PDA

View Full Version : Paladin Multiclass?

WereRabbitz
2016-02-22, 11:55 AM
So our rogue dropped out on us in our group so now were all level 4 Cleric, Sorc, Fighter, and my Paladin.

I very good Str/Con/Cha 18/17/17 stats and I was wondering if I should consider multi classing into a Bard or Fighter.

Why I considered it?
=============
Fighter - a Few levels here could get the action surge, second wind, Improved Crit and +1ac fighting style without going very deep and still get my imp divine smite at 11.

Bard - More spell casting/buffing, Extra Skills & bonuses to help replace the Rogue we lost, Provide more utility.

I'm currently level 4 Ancient Paladin with 45hit points with the 2handed fighting style & Lucky Feat. Using a Halberd for most of my fighting. My dex and int are very low (10/11) and my Wis is 13.

Any suggestions? Or just stay True to form and level 20 will be awesome?

Thanks!

lebefrei
2016-02-22, 12:59 PM
Personally as Oath of the Ancients I'd definitely stay the course until at level 7. By multiclassing now you miss extra attack, and granting saves and spell resistance to you and your allies. That is a lot to lose!

WereRabbitz
2016-02-22, 01:10 PM
Personally as Oath of the Ancients I'd definitely stay the course until at level 7. By multiclassing now you miss extra attack, and granting saves and spell resistance to you and your allies. That is a lot to lose!

Ohh yeah! I am torn between going up to 7 (resist aura) or 11 (Imp smite) before multiclassing.

I was thinking of doing the bard because my Paladin has the Entertainer Background it would mesh well also i've managed to sooth a banshee with a elven lullaby and played for the kids at each village we stopped so far. So I feel I could work it in.

Just not sure if I should or stay the course and go 20 paladin.

The only thing that bugs me is the lack of a rogue/dex class now. SO Traps/ect... could still be a downfall for us (no pun intended).

rtrnofdmax
2016-02-22, 01:21 PM
Seems to me that if you're truly worried about traps and locks, you're probably not the best candidate to pick up that slack. With DM approval, you can spend 250 days learning how to use any tool, but you still need to be able to find the traps and have sufficient dexterity to disarm them.

I'd say to stay true to your character and let your DM adjust the campaign for the loss of the rogue. Assumedly, their departure wasn't any of your faults, so it just seems mean to punish the group with obstacles they can't readily bypass. A DM character or non-combat rogue NPC could also help you.

CaptAl
2016-02-22, 01:46 PM
Well, you don't really need a rogue. That being said, a Bard multiclass could improve your skills. Especially if you go Lore Bard, netting you 4 more skills and expertise in 2 skills after just 3 levels. That's not counting the additional 3 levels of full caster goodness for extra smites plus bardic inspiration.

I'm assuming that you are the "tank" of the group. If so, a few levels of Fighter for Battlemaster helps a ton. Sorcerer also plays well with Tankadins, bringing the rather excellent shield spell for super AC and booming blade to keep your backliners from getting smashed. Plus, again, full caster spell slots for Smite novas.

You can't go wrong with an Ancients Paladin at level 20 either. The question is, do you want versatility and extra tricks for 10-15 levels or to be a God at 20? I've never played more than a session or two at level 20, so I know what I would do.

WereRabbitz
2016-02-22, 02:45 PM
Thanks guys! Going to Stay the course I think!

Thanks all!

Citan
2016-02-22, 02:55 PM
So our rogue dropped out on us in our group so now were all level 4 Cleric, Sorc, Fighter, and my Paladin.

I very good Str/Con/Cha 18/17/17 stats and I was wondering if I should consider multi classing into a Bard or Fighter.

Why I considered it?
=============
Fighter - a Few levels here could get the action surge, second wind, Improved Crit and +1ac fighting style without going very deep and still get my imp divine smite at 11.

Bard - More spell casting/buffing, Extra Skills & bonuses to help replace the Rogue we lost, Provide more utility.

I'm currently level 4 Ancient Paladin with 45hit points with the 2handed fighting style & Lucky Feat. Using a Halberd for most of my fighting. My dex and int are very low (10/11) and my Wis is 13.

Any suggestions? Or just stay True to form and level 20 will be awesome?

Thanks!
Hi :)
My view would be stay Paladin up to 7 at least, 8 if you feel you need ASI/feat (which is not mandatory imo with such stats).
If you still feel your party is "lacking" a Rogue AND nobody in your group can fill in (such as your Sorc) then dip into Lore Bard 3.
Otherwise, continue straight Paladin up to 11 and check again if you feel dipping is needed.
If yet again you feel you can manage without Bard and have a chance to go up to 20, stay pure Paladin. Capstone is really great and Improved Aura is no small feat either.

Fighter dip is always nice but far from necessary for you. Especially since it would only improve a bit your tankiness and not fill at all the "skillmonkey" part.
You should consider it only if you see that you are always in danger of dying or really lacking nova damage. Which should not happen normally.
(Also, Lore Bard's Cutting Words can do a fair bit in protecting allies as well. Just a thought ;))

lebefrei
2016-02-22, 03:24 PM
I was thinking of doing the bard because my Paladin has the Entertainer Background it would mesh well also i've managed to sooth a banshee with a elven lullaby and played for the kids at each village we stopped so far. So I feel I could work it in.

Well, backgrounds don't have to match up to classes, it's just what you did before adventuring. Beyond that, your oath specifies that you should "delight in song and laughter, in beauty and art" and "kindle the light of hope in the world, beating back despair" so by spreading hopeful music I'd say you're doing just fine within your current class.