PDA

View Full Version : Player Help non recomended races/class combination

alzzin
2016-02-22, 09:37 PM
It has been a while since I played and don't know all the rules anymore. I see a lot of guides with recommended race/class combination, I try not to be a min/maxer but it is in my nature not to want to be gimped. My question is if I want to play a non optimal race/class combination, using a point buy system, for my primary stat since I won't be able to hit 16 should I try and hit 15 or should I drop to 14 use those 2 points to get rid of a -1 in a dump stat. I will need 3 Ability score Improvements to hit 20 anyway.

bid
2016-02-22, 09:55 PM
My question is if I want to play a non optimal race/class combination, using a point buy system, for my primary stat since I won't be able to hit 16 should I try and hit 15 or should I drop to 14 use those 2 points to get rid of a -1 in a dump stat. I will need 3 Ability score Improvements to hit 20 anyway.
Odd stats are the devil!

There are 2 cases for odd values:
- feat with a +1 stat (resilient being the usual suspect)
- pair of capped odds (mountain dwarf Str17 / Con17, for instance)

There's also the point that 16 14 14 12 10 10 is a little flat.

Ninja_Prawn
2016-02-23, 03:45 AM
If your primary is strength, I'd say go for the 15; you never know when you'll happen upon a suit of splint mail. Otherwise you may as well leave it at 14 and pump it up at level 4.

Unless there's a half-feat you know you want to take. Then it's pretty much a toss up; either way is fine. Wait, no. Then it's pretty clear that you should go for the 15.

hymer
2016-02-23, 03:54 AM
Unless there's a half-feat you know you want to take.

This. If you want to be clear, work out in advance what ASIs you're going to take and take this into account during your point buy.

Talamare
2016-02-23, 04:16 AM
Altho most half point feats... kinda of suck

Ninja_Prawn
2016-02-23, 04:19 AM

Yeah, but there's no accounting for taste. The OP's already said they're going for a suboptimal character, so perhaps they've got something specific in mind.

hymer
2016-02-23, 04:37 AM

I agree in general, but there are specific exceptions for feats and for builds. Resilient for Con is pretty good for most spellcasters, and a reason they'd consider starting with an uneven con score.

JellyPooga
2016-02-23, 05:02 AM
I agree in general, but there are specific exceptions for feats and for builds. Resilient for Con is pretty good for most spellcasters, and a reason they'd consider starting with an uneven con score.

Resilient (Wis) is also a solid choice for most melees. I frequently have an odd Wisdom at char-gen for just this purpose. Not only does it give you proficiency in an important save, but also bumps up your oh-so-important Perception and (to a lesser extent) Insight.

Deadandamnation
2016-02-26, 10:26 AM
Let's say for example that you wanna play an High Elf Barbarian...not an optimal race for sure (Unless you go for a Dex based barb but that don't rage at all...but let that out of question)

HE gives you 2 Dex and 1 Int

Starting stats: Str 15, Con 15 (Your main stats), Dex 12->14 (The cap for medium armor), Int 9->10, Wis 12, Cha 8

At level 4 Increase Con and Str to 16. Problem solved.

gfishfunk
2016-02-26, 10:36 AM
Any race + class combo will work, not seriously gimped. It is just not optimal, and that is fine.

Tiefling Barbarian:

Str: 14
Dex: 14
Con: 14
Wis: 10
Int: 9 (+1) = 10
Cha: 11 (+2) = 13

Non-optimal, but it WORKS without any hand-waving.

tieren
2016-02-26, 10:47 AM
I'm working out a Paladin/warlock MC character that I want to be a forest gnome (its whole OotA, fey lock, forest-green knight kind of thing).

Problem is the need to boost Str, Cha, and Con when the racials don't support any of that.

I've decided to go pact of the tome to pick up shillelagh, which will let me use Cha as my attack stat so I don't have to boost Str. I still want to wear plate so I need a str of 15, because of the other MAD stresses on my point buy I've decided to just leave the odd figure in Str. I considered starting with just 14 Str and picking up Heavy Armor Master for the +1 Str and DR later when I could afford plate, but then it slowed down getting my Cha up which I need for a whole lot of other stuff (casting, aura bonuses, etc...).

No where near optimized of course, but will be a fun little fey knight.

Oramac
2016-02-26, 10:50 AM

I did this with my paladin. Started with a 15 Con specifically knowing I would be taking Resilient (Con) at 4th level.

The other option is to start with 2 15's and use an ASI to bump both of them by one each, to 16's. It's not ideal, but it doesn't sound like you're going for ideal at this point.

Deadandamnation
2016-02-26, 11:39 AM
I'm working out a Paladin/warlock MC character that I want to be a forest gnome (its whole OotA, fey lock, forest-green knight kind of thing).

Problem is the need to boost Str, Cha, and Con when the racials don't support any of that.

I've decided to go pact of the tome to pick up shillelagh, which will let me use Cha as my attack stat so I don't have to boost Str. I still want to wear plate so I need a str of 15, because of the other MAD stresses on my point buy I've decided to just leave the odd figure in Str. I considered starting with just 14 Str and picking up Heavy Armor Master for the +1 Str and DR later when I could afford plate, but then it slowed down getting my Cha up which I need for a whole lot of other stuff (casting, aura bonuses, etc...).

No where near optimized of course, but will be a fun little fey knight.

Leave Str at home if you plan on using Cha anyway.

Dex 12 (14), Con 15, Cha 15
1st ASI-> +1 Cha and Con.
2nd Asi-> +2 Cha.

Breastplate 14+2 (16 AC)

Or

Since i don't like shilleilaigh.

Dex 15 (17), Con 14, Cha 15
Rapier + Shield
1 st: +1 Dex, +1 Cha
2 nd: Cha or Dex, your choice

AC: 18 (Shield of faith instead of Shillelaighblabla...20 AC)

Anyway talk to your DM, gnomes could be +1 Cha instead of Int.

tieren
2016-02-26, 12:09 PM
Leave Str at home if you plan on using Cha anyway.

Dex 12 (14), Con 15, Cha 15
1st ASI-> +1 Cha and Con.
2nd Asi-> +2 Cha.

Breastplate 14+2 (16 AC)

Or

Since i don't like shilleilaigh.

Dex 15 (17), Con 14, Cha 15
Rapier + Shield
1 st: +1 Dex, +1 Cha
2 nd: Cha or Dex, your choice

AC: 18 (Shield of faith instead of Shillelaighblabla...20 AC)

Anyway talk to your DM, gnomes could be +1 Cha instead of Int.

thanks for the suggestions.

Wearing heavy armor was part of the concept I was building towards, again with an eye to the character I imagined and not to optimization.

I intend to wield a staff one handed and use a shield in full plate while riding a war dog. Shillelagh not only lets me use Cha instead of Str but it also bumps the dmg die from d6 to d8, and I like the idea of imbuing his weapon with the blessing of his fey patron before riding into battle (perhaps as part of a battlecry).

I plan to take warcaster because of the hands full thing, and 2 ASI's to raise the Cha to 20, which will only leave me 2 ASi's, and I don't really count the one I get at 20 (with the MC build pal 8/lock 12), which means I only really get one more to boost something or take another feat.

Oramac
2016-02-26, 12:15 PM
in full plate

Keep in mind Full Plate requires 15 strength. Though you can get around that by finding a set of Mithral Plate, or just convincing your DM to hand-wave it.

Ruslan
2016-02-26, 12:16 PM
Leave Str at home if you plan on using Cha anyway.You need Str 13 to multiclass in or out of Paladin.

Rusvul
2016-02-26, 12:23 PM
You can wear armor without the requisite Strength score, you just take movement penalties. In some circumstances, that may be worth it for the ability to put your stat points elsewhere. (Oddly enough, this means that Wood Elves are less hindered by armor than any other race.)

tieren
2016-02-26, 12:31 PM
Keep in mind Full Plate requires 15 strength. Though you can get around that by finding a set of Mithral Plate, or just convincing your DM to hand-wave it.

That was my point and addressing the OP's question.

I only need 15 Str for the armor requirement and don't plan to raise it further so for my particular concept leaving an odd ability score is a sensible choice (imo).

For a forest gnome paladin to get both Str and Cha to 20 would take their entire career with no other feats.

bid
2016-02-27, 12:05 AM
You can wear armor without the requisite Strength score, you just take movement penalties.
I started loving mobile once I realized it fixes this issue.

Arkhios
2016-02-29, 12:35 AM
One non-optimal class/race combination that comes up to my mind as I tried to build one out of intrigue :P

Mountain Dwarf Wizard or Sorcerer (not Favored Soul)
STR 13 + 2 = 15
DEX 10
CON 15 + 2 = 17
INT 15 (or 8 if Sorcerer)
WIS 10
CHA 8 (or 15 if Sorcerer)

At 4th level, bump STR to 16 with Heavily Armored feat
At 8th level, bump CON and INT/CHA by one each to 18 and 16, respectively
At 12th level, bump INT/CHA to 18
At 16th level, bump INT/CHA to 20
At 19th level, maybe take Tough or bump STR to 18.

All the way you'll be a rather alright gish since you have proficiency with at least medium armor and quite nice martial weapons (warhammer, I'm looking at you), though your AC is slightly gimped for first three levels.

You might hope to get your hands upon "the dwarven three";
1. Belt of Dwarvenkind (+2 CON, plus other nice benefits; one of which speaks for taking sorcerer instead of Wizard)
2. Dwarven Thrower (+3 Warhammer, Thrown 20/60, 2d8 if thrown at giants)
3. Dwarven Plate (+2 Plate, forced movement reduced by 10 feet.)

Actually, Draconic Sorcerer might be better than Wizard for added hit points per level, and a gish needs them.
And you would be proficient with CON saves, which is a huge advantage over wizard.