PDA

View Full Version : Card Smash Up Discussion

Norrefve
2016-02-21, 04:33 PM
So I was a little surprised that I haven't really seen any posts about this game in any of the other threads, since it has been out for a little while, so I figured I would start one myself!

To start, if you don't know, Smash Up: The Shufflebuilding Game of Total Awesomeness, is a card game that I best like to describe as nerdy risk, kind of. You start off by picking two different factions (there are a bunch of expansions, but the originals are Aliens, Dinosaurs [with lasers], Ninjas, Pirates, Robots, Tricksters, Wizards, and Zombies) and shuffle them together. You and your friends take turns playing minions and actions in an attempt to take over as many bases as possible until one person scores 15 victory points.

First of all, have you played Smash Up, and are you a fan of it?
If so, what is your favorite/most powerful combination to play with?

The first game I played I chose Wizards and Robots, and because I was able to play so many extra actions and minions each turn, I won the first game I ever played. I also like playing Mad Scientists with Robots, and Pirates with Giant Ants.

Let me know what you think of the game and what awesome and crazy smash ups you have run into!:smallbiggrin:

JBPuffin
2016-02-21, 04:40 PM
So I was a little surprised that I haven't really seen any posts about this game in any of the other threads, since it has been out for a little while, so I figured I would start one myself!

To start, if you don't know, Smash Up: The Shufflebuilding Game of Total Awesomeness, is a card game that I best like to describe as nerdy risk, kind of. You start off by picking two different factions (there are a bunch of expansions, but the originals are Aliens, Dinosaurs [with lasers], Ninjas, Pirates, Robots, Tricksters, Wizards, and Zombies) and shuffle them together. You and your friends take turns playing minions and actions in an attempt to take over as many bases as possible until one person scores 15 victory points.

First of all, have you played Smash Up, and are you a fan of it?
If so, what is your favorite/most powerful combination to play with?

The first game I played I chose Wizards and Robots, and because I was able to play so many extra actions and minions each turn, I won the first game I ever played. I also like playing Mad Scientists with Robots, and Pirates with Giant Ants.

Let me know what you think of the game and what awesome and crazy smash ups you have run into!:smallbiggrin:

The normal rules say to randomly select your pair...

I haven't played it as much recently, but for a while my dad and I loved it. It's pretty fun, definitely quirky but easy to play. Only have the Cthulu and basic expansions, tho.

Norrefve
2016-02-21, 06:42 PM

I haven't played it as much recently, but for a while my dad and I loved it. It's pretty fun, definitely quirky but easy to play. Only have the Cthulu and basic expansions, tho.

Actually, they say to randomly decide who chooses first, but, splitting hairs.

How is the Cthulu set? I haven't gotten it because I've read some bad reviews, but I don't know.

Wookieetank
2016-02-23, 12:30 PM
I have all but the newest expansion. The thing with the Cthulu set is that its a very odd expansion adding in Madness cards* and a couple of unique mechanics. I personally like it, and I've seen more wins using one or more Cthulu factions than without. I think people's biggest issue with the Cthulu set is its the only one I know of that lets you actively give others potential negative points.

My least favorite faction is the Geeks. They're entertaining cards to read (Will Wheaton is one of the "critters"), but they're terribly useless for the most part, and don't really mesh with the style of the rest of the cards.

*Madness Cards:
As an action you can play a madness card to draw 2 cards or put the Madness Card back into the Madness deck.
For every 2 Madness Cards you have in your hand/discard/draw deck, you have -1 points.

Norrefve
2016-03-22, 02:02 AM
I guess it's been a while since anyone's posted.

I just played again the other night, and I picked Aliens and Time Travelers. Basically I just exploited both decks to keep playing the Invader over and over. I think I got 7 Victory Points with a single Invader card alone. I still ended up losing, but it was fun getting so many points without having to break any bases.

My least favorite faction is the Geeks. They're entertaining cards to read (Will Wheaton is one of the "critters"), but they're terribly useless for the most part, and don't really mesh with the style of the rest of the cards.

I'm surprised you don't like the Geeks. I admit that a lot of their abilities are vague, (Does the Banned List let you look at the opponent's hand, or do you have to guess which cards they might have?) but the two cards that let you immediately cancel out someone else's action I think are a little over-powered, and most people I've seeing playing Geeks have won (I think they were paired with Wizards and Cyborg Apes two separate times).

I'm curious if anyone has played the (relatively) new Munchkin expansion pack. Does it have good mechanics? Are the factions fun to play? Do they pair well with the existing factions?

Let me know!

boomwolf
2016-03-22, 06:22 AM
Played zombie kittens lately. Hilarious combo.
I think kittens are from last expansion? Troll faction who has a habit of nerfing enemy minions, taking over stuff and killing your own minions.

Though given how powerful some if their actions could be combined, perhaps wizard kittens is a better call.

shadow_archmagi
2016-03-23, 06:14 AM

Actually, they say to randomly decide who chooses first, but, splitting hairs.

How is the Cthulu set? I haven't gotten it because I've read some bad reviews, but I don't know.

WAIT WHAT

Well that changes everything! My friends always do it randomly which makes the game super unfun because someone always gets a really garbage combination.

Sholos
2016-03-23, 12:41 PM
I don't like the Cthulhu set because of the madness mechanic. It fills your deck with trash and destroys any momentum that you might have unless you happen to be playing with one of the other factions from that set.

Knaight
2016-03-23, 01:48 PM
WAIT WHAT

Well that changes everything! My friends always do it randomly which makes the game super unfun because someone always gets a really garbage combination.

That does sound terrible, and there's a reason it's not written that way. You get to pick, you get to try and make synergies happen, you get to try and deny players later in the queue something you know they want if they're ahead of you, etc. That's a large part of the strategy, and a large part of the fun.

Fax Celestis
2016-03-23, 01:48 PM
I've been thinking about picking up the Pretty Pretty Smash Up expansion (mostly so my daughter will play with me), how is it?

Norrefve
2016-03-24, 06:31 PM
I've been thinking about picking up the Pretty Pretty Smash Up expansion (mostly so my daughter will play with me), how is it?

I have really enjoyed playing Pretty Pretty Smash Up. Each of the factions are unique and bring something good to the table.

Kitty Cats take over other minions and lower their power.
Mythic Horses get stronger the more of them are on a single base (because friendship is magic).
The Fairies are all about options, doing this OR that (such as, play an extra action or draw a card).
And the Princesses only have 6 minions, but they are all power 5 and have really good abilities, many of them talents.

I would highly recommend it.

And if you can rope your daughter into playing, too, that is even better! :smallwink: