PDA

View Full Version : What H.P. Lovecraft story is this?

Some Android
2016-02-21, 01:44 PM
I'm having trouble remembering the name of an H.P. Lovecraft story. I'll describe what I can remember. Just note there will be spoilers:

It's about this scientist I think who lives in an apartment or something like that. The protagonist is an assistant to the scientist or an associate or some relation. The scientist keeps his residence at a very low temperature. The plot twist at the end is that the scientist had to keep his place cold otherwise he expires, and that's what happens. The temperature rises in the building, and he is found dead.

I hope my description was good enough. Thanks in advance.

AmberVael
2016-02-21, 01:47 PM
"Cool Air" is the title of the short story you're thinking of.

Edit: Wikipedia link! (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cool_Air)

Some Android
2016-02-21, 01:52 PM
"Cool Air" is the title of the short story you're thinking of.

Edit: Wikipedia link! (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cool_Air)

YES! Thank you! That's been bugging me for awhile now.

P.S. I like your avatar.

hamlet
2016-02-22, 10:57 AM
It also has just about the best film adaptation ever of an HP Lovecraft story ever IMHO. Well worth seeking out.

Wookieetank
2016-02-23, 12:12 PM
It also has just about the best film adaptation ever of an HP Lovecraft story ever IMHO. Well worth seeking out.

Re-Animator is pretty fun too. Still need to see Dagon & At the Mountains of Madness. If you ever want H.P. Lovecraft in video game form, check out Bloodborne.

hamlet
2016-02-23, 01:00 PM
To the best of my knowledge, and my great frustration, no video adaptation of At The Mountains of Madness exists. Del Toro's plans have been squashed as I understand it.

Wookieetank
2016-02-23, 01:11 PM
To the best of my knowledge, and my great frustration, no video adaptation of At The Mountains of Madness exists. Del Toro's plans have been squashed as I understand it.

Rechecking my sources, seems I misread "In the Mouth of Madness", whoops. :smallredface:

hamlet
2016-02-24, 11:53 AM
Rechecking my sources, seems I misread "In the Mouth of Madness", whoops. :smallredface:

Ah, yes. That one is not quite HP Lovecraft, but more a mashup of Lovecraft and Stephen King. And still a good flick. Sam Neil and ample amounts of ham. What more could you ask for?

Brother Oni
2016-02-25, 06:22 AM
Re-Animator is pretty fun too. Still need to see Dagon & At the Mountains of Madness. If you ever want H.P. Lovecraft in video game form, check out Bloodborne.

There was a short movie of The Rats in the Walls (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1778356/) that I caught the last half that seemed to be quite good.

As for games, Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem is essentially the Cthulhu mythos in everything but name. The Koudelka franchise also has some very Lovecraftian themes and critters (Koudelka and the first Shadowhearts game mainly) and Sherlock Holmes: The Awakened has the titular character running into a Deep One cult.

Alas the main horror of the actual Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth game, is the control system.

Trixie
2016-02-25, 06:41 AM
There is also that one Russian movie. As for games, I remember Prisoner of Ice and Shadow of the Comet being nice little games, but it was so long ago I might have turned on nostalgia filter.