PDA

View Full Version : What's the difference between Unluck(SC) and Bewildering Mischance (CCh)?

Bohandas
2016-02-21, 09:33 PM
What's the difference between Unluck (from Spell Compendium p227) and Bewildering Mischance (from Complete Champion p116)? The only differences I've been able to find are that Bewildering Mischance is Mind-Affecting effect and requires a divine focus instead of a material component. Otherwise they both have the same effect (albeit worded slightly differently), same range, same duration, and same casting time, and yet Bewildering Mischance is 2 levels higher despite being arguably much weaker due to being a mind influencing effect that won't affect many creatures and because it only affects "each saving throw, attack roll, and skill check" as opposed to applying "whenever any die roll is made for the creature".

What am I missing?

Kelb_Panthera
2016-02-21, 09:45 PM
It's just a fluff difference. They're also on different spell lists so that means each is available to different casters. Otherwise they're just as you understand them; quite similar.

Cosi
2016-02-21, 09:46 PM
What am I missing?

You're assuming WotC had some master list they consulted when printing new spells to make sure they didn't do things like this.

This is not an accurate assumption.

Also, a creature carrying a Stone of Good Luck is immune to unluck, but apparently not bewildering mischance.

VisitingDaGulag
2016-03-09, 12:01 AM
They might not have but now the world does

http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=16927

Bohandas
2016-03-09, 12:34 AM
They might not have but now the world does

http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=16927

Is it really complete?

The last document like that I encountered wasn't, so I spent about two weeks editing in the missing data (on a related note, where would be a good place to upload the resulting pdf so I can share it here?)

Darrin
2016-03-09, 09:55 AM
I spent a lot of time trying to optimize bewildering mischance for an Iron Chef entry, and somehow I missed there was a better version hiding in the divination school.

Here's something I wasn't able to resolve to my satisfaction: what happens when I add Maximize Spell to either of these spells? Do all my attack rolls become 20's?

Flickerdart
2016-03-09, 10:34 AM
Here's something I wasn't able to resolve to my satisfaction: what happens when I add Maximize Spell to either of these spells? Do all my attack rolls become 20's?
No. The effect of the spell is not a variable. It's "roll two dice."

manyslayer
2016-03-09, 12:58 PM
Well, they are also different schools.

Also, Bewildering Mischance specifies a target of one living creature while undead, constructs, and elementals can apparently be Unlucky