration 7, Knowledge (Architecture and engineering) 7, Knowledge (Dungeoneering) 7, Profession (Miner) 7, Spellcraft 7

Dynamics (1st)

5th
Inventor
+3
+1
+1
+4
Craft(trapmaking) 8, Concentration 8, Knowledge (Architecture and engineering) 8, Knowledge (Dungeoneering) 8, Profession (Miner) 8, Spellcraft 8

Demolition (3rd)

6th
Spellshaper
+3
+1
+1
+6
Craft(trapmaking) 9, Concentration 9, Knowledge (Architecture and engineering) 9, Knowledge (Dungeoneering) 8, Profession (Miner) 9, Spellcraft 8
Practiced Spellcaster
Spellcasting, Manabond, Favored Color(Red)

7th
Spellshaper
+4
+1
+1
+7
Craft(trapmaking) 10, Concentration 10, Knowledge (Architecture and engineering) 10, Knowledge (Dungeoneering) 8, Profession (Miner) 10, Spellcraft 8

Summon Creature I

8th
Spellshaper
+4
+2
+2
+7
Craft(trapmaking) 11, Concentration 11, Knowledge (Architecture and engineering) 11, Knowledge (Dungeoneering) 8, Profession (Miner) 11, Spellcraft 8

Artifice

9th
Spellshaper
+5
+2
+2
+8
Craft(trapmaking) 12, Concentration 12, Knowledge (Architecture and engineering) 12, Knowledge (Dungeoneering) 8, Profession (Miner) 12, Spellcraft 8
Extraordinary Trapsmith
Summon Creature II

10th
Spellshaper
+6
+2
+2
+8
Craft(trapmaking) 13, Concentration 13, Knowledge (Architecture and engineering) 13, Knowledge (Dungeoneering) 8, Profession (Miner) 13, Spellcraft 8

New Color Known(Black)

11th
Spellshaper
+6/+1
+3
+3
+9
Craft(trapmaking) 14, Concentration 14, Knowledge (Architecture and engineering) 14, Knowledge (Dungeoneering) 8, Profession (Miner) 14, Spellcraft 8

Summon Creature III

12th
Spellshaper
+7/+2
+3
+3
+9
Craft(trapmaking) 15, Concentration 15, Knowledge (Architecture and engineering) 15, Knowledge (Dungeoneering) 8, Profession (Miner) 15, Spellcraft 8
Spell Focus(Conjuration)
Mana Ramp (Seething Song)

13th
Spellshaper
+7/+2
+3
+3
+10
Craft(trapmaking) 16, Concentration 16, Knowledge (Architecture and engineering) 16, Knowledge (Dungeoneering) 8, Profession (Miner) 16, Spellcraft 8

Summon Creature IV

14th
Dragonsoul Acolyte
+7/+2
+5
+3
+12
Craft(trapmaking) 17, Concentration 17, Knowledge (Architecture and engineering) 17, Knowledge (Dungeoneering) 8, Profession (Miner) 17, Spellcraft 8

Tutelary Dragon (Red), Tutelary Skills, Breath Weapon (1dX+1/2 Charisma modifier), Darkvision, Dragonblooded, Hoard

15th
Dragonsoul Acolyte
+8/+3
+6
+3
+13
Craft(trapmaking) 18, Concentration 18, Knowlege (Architecture and engineering) 18, Knowledge (Dungeoneering) 8, Profession (Miner) 18, Spellcraft 8
Augmented Summoning
Cantrips, Claws, Fundamentalis Diet

16th
Dragonsoul Acolyte
+9/+4
+6
+4
+13
Craft(trapmaking) 19, Concentration 19, Knowlege (Architecture and engineering) 19, Knowledge (Dungeoneering) 8, Profession (Miner) 19, Spellcraft 8

Breath Weapon (2dX+1/2 Charisma modifier), Lesser Energy Resistance, Draconic Immunities

17th
Dragonsoul Acolyte
+10/+54
+7
+4
+14
Craft(trapmaking) 20, Concentration 20, Knowlege (Architecture and engineering) 20, Knowledge (Dungeoneering) 8, Profession (Miner) 20, Spellcraft 8

Scales (+1), Spell Pool (1st), Lesser Draconic Aspect

18th
Dragonsoul Acolyte
+10/+5
+7
+4
+13
Craft(trapmaking) 21, Concentration 21, Knowlege (Architecture and engineering) 21, Knowledge (Dungeoneering) 8, Profession (Miner) 21, Spellcraft 8
Spell Focus (evocation)
Draconic Body (+2 Strength), Skill Aptitude, Breath Weapon (3dX + Charisma modifier)

19th
Dragonsoul Acolyte
+11/+6/+1
+8
+5
+14
Craft(trapmaking) 22, Concentration 22, Knowlege (Architecture and engineering) 22, Knowledge (Dungeoneering) 8, Profession (Miner) 22, Spellcraft 8

Dragon Form 1/day, Draconic Spirit (+2 Charisma)

20th
Dragonsoul Acolyte
+12/+7/+2
+8
+5
+14
Craft(trapmaking) 23, Concentration 23, Knowlege (Architecture and engineering) 23, Knowledge (Dungeoneering) 8, Profession (Miner) 23, Spellcraft 8

Dragon Type, Energy Resistance, Spell Pool (2nd level), Breath Weapon (4dX + Charisma modifier)

Invention Points: 28

Typical Inventions Prepared:
Elemental Jacket (Cold) (5)
Force Armor (2)
Force Shield (2)
Demolition Charge x3 (12)
Landmine (6)

Tactics
Level 5: Daak, Trapmaster General: Daak prefers to work behind the scenes, subtly. He'll use Demolition charges to close off passageways and force a fight to his terms. One particularly devious tactic is to set up a landmine while his allies are engaging the invaders. Once set he will signal a retreat to get his allies across before it arms itself. If he is caught unprepared, he will immediately take a total defense and move for the nearest Choke Point Trap (See: Races of the Dragon Web Enhancement) while letting out a whistle to alert any kobolds in the next rooms. he will continue runing until he reaches an ally. The Keep is littered with mechanical traps that he can run past without difficulty, Automatic Phalanxes, Pits filled with centepedes, tubs of oil to knock over as he runs past. Fair fights are how you die.

Level 10: Daak, Task Mage: Much like before, Daak would always prefer to run than have a fair fight. However his magical abilities give him a distinct advantage as he draws off magic while evading persuers. For example he will throw a shock in an attempt to interrupt a spellcaster that tries to cast a spell on him. If an enemy gets stuck in a choke point trap, he may summon an earth elemental to block the path, or he'll throw a fireball to light an oil slick while his persuers are standing on it. Daak may also use wands he's looted from foolish adventurers

Level 13: Daak, The Slayer of Prossh: The visciousness and ambition that his use of black mana granted him, gives Daak a no-holds-barred attitude to combat. He will often open with a crossbow bolt and a shock as he always had, but depending on his opponent, his tactics will vary. He may summon a swarm of locusts to cover his enemies, while his allies continue to attack at range. An alip summoned can cripple a party poorly prepared, following up with a mind rot on those weakened. A Terror spell to incapacitate a spellcaster. A Seething Song into a Fireball can make short work of a group in the narrow corrodors of the dungeon. Combined with knowledge of the location, and knowing when and where to run, Daak becomes a force to be taken seriously.

Level 20: Daak, Overlord of Kher: As the lord of Kher, Daak has the unbound resources of the late Prossh's horde and the spoils of failed invaders. He is less afraid of combat, yet he still prefers to fight indirectly or at least pose among the ordinary kobolds. Daak takes the oppurtunity to plan ahead for encounters, sometimes days in advance. Using scouts to find what adventurers are comming to slay "Prossh" as they trek through the swamps surrounding Kher Ridges, Daak sets his Horde bonus for them specifically. He will use his demolition skills and trapsmithing to separate his targets then take them out one at a time, Disabling them with a spell such as Glitterdust or Web then killing them with his spellshaping before they know what happened. He still does not like to engage in melee combat and, if pressed, will flee through trapped areas at the first sign that he might be injured. He's not a coward, but he is no fool about his own physical frailty.

Beelzebub1111
2016-03-16, 09:53 PM
Huh. Interesting. I believe that's all I can say without giving away which one is mine...I'll talk more when the judging is up and done.

Jormengand
2016-03-17, 12:18 PM
I was a little worried that my entry would be obvious from using my own brew, but then both of them did, so...

sengmeng
2016-03-17, 12:38 PM
Today was the original day given for judges to finish, but I didn't get the entries to the judges on time, so I'm going to say Monday the 21st. Will also be opening Round II soon now.

Beelzebub1111
2016-03-18, 10:54 AM
Does 2 claws and a bite count as meeting the prerequisite for multiattack? or does it need to be three separate groups, like a claw, a bite and a tail?

sengmeng
2016-03-18, 11:21 AM
Does 2 claws and a bite count as meeting the prerequisite for multiattack? or does it need to be three separate groups, like a claw, a bite and a tail?

As far as I know, the number of attacks matters, not the number of types.

Zaydos
2016-03-18, 01:31 PM
You just need number not types. See roc (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/roc.htm) (2 talons and a bite), compare to ravid (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/ravid.htm) which gets a note that it can ignore the prerequisite (tail slap and claw... or touch versions of those).

Beelzebub1111
2016-03-20, 08:26 AM
Okay, I'm almost done with this character. A lot easier than the last one. All I need to do are backstory and the write ups for the levels

Temotei
2016-03-21, 05:37 PM
Getting done with the entries. Should we post the judging here like in Iron Chef?

Jormengand
2016-03-21, 05:43 PM
Getting done with the entries. Should we post the judging here like in Iron Chef?

I think that's the idea.

sengmeng
2016-03-21, 06:06 PM
I think that's the idea.
Yes, that's fine, but I could also take them via PM and present them anonymously. I leave it up to you.

Jormengand
2016-03-22, 11:55 AM
Yes, that's fine, but I could also take them via PM and present them anonymously. I leave it up to you.

Given that disputes have to be made anonymously, any dispute process would take even longer than usual to resolve, so I strongly advise asking the judges to post in-thread.

Beelzebub1111
2016-03-23, 08:21 AM
I'm done with my dragon submission, I just want to wait until the judging is posted to see if there is anything I can work on.

Temotei
2016-03-23, 01:10 PM
I'm done with my dragon submission, I just want to wait until the judging is posted to see if there is anything I can work on.

Should be done tonight, maybe tomorrow depending on stuff. Been pretty busy and the night I was hard working on them I fell asleep for...I dunno, almost fourteen hours, I think, which delayed my finish. Anyway, don't forget to dispute my claims when I finish! :smalltongue:

sengmeng
2016-03-23, 06:22 PM
Should be done tonight, maybe tomorrow depending on stuff. Been pretty busy and the night I was hard working on them I fell asleep for...I dunno, almost fourteen hours, I think, which delayed my finish. Anyway, don't forget to dispute my claims when I finish! :smalltongue:

Whenever you're ready, go ahead an post here. You can as well, Zaydos.

Beelzebub1111
2016-03-25, 10:53 AM
Just a quick question from a first time iron chef entrant: How do disputes work? What are we disputing?

Like, is it "This feat/feature/combination of abilities doesn't work the way you think it does?" or is it a general claim, or something else entirely?

Jormengand
2016-03-25, 05:46 PM
Just a quick question from a first time iron chef entrant: How do disputes work? What are we disputing?

Like, is it "This feat/feature/combination of abilities doesn't work the way you think it does?" or is it a general claim, or something else entirely?

You can dispute any aspect of the judging that you feel has been mishandled or any misapprehensions you believe the judge to be under. In the current Villainous Competition, some posters - myself included - have posted in-thread about actual RAW issues not necessarily related to our own builds, though otherwise disputes can be levied, by PM, about anything.

Beelzebub1111
2016-03-26, 09:19 AM
Okay then, I don't expect anything on my end, but it's good to know.

Also, suggestion for next contest: superheroes.

Temotei
2016-03-29, 04:44 PM
Sorry for the delay, peeps. I sent the judgings to sengmeng as he requested via PM. Had a bad migraine develop a few days ago and was throwing up and all that jazz so posting was delayed, and then of course I hit the X button too fast when trying to post because I'm a derp who gets excited over video games, so further delays, ahoy!

Anyway, hope I did alright. When/if disputes come in, I'll be sure to respond as quickly as possible.

sengmeng
2016-03-29, 06:55 PM
Here are our judges' scores:

Originality: 3.5
This concept is ridiculous and hilarious. I dig it. Stone rat priest of decadence is the weirdest name for a class, but the little bit of fluff it has fits with what you've got. Tall tale feels a bit weird here, though. Maybe it's the really small amount of story here, or a lack of explanation beyond being even more awesome at climbing and stabbing. I dunno. Not a huge deal, since the class is so malleable and the mechanics fit. Just feels a tad weird.

Power: 4.5
Lurk climbs things really well with a +52 modifier (23 ranks, +5 Strength modifier, +8 from climb speed, +13 from stone rat climb) without items at level 20. That basically means he never fails unless he's trying to climb a "perfectly smooth, flat, vertical surface" or something even more difficult (with items and spells the DC 70 for that becomes trivial as well). Pretty cool on its own, considering he can do that with one limb while holding daggers with the rest. Along with his stealthy skills, tons of damage boosts, the ability to remove damage reduction, and hiding from divinations, this makes Lurk a really strong assassin that almost no one can see coming. Darkstalker would have made him even better at this, I think, probably in place of Two-Weapon Harmony (since Lurk doesn't qualify at 1st level--see below)...especially considering he seems to like caves so much. Plenty of dangerous critters in caverns have some sort of special sense that Darkstalker would really help with. That said, it's not necessary, and Lurk does his job well enough without it.

He's also really hard to kill and escape, with probably pretty high AC, Harrying Pursuit, reach, and all that jazz.

Elegance: 3.5
Lurk doesn't qualify for Two-Weapon Harmony at 1st-level, as far as I can tell, since it requires both Two-Weapon Fighting and Improved Two-Weapon Fighting and stone rat style only gives Two-Weapon Fighting--not to mention the BAB +9 requirement.

Other than that, everything seems in order, and the levels are simple and well-placed (in my opinion). It's an easy build to keep track of other than the tons of homebrew (but that's kind of the point of the contest so).

Concept: 2.5
The story is a bit sparse and I'm not sure I really feel who Lurk is other than a guy who happens to climb and stab things really well. Also he likes caves? That said, Lurk's abilities fit easily in a dungeon setting and he would definitely be an asset to almost any dungeon-delving party.

Total Score: 14

Originality: 3
A kobold trapmaster who gains sorcerous abilities and turns into a dragon. Not too creative by itself, but the integration of the story helps here--it doesn't just feel like Daak is any old kobold following his ancestry; it feels like he is his own character.

Power: 3
Daak's got kind of a weird build going on, but it seems to work out pretty well. But the problems I see aren't in the build itself, but in the progression of the build. At a few levels, the build either feels like it doesn't fit the character well because Daak can't do what he wants to do (levels 1-2 are kind of awkward because he wants to avoid melee, but gets class features mainly focusing on damage in melee and AC...and he probably won't be succeeding on Craft (trapmaking) checks consistently. Even if he does manage it, he can barely afford the traps.) or it feels like Daak isn't gaining much from his levels (levels 14-16 stand out).

Taking Inventive at 1st level is probably unnecessary. You gain very few invention points at those levels (since the feat caps based on your IL) and the inventions themselves aren't allowing Daak to do what he wants to do in the first place. I think if Skill Focus (Craft [trapmaking]) and Inventive were swapped Daak would lose very little at those first couple of levels while gaining more consistent trapmaking, at least (for which he hopefully has the necessary wealth).

As for levels 14-16, Daak gains very little from his class features. Most of them are just not enough at these levels to make an impact.

Past that, Daak at least gains some very limited sorcerer casting (and the hoard bonuses start to matter a little more), but the dragonsoul acolyte levels just seem...I dunno, weaker than advancing either spellshaper or inventor more, I guess. At level 20, when Daak gains a couple of 2nd-level sorcerer spells per day...that's nice, but it just doesn't seem like enough at this point.

That said, before those last levels (and after the first two or so), Daak seems pretty good to me. He could adventure and be...fine at it, but gods help you if you invade his trap-laden home when he's prepared to meet you and continually harass you.

Elegance: 3
Small note, the rules ask for write-ups on level 5, 10, 15, 20, and a sweet spot. There's also a typo in the Base Attack Bonus column ("+10/+54").

Also, cite all of your sources outside of core (PHB, DMG, MM I)--not just the homebrew. The rules are unclear, so no penalty for that. Next time, though, make sure to do that. Thankfully, very few things needed citation (and I knew where they were anyway), so it really was not a big deal at all.

For ability scores, make sure to always note where the character is getting ability score increases from levels.

Also, make sure to use the most recent version of homebrew. Inventions (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?461501-Inventions!-Magitech-Classes-Base-Class-Contest-30-winner-PEACH) and the dragonsoul acolyte (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?394552-Dragonsoul-Acolytye-%28Base-Class-Base-Class-Contest-XXIV-winner%29) both have new threads (though I don't believe the changes present in those threads affect the character very much, if at all).

Finally, the build is rather streamlined, with a fairly straightforward progression of 5/8/7, which is nice. No jumping around class levels or dipping and whatnot. Straight to the point of the story and character.

Concept: 4.5
Everything in the build emphasizes Daak's dungeon-keeping abilities, his dungeon, and being in a dungeon. The story is nice, too.

Total Score: 13.5

Originality: 2. Kobold dragon-emulator, kobold trap-smith and the combination of the two are not particularly original but that said I'd not have thought of including spellshaper in such a combination, and it's not something I've often seen mechanically explored.

Power: 1.5. Mechanistically they are reliant upon having a prepared location and lots of resources for traps to work. A 20th level member of any one of the three classes would be stronger in raw power, and could use the same trapmaking and locational knowledge. Same is true at most levels of any equal leveled member of Inventor, and later Spellshaper, or Dragonsoul Acolyte.

Elegance: 4. It's simple but everything comes together to create an interesting whole that works both with D&D and M:tG fluff. It may not be the most powerful but it's all pointed towards making a whole and a character.

Concept: 4. It's the dungeon master, the boss monster as opposed to the player, but it is a character which screams dungeons. May not be the most powerful boss encounter, especially at higher levels, but could be quite satisfying at the proper level of play.

Total: 11.5

Originality: 3.5. They got some good stuff by going to a multitude of sources, but the master climber idea has been done a fair bit (if less than

Power: 3. This one actually is packing some juice. Of course it loses points in that 90% of the juice comes from a single Races of War feat which just points out how RoW feats are not really intended for normal play, but that'll hit more for elegance still it hits here in that 90% of your power coming from one highly broken ability is not really a good thing. The big one here is that they don't actually qualify for 2 Weapon Harmony (prereq Improved Two-Weapon Fighting, BAB +9) until 13th level which impacts their low level AoO based play heavily (also failing to realize that moving adjacent to a creature charging you does nothing to stop its charge doesn't help), and they linked a word for word reprint of Combat Reflexes and talked about how it was better than the standard one :smallconfused: Which... belongs in elegance. Still short of Combat School being able to grant massive numbers of daze attempts per round they don't actually have much going for them (lots of attacks per round for low damage and low accuracy).

Elegance: 1.5. A lot of this was gotten into above. Not fulfilling prerequisites for feats, leaping through hoops to eke out power and relying on one cheesy feat for 90% of their power just doesn't say elegant to me.

Concept: 1.5. While climbing is something you do in dungeons, the character ended up a climber and not well anything that had to do with dungeons in particular. Even the fluff they give emphasizes the quest and... oddly outdoor adventuring (mountains, waterfalls). I mean yeah they're maneuverable in a dungeon, but they aren't really a dungeon character.

Total: 9.5

23.5 for Lurk
25 for Daak

So far, I've just added the judges' scores to determine the winner... if anyone has a better notion for scoring, feel free to recommend it. The discussion is now open for disputes.

Beelzebub1111
2016-03-30, 07:56 AM
I don't really have any disputes to make, the criticism is fair. Were I to make the character again, I would have gone back into inventor for higher levels.

I will try to be better about artful drafting and typographical errors next time. I must have misread the part about needing all five.

I think it's funny how I made a dragon for the dungeon competition and the next one turned out to be dtagons. Does that mean I'll be using dungeon classes for the dragon theme? Who knows?

Jormengand
2016-03-30, 08:56 AM
You're not really meant to reveal your build until after the competition. Although, I for one am just laughing at the fact that both competitors started off by jumping headlong into one of my base classes and staying there for, on average, nine levels.

Temotei
2016-04-08, 11:26 PM
Maybe we should grant judges a few extra days when judging, if only because it's a homebrew contest, so there will almost always be extra reading involved. It's different in a contest with only published material where you likely know how stuff works.

Beelzebub1111
2016-04-18, 10:47 AM
What's going on with the contest? Is it dead?

Temotei
2016-04-18, 03:05 PM
What's going on with the contest? Is it dead?

We're getting hit by a bit of rain in Minnesota. Could be that sengmeng got flooded or something if he's got a basement that doesn't specifically protect against it.

Or it could be the real life. Real life is mean like that. No consideration for forum contest fun. :smalltongue:

sengmeng
2016-04-19, 12:32 PM
Or it could be the real life. Real life is mean like that. No consideration for forum contest fun. :smalltongue:

This. I've had two 60+ hour work weeks back to back... and I just realized the disputes were never forwarded to the judges. Will do that tonight, and possibly send the next entrants.

Hang in there.

Temotei
2016-04-21, 04:15 AM
I'll just post this here so everyone can see to what I am replying.

So for Temotei:

Yeah, SRPoD (which I now want to call sauropod) is a weird class, probably because the name appears to have been randomly generated by the same thing that made the, I kid you not, temporal demi-artificer of might. Don't even ask.

The world is full of weird-ass things.

The reason I took Tall Tale was because I had the idea that Lurk didn't just want to be some guy who climbed on things: he wanted to be a climbing LEGEND. Also the fact that it means that I get climbing bonuses from it doesn't hurt. I should point out - not that it'll change my score - that "That basically means he never fails unless he's trying to climb a "perfectly smooth, flat, vertical surface" or something even more difficult" isn't quite true at level 20: he treats it as having adequate handholds and footholds from his 13th-level sauropod ability.

I think tall tale would have felt better if the entry were fleshed out more. If I really felt who Lurk was as a person, it might have made more sense. No change in score. (+0)

Ah, yeah, you're right on that last bit. No change in score, though, as predicted. :smalltongue: (+0)

For some reason I didn't read TWH. D'oh. Does that really lose me 1.5 points?

It's not so much that you lost 1.5 points as you gained 0.5 points because your build is pretty streamlined and easy to follow mechanically. You probably lost like 0.5 from that little mishap. I'll set up more concrete judging criteria next time I judge (unless I'm judging HC II, in which case you'll have to wait until III). No change in score. (+0)

The idea was that because dungeon rooms tend to be small, and sauropods can hang from the ceiling, they can hang above someone and start stabbing them.

I don't really know to what this refers.

Total Change in Score: +0

Beelzebub1111
2016-04-25, 11:35 AM
Will the entrants to the second contest be posted to the thread? Or are we waiting until after the judging this time.

Any ideas for the next contest?

Also, I haven't seen zaydos in a while. I hope he's okay.

Temotei
2016-04-25, 12:29 PM
Also, I haven't seen zaydos in a while. I hope he's okay.

We are nearing the end of the semester. Could be that he's busy with schoolwork/tired out.

Semi-related (to sengmeng), for judging, I believe the custom is per-contest judging volunteers so that no judge feels obligated to do every contest.

sengmeng
2016-04-25, 01:02 PM
We are nearing the end of the semester. Could be that he's busy with schoolwork/tired out.

Semi-related (to sengmeng), for judging, I believe the custom is per-contest judging volunteers so that no judge feels obligated to do every contest.

Ahh. Ok. Well, entries will be posted to the thread soon, and I suppose then I'll be seeking judges. Are you still ok dong it?

Temotei
2016-04-25, 01:05 PM
Ahh. Ok. Well, entries will be posted to the thread soon, and I suppose then I'll be seeking judges. Are you still ok dong it?

Sure, I'll do this one.

Temotei
2016-05-17, 08:18 PM
Oh, sorry, peeps. I totally forgot about this in the midst of life. I'll be done by the end of the week I think.

Beelzebub1111
2016-05-17, 08:46 PM
It happens, we all forget things. In fact I forgot that I had my Juicer entry in the base class contest to finish. Better get to work on that.

sengmeng
2016-05-19, 06:45 PM
Oh, sorry, peeps. I totally forgot about this in the midst of life. I'll be done by the end of the week I think.

I guess you are our sole judge at the moment. Unless our entrants would like me add my two cents in? I would by necessity be aware of the entrants' identities, unfortunately.

Third round will be up soon.

Jormengand
2016-05-20, 05:02 PM
You could always post the builds. That would be an idea.

sengmeng
2016-05-20, 07:45 PM
You could always post the builds. That would be an idea.

Ah yes. I resolve to do it first thing after my nap and shower.

Are we going to see a voting thread for the Villainous Brew?

Jormengand
2016-05-21, 06:40 AM
Ah yes. I resolve to do it first thing after my nap and shower.

Are we going to see a voting thread for the Villainous Brew?

Oh yeah. Gratuitously stealing from the base class competition, please hold...

Beelzebub1111
2016-05-21, 10:39 AM
By the way. I'm willing to judge the next round if Temotei wants to enter.

Jormengand
2016-05-29, 01:39 PM
Is this still a thing?

sengmeng
2016-06-02, 07:09 PM
Is this still a thing?

I would prefer YES.

Posting Builds momentarily.

If you see me on other threads on the forum, please don't think I'm ignoring this contest or others. I post mostly from my phone, but posting anything with real substance requires my computer, and I don't have access as often.

sengmeng
2016-06-02, 07:10 PM
Dovahkiin
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/OsROQUWaHnQ/maxresdefault.jpg
"Skyrim legend tells of a hero known as the Dragonborn, a warrior with the body of a mortal and soul of a dragon, whose destiny it is to destroy the evil dragon Alduin."

Dovahkiin, the Dragonborn, is the hero of Skyrim and hunter of dragons. Despite being sentenced to death Dovahkiin was, ironically enough, saved by the timely intervention of the dragon Alduin, who later became the dragonborn's target.

Dragonborn of Bahamut (Heart) (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/iw/20060105b) Illumian (Uurnaen)RoD Adventurer (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?471934-The-Adventurer-3-5-class-PEACH)Jor 20

Illumian is a good choice for Dovahkiin, as they specifically call out that they keep their sigils even when they change forms, overruling Dragonborn of Bahamut's stipulation that they're removed.

Assuming 32 PB, we're maxing int. No, no arguing, we're maxing int. You'll see why when you realise what we're spending all our talents on. However, we're a warrior-type at heart, so let's put, like, a 14 or something in strength. I seem to remember actually getting the heavy armour perk that added your gauntlet armour bonus to your damage and just going around punching dragons, but we're gonna assume you're a two-hand fighter because that's easiest feat-wise and we need a hell of a lot of feats.

So let's go 14/12/12/18/10/8, which goes to 14/10/14/18/10/8, and then you dump everything in int when you level up. Snazzy.

The ritual of rebirth costs 100 GP, but whatever. Arguably, the Adventurer can just pull the required materials out of the bag of useful items, but that's probably a bit silly. I dunno.

Dragonborn is also cool, because it allows Dovahkiin to use two of the more iconic shouts, Fire/Inferno/Sun (Fire breath) and Frost/Cold/Freeze (Frost Breath). It even has a cooldown time, which is pretty thematic. :smalltongue:Look, I'm going to save your time here: Jormengand or the Tome of Magic made all of the truespeak stuff (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?397500-The-Worldspeaker-revisited-Truenamer-PEACH). Fus ro dah, bitches.

Level
Class
Base Attack Bonus
Fort Save
Ref Save
Will Save
Skills
Feats
Class Features

1st
Adventurer 1
+0
+2
+2
+0
Bluff 4, Craft 4, Disable Device 4, Hide 4, Knowledge (Arcana) 4, Move Silently 4, Open Lock 4, Sleight of Hand 4, Swim 4, Truespeak 4
Codex Skill Focus (https://dnd-wiki.org/wiki/Codex_Skill_Focus_%283.5e_Feat%29) (Truespeak)Lez, Least Extra Utterance (Universal Aptitude, Minor Word of Nurturing)
Bag of Useful Items, Bonus Feat

2nd
Adventurer 2
+1
+3
+3
+0
Bluff 5, Craft 5, Disable Device 5, Hide 5, Knowledge (Arcana) 5, Move Silently 5, Open Lock 5, Sleight of Hand 5, Swim 5, Truespeak 5
Least Extra Utterance (Inertia Surge)
Lucky Escape 1/day, Bonus Feat

3rd
Adventurer 3
+2
+3
+3
+1
Bluff 6, Craft 6, Disable Device 6, Hide 6, Knowledge (Arcana) 6, Move Silently 6, Open Lock 6, Sleight of Hand 6, Swim 6, Truespeak 6
Minor Extra Utterance (Temporal Twist)
Improvised Item Proficiency, Bag of Additional Items

4th
Adventurer 4
+3
+4
+4
+1
Bluff 7, Craft 7, Disable Device 7, Hide 7, Knowledge (Arcana) 7, Move Silently 7, Open Lock 7, Sleight of Hand 7, Swim 7, Truespeak 7
Minor Extra Utterance (Hidden Truth)
Use Anything, Bonus Feat

5th
Adventurer 5
+5
+4
+4
+1
Bluff 8, Craft 8, Disable Device 8, Hide 8, Knowledge (Arcana) 8, Move Silently 8, Open Lock 8, Sleight of Hand 8, Swim 8, Truespeak 8
Lesser Extra Utterance (Greater Speed of the Zephyr)
Bonus Feat, Skilled Combatant

6th
Adventurer 6
+6
+5
+5
+2
Bluff 9, Craft 9, Disable Device 9, Hide 9, Knowledge (Arcana) 9, Move Silently 9, Open Lock 9, Sleight of Hand 9, Swim 9, Truespeak 9
Lesser Extra Utterance (Energy Negation)
Contact 1/day, Armoured Adventurer

7th
Adventurer 7
+7
+5
+5
+2
Bluff 10, Craft 10, Disable Device 10, Hide 10, Knowledge (Arcana) 10, Move Silently 10, Open Lock 10, Sleight of Hand 10, Swim 10, Truespeak 10
Moderate Extra Utterance (Relocate)
Fast Learner, Bonus Feat, Feats of Glory

8th
Adventurer 8
+8
+6
+6
+2
Bluff 11, Craft 11, Disable Device 11, Hide 11, Jump 1 Knowledge (Arcana) 11, Move Silently 11, Open Lock 11, Sleight of Hand 11, Swim 11, Truespeak 11
Moderate Extra Utterance (Morale Boost)
Lucky Escape 1/hour, Bonus Feat

9th
Adventurer 9
+9
+6
+6
+3
Bluff 12, Craft 12, Disable Device 12, Hide 12, Jump 2 Knowledge (Arcana) 12, Move Silently 12, Open Lock 12, Sleight of Hand 12, Swim 12, Truespeak 12
Greater Extra Utterance (Agitate Metal), Quicken Utterance
I know you!, Bonus Feat

10th
Adventurer 10
+10
+7
+7
+3
Bluff 13, Craft 13, Disable Device 13, Hide 13, Jump 3 Knowledge (Arcana) 13, Move Silently 13, Open Lock 13, Sleight of Hand 13, Swim 13, Truespeak 13
Greater Extra Utterance (Greater Seek the Sky), Empower Utterance, Skill Focus (Truespeak)
Master of Fun, Diplomatic Immunity, Jack of All Raids, Bonus Feat, Bonus Feat, Bonus Feat

11th
Adventurer 11
+11
+7
+7
+3
Bluff 14, Craft 14, Disable Device 14, Hide 14, Jump 4 Knowledge (Arcana) 14, Move Silently 14, Open Lock 14, Sleight of Hand 14, Swim 14, Truespeak 14
Major Extra Utterance (Ether Reforged)
Bonus Feat, Friends in High Places

12th
Adventurer 12
+12
+8
+8
+4
Bluff 15, Craft 15, Disable Device 15, Hide 15, Jump 5 Knowledge (Arcana) 15, Move Silently 15, Open Lock 15, Sleight of Hand 15, Swim 15, Truespeak 15
Major Extra Utterance (Singular Mind)
Contact 2/day, Hunch

13th
Adventurer 13
+13
+8
+8
+4
Bluff 16, Craft 16, Disable Device 16, Hide 16, Jump 6 Knowledge (Arcana) 16, Move Silently 16, Open Lock 16, Sleight of Hand 16, Swim 16, Truespeak 16
Super Extra Utterance (Word of Unrelenting Force)
Bag of Additional Items, Bag of Superfluous Items, Bonus Feat

14th
Adventurer 14
+14
+9
+9
+4
Bluff 17, Craft 17, Disable Device 17, Hide 17, Jump 7 Knowledge (Arcana) 17, Move Silently 17, Open Lock 17, Sleight of Hand 17, Swim 17, Truespeak 17
Super Extra Utterance (Master the Four Winds)
Lucky Escape 1/minute, Bonus Feat

15th
Adventurer 15
+15
+9
+9
+5
Bluff 18, Craft 18, Disable Device 18, Hide 18, Jump 8 Knowledge (Arcana) 18, Move Silently 18, Open Lock 18, Sleight of Hand 18, Swim 18, Truespeak 18
Superior Extra Utterance (Sieze Item)
Trap Sense

16th
Adventurer 16
+16
+10
+10
+5
Bluff 19, Craft 19, Disable Device 19, Hide 19, Jump 10 Knowledge (Arcana) 19, Move Silently 19, Open Lock 19, Sleight of Hand 19, Swim 19, Truespeak 19
Superior Extra Utterance (Superior Knight's Puissance)
Sixth Sense, Bonus Feat

17th
Adventurer 17
+17
+10
+10
+5
Bluff 20, Craft 20, Disable Device 20, Hide 20, Jump 12 Knowledge (Arcana) 20, Move Silently 20, Open Lock 20, Sleight of Hand 20, Swim 20, Truespeak 20
Superlative Extra Utterance (Conjunctive Gate)
Intuition, Bonus Feat

18th
Adventurer 18
+18
+11
+11
+6
Bluff 21, Craft 21, Disable Device 21, Hide 21, Jump 14 Knowledge (Arcana) 21, Move Silently 21, Open Lock 21, Sleight of Hand 21, Swim 21, Truespeak 21
Superlative Extra Utterance (Gate of Worlds), Superlative Extra Utterance (Superlative Essence of Lifespark)
Contact 3/day, Bonus Feat

19th
Adventurer 19
+19
+11
+11
+6
Bluff 22, Craft 22, Disable Device 22, Hide 22, Jump 16 Knowledge (Arcana) 22, Move Silently 22, Open Lock 22, Sleight of Hand 22, Swim 22, Truespeak 22
Superlative Extra Utterance (Anger the Sleeping Earth)
Legend Keeper, Specific Knowledge, Bonus Feat

20th
Adventurer 20
+20
+12
+12
+6
Bluff 23, Craft 23, Disable Device 23, Hide 23, Jump 18 Knowledge (Arcana) 23, Move Silently 23, Open Lock 23, Sleight of Hand 23, Swim 23, Truespeak 23
Superlative Extra Utterance (Superlative Word of Nurturing)
Lucky Escape 1/round, Bonus Feat

These are how I've tried to emulate all the dragonborn shouts:

Animal/Allegiance/Pack (Raan Mir Tah, Animal Allegiance): Reversed Singular Mind allows you to Dominate Monster.
Life/Seek/Hunt (Laas Yah Nir, Aura Whisper): You have some divination abilities from adventurer that are helpful here.
Loyal/Valor/Inspire (Mid Vur Shan, Battle Fury): Greater Speed of the Zephyr.
Fade/Spirit/Bind (Feim Zii Gron, Become Ethereal): Ether Reforged does this perfectly.
Earth/Mind/Dragon (Gol Hah Dov, Bend Will): Reversed Singular mind again.
Snow/Hunter/Wing (Od Ah Viing, Call Dragon): Conjunctive Gate can gate in a dragon or Singular Mind can force one to advance.
Hero/Champion/Legend (Hun Kaal Zoor, Call of Valor): Conjunctive Gate again, or use Contacts.
Sky/Spring/Summer (Lok Vah Koor, Clear Skies): Master the Four Winds, probably the reversed version.
Wind/Unleash/Strike (Ven Gar Nos, Cyclone): Another Mt4W.
Weapon/Hand/Defeat (Zun Haal Viik, Disarm): Seize Item: the reversed version will send it flying back.
Fear/Run/Terror (Faas/Ru/Maar, Dismay): Reversed Morale Boost
Strength/Armour/Wyrm (Mul Qah Diiv, Dragon Aspect): You, all the time.
Mortal/Finite/Temporary (Joor Zah Frul, Dragonrend): Reversed Greater Seek the Sky
Stamina/Magic/Health (Gaan Lah Haas, Drain Vitality): Superlative Essence of Lifespark isn't perfect, but the reversed version on your enemy followed by the normal version on yourself has a similar effect if you're level drained.
Air/Battle/Grace (Su Grah Dun, Elemental Fury): Greater Speed of the Zephyr.
Fire/Inferno/Sun (Yol Toor Shul, Fire Breath): Breath weapon attack.
Frost/Cold/Freeze (Fo Krah Diin, Frost Breath): Breath weapon attack.
Ice/Flesh/Statue (Iiz Slen Nus, Ice Form): Reversed Agitate Metal.
Kyne/Peace/Trust (Kaan Drem Ov, Kyne's Peace): Reversed Singular Mind again, or throw a Ward of Peace on yourself.
Kill/Leech/Suffer (Krii Lun Aus, Marked for Death): Reversed Superlative Essence of Lifespark helps for this.
Essence/Tear/Zombie (Rii Vaaz Zol, Soul Tear): Another one where Reversed Superlative Essence of Lifespark is good: the fact it turns enemies to wights if it kills them is nice and fluffy.
Time/Sand/Eternity (Tiid Klo Ul, Slow Time): Reversed Greater Speed of the Zephyr.
Storm/Wrath/Lightning (Strun Bah Qo, Storm Call): Mt4W.
Curse/Never/Dying (Dur Neh Viir, Summon Durnehviir): Gate that suckah in.
Voice/Fool/Far (Zul Mey Gut, Throw Voice): You may need to invest in a wand of ghost sound. By which I mean pull one out of your Bag of Useful Items. Sorry! You can Singular Mind people to go and look at the noise, though.
Force/Balance/Push (Fus Ro Dah, Unrelenting Force): Word of Unrelenting Force is this in a can.
Whirlwind/Fury/Tempest (Wuld Nah Kest, Whirlwind Sprint): Reversed Word of Unrelenting Force is a tribute to this. Relocate is also potentially this.

Also, a few other abilities are based on the game: Armoured Adventurer for the fact that the Dovahkiin can apparently jump around with no problem in full plate, I Know You! for no other reason than that's what a guard says to you when you have a tiny bounty and talk to them, Friends in High Places because you're the Jarl's best mate, Diplomatic Immunity because you get that in Whiterun after you get the axe thing, etcetera. Similarly the skills are just things that Dovahkiin goes around doing, like suddenly being able to pick locks because reasons.

I was very, very close to making the dragonborn a catfolk, then decided against it.
The important level here is 9th, where you can throw some Thu'um goodness at someone and also drop a full attack on them at the same time, so as you get more utterances you can swing a greatsword a few times and then Fus Ro Dah them in the face, or gate in a hero or Durnehviir/Odahviing before full round moving away from the fight. Even at ninth level, though, you can freeze someone to death, or even just charge someone and use your swift action to Relocate onto a nearby hill ("Location visible", after all).

7 is similarly a neat level because that's when you get Relocate in the first instance, so if you have a bow and arrow you can teleport onto a nearby tower and start shooting people. You can also bring an enemy to you, meaning you can bring them just off the edge of the tower (careful; they're entitled to a climb check to grab back on). 7 is also pretty swell because you can use any one utterance once per day, and can also choose an additional utterance each day. I'm honestly not sure which level to make my milestone. But whatever, it's either 7 or 9, depending on whether you want to go archer or get up close and personal. This build can honestly do either well.

Okay, let's go. 5th level. We've just refilled our BAB with a cheeky moderate talent, and can also haste ourself. So next level we'll be making a nice three attacks per round, which is enough to tear apart anything we can hit. +5 or +15 to all skills depending on which skill it is; also neat. Oh, and we have health regeneration, just like Dovahkiin.

10th level: We can bring in dragons down to land and then mess them up in close combat. Or at range, if we prefer. We can walk around cities breaking all sorts of laws and no-one cares, which is also funny. Better than being told not to shout because it's making people nervous, eh? EH?

15th level: This is the point where you're spamming swift-action tornadoes or whatever, and by the way did I mention that FUS RO DAH, BITCHES? What, I did? Okay, because that's a thing you can do. And dominate people. Yeah. Also, you can reroll anything or force a reroll of anything every minute, which is pretty swell. Maybe keep that for save/dies spells.

20th level: Can you beat Alduin? Well, you have to use Greater Reversed Seek the Sky on him. That's just something you have to do. Like, you're contractually obliged or whatever. After that, though, you can run in and start hitting him five times a round with a greatsword or whatever, and continue to shout at him every round. I'd say you're doing pretty good here. Don't forget to summon his ex-buddies Durnehviir and Odahviing just to make the fight even more hilariously easy. Have fun.Jor is Jormengand, Lez is Lezaid, RoD is Races of Destiny. Refreshingly few sources, yay!

sengmeng
2016-06-02, 07:12 PM
Takeo the Dragonscourge
Our tale begins with a young woman named Midori. Exiled from her village and with child, she fled to a Yamabito monastery hidden away in the deep wilderness. The warrior monks took her in unquestioningly and cared for her as she earned her keep for them. Before long, she was ready to give birth and the reason for her exile had become apparent. The child had emerald green scales, horns, a crest and tail. The child was half-dragon. To great misfortune, Midori did not survive the birth, leaving the monks to raise the child themselves.

The monks named the boy Takeo, a name meaning "Valiant Man" they began to train him in their ways, but there was an anger in the young man. A desire for vengeance for the death of his mother, a hatred for dragon-kind, and a plot to kill his father in cold blood. When confronted, he openley admited his desires and would not revoke them, thus he was not allowed to continue his training.

In the night Takeo fled into the night, scrounging to survive. In passing, he heard legends of an evil spirit of death that may grant power to those it deems worthy. Takeo sought out this creature, The Dullahan, and begged it for the power to visit revenge. The inscrutable headless horseman saw the hatred in Takeo's heart, and saw that he would use the gift well. It made him into a Knight of Dullahan, and Takeo set out on his quest to slay his father, and then all dragons.

Half Green Dragon Yamabito (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?407053) Knight of DUllahan (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?326502)
Flaw: Murky-Eyed

Level
Class
Base Attack Bonus
Fort Save
Ref Save
Will Save
Skills
Feats
Class Features

1st
LA +1
--
--
--
--
--
--
--

2nd
LA +2
--
--
--
--
--
--
--

3rd
LA +3
--
--
--
--
--
--
--

4th
Knight of Dullahan 1 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?326502)
+1
+2
+0
+2
Balance 4, Ride 4, Intimidate 4
Multiattack, Toughness (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=14975210&postcount=1) (Flaw)
Aurophobia, Deathwatch, Master of Whips

5th
Knight of Dullahan 2
+2
+3
+0
+3
Balance 5, Ride 5, Intimidate 5

Mettle

6th
Knight of Dullahan 3
+3
+3
+1
+3
Balance 6, Ride 6, Intimidate 6/td]
[td]Weapon Focus(Hand and a Half Sword)
Soul Bound Armor/td]

[td]7th
Knight of Dullahan 4
+4
+4
+1
+4
Balance 7, Ride 7, Intimidate 7

Dying Body (Negative Healing, Sleep)

8th
Knight of Dullahan 5
+5
+4
+1
+4
Balance 8, Ride 8, Intimidate 8

Spinal Blade (+1, Dragon Bane)

9th
Knight of Dullahan 6
+6/+1
+5
+2
+5
Balance 9, Ride 9, Intimidate 9
Dragonfoe (Draconomicon)
Skeletal Steed

10th
Knight of Dullahan 7
+7/+2
+5
+2
+5
Balance 10, Ride 10, Intimidate 10

Spinal Blade (Vicious), Eyes of Flame

11th
Knight of Dullahan 8
+8/+3
+6
+2
+6
Balance 11, Ride 11, Intimidate 11

Dying Body (25% fortification), Spinal Blade (+2)

12th
Knight of Dullahan 9
+9/+4
+6
+3
+6
Balance 12, Ride 12, Intimidate 12
[url=http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?403337]Improved Parry (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?403337)
Headless

13th
Knight of Dullahan 10
+10/+5
+7
+3
+7
Balance 13, Ride 13, Intimidate 13

Fiendish Blast

14th
Knight of Dullahan 11
+11/+6/+1
+7
+3
+7
Balance 14, Ride 14, Intimidate 14

Spinal Blade (+3), Dying Body (Poison and Disease)

15th
Knight of Dullahan 12
+12/+7/+2
+8
+4
+8
Balance 15, Ride 15, Intimidate 15
Feindish Breath (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?326502)
Bind Skeletal Warrior

16th
Knight of Dullahan 13
+13/+8/+3
+8
+4
+8
Balance 16, Ride 16, Intimidate 16

Dying Body (50% Fortification), Spinal Blade (Gerater Dispelling)

17th
Knight of Dullahan 14
+14/+9/+4
+9
+4
+9
Balance 17, Ride 17, Intimidate 17

Spinal Blade (+4)

18th
Knight of Dullahan 15
+15/+10/+5
+9
+5
+9
Balance 18, Ride 18, Intimidate 18
Soul Cutting Edge (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?415346)
Mark for Death, Dying Body (Death effects and Energy Drain)

19th
Knight of Dullahan 16
+16/+11/+6/+1
+10
+5
+10
Balance 19, Ride 19, Intimidate 19

Words of the Damned(Blasphemy)

20th
Knight of Dullahan 16/Warblade 1
+17/+12/+7/+2
+12
+5
+10
Balance 20, Ride 19, Intimidate 20, Concentration 3

Battle Clarity (Reflex Saves), Weapon Aptitude

Starting Stats with Racial Bonuses
Str 24 Dex 14 Con 18 Int 12 Wis 8 Cha 15

Level 7 +1 Int
Level 11 +1 Cha
Level 15 +1 Str
Level 19 +1 Str

Level 5: This level is a bit underwhelming thanks to the level adjustment, but Tametoi's toughness fix helps mitigate that. Besides that we also have three attacks, a +7 strength bonus, and an amazing AC thanks to our race/class combo. Being able to be lethal with whips is another benefit to keep enemies at bay from our low hit points. Using stone bones as our racial maneuver gives us another layer to our survivablity.

Level 10 (And Sweet Spot): NOW we start to look like a Dragon Slayer. Our spinal blade is a +1 Vicious Dragon Bane Bastard Sword or Whip as we need it and the dragonfoe feat, we deal 1d10+4d6+12 to dragons with that weapon, barring any strength boosting items. Tametoi's Toughness still comming in handy to take the extra vicious damage. Soulbound Armor lets us take full advantage of our dex bonus to AC and Zaydos's weapon focus ups our AC again. Bonecrusher is probably the best racial maneuver for this level, extra damage is extra damage.

Level 15: At this level we get some interesting class features and immunities. Fiendish Breath gives our breath weapon and our fiendish blast some additional utility, able to deal acid damage with the latter and having half the damage be irriducible from the former. Light fortification and immunity to poisons are nice little bonuses, while Zaydos's improved parry gives even more AC and a big boost once per encounter in a pinch. Wings of Flying are a pretty important magic item to have around this level if we are going to continue our dragonslaying. And Armor enchantment is easy for this class, so giving our soul-bound armor a property like Bane Blind to Dragons is feasable. Our racial maneuver this level is Overwhelming Mountain Strike, since it's pretty much our only option for that level. Still, it will keep a dragon on the ground for a round. For what it's worth, we also get a pretty cool cohort at this level, even if it is outsid the scope of this contest.

Level 20: This level was a pickle. It came down to either taking another KoD level, getting the +5 weapon enhancement and total crit immunity or go warblade and get seventh level maneuvers. I think I made the right choice I waffled a bit on whether to take Vampiric or Greater Dispelling for the spinal blade and while the Extra Healing is better to offset the vicious property, Greater Dispelling is much more useful at such high levels. Blasphemy is useful for stopping smaller good foes, but otherwise limited for use in dragonslaying. Soul Cutting Edge adds a bit more to damage per hit that is unhealable AND applies to our natural weapons. We get total immunity to death effects, and energy drain. As for chosen maneuvers, I'm a little unsure of how prerequisites work when you gain them all at the same time, so I'm going with 1 with no prerequesites, 1 with one, 1 with two and so on. With 4 manuevers, thanks to our race, we'll go with Irresistable Mountain strike for our racial (Denying actions is always good). For the warblade maneuverse we'll take Rapid COunter(lets us get a second Attack of Oppurtunity against foes who try to flee after Mountain Strike), Pearl of Black Doubt (Good against foes with many attacks, like dragons, and synergizes well wtih improved parry), Emerald Razor (Dragons have very low touch ACs), and Quicksilver Motion (To help us get our full 6 attacks in combat more reliably)

Beelzebub1111
2016-06-04, 09:39 AM
Wow, two part dragon dragonslayers. Do you think that will cost us on originality?

Temotei
2016-06-04, 03:35 PM
Wow, two part dragon dragonslayers. Do you think that will cost us on originality?

Nah. I don't like the idea of penalizing participants for doing similar concepts because they have no idea of knowing what the others are doing. Originality depends on the concept and build itself for me.

Beelzebub1111
2016-06-04, 06:35 PM
I figured, I was attempting to make a joke.

Weird how it worked out, though.

Temotei
2016-06-04, 07:31 PM
I figured, I was attempting to make a joke.

Weird how it worked out, though.

Oh. I cut out the dragon part and only read dragonslayers. I think I thought it was a typo.

Temotei
2016-06-08, 03:39 AM
I'll be done going through the entries by Friday. Sorry for the delays, everyone!

Jormengand
2016-06-10, 03:14 PM
I'll be done going through the entries by Friday. Sorry for the delays, everyone!

Have we been delayed, abandoned or forgotten?