PDA

View Full Version : Unsure how to handle the situation

Frywick
2016-02-21, 06:19 PM
I recently entered a D&D campagin at the request of one of my players who wanted me join his cousin's game. I accepted and played a few sessions. The character i made was a Sorcerer who's primary goal was to rescue his kidnapped brother. My character has a background in being a con artist and tricking people into giving away money and he isn't a hero by most definitions. It's because of this that a number of characters in the party don't like my character. To the point where when I say anything I am being told "Shut the **** up" or "You're worthless" while the party consists of all good characters. I'm a big stickler for "If you feel you're character would act this way then do it" so I can't fault them for feeling like our characters shouldn't get along but, there has been more than one occassion where I'm seperate from the party and I do what my character is designed to do and next session or so the party knows all about it and continues to harass my character and the DM writes it off as "Your character would've told them about it". Because of all this i feel like I'm faced with three options:
1. Do something where my character decides to change his ways through the harassment of the party (which doesn't fit his character and is a really sad way of going about it)
2. Making a new character that fits the party dynamic better and leave the current one behind despite my desire to play this character more
3. Leave the game which would solve the problem but there are some players in the game who are cool and fun to play with but there are those how ruin the fun of the game

I've thought about bringing it up to the DM but, I feel that if I do the players will dislike me rather than my character for having told the "big bad DM" to solve my problems. As for talking to the players the response I've gotten is "My character doesn't like anyone" or "My character doesn't like your characters Class/Race." If there's another way of approaching the situation that you see other than the ones I've listed here feel free to tell me. I know I'm giving off the vibe of "Woe is me and my feelings" but its a hour long drive to go to these games and I don't want to drop out but the way it is now, I'm simply not enjoying myself. Any insight into the situation would be appreciated. Thank You

JNAProductions
2016-02-21, 06:29 PM
Talk to the other players. They're good aligned, aren't they? So they should be giving you a chance. And you're on a mission to rescue your brother! That's a very good thing to do!

Don't be afraid to talk to the DM about it. But most of all, if you aren't having fun? Stop playing. Try to work it out, but if it can't be done, then there's no point in playing a game you don't enjoy.

Geddy2112
2016-02-21, 07:32 PM
First, talk to the other players. This seems a bit harsh-disapproving of your actions, getting lectured about how wrong you are, and even some harsh reprimand is par for the course, but them flat out telling you to f off the minute you open your mouth is rather extreme. If it is not fun and you don't want them to do it, then let them know. Ask if they could tone it down and be a bit less harsh, and that you can work to be less offensive to their character. They might just be hazing you since you are new to the group. But if they just want to be mean the entire session, don't put yourself through this. No game is better than bad gaming. Maybe they don't realize it, and letting them know how you feel will cause them to change. Nothing will change if you say nothing.

It also sounds like you made your character in a vacuum, which is never a good idea. A do-right hero that saves the day by the book is a fine character. A sleazy con artist who steals but does not kill is fine. A bloodthirsty cannibal that rips orphans apart and makes smoothies out of their brains is fine. However, these characters will not do well in a party together and would rarely if ever want to work together. It is best to know the dynamic of the party, and the group, before building a character. Had you known there are characters in the group that hate whatever your race is/sorcerers, I doubt you would have played one. The "my character does not like anyone" is a red flag-even if you don't like people, you have to work together in a team game. I would be suspect of any player that plays that kind of character and uses it as an excuse to be a jerk or bully. Ask them if there is any way that you could maybe, in game, make a truce. Gimli and Legolas hated each other in the beginning of LOTR, but were allies by the end. Also talk to the DM-it seems illogical that your character is forced to talk about things that just fuel the hate.

Last, understand that good does not even remotely equal nice. Plenty of good people are jerks, but good people should not just be mean for no reason, and excessive bullying is not a good thing. Now, make sure you are not likewise intentionally stepping on their toes- a cleric of fair trade is going to be pretty irate if you tell them you swindle people for a living(again, these should not be in the same party) and if they want to play heroes being a con artist knave is not something they will welcome openly. It does seem a bit much-ask for them to tone it down, or at least give you a chance. Instead of telling you that you are worthless, they could say "I don't think highly of scoundrels" or "those who earn coin by deceit are usually too weak to make an honest living" or tons of other things to express disapproval without just shutting you down. Hell, maybe they could show you the path, or you can lighten up, or have a long debate and agree to disagree, but that you can set this aside and focus on your quest(whatever that is).

Darth Ultron
2016-02-21, 09:30 PM
Well, you could also:

4. You could not play the character so over the top. So, ok, sure your character is a super con artist....but they don't need to con 24/7.

5.You could only do your cons as part of the game plot. So don't do selfish solo stuff, but do group stuff.

6.You could make an effort in character to only con evil folks

Studoku
2016-02-22, 10:23 AM
there has been more than one occassion where I'm seperate from the party and I do what my character is designed to do and next session or so the party knows all about it and continues to harass my character and the DM writes it off as "Your character would've told them about it".

Try to avoid doing this, especially when it doesn't progress the plot or the group's goals. If you're doing something solo, the rest of the group are doing nothing and waiting for you to finish. It's even worse if you expect to not even discuss it- why have the rest of the group around?

themaque
2016-02-22, 10:39 AM
It sounds like you've talked to the other "problem players" and they don't want to tone things down as THEY also "Play their character as they see them to be played". If you haven't had an honest, open, yet respectful conversation with the players, than do so. however if you have to no avail....

I don't see a problem with you running cons on the side, I see the problem being they get to use OOC knowledge against you and the GM saying "Well, you just told them" when it seems to me, No obviously you wouldn't have. But this group doesn't play like that.

So sadly, I suggest playing a new character. Keep this guy and his story in mind for a day when you have a group you can really make the best use of it.

I've had to do it before in the past. It sucks. But the whole point of this game is to have fun. If your not having fun and they can't/won't meet you half way I think it's your best option.

Segev
2016-02-22, 12:38 PM
This is something to discuss with the whole table - players and DM. Bring up your concerns. Explain that you're not having fun. There will likely be at least one or two scoffs that you're causing the problem because your character is awful/evil/whatever. Don't disregard them; investigate them. Are there specific incidents they feel your character was harmful to the party, or your character brought scorn upon himself with his actions before the party? Consider reforming your character's behavior in at least such situations.

The things your PC does on his own, though, talk to the players about not having their characters know of it. When the DM says, "Your character would have told them about it," flat-out deny it. "No! He wouldn't! He knows they don't approve and that they'll treat him like garbage for it! He would not tell them!" Discuss this with the others.

Find out, most importantly, if the other players, OOC, are displeased to have your character in the party. If so, you should build one that fits in more, or stop playing. Ask for help designing him to fit in.

If they don't have a problem with him, OOC, then talk to them about how to make this more fun for you while working with the party.

But this is very much a "sit down and talk it out with everybody" thing. And be willing to accept that this character, much as you like him, may just not work with this game. But talk it out before concluding that.

LokiRagnarok
2016-02-23, 05:07 PM
*grumble* to be honest? I am not a friend of "That's what why character would do". Imho you (general you, not only the OP) should find a reason for their character to behave cooperatively with OPs character. I second the "'my character doesn't like anybody' is a red flag" thing.

By your description, it sounds like the other PCs go out of their way to male your character miserable. But the thing is, the PCs are controlled by players. You should tell the players you are not having fun, and - this is important - ask how they feel about the situation, and how they believe this can be solved.

You are all there for having fun, and I think everybody should play some (not necessarily equal) part in it. If someone is not having fun, something needs to change.

Velaryon
2016-02-23, 05:26 PM
This is definitely something that should be addressed out-of-character with the entire group present. It's worth considering the possibility that this just may not be the right group or the right game for you to play this character. I totally understand being attached to the character even when the game itself isn't going well. If that's the case here, then why not shelve your sorcerer and try him again sometime with another group?

Basically, here's the action plan I would suggest:

1. Talk to the group, explain that you're not having fun and why, and that you'd like to be able to play this character if you can. Discuss whether there's a way to make it work.

2. If the issue can't be resolved in such a way that you can play the character without pissing off the other players and in turn getting pissed off by them, put the character aside and make another one who fits within the party better. See if that changes the mood at the table.

3. If things are still tense or not fun, drop out of the game. Make it clear that you still like the people, but that your gaming style and theirs just don't mesh. There's nothing wrong with this option, if it comes to that.

4. Keep your sorcerer in mind next time you join a group where he might fit better.