PDA

View Full Version : Healing sword? Did I miss something?

GSFB
2016-02-22, 09:09 PM
Did I miss something in an earlier post? It was clear from the previous strips as Roy battled Durkula that the Greenhilt sword flashing green was giving Roy power - but was there some previous indication that there was a healing effect for Roy? I had thought it was simply giving him extra power to fight undead.

Yuki Akuma
2016-02-22, 09:11 PM
You're missing this comic, apparently. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1009.html)

He's injured in all the panels... except the final one. And he's still uninjured in the next comic.

enh
2016-02-22, 09:14 PM
Like Yuki says, there's no specific "healing" artwork/effect, it's just that the red "wound/slashy/bleeding" artwork all vanishes in one panel. I didn't notice it either until this strip.

Quild
2016-02-23, 04:01 AM
Like Yuki says, there's no specific "healing" artwork/effect, it's just that the red "wound/slashy/bleeding" artwork all vanishes in one panel. I didn't notice it either until this strip.
Big green aura and the fact that all wounds vanish are not enough of a clue? :smalleek:

Except the classic Healing spells, the only thing I have in mind that could fit with what you have in mind is the second panel of this strip (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0852.html).
But this is not the same Healing effect.

Kish
2016-02-23, 05:13 AM
Yeah, I'm unclear on what further effect could possibly be wanted than "he went from nearly dead with multiple negative levels to completely uninjured when the sword lit up."

Rift_Wolf
2016-02-23, 09:15 AM
Yeah, I'm unclear on what further effect could possibly be wanted than "he went from nearly dead with multiple negative levels to completely uninjured when the sword lit up."

Wound closing montage?

dancrilis
2016-02-23, 10:02 AM
I am reminded of the healing shiv from 8-bit theater - lets hope Roy can figure out which end does the healing (and that he doesn't mistake his healing sword for a regular sword).

NerdyKris
2016-02-23, 10:11 AM

I remember a good number of people noticed that at the time, and there was some debate over whether it was an intentional healing effect or a mistake.

Rift_Wolf
2016-02-23, 12:07 PM
I remember a good number of people noticed that at the time, and there was some debate over whether it was an intentional healing effect or a mistake.

I remember fervently stressing that the sword's light in no way had healed Roy and there was no way that an unexpected, unexplained and non-foreshadowed power would manifest like that at all ever.
My username should've been Sumadartson...

Shining Wrath
2016-02-23, 12:10 PM
When Roy said "Well, that was weird", the Hulk Mode plus Healing was evidently what he meant.

Reboot
2016-02-23, 06:20 PM

We've never quite had confirmation that it pulled a Restoration on his negative levels, have we? Even this strip talks about it only in terms of healing...

Morquard
2016-02-23, 07:16 PM
Well, Roy had been hit by MULTIPLE negative levels before the green light. Or at least by multiple unarmed attacks, with the black "negative energy" aura, which usually means negative level. Sure it might just be damage, but considering it's an automatic effect whenever a Vampire uses his Slam attack (or another natural weapon), it's unlikely Durkon would have not used it. I just counted, he got hit at least 4 times by what looks like Energy Drain. Each time inflicts 2 negative levels, so he'd be down by at least 8 levels.
After the green light Roy has not been hit at all, Durkon pulled up the Anti-Life Shell right away.

I would guess, Roy being in the presence of 20 clerics he'd have mentioned "Oh by the way, anyone can heal those 8 negative levels I got there?" if they were still around. Especially considering he has no cleric waiting for him back on the Airship that can do it.

So, while not definite proof, it's a very strong implication.

GSFB
2016-02-23, 08:49 PM
Cool. I was so caught up with the "hulk" affect and kicking butt that I didn't notice the injuries. I thought the glow was all offensive power. Thanks for the explanation!

theasl
2016-02-23, 08:58 PM
In regards to the negative levels:

I often use a mixture of black marks and red ones in order to break up the visuals from being a mass of red lines. The black ones might represent scuffs, dirt, burns, bruises, or any injury that isn't bloody. This time, I had them appear when Durkon energy drained, because who knows what that would look like anyway?
Those black marks disappear together with the red marks indicating health damage, so I'd say that it restored the negative levels.

Morquard
2016-02-23, 09:21 PM
I never noticed the black marks, or never paid attention to them at least. Thanks for pointing it out

Darth Paul
2016-02-24, 12:48 AM
You're not the only one who didn't notice it. Then again, I also didn't read the discussion thread on that one, and I missed the way the wound marks disappeared, because I generally pay more attention to the action than to the characters' appearance.

So don't feel bad. I had just been assuming Roy got healed in between comics. After all, there's a lot of friggin' clerics there. (Some of them are even clerics of Frigg.)

Morquard
2016-02-24, 07:16 AM
Ah no, I saw the wound marks vanishing, and knew he was healed, I just never noticed there were two types of marks.

Kish
2016-02-24, 07:34 AM
We've never quite had confirmation that it pulled a Restoration on his negative levels, have we? Even this strip talks about it only in terms of healing...
Marks aside, this strikes me as making an insupportable distinction. Removing negative levels is a form of healing. Roy wouldn't have said he didn't need healing if the reality was "I am at full hit points, taking into account how my maximum hit points have been reduced by the eight negative levels I still have."

Killer Angel
2016-02-24, 11:24 AM
I remember fervently stressing that the sword's light in no way had healed Roy and there was no way that an unexpected, unexplained and non-foreshadowed power would manifest like that at all .

Tnx.
I was wondering if really this forum was starting to suffer from short time memory loss effects... :smallamused:

Rift_Wolf
2016-02-24, 04:11 PM
Tnx.
I was wondering if really this forum was starting to suffer from short time memory loss effects... :smallamused:

I think 'admit when you're wrong' is a good maxim to have. And I've been wrong too many times to have any delusions of rightness.

Darth Paul
2016-02-26, 02:50 AM
I've been told that I suffer from delusions of adequacy.... is that similar?