PDA

View Full Version : Dominic Deegan

Jerthanis
2006-07-31, 02:08 PM
This is a really really good plot and character based fantasy webcomic that updates five days a week plus color comics on Saturdays (or is it sundays?).

http://www.dominic-deegan.com/

Some claim it's been going downhill with being too melodramatic, but I still like it, and every story arc seems to top what came before it.

Anyone else read this comic?

Bookman
2006-07-31, 03:13 PM
OO OO! I recently started reading it! Read every comic in about 3 days or so. It was REALLY GOOD. It really shifted from a light pun filled comic to a dark story line but I enjoy. Doesn't it update everyday though? And then the color comic on Sunday's...........I could be wrong.... I have been before.

DEATH FROM ABOVE!

McDeath
2006-08-01, 06:25 AM
It is a rather good comic, old chap. Although...I think I need help. Karnak is my favorite character. Or Jacob, perhaps.
-Mic

Jibar
2006-08-01, 02:20 PM
Oh no, I root for Dominic all the way. Never any better than the main character.
Or Klo Tark perhaps...

But, anyway, I love this comic and reccomend everybody reads it.

ElfLad
2006-08-01, 04:06 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOO, this never happened it never happened it NEVER HAPPENNNNNNNNNNED!

Great comic. My favorite character is Quilt. Necromantic zombie pirate bass players ftw.

Appolo
2006-08-02, 04:41 PM
definitlly my favourite behind oots

Dhavaer
2006-08-03, 05:35 AM
I do have to admit I like Karnak, in his demon form, anyway.
"Looks to me like things can't go well for Karnak, either. He has no armies and no allies."
"Looks to me like he doesn't need any."

Behold_the_Void
2006-08-03, 12:38 PM
This is one of my favorite webcomics out there, and was part of the inspiration behind my friend and I starting our own fantasy webcomic.

BelkarsDagger
2006-08-03, 04:37 PM
I like it, but I think it has a lot of trash-y stuff, like when they were spying on that guy in Sin City with the three way... ugh... Even though its not full frontal, its still trash...

Dhavaer
2006-08-03, 08:28 PM
Does anyone think that in today's comic, Melsheena is looking at Mrs Deegan with a sort of 'hello, pretty' expression?

BelkarsDagger
2006-08-03, 08:35 PM
Yeah, I found it that way too... but I like the way the elves think if thats how they celebrate funerals. ;)

"Gaaah! Hide the Diet Coke! The Orange Zergling's cousin died and hes coming to the Elvish Funeral!"

Dhavaer
2006-08-03, 08:46 PM
I wonder when he'll bring in the elves, instead of just refering to them?

ElfLad
2006-08-03, 09:44 PM
Raf Malishk or whatever his name (the guy who built Acibek and founded the Chosen) was an elf.

Flabbicus
2006-08-03, 11:03 PM
Alright, let's rephrase that When will he be introducing elves that aren't evil megalomaniacal bastards?

BelkarsDagger
2006-08-03, 11:04 PM
Alright, let's rephrase that When will he be introducing elves that aren't evil megalomaniacal bastards?

Are you sure that theyre not all like that?

Bookman
2006-08-03, 11:08 PM
Does anyone think that in today's comic, Melsheena is looking at Mrs Deegan with a sort of 'hello, pretty' expression?

HMmm for some reason I didn't today's......but you are right......maybe it's cause "orcs are hilarious when drunk"

And now come Zerg that's just a stereotype :P

BelkarsDagger
2006-08-03, 11:13 PM
Well, its his world. So far, how do we know that all elves arent evil in his setting?

slapdash
2006-08-04, 08:11 AM
What's so good about this comic? I've tried reading it a couple times, but I can't get past the art, which I think is fairly awful. Is it the dialogue, or the story? Sorry, I'm just curious about what sets this one apart from all the other (IMO) badly-drawn anime style fantasy webcomics?

Jibar
2006-08-04, 08:50 AM
Reasons I like:
This world feels...fresh. I mean, I've read lots of other fantasy style works, but this world just seems seperate somehow.
The characters are delightful. You seem to love every single one of them.
I like the art. it's simplistic, but gets the point across very well.
Sparks. That cat is reason enough.

And on a seperate note, todays "Best of" artwork of the elemecca is awesome.

Jerthanis
2006-08-04, 10:01 AM
Sorry, I'm just curious about what sets this one apart from all the other (IMO) badly-drawn anime style fantasy webcomics?

I can't seem to fault the art, as it's better than anything I can draw, and the storyline is really epic and interesting, but not so wrapped up in itself and unapproachable as some other fantasy webcomics I've tried reading. Having a physically weak character who isn't even particularly great at blowing stuff up either, but who uses his wits and his foresight to overcome superior foes is pretty neat for a main character.

But not every comic is for everyone, I find the story engrossing and interesting, and the characters colorful. If you don't see that, it's probably just not your kind of comic and that's okay.

One complaint I have about the comic though honestly is the fact that almost every character is "paired up" on screen, or at the least have clear and observable romantic feelings for others. I mean, Gregory had a crush on that white mage, then found out she was already paired with the werewolf, and suddenly a new character fell from the sky who seemed to be crafted specifically to be Gregory's love interest...

endoperez
2006-08-05, 02:00 PM
It's a good comic, with a good plot. In the beginning, it just played a few gags AND looked ugly. It got a lot better in the first storyline. I don't care about the melodramatic part that much, but I've been feeling that it's gone too epic. You know: save the girl, save a city and possibly the world, save the world, try to save the hell ( ???), etc. If you try to improve, improve, improve, at some point you fail. After that, you might be able to recover, but it's not a nice thing to do. Or you might give up, leave the end open, or sum it up. Deegan isn't that far off, yet, but if they ally up with Hell to try to save the universe in the next arc...
The only other option is to finish it all. The Giant is going that route, and I appreciate it - but I hope that he starts up something else after that!

Besides that, I've only seen power growing that fast in anime, manga and D&D.

Jibar
2006-08-06, 04:08 AM
Think about it. After the Storm of Souls arc, he gave us a glimpse at the next few story arcs.
None of them after the War in Hell seem to me to be all that epic.

BelkarsDagger
2006-08-06, 06:42 PM
The Oracle Hunter is at least an original idea, and alot of the characters seem to be Seers/Oracles, so that might just end up being a chase...

Nerd-o-rama
2006-08-09, 10:48 AM
Yeah, I'm waiting to see the chick (? It is manga art-style, after all) that makes a living hunting people who can see the future. It's also one of only two or three of the previewed arcs that definitely hasn't happened yet.

I enjoy it. I enjoyed the non-epic storylines more (anything involving Barthis seems to be good times for some reason), and hope they get off the Save the Universe kick for a bit. At least, for more than a week at a time in-continuity. I also like most of the characters, though the cast list is getting a little full.

DD also has the honor of saying the worst pun in the history of the Universe (http://www.dominic-deegan.com/view.php?date=2002-07-17).

ElfLad
2006-08-09, 02:16 PM
I think Kingdom of Loathing could challenge Deegan for some of the worst puns ever...

It's a free online game, and, for example, the character that guides you through the first few quests is called the "Toot Oriole."

NEO|Phyte
2006-08-13, 10:13 PM
Dominic Deegan OotSatars (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=arts;action=display;num=1155185097;s tart=15#24)
Once the Iron Avatarist contest is over, they're going into the Adopt an Avatar center, although they can be 'pre-claimed' if thou so wisheth.

Winged One
2006-08-14, 04:00 AM
DD also has the honor of saying the worst pun in the history of the Universe (http://www.dominic-deegan.com/view.php?date=2002-07-17).
And it also contains the entire top 10, almost all of the top 100, and a good chunck of the top 1000. :)

Jibar
2006-08-16, 08:12 AM
Thinking it over, I bet Mookie isn't really moving, he's just buying time to think up enough puns to make him the top 1000.

McDeath
2006-08-21, 05:27 AM
He's hoarding the puns to power the Pun-Cannon 4000.

Picasso007
2006-08-27, 12:37 AM
Random DD musings: I was reading through the archives recently, and noticed that Rachel Hart ("I break things with my face!") pretty much dropped off the face of the planet. We last saw her here (http://www.dominic-deegan.com/view.php?date=2004-08-27), (exactly, huh) two years ago. She didn't even drop in on the concert, which I do find kinda odd, given that 1) she's friends with the Deegans, 2) she most likely was in Barthis when it got blown to smithereens, and 3) even if she wasn't, she strikes me as the type to come to a rock'n'roll concert, overlooking the Deegan duo in the band.

So did she just get the axe, cast-wise?

ElfLad
2006-08-27, 01:05 AM
Nah, just so many characters that a lot haven't been seen in a while. Jacob hasn't been seen since the Storm of Souls, and he's a fairly important character.

Also, while on the subject of puns, this (http://legendary.comicgenesis.com/d/20060824.html) could give "Knight Vision" a run for its money.

NEO|Phyte
2006-08-28, 09:25 PM
Also, while on the subject of puns, this (http://legendary.comicgenesis.com/d/20060824.html) could give "Knight Vision" a run for its money.
Kingdom of Loathing's Toot Oriole is better. Mind you, lots of things in KoL are awesome like that, although its been a while since I've played.