PDA

View Full Version : 5E - Boons

RitchieRich
2016-02-22, 11:15 AM
Hello there,

I'm currently running a D&D 5E game, in a fantasy setting of my own (So not Faerun / Eberon or anything).

I was looking at the feat Lucky, where you get some Luck points, and I thought it was pretty cool. I decided to give my players Boons for completing certain bonus objectives or for doing something exceptionally awesome.

Since the main story has a strong Divine theme, I was thinking of making boons for each domain, which work along the same lines as the feat I mentioned earlier. This also works as if the character receives a blessing from a Deity of it's domain, after the player did something cool related to that domain.

The idea of Boons is to give players a certain advantage, for only a few times. But with a possible drawback, which makes it exciting to use.
The Boon should also be useful on both level 1 and level 20. So I try not to use anything too specific like "you heal 1d4"
I don't think Boons should stack though. So The latest Boon is the only Boon you get (they 'overwrite' eachother). And if you have 2 Trickery Points, and you receive another Boon of Trickery, you'll be 'resetted' to 3 Trickery Points, not to 5.
I've put in the unanimously option, because I don't want the Boons to become a reason for powerplay or party killing.

I've already given away 2 of such boons, which I've worked out as shown below. Because I've already given these away, these I can't really change anymore:

Boon of Trickery
This gives you 3 Trickery Points to the blessed.

Trickery Points:
The blessed must unanimously decide to spend a Trickery Point, or it doesn't work.
Whenever a d20-roll should be made, the blessed can decide if it's going to be a Trickery Roll, this must be called before the roll is made. The cost for this is 1 Trickery Point.

Trickery Rolls:
When the outcome of the Trickery Roll is even, it's an automatic success.
When the outcome of the Trickery Roll is odd, it's an automatic failure.
When the outcome of the Trickery Roll is 1, anything can happen.

Boon of Nature
This gives you 3 Nature Points.

Nature Points:
The blessed must unanimously decide to spend a Nature Point, or it doesn't work.
Whenever a healing roll is made, the blessed can decide to spend a Nature Point. The roll will then become a Nature Roll.

Nature Rolls:
When the outcome of the Nature Roll is even, it's effects double.
When the outcome of the Nature Roll is odd, it instead heals the maximum of the spells power.
When the outcome of the Nature Roll is 1, anything can happen.

As you can see, I try to follow a certain line amongst these Boons. And I've been thinking about all the other domains.
Some I've got some ideas for, some I don't.. So any feedback and/or ideas are most welcome! The ones where I filled in ideas are up to debate, because I can still easily change them completely.

What I've thought up for the other Boons:

Boon of Life
This gives you 3 Life Points.

Life Points:
The blessed must unanimously decide to spend a Life Point, or it doesn't work.
Whenever a Death Saving Throw is made, the blessed can decide to spend a Life Point. The roll will then become a Life Roll.

Life Rolls:
When the outcome of the Life Roll is even, it heals for your HD.
When the outcome of the Life Roll is odd, you become stable.
When the outcome of the Life Roll is 1, anything can happen.

Boon of Light
This gives you 3 Light Points.

Light Points:
The blessed must unanimously decide to spend a Light Point, or it doesn't work.
Whenever a perception or insight roll is made, the blessed can decide to spend a Light Point. The roll will then become a Light Roll.

Light Rolls:
When the outcome of the Light Roll is even, you see everything (As if True Seeing / Detect Thoughts).
When the outcome of the Light Roll is odd, you are blinded for 1 minute.
When the outcome of the Light Roll is 1, anything can happen.

Boon of Knowledge
This gives you 3 Knowledge Points.

Knowledge Points:
The blessed must unanimously decide to spend a Knowledge Point, or it doesn't work.
Whenever a single target damage roll is made, the blessed can decide to spend a Knowledge Point. The roll will then become a Knowledge Roll.

Knowledge Rolls:
When the outcome of the Knowledge Roll is even, you learn all facts about the subject.
When the outcome of the Knowledge Roll is odd, you learn all myths about the subject.
When the outcome of the Knowledge Roll is 1, anything can happen.

Boon of Tempest
This gives you 3 Tempest Points.

Tempest Points:
The blessed must unanimously decide to spend a Tempest Point, or it doesn't work.
Whenever a saving throw is made versus AoE damage, the blessed can decide to spend a Tempest Point. The roll will then become a Tempest Roll.

Tempest Rolls:
When the outcome of the Tempest Roll is even, it does maximum damage.
When the outcome of the Tempest Roll is odd, no damage is done.
When the outcome of the Tempest Roll is 1, anything can happen.

Boon of War
This gives you 3 War Points.

War Points:
The blessed must unanimously decide to spend a War Point, or it doesn't work.
Whenever a single target attack roll is made, the blessed can decide to spend a War Point. The roll will then become a War Roll.

War Rolls:
When the outcome of the War Roll is even, it counts as a Critical Hit.
When the outcome of the War Roll is odd, it counts as a normal Hit.
When the outcome of the War Roll is 1, anything can happen.

Boon of Death
This gives you 3 Death Points.

Death Points:
The blessed must unanimously decide to spend a Death Point, or it doesn't work.
Whenever a single target damage roll is made, the blessed can decide to spend a Death Point. The roll will then become a Death Roll.

Death Rolls:
When the outcome of the Death Roll is even, it does double damage.
When the outcome of the Death Roll is odd, it does maximum damage.
When the outcome of the Death Roll is 1, anything can happen.

Long story short; I'd love the feedback you guys have (since usually it's very constructive)!

Thanks in advance,
Rich

Edit: I thought of something for the Boon of Tempest.
Edit2: I thought of something for the Boon of Light.

PoeticDwarf
2016-02-23, 06:22 AM
Awesome. Trickery is WEAK because using on an ally or enemy is both half the time bad for you(r party)

Why points? Why not 3/day

RitchieRich
2016-02-23, 06:35 AM
Why Points you ask?
The inspiration came to me from the feat Lucky, where you receive Luck points (which in case of the feat recharge, in case of the Boons they don't).
Because sometimes the players 'earn' such a Boon during downtime, and I want them to 'benefit' from it during play.
Next to that, 3/day would suggest that the boon is never-ending (unless you make it something like 3/day within 2 weeks or something like that), and I want them to be able to spend the Boon (if you catch my drift) so they have to re-earn it.

And Trickery is sort of weak yes, maybe, I don't know.
It's basically a 50/50 chance on a succes, which sometimes is a heck of a lot better chance to win the roll. Next to that, it's any time a d20 is rolled, so it can be used on attack rolls, on saves, on skill checks anything, even on enemies saving throws.
Other than that, a 1 means: 'anything can happen', which doesn't neccesarily mean something bad will happen, it could also lead to a succes.

Edit: Typo's.

Amnoriath
2016-02-23, 10:38 AM
The problem here though is that you are using the same system and number of points for abilities that are all over the place in terms of power and usage. The Boon of Life for example not only can it save you 95% of the time 50% of the time you are almost returned to full health. Then, since it only activates at the prime time you need it this is the boon to have simply because it will hardly ever be wasted as well as having the most impact in terms of game play. A couple of the others have 50/50 shot of being an utter failure or success while others it may not see all that much difference in terms of the numbers since damage rolls are random. While this is a cool and simple way to introduce chance and general divine flavor there is no question which Gods are going to be sought after here.

RitchieRich
2016-02-23, 10:47 AM
I see what you mean Amnoriath.
The Boon of Life should be nerfed, do you have any suggestions as to get it more in line with the other Boons?

Other than that; I created these Boons as abit of extra fluff. I wasn't planning on throwing them around all the time.

Example:
Boon of Trickery was gained because the Wizard was talking with a trapped Devil. And the Wizard knew the Devils' true name.

The Devil told the Wizard, that he had the power over him, and to either:
- Release the Devil from it's chains, or
- Gain majestic powers for himself (him being the Wiz), or
- Gain a party-wide benefit

The Wizard chose the latter, and thus they all gained the Boon of Trickery.

Amnoriath
2016-02-23, 11:00 AM
I see what you mean Amnoriath.
The Boon of Life should be nerfed, do you have any suggestions as to get it more in line with the other Boons?

Other than that; I created these Boons as abit of extra fluff. I wasn't planning on throwing them around all the time.

Example:
Boon of Trickery was gained because the Wizard was talking with a trapped Devil. And the Wizard knew the Devils' true name.

The Devil told the Wizard, that he had the power over him, and to either:
- Release the Devil from it's chains, or
- Gain majestic powers for himself (him being the Wiz), or
- Gain a party-wide benefit

The Wizard chose the latter, and thus they all gained the Boon of Trickery.
1. Well the problem is though is because they are all over the place I can't pick a balancing point to make a suggestion from.
2. While I get that, but if you have a divine themed game then players are going to see which ones are better when they come up. As such if they are a non-divine based character which God they seek after is usually only a personal story but now they have optimization here in one choice so it makes there decision very clear to get.

RitchieRich
2016-02-24, 02:49 AM
Let me put it in a different perspective;

What if you would create Boons for each Domain? How would you do it, and could you give an example of such a Boon (obviously it can be totally different from what I wrote)?