PDA

View Full Version : OOTS #1025 - The Discussion Thread

Pages : [1] 2

The Giant
2016-02-22, 01:32 PM
New comic is up.

Yana
2016-02-22, 01:34 PM
For Wrecan. The world is a lesser place without him.

Aasimar
2016-02-22, 01:34 PM
Awesome, weapon of legacy huh?

Cool

Traab
2016-02-22, 01:35 PM
Sweet, While his sword was already pretty badass, now it has the chance to become supremely badass! Heh, I wonder if he will unlock an ability to purify durkula or some such thing. Or otherwise exorcise the vampiric spirit from his body.

Ruslan
2016-02-22, 01:37 PM
"I like counting things". A nice tribute. Well played.

hobit
2016-02-22, 01:38 PM

What's that a reference to?

Arkku
2016-02-22, 01:39 PM
A brilliant tribute to the real Wrecan indeed.

headhoncho
Just had to login and post to say, this was a beautiful tribute. Thank you.

Ruslan

Wrecan (the person for whom the character is named) started the "Number of Character Appearances" thread.

The Pilgrim
That was touching.

Farewell, Wrecan.

Emperordaniel
*raises glass*

To Wrecan. :smallsmile:

Gwynfrid
2016-02-22, 01:40 PM
That is a great send-off and tribute. Thanks, Giant.

See the news page, May 18, 2015. (http://www.giantitp.com/index.html)

fishboy
2016-02-22, 01:40 PM
It took me a sec to get it, but what a nice tribute :smallsmile:

hroţila
2016-02-22, 01:41 PM
I wasn't even here yet when Wrecan was around, but damn. That was beautifully done.

Porthos
2016-02-22, 01:41 PM
Utterly fantastic. :smallcool:

I laughed out loud for 15 seconds at the "I like to count things" line.

As Jon Stewart and Steven Colbert would say: Bra-vo! Well Done! :smallsmile:

CoffeeIncluded
2016-02-22, 01:42 PM
Oh wow...I see what you did there with that dialogue. All of it, not just the tallies. That was such a touching tribute. Thank you.

Rinazina

I login just to say the same :)
is it the perfect memorial!

well, now they have two days of airship to reach the Gate, and unknown time to reach the ...

ah, wait, I'm forgetting V and B...

well, good job Rich, I read your Kickstarted update. I'm in a quite overbusy period too, all the best!

The gF
Come on, Rich. My poor feels. You hit them so hard, and now they are the most hit feels. D:

dancrilis
That was nice - didn't know the guy, but that was nice.

Markozeta
2016-02-22, 01:43 PM
This is beautiful.

Grey_Wolf_c
Awwwwww

(This space left intentionally blank)

Grey Wolf

The Pilgrim
(stuff)

Probably a good time to edit out your comment before you become universally loathed. Just suggesting.

Shmuel
2016-02-22, 01:44 PM
*sniff*

That was beautiful. Nicely done, Giant.

Quild
2016-02-22, 01:48 PM
Nice lines.
So I guess we're not going to see Wrecan anymore. Nor Veldrina then.

Wonton
2016-02-22, 01:49 PM
Interesting. Crazy to think that the Starmetal sword was forged, what, 800 strips ago? And only now are we starting to find out more of its powers? I mean, I know they're technically Roy's powers, not the sword's, but I recall the original blacksmith saying something "it might occasionally manifest green energy that is harmful to your enemies", so the first hints of its power were shown even back then.

zql
2016-02-22, 01:49 PM
Excelent strip. I felt touched.
And I smiled at the 7th panel reference.

Thanks, Rich.

DaOldeWolf
2016-02-22, 01:50 PM
Its really nice that Wrecan gives him a last parting gift.

And its finally revealed that Roy´s weapon is special. Lets hope this assist him in his future fight against Xykon.

One Skunk Todd
2016-02-22, 01:51 PM
For those who don't get it, check the News and read the 05/18/2015 entry. Or to quote:

I also fulfilled another promise with today's strip, if a less joyous one. Mark Monack, who went by the screen name "Wrecan," was a pillar of the message board community for many years. He was, among his other roles, the founder of one of the forum's odder traditions: counting the number of strips each character appears in, a project that continues many years after he began it. When he passed in 2013, I asked his wife Jodie if there was anything I could do to help out. She told me he would have loved nothing more than to have a walk-on character named Wrecan in OOTS. Now, there is one.

Porthos
2016-02-22, 01:53 PM
Also nice to see that the sword is explicitly referred to as a Weapon of Legacy.

VERY nice that the splatbook even looks like the cover (http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRAQ7_HJtsN1EEqe3LujRw5HTbgG0Ker QxbtS7JVM_L-ZI0lB_O) :smalltongue:

And so much for the idea that Roy would have any trouble whatsoever getting through the warded archway. Wasn't even mentioned as a potential problem. :smallwink:

Lúthien Tinúvie
2016-02-22, 01:54 PM
I shed a manly tear today ...

Kantaki
2016-02-22, 01:57 PM
Wait, to use/improve his sword Roy has to act like a wizard?:smallbiggrin: I'm sure Eugene would love to hear about this.:smallamused: And to rub it in once he sees his son again. Oh, well Roy will have to bite into the sour apple, if only to prevent the end of the world.

JSSheridan
2016-02-22, 02:00 PM
Thanks Giant!

grandpheonix
2016-02-22, 02:02 PM
Anyone else getting misty eyed?

Yxylu
2016-02-22, 02:03 PM
With this comic update, Wrecan has had 93 appearances in 92 panels (#987, panel 13 had him twice), and he moves into 39th place of total words spoken, with 1,202.

I like counting things, too.

tehmoos3
2016-02-22, 02:04 PM
Registered just to say that I appreciated the tribute. Beautifully done.

OmnivorousOgre
That last panel really strikes a chord somewhere deep inside me. I don't really know how to explain it. And it only got more intense when I remembered the story behind Wrecan's introduction.

Porthos
Wait, to use/improve his sword Roy has to act like a wizard?:smallbiggrin: I'm sure Eugene would love to hear about this.:smallamused: And to rub it in once he sees his son again. Oh, well Roy will have to bite into the sour apple, if only to prevent the end of the world.

Yes, but he did it as a fighter, in the fighter way. So this is totally different. :smallamused:

IDrankWHAT
2016-02-22, 02:05 PM

As I haven't been with this forum for a long time (I didn't have internet for YEARS) and would occasionally check the back comics and the conversations in the forum. I remember Wrecan's IRL counterpart being one of the many names I would see on the forums. I can honestly say, I cried when I read this comic because it's a touching tribute.

And by cried I mean a manly cry. Tears but no noise. :smallwink:

To Wrecan!

Tom Lehmann
2016-02-22, 02:05 PM
Very, very nice. It left me both sad and with a smile. Thanks, Rich!

Killer Angel
2016-02-22, 02:08 PM
first: weapon of legacy. Cool!

second: that was a really hearthwarming salute. tnx Giant, goodbye Wrecan. Now i go cry just a little...

Havelocke
2016-02-22, 02:11 PM
Thank you Giant for recognizing and paying tribute to Wrecan this way. His gift will be remembered. Time to see just how epic (level) Roy can become with his new found knowledge!

foobar1969
2016-02-22, 02:11 PM
References in this strip:

Wrecan: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/member.php?11370-Wrecan
Take This: https://www.google.com/search?q=it's+dangerous+to+go+alone
Named After It: http://oots.wikia.com/wiki/Greenhilt_Sword
Weapons of Legacy: https://www.google.com/search?q=3.5+weapons+of+legacy
Counting Things: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?276152-Number-of-Character-Appearances-V
Waving Goodbye: https://www.google.com/search?q=right+in+the+feels

Shale
2016-02-22, 02:12 PM
That was a lovely send-off for Wrecan. I laughed out loud at "I like counting things." and then the farewell got me teared up in the best way. Fantastic strip (and with a power-up for Roy to boot).

Goodbye, Wrecan. We miss you, Mark.

Grey Pilgrim
2016-02-22, 02:12 PM
Awwwwww

I must second this opinion!

Shining Wrath
2016-02-22, 02:15 PM
You should not make me cry at work, Mr. Burlew. Someone might notice. Wrecan liked counting things ...

A weapon of legacy, indeed. It's not a Deus ex Machina if a character is studying how to make his sword do things it has never done before! And, of course, Durkon has no knowledge of these capabilities, and so Durkula can't mine his memory to learn what the sword can do.

Carl
2016-02-22, 02:15 PM

Aye, I'm not sure if i was even around here back then when the original was on the forums, i certainly don't have any real memory of interacting with him, but i realised instantly what the subtext was and that just set ye old waterworks going.

DrGonzo
2016-02-22, 02:17 PM
That's beautiful. Very moving.

primordial
2016-02-22, 02:18 PM
Rich, I just had to log in to thank you for this tribute to Wrecan. Nearly everything I love about OOTS in one strip - rpgnurding, fourth-wall-humor, narrative revelation, characters running like crazy...and unforseen pathos!

Well done Rich. I think Mark would have been touched.

Spartakus
2016-02-22, 02:18 PM
Wow. That was...

just beautiful.

*Raisin a glass to Wrecan

sam79
2016-02-22, 02:20 PM
I've come back to the forums for the first time in ages to express my appreciation of this strip.

A real nice tribute to a sorely missed Playgrounder. Well done, Mr. Burlew.

Alsadius
2016-02-22, 02:21 PM
I wonder if it'll follow the 3.5 Weapons of Legacy rules, or Rich's homebrew rules (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=9622876&postcount=5).

(And from what I know of Wrecan this seems like a great tribute, but I've never been much of a forum guy, so I can't say I know much about him beyond the news post when he was introduced).

wesleytj
2016-02-22, 02:22 PM
That, sir, was one hell of a sendoff.

ti'esar
2016-02-22, 02:22 PM
I'm having trouble seeing the thread with this dust in my eye.

Shining Wrath
2016-02-22, 02:24 PM

I joined just before he left, but I knew the story. And it's true; you don't know the number of your days, nor anyone's.

*raises glass*

*Raises glass*

Nice lines.
So I guess we're not going to see Wrecan anymore. Nor Veldrina then.

They are being left behind - for now. There's always flashbacks, but who knows what the final battle may look like? Battle of Five Armies, with allies and enemies arriving from all directions? Battle with the demons at the end of Phantom Toolbooth, where Canbe arrives from Conclusions to show that he is also as brave as can be, along with everyone else they'd met along the way? Lots of precedents for climactic battles featuring people you thought you'd never see again.

Mono Vertigo
2016-02-22, 02:24 PM
... and I just noticed the strip's title, too.

Chrismith
2016-02-22, 02:25 PM
So long, Wrecan.

King of Nowhere
2016-02-22, 02:25 PM
well, "stop the bad guy from committing election fraud" is pretty low on inspirational speeches, but then again, considering how this comic has been going...

And nice conversation with wrecan. it's beautiful how it conveys two meanings at once, working both for those who know the backstory, and for those who don't.

Sky_Schemer
2016-02-22, 02:26 PM
A touching tribute, and hilarious at the same time. I think I had people look at me funny while I laughed out loud in the office.

Well played, sir!

Neoriceisgood
2016-02-22, 02:27 PM
That's a real nice sendof.

Ted The Bug
2016-02-22, 02:29 PM
This is possibly the most touching strip in the entire series so far for me. Definitely top 5. Fantastic.

Vinyadan
2016-02-22, 02:30 PM
That's a hell of a goodbye.

oddtail
2016-02-22, 02:32 PM
That was very touching and well-written. Thank you.

Werewindlefr
2016-02-22, 02:32 PM
I think it's the first time I've ever cried because of a webcomics...

8BitNinja
2016-02-22, 02:35 PM
Like if you cry every tiem

I cry every tiem, do you cry every tiem?

Remedy
2016-02-22, 02:36 PM
Temporarily ignoring the annoying little bit of logic saying that the cameo wouldn't even be here if this were the case, I wish he could've been alive to seen this. I'm sure he'd have been really happy to have had this little send-off.

... I'm gonna hop on the crying bandwagon now.

orrion
2016-02-22, 02:37 PM

Shouldn't Roy be the one rubbing it in?

"Look, I'm a Fighter and I can do Wizard stuff better than you can! Plus, I'm doing it with the sword you shunned during both during your life and in the afterlife! Sucker."

Essex
2016-02-22, 02:38 PM
A great strip, but Weapons of Legacy always make me cringe. You have to expend gold and valuable feat slots to unlock the powers of a weapon that'll parasitically induce penalties upon your attacks, skill checks, and/or saving throws. :smalleek: Why would you ever consider doing that?

Arin
2016-02-22, 02:39 PM
Oh god, the feels. I choked back tears when he said "I like counting things" in that soft voice.

This was beautiful. 1000% beautiful.

Thanks, Rich. Thank you SO much.

Anarion
2016-02-22, 02:40 PM
That's a really well-done memorial. A person couldn't ask for better.

Oko and Qailee
2016-02-22, 02:41 PM
Everything from Wrecan's tallying to his comments at the end were beautiful.

Honestly, probably my favorite page of OOTS ever.

AutomatedTeller
that was a nice in-comic speech. And then I re-read it in the wider context... as many have said, beautifully done, Rich.

Sylthia

My favorite line for a while.

rgrekejin
2016-02-22, 02:42 PM
Aww... that was touching. Good on you, Giant.

Vinsfeld
2016-02-22, 02:42 PM
Beautiful tribute to Wrecan.

littlebum2002
2016-02-22, 02:43 PM
I like counting things

That was, by far, the best Wrecan reference made, ever. Thanks Rich!!

(Although I'm still disappointed to find out Roy doesn't become the Bearer of the Ancestral Weapon)

Soulgazer
2016-02-22, 02:45 PM
Hmm, are the penalties gonna get houseruled away? WoL makes a decent ladder out of the T5 pit, but only if you can deal with the rather heavy penalties. Roy didn't seem weaker when he went green...

Kuroshima
2016-02-22, 02:46 PM
Well, I think that if it wasn't because it's an obvious homage to Wrecan the forum poster, I would say that it's not really him. Notice how he doesn't leave the godsmoot area! I would probably think it's the priest of Loki (after all, Loki is known for polymorphing and appearing as someone else to further his plans)

goodyarn
2016-02-22, 02:46 PM
What a wonderful ending to Wrecan's cameo.

Thank you very much, Giant.

Max™
2016-02-22, 02:50 PM
So I guess that explains the sword healing and whatnot.

Icewraith
2016-02-22, 02:51 PM
I liked everything about this... except the inclusion of Weapons of Legacy, a book that suggested characters take enormous mechanical penalties in order to wield a somewhat magical weapon whose benefits almost never outweighed the cost. I groaned inwardly when I read that line, remembering how much promise the concept of the book held and how much disappointment it delivered.

Especially for fighters. IIRC there was one sword supposedly tailor made for Fighters that sacrificed base attack progression but ended up at +5, thereby mostly negating the benefit of having the weapon in the first place.

I am reasonably certain those rules have been either heavily tweaked or ignored completely (or the spirit of the rules followed without gimping the character by adhering to the mechanics in the book). I am hopeful that we will get a look at the design philosophy behind those changes (the link upthread is to a prestige class). I suspect we won't get the explicit full rules and fluff text of Roy's sword in the near future because plot, similar to Elan's formulation of the Schrodinger's Wand principle. However I am also willing to admit I could be totally off-base on any of those.

Edit: Spelling, argh.

SmaugTheYounger
At first I was like "Oh man, another goodby. I want to see a snarkay remark by Belkar alread.." But I also thought the goodby to Veldrina feelt a little incomplete without mentioning Wrecan. So all in all, this feels very allright, and very meta in a good way, too.

Allthough it clears a lot of questions on Roy's healing, I am also very sure that these additional powers will have some effect on some futere fights, but not on on the storys final conclusion.

So, well done.

And now please please please with sugar and a kiss on top of it, a snarky Belkar banter, otherwise I will also cry.

orrion
A great strip, but Weapons of Legacy always make me cringe. You have to expend gold and valuable feat slots to unlock the powers of a weapon that'll parasitically induce penalties upon your attacks, skill checks, and/or saving throws. :smalleek: Why would you ever consider doing that?

Eh. Nothing says the penalties will be that severe in the comic. Or that we'll ever be told there are penalties at all.

Soulgazer
2016-02-22, 02:53 PM
Well, I think that if it wasn't because it's an obvious homage to Wrecan the forum poster, I would say that it's not really him. Notice how he doesn't leave the godsmoot area! I would probably think it's the priest of Loki (after all, Loki is known for polymorphing and appearing as someone else to further his plans)

Wrecan can't leave. He's a bodyguard, and so part of the official process. Roy can leave because he's lost his role as bodyguard.

bottled
2016-02-22, 02:56 PM
Wow what a tribute and what a wonderful way to treat your fans.

Long Live Wrecan. Now I would love to buy a T shirt with him on it with some money going to his family or something.

Bottled

Shining Wrath
2016-02-22, 02:57 PM
I hereby demonstrate my affection for hopeless causes and respect for ol' King Canute by trying to shut down a train of speculation on the forums:

Folks, Roy's legacy weapon is NOT going to work like the 3.5 legacy weapon (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?232657-Weapons-of-Legacy). Concerning which the considered opinion of forumites was "Great is the suckitude thereof".

Roy is not getting enough feats (1 or 2) before the final confrontation with Xykon to power up a 3.5 bog-standard WoL. Therefore, this one won't be like those.

He's going to simply learn to do things that are similar in power to "Heal all your damage and restore your drained levels", and reveal that he can do them at plot appropriate moments. Whether or not this makes for a better story I leave to more learned critics of matters literary than I.

Keltest
*Joins the toast*

rest well, Wrecan.

Ruck

"See, Dad, if you hadn't thought fighting was stupid, you could be a strong fighter and have magic powers. Like me! HA!"

That was a really nice tribute. Obviously I never knew him, having only joined the forum a few months ago, but "I wish there had been more time" still got to me.

Also, when I saw the title of the strip I thought it would be referring to Belkar somehow. Mark of Justice, Mark of Distinction, something something.

pendell
2016-02-22, 02:58 PM
Well, I have nothing but good to say about this strip.

First, we find out why exactly Roy was healed by his sword, as well as additional potentially unlockable powers in the future.

Why does this feel like the moment in a videogame when you get the widget and then must go on multiple fetch quests to power it up to full strength? :smallamused:

At any rate, "Weapon of Legacy" is evidently a 3.5 thing that isn't in the SRD.

Second, that was a very, very nice send off for Wrecan *wipes tear*.

Well done, sir.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

eilandesq
2016-02-22, 02:59 PM
The Weapon of Legacy explanation is a thoroughly satisfactory one, and even helps close the "why did none of this happen for Roy before?" potential plot holes, as Roy has certainly had multiple moments since his return from death that would justify saying "he's poured his soul into that weapon."

Also, there's precedent for the gods maybe slipping a little minor evasion of the rules to benefit a PC, like--in this case--giving Roy credit for the dragon treasure blown up at the inn against what it would cost to massively upgrade the weapon:

THOR: Boo-yah! Now THAT'S a smiting!

Planetar: [clears throat, gets GLARE from Thor] Shutting up, sir. [mutters under breath] At least this one happened in jurisdiction, so we won't get a nastygram from another pantheon. . .

Ruck
2016-02-22, 03:00 PM
Why does this feel like the moment in a videogame when you get the widget and then must go on multiple fetch quests to power it up to full strength? :smallamused:
Nah, I think it's more that the power is already in the widget and the wielder must learn to harness it.

Garion
2016-02-22, 03:01 PM
Mr Giant, you rock.

Stealth
2016-02-22, 03:04 PM
That was beautifully touching.

I also like how Wrecan's last comment is the sort of thing that can only make sense with copious amounts of context.

Cirin
2016-02-22, 03:05 PM
Eh. Nothing says the penalties will be that severe in the comic. Or that we'll ever be told there are penalties at all.

Exactly.

I really, REALLY doubt that Rich will have Roy nerf himself to use his family sword.

It'll probably be just as home-brewed a Weapon of Legacy as Elan's Dashing Swordsman class or V's Soul Splice, using the concept of and terminology of a Weapon of Legacy, but exist as a plot-appropriate power-up to let Roy have the kind of devastating firepower needed to challenge Durkula. . .and Xykon, in time for the climactic showdown.

Joronos
2016-02-22, 03:17 PM
I have a strong feeling that Roy will keep upgrading the sword, only for it to be shattered in the inevitable encounter with Xykon :smallsmile:

k_bukie
2016-02-22, 03:18 PM
Wow and the strip was posted on the anniversary of his passing. What a tribute and what a wonderful way to treat your fans.

Long Live Wrecan. Now I would love to buy a T shirt with him on it with some money going to his family or something.

Bottled

Wrecan actually passed in April of 2013, so this wasn't the anniversary. I believe it was on the 21st but I can't find 100% confirmation of the fact, which isn't especially important I suppose.

Ivrytwr
2016-02-22, 03:18 PM
A great tribute for Wrecan.
Election Fraud! Fight the good fight Roy.
Thanks Giant, love all the effort you pour in to this.

Dellis
2016-02-22, 03:19 PM
My... feelings.

I have chills.

I didn't even know him, but... thanks for this.

Jaxzan Proditor
2016-02-22, 03:24 PM
Awww, that was a beautiful fair well.

EccentricFellow
2016-02-22, 03:25 PM
That was very touching. Thanks.

SwordPsion
2016-02-22, 03:25 PM
"Weapon of Legacy" reminds me of "Bearer of the Ancestral Weapon"

Malfarian
2016-02-22, 03:26 PM
I teared up a little.

Thank you Giant.

Mal

Lord Of Mantas
2016-02-22, 03:27 PM
As far as sendoffs to fans go, this is probably the most touching I've seen. I visited the Appearance Count threads a few times when I was still lurking these forums (eons ago, at this point), and I confess I'd forgotten about Wrecan.

Nice to see someone hasn't. :smallsmile:

NRSASD
2016-02-22, 03:29 PM
The last panel is what gets me... Dang you for doing such a beautiful job and making the "most dour guy at work" tear up

Fitzclowningham
2016-02-22, 03:31 PM
Pitch-perfect, Giant.

Sander1755
2016-02-22, 03:32 PM
Your endeavor continues to get better and better. This is Magnum Opus level story telling.

hagnat
2016-02-22, 03:35 PM
this is a really nice tribute to Wrecan :)

a small footnote on the bottom right corner of the last panel saying 'RIP Wrecan' would've made it perfect

Rift_Wolf
2016-02-22, 03:36 PM
Confirmed crit to the feels :( and I didn't even know the guy.

A very poignant statement about life and time.

YossarianLives
2016-02-22, 03:42 PM
I guess The Giant has been reading his Tome of Battle.

Nilan8888
2016-02-22, 03:42 PM
Reading this, I was wondering if this could be a running joke for the next couple strips of each comic opening up with someone calling for Roy's attention and winds up giving him something:

Character #1: "Roy! Fighter!"
Roy: "*Sigh* Yes? What now?"
Character #1: "I thought this manual on the gods might help you in the near future."
Roy: "Ok, thanks. That might be helpful. Ok, gotta run."
Character #2: "Roy! Fighter!"
Roy: "Cripes, I'm never going to get OUT of here. What is it? I'm late already."
Character #2: "I though you might appreciate that your airship outside is now double-parked and that comes with a requsite fee explained here in our temple traffic legislation documentation."
Roy: "What? How much do I owe?"
Character #2: "20,000gp plus tax. More or less."
Roy: "Can I fight this?"
Character #2: "Do you have time to make a court appearance tomorrow?"
Roy: "Not exactly."
Character #2: :Then no. But if you were, this documentation would be able to help navigate the system."
Roy: "Yeah, thanks. That was singularly unhelpful. I have to run now."
Character #3: "Roy! Fighter!"
Roy: "WHAT? WHAT DO YOU PEOPLE WANT FROM ME NOW????"
Character #3: "There's a half-dead halfling down there calling for you. Just thought you'd like to know. Geez, rude or what?"

J-H
2016-02-22, 03:50 PM
Wow. Just wow.

Bolton
2016-02-22, 04:01 PM
As someone who normally cringes at most in-memoriam notices and suchlike, due to how over the top they usually are, I just have to say that this one is great. It is always tricky to get the right amount of dignity without overdoing it, but here it's executed perfectly. Most likely the best strip I've seen in this comic so far, it's just beautiful. Kudos!

FujinAkari
2016-02-22, 04:04 PM
Thank you, Rich

Ninja Dragon
2016-02-22, 04:05 PM
This is probably one of the saddest strips in the comic''s history.

Well done, Giant.

RIP Wrecan.

Gift Jeraff
2016-02-22, 04:06 PM
Thank you for the Wrecan tribute, Rick. :smallsmile:

Doug Lampert
2016-02-22, 04:06 PM
I hereby demonstrate my affection for hopeless causes and respect for ol' King Canute by trying to shut down a train of speculation on the forums:

Folks, Roy's legacy weapon is NOT going to work like the 3.5 legacy weapon (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?232657-Weapons-of-Legacy). Concerning which the considered opinion of forumites was "Great is the suckitude thereof".

Roy is not getting enough feats (1 or 2) before the final confrontation with Xykon to power up a 3.5 bog-standard WoL. Therefore, this one won't be like those.

He's going to simply learn to do things that are similar in power to "Heal all your damage and restore your drained levels", and reveal that he can do them at plot appropriate moments. Whether or not this makes for a better story I leave to more learned critics of matters literary than I.

You beat me to it. Yeah, this isn't going to work by the rules of a splat book most readers have never seen, and that virtually all the forum readers who are familiar with it consider grossly under-powered.

Edited to add: I forgot the pointless digression! How could I forget to have a hopeless digression. Canute didn't expect to stop the tide, in the story he orders the tide not to come in, so as to demonstrate to various flatterers that his power has limits. To be emulating Canute you would have to have posted specifically to show everyone that you have no ability to stop pointless speculation in the discussion thread rather than have posted as a genuine effort to prevent such speculation.

"Weapon of Legacy" reminds me of "Bearer of the Ancestral Weapon"

Bearer of the Ancestral Weapon requires you be a caster for entry. Roy is a single classed fighter, it's part of his "thing", he won't be taking any prestige class, much less one that requires you be able to cast Greater Magic Weapon to get in.

Rogar Demonblud
2016-02-22, 04:10 PM

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the corner crying.

Scifne
2016-02-22, 04:10 PM
Thank you, Giant.

War-Wren
2016-02-22, 04:11 PM
I... I can't even... nope... *sniff* I've taken a critical hit, right to the feels! A great tribute, and such a wonderful send off for Wrecan.
Giant... as Belkar said in #445; "That was beautiful."

Thank you! :smallsmile:

Syncrogti
2016-02-22, 04:13 PM
Nicely done, Mr. Giant. A touching tribute, handled with class.

Estelindis
2016-02-22, 04:14 PM
Beautiful tribute. Genuinely touching. Shed a few happy tears.

commander panda
2016-02-22, 04:16 PM
"i wish there had been more time. to get to know you better." knowing wrecen is named after a dead playgrounder makes this so heartbreaking. like a personal goodbye from rich.

anyone know if counting everything was somthing the real wrecen did?

Ruslan
2016-02-22, 04:17 PM
"i wish there had been more time. to get to know you better." knowing wrecen is named after a dead playgrounder makes this so heartbreaking. like its a personal goodbye from rich.

anyone know if counting everything was somthing the real wrecen did?
Yes. Yes it was. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?276152-Number-of-Character-Appearances-V&p=14902964#post14902964)

factotum
2016-02-22, 04:25 PM
Beautifully, beautifully done, Giant. RIP Wrecan. :smallfrown:

Aerysil
2016-02-22, 04:27 PM
Please don't let Wrecan sum up my life's purpose in any way.

Edit: Oh, he's based on a real person? I was just referring to his overtly silly summation in the second to last panel.

Shining Wrath
2016-02-22, 04:30 PM
... SNIP ...

Edited to add: I forgot the pointless digression! How could I forget to have a hopeless digression. Canute didn't expect to stop the tide, in the story he orders the tide not to come in, so as to demonstrate to various flatterers that his power has limits. To be emulating Canute you would have to have posted specifically to show everyone that you have no ability to stop pointless speculation in the discussion thread rather than have posted as a genuine effort to prevent such speculation.

... SNIP ...

Respect for ol' King Canute is because when his retainers started flattering him about his great power, he had carry his throne down to the shore where he demonstrated his inability to stop the incoming tide. I too have no illusions about my ability to stem the incoming tide of rules lawyering, but feel it is appropriate to try.

137beth
2016-02-22, 04:31 PM
Whelp, I was correct in my prediction that Roy has a Weapon of Legacy.
Goodbye, Wrecan:smallfrown:

Cirin
2016-02-22, 04:46 PM
Since pretty much everyone everyone admits that Weapons of Legacy was way underpowered, could it the Greenhilt sword be titled a "Weapon of Legacy" but use a different mechanic?

The Ancestral Relic feat from Book of Exalted Deeds would do basically the same concept, but only take one feat, and certainly would seem to be more powerful (and still fit with the whole "perform rituals and make sacrifices to make your ancestral sword stronger" concept).

Rift_Wolf
2016-02-22, 04:54 PM
Interesting. Crazy to think that the Starmetal sword was forged, what, 800 strips ago? And only now are we starting to find out more of its powers? I mean, I know they're technically Roy's powers, not the sword's, but I recall the original blacksmith saying something "it might occasionally manifest green energy that is harmful to your enemies", so the first hints of its power were shown even back then.

This would've been the first time Roy's used the sword in earnest since his Resurrection. He might be tapping into the celestial version of the sword that Horace wields.

Orful Biggun
2016-02-22, 05:00 PM
Joined far too late to know Wrecan, but I was around when his character was introduced in OotS.

Good on you, Giant, for this wonderful, touching, and poignant tribute. His character's farewell to all was special and surprisingly moving even for those of us, like myself, who didn't know him. I truly appreciate what you emphasized in your strip: given the fleeting nature of our lives we never know what tomorrow will bring, if "tomorrow" will involve us personally, or even if it will march on without us.

RIP, Mark.

Gotta clean up the dust in this room, I keep getting it in my eyes ...

WickerNipple
2016-02-22, 05:04 PM
That was very sweet of you, giant.

Sir_Leorik
2016-02-22, 05:06 PM
This comic was a beautiful tribute. Well done!

Yuki Akuma
2016-02-22, 05:07 PM
That subtext in panel 9, man.

mlund
2016-02-22, 05:16 PM
Well done, Rich - very well done indeed.

Dash_Branaghan
2016-02-22, 05:18 PM
Beautifully done sir - I cannot imagine a more fitting tribute to someone who I called a friend for many years (and I love the inside jokes).

I doff my cap to you.

Albion
2016-02-22, 05:20 PM
From #1025 I somehow get a feeling related in a way to the last strip of Calvin and Hobbes. Seize the day and stuff...

Tobimaro
2016-02-22, 05:35 PM
Loved the send off for Wrecan, Giant! Well done.

ArnoudX
2016-02-22, 05:37 PM
Even for me (as a lurker), this is very touching. Bravo Giant.

Iferus
2016-02-22, 05:40 PM
Bye, Wrecan.

Tundar
2016-02-22, 05:44 PM
Wrecan would have loved this. Very well done, Giant.

And shiver me timbers; a legacy sword. Sounds rather badass to me :smallbiggrin:

FolcoTook
2016-02-22, 05:45 PM
Wow... knowing the "meta" underlying that comic made it very bittersweet to read. Well done.

PallentisLunam
2016-02-22, 05:46 PM
*Single tear

Beautiful.

HuntedWalrus
2016-02-22, 05:47 PM
*sniffle*

[Hugs wife.]

DiamondHooHaMan
2016-02-22, 05:48 PM
That... that was sweet in every sense of the word. full marks Giant.

A_S
2016-02-22, 05:53 PM
*sniffle* white text

Spoomeister
2016-02-22, 05:58 PM
Taking a tribute like that, and weaving it near-seamlessly into the existing story, in a way that is all plausible and resonates with Roy and Wrecan's characters, while drawing from real life for the homage, right down to the comic title...

...this is among some of your best writing, Rich. Very, very impressive.

Lvl 2 Expert
2016-02-22, 06:06 PM
I think Roy's sword just jumped the shark.

That's probably one of those special abilities these legacy weapons can develop.

Alphastream
2016-02-22, 06:11 PM
That was excellent. He was such an amazing contributor in so many ways. It has been great to see him so honored and remembered.

We can all honor Wrecan and continue his legacy by being positive and kind on forums, helping to build community, and promoting the games we love.

Crusher
2016-02-22, 06:15 PM
:*)

Looks like I have to post more than that, but this is enough.

Icewraith
2016-02-22, 06:16 PM

If the Giant has put any thought into the general principles of weapons of legacy and a tweak or fix that won't spoil upcoming comics I'd love to see that sort of thing, is all I'm saying. I'll be absolutely flabbergasted if he just pulled something straight out of the book, unless I'm forgetting something amazing from that pile of flavorful trap options. Or, 3.5 is so old he's at the point of just handwaving everything, but I doubt it considering the comic was founded on rules jokes and he made fun of UMD weirdness just a few comics ago.

However, I admit that satisfying my curiosity RE: Weapons of Legacy concept rework instead of "Roy's Sword", which we'll eventually find out anyways, may not be the best use of his time.

goodpeople25
2016-02-22, 06:17 PM
very touching tribute even though i never knew him.

Those words near the end were very powerful... And then i laughed at the masterful summing up of the plot.
Go order of the stick, stop the election fraud!

As for the weapon of legacy vs the giant's bearer of the ancestral weapon prestige class. i don't know much about the weapons but i from i have heard i think it fits thematically a bit better than the bearer of the ancestral weapon which dosen't quite match Roy to me. Plus i don't think Horace really needs to rejoin the comic which the class seems to suggest.

Mechanically i think it'll mostly do what the giant wants it to do. So etiher one would work, though the class would need to change quite a bit while the weapon seems to just need to be made stronger.

Fawkes
2016-02-22, 06:35 PM
This might be my favorite strip ever.

Canuck617
2016-02-22, 06:49 PM
Add me to the long list of people who got hit right in the feels with this comic. I also didn't know the guy, but this comic was touching, nonetheless, so much so that it drew me to post on it. It also makes me think of what's important enough not to wait until tomorrow to do or say. Truly a sobering and dignified comic.

I'm also glad we're starting to learn about the sword, and I really want to see what Roy learns! Also, while the wait only feels long because I'm so anxious to see what happens next, I am glad to see a lot of fleshing out and the foundations of the resolution. It's going to be a crazy ride, and I'm still eagerly awaiting that somethin' ta look forward ta (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0963.html).

eilandesq
2016-02-22, 06:55 PM
If the Giant has put any thought into the general principles of weapons of legacy and a tweak or fix that won't spoil upcoming comics I'd love to see that sort of thing, is all I'm saying. I'll be absolutely flabbergasted if he just pulled something straight out of the book, unless I'm forgetting something amazing from that pile of flavorful trap options. Or, 3.5 is so old he's at the point of just handwaving everything, but I doubt it considering the comic was founded on rules jokes and he made fun of UMD weirdness just a few comics ago.

However, I admit that satisfying my curiosity RE: Weapons of Legacy concept rework instead of "Roy's Sword", which we'll eventually find out anyways, may not be the best use of his time.

If you wanted to look at it like how a DM might handle a situation like this in a game, it could be a situation like some games' use of "mystery XP savings" where the GM will--upon agreement with the player--set aside some portion of the player's advancement towards a goal that the player has already specified, or that the player has said "Surprise me!" about. In the case of Roy as PC, his relationship with the Greenhilt sword is one of the major themes of his character, sometimes to self-destructive levels (refusing to choose another primary weapon until it was re-forged comes to mind there). Combine that with various plot developments (like the party suddenly losing a massive amount of treasure in the inn explosion), and it's easy to justify some sort of massively empowerment being dumped on the weapon that Roy has been so loyal to for years without requirement of formal ritual beforehand.

8BitNinja
2016-02-22, 07:02 PM
Roy has three letters
Roy rhymes with boy
Boy has three letters
three plus three equals 6
Burlew has 6 letters
Rich Burlew
Rich Burlew starts with an R
Roy starts with an R

Roy Greenhilt is Rich Burlew confirmed

melthengylf
2016-02-22, 07:05 PM
Giant, you really make a best comic after another. This make through my feelings

8BitNinja
2016-02-22, 07:07 PM
Am I the only one who wasn't touched by it

apparently

I just made a comment that I thought would be slightly funny

littlebum2002
2016-02-22, 07:08 PM

I would be extremely surprised if Rich, after years of greatly reducing the reliance this strip has on the rules of 3.5 d&d, takes an obscure splatbook from 11 years ago and shoehorns it into the comic.

This weapon, just like everything else in the comic, will be Rich' own personal take on an item from d&d.

8BitNinja
2016-02-22, 07:11 PM
I would be extremely surprised if Rich, after years of greatly reducing the reliance this strip has on the rules of 3.5 d&d, takes an obscure splatbook from 11 years ago and shoehorns it into the comic.

This weapon, just like everything else in the comic, will be Rich' own personal take on an item from d&d.

But what legendary ancestral sword

There are a plethora of those

HashtagOwnage
2016-02-22, 07:16 PM
I've been reading OotS for years, and I had to create an account today just to say that the homage done in this strip was inspiring.

Icewraith
2016-02-22, 07:17 PM
If you wanted to look at it like how a DM might handle a situation like this in a game, it could be a situation like some games' use of "mystery XP savings" where the GM will--upon agreement with the player--set aside some portion of the player's advancement towards a goal that the player has already specified, or that the player has said "Surprise me!" about. In the case of Roy as PC, his relationship with the Greenhilt sword is one of the major themes of his character, sometimes to self-destructive levels (refusing to choose another primary weapon until it was re-forged comes to mind there). Combine that with various plot developments (like the party suddenly losing a massive amount of treasure in the inn explosion), and it's easy to justify some sort of massively empowerment being dumped on the weapon that Roy has been so loyal to for years without requirement of formal ritual beforehand.

Oh no, I totally get that- from a plot and concept and character perspective it makes a ton of sense. The Weapons of Legacy thing doesn't surprise me (in general) in the least. Think of it like a favorite restaurant that lists all their ingredients has included Dill Pickle in tonight's Creme Brulee. I already ate the dish, and while I'm not personally a fan of Dill Pickle and its inclusion distracted me from an otherwise excellent dessert, it totally worked for the dish in the context of the rest of the meal. Its inclusion intrigues me, and it's an ingredient that I've never really been able to use in my own cooking, and the way it's normally used I can't stand. So, on the assumption that the chef has done something to the ingredient to make it work, I'm curious as to what it is.

However, the metaphor breaks down here because I don't think knowing how the ingredient is prepared in general would detract from anything else the chef has planned, and the chef isn't in heavy competition with other restaurants who would gain an advantage if they knew how he prepared the ingredient.

Kantaki
2016-02-22, 07:17 PM
But what legendary ancestral sword

There are a plethora of those

There are many ancestral weapons, but only one that matters to Roy Greenhilt, descendant of Horace Greenhilt, bearer of the Greenhilt Sword.
:smalltongue:It's obviously the Bluepommel Saber.:smalltongue:

ti'esar
2016-02-22, 07:31 PM
I must admit to some confusion as to why some people are focusing here on the actual Weapons of Legacy rules not being very good. Like, even if OOTS hadn't long since shifted away from putting too much emphasis on the rules-as-written, does anybody really think that Roy's Special Ancestral Weapon Powers are being introduced as a handicap for him?

littlebum2002
2016-02-22, 07:33 PM
I must admit to some confusion as to why some people are focusing here on the actual Weapons of Legacy rules not being very good. Like, even if OOTS hadn't long since shifted away from putting too much emphasis om the rules-as-written, does anybody really think that Roy's Special Ancestral Weapon Powers are being introduced as a handicap for him?

Right. It seems pretty clear that the Weapons of Legacy was added just to give Roy some cool powers when fighting his uber-enemies.

zimmerwald1915
2016-02-22, 07:35 PM
It's almost like Roy doesn't need a wizard at all :smallamused:

But proving that is not the point of this strip. The point of this strip is the tribute, and a touching tribute it is.

GAAD
2016-02-22, 07:55 PM
Aww. :smallsmile:

Imma have to bust out the Eulogy for a Stranger again, aren't I?

Here you go, everyone who knew Mark personally.

Eulogy For a Stranger

I did not know him.
I did not know his family.
I did not know his friends.
I did not know he had existed.

I do not know you;
I do not know if you are free.
I do not know to what ends
Tomorrow's spirits are lifted.

Remember him today.
Remember him tomorrow.
Remember him ten years from now.
Remember him beyond the pale.

Cherish his memories.
Cherish his joy and sorrow.
Cherish his success, and how
He would not see you fail.

Until your light of life shall cease,
What's left of him shall rest in peace.
And yes, I wrote that. No big citations or links needed here!

Keltest
2016-02-22, 07:57 PM

I am confidant that, as ever, Rich will take what works and discard the rest.

Ravens_cry
2016-02-22, 08:17 PM
Probably already noted, but my first thought was 'Wait, did Wrecan just give Roy a splatbook?" Then I looked up the cover of Weapons of Legacy (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Weapons_of_Legacy_coverthumb.jpg), and my thought is . . ."Yes, he damn well did!"

Shadic
2016-02-22, 08:50 PM
Not much to say, other than this was handled incredibly well. Wrecan was a good dude, and his character was introduced (and finished) in an awesome way.

Kudos, Rich.

Odin's Eyepatch
2016-02-22, 08:54 PM
I laughed at the "I like counting things", and my heart broke at the last panel.

It was especially touching as Wrecan could not leave the yellow barrier: he is prevented from following any further. Seeing him stopped there, with that simple, uncluttered smile.... that wave...

Well done, Giant! Well done!

toapat
2016-02-22, 09:00 PM
Probably already noted, but my first thought was 'Wait, did Wrecan just give Roy a splatbook?" Then I looked up the cover of Weapons of Legacy (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Weapons_of_Legacy_coverthumb.jpg), and my thought is . . ."Yes, he damn well did!"

well, considering that Elan has one on him that lets him take levels of Dashing Swordsman, Roy getting Heir of Legacy levels seems appropriate

Rogar Demonblud
2016-02-22, 09:08 PM
This would've been the first time Roy's used the sword in earnest since his Resurrection. He might be tapping into the celestial version of the sword that Horace wields.

Actually, go back and reread the strip where the sword is reforged (on mobile, can't link, sorry). The first thing Roy does is grab it and swear a Mighty Oath on his sword to vanquish Xykon.

This has been building up for a bit, now.

KorvinStarmast
2016-02-22, 09:14 PM
To take a bit of license with Larwence Binyon's famous poem (http://www.greatwar.co.uk/poems/laurence-binyon-for-the-fallen.htm)...

Wrecan shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary him, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
When we read the strip, we will remember him.

Rich Burlew, you are a class act.

*hand salute*

Ravens_cry
2016-02-22, 10:01 PM
well, considering that Elan has one on him that lets him take levels of Dashing Swordsman, Roy getting Heir of Legacy levels seems appropriate
Wait, Dashing Swordsman is a real Prestige Class? And I don't mean something homebrewed with the comic as inspiration.

M.A.D
2016-02-22, 10:06 PM
Mark of Distinction, huh? I didn't remember that that was his name until someone mentioned it in this forum. It's sad to think that Wrecan's reference will eventually be forgotten, either by future readers or those who never visit the forum. It already happened in the first page. But that tribute was really beautiful, in a style that's very Giant-y. I've never met Wrecan before, but I think he would have liked it.

StClair
2016-02-22, 10:32 PM
Aw man. I'm crying now.
Well done, Giant.
And farewell, Wrecan.

Porthos
2016-02-22, 10:41 PM
Wait, Dashing Swordsman is a real Prestige Class? And I don't mean something homebrewed with the comic as inspiration.

No, it's not real. Everything out there on the net is homebrew inspired by the strip.

Roland Itiative
2016-02-22, 10:49 PM
That was a very touching tribute. And a very cool development for Roy, even if a somewhat predictable one. I wonder how Roy's father will feel when he finds out that his son is basically doing magiuc by being a warrior :smalltongue:

KorvinStarmast
2016-02-22, 10:53 PM
No, it's not real. Everything out there on the net is homebrew inspired by the strip.Actually, Porthos, your old friends Athos and Aramis were both dashing swordsmen (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Dashing_Swordsman_(3.5e_Prestige_Class)). That was even before there was D&D and prestige classes. You could say you three were pre-prestige.

(Your post made me chuckle).

stsasser
2016-02-22, 10:55 PM
You are a damn fine human being, Rich.
It is a privilege to read your work.

stsasser

Elfaron
2016-02-22, 11:24 PM
This strip really touched me I would feel guilty if I didn't post something.

It's been an honour reading your comics for more than a decade, Mr. Giant.

Starwulf
2016-02-22, 11:32 PM
That is a great send-off and tribute. Thanks, Giant.

See the news page, May 18, 2015. (http://www.giantitp.com/index.html)

Thank you for the explanation. After reading that, I went back and re-read the comic and it made so much more sense and was so very poignant.

Telwar
2016-02-22, 11:33 PM

Boy, I sure hope they're using other rules. I had almost everything from 3.5, but Weapons of Legacy got put back on the shelf every time. Hell, the font was even bigger than every other release, like it was inflated to increase page count.

Scubasteve0209
2016-02-22, 11:37 PM
Anyone else getting a Finn x Poe shipping vibe? There are a number of parallels...

gamingfreak10
2016-02-22, 11:45 PM
I've never been very active here, but I've lurked for years, and I remember reading lots of Wrecan's posts in various threads, thanks to his distinctive avatar. I didn't realize he had passed until the news post, but thanks to Rich's tribute, I'll never forget him now, neither his contributions to these forums, nor as a character in my favorite web comic. Thank you Rich.

Thecommander236
2016-02-23, 12:12 AM
Wrecan (the person for whom the character is named) started the "Number of Character Appearances" thread.

Heh, that's funny, I did the exact same thing on the MS Paint Masterpieces forums for that webcomic. I guess me and Wrecan are kind of alike in that way. http://forums.bobandgeorge.com/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=17272&sid=2abc260c68088521b2412542b8d8bebc

ackmondual
2016-02-23, 12:16 AM
Luckily, Rich Burlew knows how to draw. I was concerned that the last panel would have the guy with an evil/sinister grin. We already have too many plot points manifesting!

Gift Jeraff
2016-02-23, 12:37 AM
Anyone else getting a Finn x Poe shipping vibe? There are a number of parallels...

Disrespectful to Wrecan and his wife tbh

Emperordaniel
2016-02-23, 12:47 AM

What. :smallannoyed:

Wildroses
2016-02-23, 12:47 AM
I liked how Wrecan also had a plot purpose as well as being a tribute. Now Roy will know what the heck is going on with his sword.

Evandar
2016-02-23, 01:07 AM
Oh god I almost cried. That got me right where I live. What a beautiful page.

Ravens_cry
2016-02-23, 01:18 AM
No, it's not real. Everything out there on the net is homebrew inspired by the strip.

I thought so. It's a neat concept for a more silly campaign (it would fit right in with my current group) but I would not let it in for much else.

Qworg
2016-02-23, 01:23 AM
Registered just to say that I appreciated the tribute. Beautifully done.

And I logged back in after being gone for over five years just to say thank you. Like counting things indeed. =)

RolkFlameraven
2016-02-23, 01:28 AM
Powerful words when you know the subtext. Got me right in the feels it did.

Loved the splat book's cover, too bad its the ONLY 3.5 book printed that never saw any use at my table. Such a cool idea wasted on poor mechanics.

However Roy doesn't have to worry about any of that. While the book is all about doing what someone else did to unlock the powers THEY placed into the weapon via rituals that symbolically honor the legendary things done long ago, Roy is the one DOING all those things, so he gets all the perks and no downside. Those who fallow him and wield the blade are going to get screwed though!

Or at lest that's my take. I honest don't remember if there are even rules for that in the book; being the one to forge the 'legacy' and not just go through the motions isn't something I remember from reading it some ten plus years ago though.

ShneekeyTheLost
2016-02-23, 01:37 AM
This is probably the first time in months, maybe years, since I commented on a strip.

This one. It hit me right in the feels. The community would not be what it is today without him. We are poorer for his loss, yet richer for his memory.

This strip was... perfect. Send his wife a signed copy of it. Hell, I'd pay for a physical copy of this strip. Digital download, whatever. Something. This deserves a revered place on the site somewhere. Hang on, let me get this out of my eye real quick and I can try to be more coherent...

In Memoriam Wrecan.

Magma Armor0
2016-02-23, 01:48 AM
Phenomenonally written and designed tribute, here. A helper to the very end. :smallsmile:
This tribute is so very touching for all the right reasons. I need to go hug my family, now...

Well-written as well.

Reqiescas in pace, Wrecan. Nunc, et in perpetuum, ave atque vale.

ZerglingOne
2016-02-23, 02:42 AM
WOW. I am on the verge of tears after reading this comic. The Wrecan tribute was one of the most beautiful send-offs I've ever read. Thank you for this comic Rich.

lothos
2016-02-23, 02:45 AM
So I know literally hundreds of people have already expressed a similiar sentiment, but I have to add my voice.

That was a touching strip Rich. I never knew Wrecan or even conversed directly with him, but I am certain from what others have said he would have deeply appreciated your inclusion of a character named after him. I also imagine him laughing as much as I did about the "I like counting things" panel. That was brilliant.

When someone passes on, I think it's important to remember them and think about what they added to our lives. I would be honoured if someone took as much time and effort to remember me as Rich has done for Wrecan.

dmaxno
2016-02-23, 03:50 AM
I wasn't even here yet when Wrecan was around, but damn. That was beautifully done.
I had logged in to say that. I felt a bit sad knowing I won't see the Wrecan character anymore, but looking at him past that yellow barrier, giving him time to say those things... that is beautiful.

Wereboar_It
2016-02-23, 03:51 AM
I am probably saying things that have already been said, here or in "real life".

But I'm saying them all the same.

The "last words" from the comic Wrecan are an absolute truth, as much as a truth can be really absolute. As a survivor of two tumors, both luckily caught in time and surgically removed, and having lost my mother at age 30 for the same reason, I wholeheartedly support Wrecan's claim.

Live. Live fully. Do what you can, every day, because we don't know what Tomorrow brings and we don't know IF there will be a Tomorrow.

Best to you all.

Comissar
2016-02-23, 04:23 AM
As with many who have commented above, I can't claim to have known Wrecan. I've been on the forum long enough that I do remember some of his posts, but I was never active in the same parts of the forum as him. All the same, this is a really touching tribute and I want to thank you for making it.

T.G. Oskar
2016-02-23, 04:52 AM
Am I the only one who wasn't touched by it

apparently

I just made a comment that I thought would be slightly funny

Not necessarily. I'll be honest - I've been so distracted by stuff that, even with the news post, I realized it was an in memoriam to a poster as it was mentioned here. Not everyone processes grief in the same way, either, and not everybody has to be touched by tributes the same way. Not recognizing or expressing sorrow doesn't mean you're devoid of feelings either - it's just that what unleashes that feeling might be different for you than for anyone else.

In short - no, you're not the only one, and don't feel bad for your expression being so awkward. There's a lot of people that appreciate wrecan's work (IIRC, his username was all lowercase) on understanding the comic a bit better, even if quirky ("I like counting things" = # of comic appearances thread, which is naturally related to counting), so they're just expressing his feelings on such a well-done tribute. The seamlessness of the tribute (those who follow the comic since its inception will understand it, but people that joined later on, while they might not get it, won't feel left aside by it). Consider that those who read the comic from now on, without reading the news posts or the threads, will think of Wrecan (the character; note the capitalization) as another character, albeit with a strange name.

@Weapons of Legacy: interesting move. I don't see using Ancestral Weapon (the feat) as a basis for the Greenhilt Sword reasonable enough, considering the current manifestation of its powers. Ancestral Sword is limited mostly to what you can provide from existing weapon enhancements, whereas a custom-built item of Legacy could fit everything neatly. As it stands, the Greenhilt Sword has shown to be a +5 weapon, with most likely Undead Bane (due to the Starmetal, which is most likely either a legacy prerequisite or Roy founding his own legacy, making it a Mutable Legacy item - the Oath unlocking part of the power, the Starmetal fixing it towards Undead), and now manifesting a sort of Rage ability + self-healing (not sure about the Rage, but self-healing IS a legacy power).

Since it's most likely custom, the Giant must be either hand-waving the penalties or using a penalty set that doesn't really affect him so much. That, or the penalties are much, much more interesting than usual. It's reasonable to think that the implementation of Weapons of Legacy is retooled to an extent - the Giant has suggested that homebrewed content is kosher in the setting, anyways, and taking an unpopular splat and making it interesting (or the source of a joke; still too early to comprehend) is kinda his thing. That, and focusing too much on optimization over story being something he jokes about (re:optimized Spiked Chain Half-Ogre)

Adeptus
2016-02-23, 05:20 AM
Nice comic once again Giant, and a fitting tribute.

Also, prestige class ahoy. Bearer of an Ancestral Weapon, if I recall...

Draquawanor
2016-02-23, 05:35 AM
I never felt the need to comment here (or pretty much anywhere), but I need to say that this is one of the most powerful in memoriam in any kind of media.

Bulldog Psion
2016-02-23, 06:22 AM
The sun is too bright on this planet. It's making my eyes water before it has even come up.

nyjastul69
2016-02-23, 06:28 AM
A Weapon of Legacy huh? Those things are terrible. I hope Rich homebrewed this one hard.

Stormwolf
2016-02-23, 09:01 AM
Well that was poignant... now if you'll excuse me I appear to have a speck of sentiment in my eye...

ChillerInstinct
2016-02-23, 09:14 AM
*raises glass*

*clink*

I can't say I knew the man, but somehow I can't help but feel that he would have liked the tribute. T'was beautiful, at any rate.

Jormengand
2016-02-23, 09:15 AM
(IIRC, his username was all lowercase)

You don't RC. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/member.php?11370-Wrecan)

ifhbiff
2016-02-23, 09:20 AM
I just wanted to post. I wanted to let y'all know I created a sign in just to post to say how lovely today's OOTS was. I was never part of the forums, didn't know anything about Wrecan until I read The Giant's News post, but I thought it was very emotional and brilliant and all sorts of good adjectives here.

"I like counting things." Indeed.

Giscard76
2016-02-23, 09:23 AM
Twice this comic has touched my emotional core on an almost religious level.
The Frist time was when Roy's little brother asked him to play blocks with him... Today was the second time when Wrecan said: "There's never enough time." It sums up exactly how I have felt each time I lose a friend. I didn't Know Wrecan but we all have people we lost and no matter how much time you get you always want more.

Sesharan
2016-02-23, 09:43 AM
(Cries ugly tears)

Syncrogti
2016-02-23, 09:47 AM
I can't believe I just realized that "Mark of Distinction" refers to Mark, the playgrounder who went by the name Wrecan.

Xavon
2016-02-23, 10:40 AM
"stop a crazy dwarf vampire from committing election fraud"?

Isn't it a little late for Ross Perot jokes? Unless it was a Trump joke...

Kobold-Bard
2016-02-23, 10:41 AM
Nice tribute, and glad to have an answer to Roy hulking out.

HandofShadows
2016-02-23, 10:51 AM
This is a great strip on so many levels. Thank you Giant.

Orful Biggun
2016-02-23, 11:00 AM
Twice this comic has touched my emotional core on an almost religious level.
The Frist time was when Roy's little brother asked him to play blocks with him...

Oh, absolutely this, agreed 110%. I don't know what it is, but ... like just the right music, maybe, there's just something about this medium that lends itself to triggering some serious emotional reactions. A picture is worth 1000 words? Something like that?

Of course it's not the medium alone. An artist with just the right artistic talent and touch is a requirement of course, but that's not all; I could draw as well as any cartoonist out there but without that special something that makes people like Gary Larson, Berke Breathed, and our own Rich Berlew the wondrous creators they are, I could only make something that looks good. I couldn't create something that brings 75% of my readers to tears. Not to mention the characters, wow, we grow so fond of them and feel so close to them. Roy, Elan, Haley and the rest; Opus, Charlie Brown, Garfield, Dennis the Menace. Even Torg and Riff and Bun-Bun if you're into that. :)

Speaking of Peanuts, when Charles Schulz died a number of cartoonists published tributes to him. I especially remember one single-panel cartoon featuring Charlie Brown and legendary Dallas Cowboys coach Tom Landry, who had died on the same day as Schulz. To see this cartoon along with many more like it just do an image search for "cartoon tribute to charles schulz".

If you'd rather not bother with that, the tribute I mentioned depicts Landry and Charlie Brown walking away from us toward the pearly gates. Landry, his hand resting on Charlie's back in a fatherly manner, says, "Now, a few pointers on kicking a football ..."

That one gets me to this day.

So when we were introduced to Roy's brother for the first time? Oh the breathtaking beauty of the way that was done! I think I'd been reading OotS for about a year at the time, had dug back and read every strip to that point, but that one? Yeah, you could have knocked me over with a feather. I couldn't come up with a more touching and beautiful way to conceptualize, arrange, draw, and caption that particular strip if I lived to be 1000 years old.

And I feel the same way about this tribute to Wrecan. Giant, you are truly a wonder and I feel privileged to be able to enjoy your work as you are producing it.

Seward
2016-02-23, 11:11 AM
Loved the splat book's cover, too bad its the ONLY 3.5 book printed that never saw any use at my table. Such a cool idea wasted on poor mechanics.

However Roy doesn't have to worry about any of that. While the book is all about doing what someone else did to unlock the powers THEY placed into the weapon via rituals that symbolically honor the legendary things done long ago, Roy is the one DOING all those things, so he gets all the perks and no downside. Those who fallow him and wield the blade are going to get screwed though!

I like this theory. It's exactly what I would have done as a GM if I had a player like Roy whose quest was pretty much the main campaign story arc and who had steadfastly stuck to it after getting his weapon sundered, getting killed, losing his best friend, etc.

It's also entirely plausible that Roy's been accumulating cash without much place to spend it. He's already got a +5 weapon, a belt of giant strength and presumably has at some point been putting some cash into his armor and cloak of resistance, but hasn't really shopped or found anything else in something like 10 levels. So the GM might just be flavoring some of the stuff he'd buy anyway as tied to his sword, and maybe giving him a cost break, with Weapon of Legacy flavor, but retooled because he isn't trying to imitate the great deeds of ancestors, he's doing the deeds.

IDrankWHAT
2016-02-23, 11:11 AM
Roy has three letters
Roy rhymes with boy
Boy has three letters
three plus three equals 6
Burlew has 6 letters
Rich Burlew
Rich Burlew starts with an R
Roy starts with an R

Roy Greenhilt is Rich Burlew confirmed

This has to be THE BEST six degrees of Kevin Bacon I've ever witnessed....I'm....I'm speechless....

Kobold-Bard
2016-02-23, 11:12 AM
Wait, to use/improve his sword Roy has to act like a wizard?:smallbiggrin: ...

heh :smallamused:

IDrankWHAT
2016-02-23, 11:15 AM

DARN IT! The feels all over again! That was beautiful.....no other words I can think of...

GAAD
2016-02-23, 11:43 AM
DARN IT! The feels all over again! That was beautiful.....no other words I can think of...

Thank you!

DaggerPen
2016-02-23, 12:25 PM
I'm... not crying... There's just... something... in my eye...

What a beautiful send-off, Rich. I didn't know Wrecan, unfortunately, but I hope those who did are as touched, and remember him fondly.

Quibblicious
2016-02-23, 12:56 PM
I've been reading OotS for years, and I had to create an account today just to say that the homage done in this strip was inspiring.

It was a critical hit right in the feels.

Well played.

Manty5
2016-02-23, 01:05 PM

Now, I'm sure I remembered being jumped upon by several forumers for merely mentioning that a law existed. Forumers who are mysteriously absent now...

So, is the rule actually No political discussions... except bashing right-wing politicians. That's ok.

?

Because if we're going to be discussing real-life elections, I have a couple juicy ones concerning Durkula raising the dead rising to vote Democrat... and nobody noticing the difference from their normal practices.

Shining Wrath
2016-02-23, 01:25 PM
Now, I'm sure I remembered being jumped upon by several forumers for merely mentioning that a law existed. Forumers who are mysteriously absent now...

So, is the rule actually No political discussions... except bashing right-wing politicians. That's ok.

?

Because if we're going to be discussing real-life elections, I have a couple juicy ones concerning Durkula raising the dead rising to vote Democrat... and nobody noticing the difference from their normal practices.

Please proceed.

Manty5
2016-02-23, 01:34 PM
Yeah right. I've had enough one-sided rules enforcement for the week, thanks.

paladinomt
2016-02-23, 01:36 PM

>>> Weapon of Legacy not cost feat...its a bonus for the ritual.

pendell
2016-02-23, 02:11 PM

It wasn't either, I don't think. Yes, there is a wonderful world of context and subtext in OOTS, but I don't think there was any kind of underlying message here. It's just a throwaway one-liner. Durkula (or HPOH or whatever) is trying to commit election fraud. There's no reason to bring any real world incident into it.

The mods do try to enforce the rules fairly. They , are, however, human beings and make mistakes. Regardless, the rules that apply to us, the posters, do not apply to Rich Burlew, the guy who pays for all this. If he wants to mock real-world religion or politics in-comic, he does have the right to do so. We wouldn't be allowed to comment on it here, and that would be somewhat unfair, but that is the decision he made.

I understand why, though. Websites which allow religious or political discussion tend to generate unending flamewars which consume tons of moderator time and effort on stuff that doesn't apply at all to the comic or the real purpose of these forums, which is to promote Rich's work.

So that's the forum. I admit there are times the restrictions feel a bit like a hair shirt, but on the other hand I'd met some wonderful people who think very differently than I do along political and religious lines, people who I might not otherwise have met if we were so busy defending our various faith positions and beliefs. So on balance I'd say it works out. That's why I'm still here. :smallamused:

After all, it's not like this is the only place on the web. The facebook group doesn't have any restrictions or any moderation.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Killer Angel
2016-02-23, 02:23 PM

No, it is not, and all you have to do is to report the posts that enter too much in political arguments.

aurilee
2016-02-23, 03:33 PM
This seems to be a "bringing lurkers out of hiding" strip.

As a long time fan of the comic, and reader of the forums I just wanted to register and throw my hat in here and say that this comic really was beautiful. I read it on a pretty crappy day all around and it made me a happy/teary/sad puddle of mush and it was great.

I'm always impressed by the artwork in this comic, and something about the art in this strip just hit me that certain way where everything seemed to fall into place.

Bravo.

Lkctgo
2016-02-23, 03:42 PM
That was a very classy way to show appreciation for Wrecan.

EvilAnagram
2016-02-23, 03:48 PM
Huh. That is exactly how I handle magic items in my campaign. I don't use plusses, they simply gain features as players put effort into improving them or accomplish important milestones. It makes the players much more invested in their weapons as they shape their powers.

Quibblicious
2016-02-23, 03:58 PM
Actually, Porthos, your old friends Athos and Aramis were both dashing swordsmen (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Dashing_Swordsman_(3.5e_Prestige_Class)). That was even before there was D&D and prestige classes. You could say you three were pre-prestige.

(Your post made me chuckle).

So instead of Musketeers, they were Hipsteteers?

:smallbiggrin:

Malfarian
2016-02-23, 04:28 PM
The "I wish I'd gotten to know you better" tears me up

kabukiman1973
2016-02-23, 05:11 PM
Very touching. I didn't knew him, but it was a beautiful moment.

Nemeean_lion
2016-02-23, 05:59 PM
This is one of those times when I'm really glad that I read the forum after each strip.

I would have completely missed that tribute if not for these posts.

Rereading the comic strip after knowing about this makes it so much better.

axus
2016-02-23, 06:46 PM
Nice comic once again Giant, and a fitting tribute.

Also, prestige class ahoy. Bearer of an Ancestral Weapon, if I recall...

You recall correctly! Rich posted his ideas for fixing it years ago:

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=9622876&postcount=5

DarioD
2016-02-23, 06:48 PM
What a moving tribute. Well done Giant.

To Wrecan.

D.

irondude
2016-02-23, 07:02 PM
IIRC this is the third homage he does on the strip. The first two were for the creators of D&D. The third's for Wrecan, may he reroll an OP character next life. All of said homages have been amazing, he really should speak at funerals. The three had been amazing farewells, and seamessly incorporated into the story besides. I've been struggling for words, and I don't have them. I think the Giant is the only one that can pull off these things, at funerals, I really don't know what to say, and even ask what exacly happened to de deceased seems irrelevant.

So, oddly, I find myself typing that I logged in just to say I don't have words about the latest strip :P

And yes, this is kinda bringing us lurkers out

ThreadKiller
2016-02-23, 09:35 PM
I didn't know Wrecan, but the tribute was very touching. This community never ceases to amaze me. :smallsmile:

8BitNinja
2016-02-23, 10:58 PM

Ummm

No

NihhusHuotAliro
2016-02-23, 11:44 PM
This is...

This is such a genuine, sincere strip.

I hope TraderJodie sees it.

Skaven
2016-02-24, 12:03 AM
This was a wonderful comic and was seriously touching. Thank you, Rich.

Ruck
2016-02-24, 12:33 AM
You recall correctly! Rich posted his ideas for fixing it years ago:

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=9622876&postcount=5
Rich's version linked there requires the ability to cast Greater Magic Weapon, though, and as far as I know Roy can't do that. I don't know how closely what happens with Roy and the Weapon of Legacy will reflect the Prestige Class Rich wrote.

I have a strong feeling that Roy will keep upgrading the sword, only for it to be shattered in the inevitable encounter with Xykon :smallsmile:
Nah, Rich doesn't really seem to re-use plot events like that.

I think Roy's sword just jumped the shark.

That's probably one of those special abilities these legacy weapons can develop.
Great, now I'm really hoping that at some point in the final battle or the leadup to it, we see Roy's sword charge him up to leap over Lien on her shark-mount.

JustinKase
2016-02-24, 01:06 AM
This was a touching (and brilliant) send off to Wrecan. I love that even the title "Mark of Distinction" makes me think of him.

I hope he is on his scrying cloud having a smile at this (along with tallying the latest appearances) :smallsmile:

konradknox
2016-02-24, 03:09 AM
R.I.P. Wrecan. Your fellow adventurers are waiting for you at the tavern.

Sometimes I wonder if I too will pass without knowing how this story ends. We never get to see our post mortem cameos...

Time to get drunk and depressed.. :smallfrown:

eugee
2016-02-24, 07:26 AM
Wow. What a beautiful tribute, Rich.

illyahr
2016-02-24, 09:50 AM
Why you gotta hit my feels? Those were my feels and you hit them. :smallfrown:

HeadAcheron
2016-02-24, 11:56 AM
Wow. My soul feels like I joined the forum too late and would've been able to meet somebody wonderful if I'd been here earlier.

I'm need to go tell my family I love them now.

JoeyTheNeko
2016-02-24, 12:03 PM
aw, how sweet.

how is belkar doing, I wonder?